Garmin 60CSx on sale at REI right now

Just saw this link for $257 in another post on the same subject.

http://www.prestigecamera.com/product.asp?...sx&l=Become

I would be very hesitant to buy anything from Prestige Camera. Just look at their BizRate Profile. Not a pretty picture. :D

Different reviews here, but only way to find the truth is to order for yourself...which I did. Will let you all know how the ordering goes. :tongue:

everyprice reviews

Just had to call to verify my order with them. Got the high pressure sales pitch for all the addons for it. Then he told me I was getting the imported model (all text would be in japanese :tongue: ) and I could upgrade to the USA model for alittle more. Next words out of my mouth was cancel my order, do not buy from!! :D

That's not a bad deal from a bricks 'n mortar retailer. Especially one that has a pretty good rep as far as handling returns and exchanges even though it's not likely you would have to return a Garmin product.

http://www.rei.com/product/735607?cm_re=lp*lp*garmin

This is one of those places that is just not about price. At this price point, it is a great deal and for a few bucks, you join to purchase and get a rebate back at the end of the year, services are beyond reproach, and they stand behind everything they sell.

Different reviews here, but only way to find the truth is to order for yourself...which I did. Will let you all know how the ordering goes. :D

everyprice reviews

Unfortunately everyprice.com is a scam also. Google "everyprice.com scam" and you will see. Use a known and trusted source for business reviews...Bizrate.com and ResellerRatings.com. btw, here is Prestige's report on Reseller Ratings: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo not a pretty picture and you received the same treatment as everyone else from them. I'd keep an eye on you credit card to ensure it doesn't get charged or if they have charged it file a complaint with you card company asap. :tongue:

Edited by Nimnifnof

Ended up getting this unit at REI--I figured if I got it locally I could return it if problems--unlike the Explorist I bought online, paid $350 for and used ONCE! Anyway, REI was packed--even at 8 pm and the guy said the 60CSx had been flying off the shelf as they have never seen! It is very cool--got it set up this morning and am on my way to find some caches!

Just had to call to verify my order with them. Got the high pressure sales pitch for all the addons for it. Then he told me I was getting the imported model (all text would be in japanese :anitongue: ) and I could upgrade to the USA model for alittle more. Next words out of my mouth was cancel my order, do not buy from!! :anitongue:

I don't believe that there is a Japanese model, Garmin doesn't even sell maps of Japan. In any case their website says:

Included Software/Maps North America Maps, South America Maps

which means that it has the North America basemap (why would the Japanese version come with a North America basemap?) or they are including City Navigator or MetroGuide maps of North America for free.

I wonder what excuse the slimebags would come up with if you called them on their bluff and said the Japanese model would be fine.

Just had to call to verify my order with them. Got the high pressure sales pitch for all the addons for it. Then he told me I was getting the imported model (all text would be in japanese :) ) and I could upgrade to the USA model for alittle more. Next words out of my mouth was cancel my order, do not buy from!! :)

From Garmin:

GPSMAP 60CSx, Americas 010-00422-00

GPSMAP 60CSx, Americas, Outdoor Pack 010-00422-04

GPSMAP 60CSx, Japan 010-00422-05

Always check the model number...

Ended up getting this unit at REI--I figured if I got it locally I could return it if problems--unlike the Explorist I bought online, paid $350 for and used ONCE! Anyway, REI was packed--even at 8 pm and the guy said the 60CSx had been flying off the shelf as they have never seen! It is very cool--got it set up this morning and am on my way to find some caches!

Have fun with your 60csx. Fading technology with an obsolete mapping system. The Triton will leave the x in the dust.

I just picked up a 60CSx from the local REI this afternoon. I know I could have saved a few bucks buying online, but I'm a huge fan of REI and have had some really great customer service experiences with them, so I like to buy from them when I can.

I'm impressed with the unit so far. This is an upgrade from my five-year-old Magellan Meridian Color unit. So far, the Garmin blows the Magellan out of the water.

I just need to get some mapping software for it now.

Have fun with your 60csx. Fading technology with an obsolete mapping system. The Triton will leave the x in the dust.

Why do I always unhide your posts? I don't believe I've seen a single post from you in which you don't come off as some elitist jerk.

We got ours at REI a few days before the sale, knowing that we could call for a price adjustment later. They did that without question and mailed a new receipt which we have received. Love those guys!

First GPS. Enjoying it. Accurate. And haven't read the directions yet, except for calibrating the compass. Old tech or not it does the job I need it for and that's what counts.

The 60CSX on sale at REI is about $100 more than the Vista HCX delivered price from many internet stores. Is the slightly larger screen worth that much? Seems like that's the major difference.

For me, knowing my wife would be operating the unit frequently while I'm driving, the clearly labeled buttons are a big plus.

A bigger screen certainly doesn't hurt either.

-murray

I didn't like the joystick. All buttons will fail at some point but I thought the 60 rocker button would hold up better over time. But that was just my impression.

I looked at the HCX but even the sales guy, who sounded like he knew a thing or two, was having trouble with the stick. But, then again, I like big, bulky looking electronic devices. I'm less likely to lose them.

Edited by piratejimmy