Lottery ticket winner in geocache

Lacomo

I placed a new cache yesterday at a historic old bank labled as 'THE SMALLEST BANK IN MISSOURI’ GC15CAX and put 2 Missouri Scratch off lottery tickets in it. Trafftoo, a cacher I know from a neighboring town 50 miles away found it yesterday evening and posted a Found It note saying one of the lottery tickets was a $50 winner.

I thought that was pretty neat getting Cash from a Cache at a Bank. If there were more caches like this I'll bet there would be more geocachers.

I placed a new cache yesterday at a historic old bank labled as 'THE SMALLEST BANK IN MISSOURI’ GC15CAX and put 2 Missouri Scratch off lottery tickets in it. Trafftoo, a cacher I know from a neighboring town 50 miles away found it yesterday evening and posted a Found It note saying one of the lottery tickets was a $50 winner.

I thought that was pretty neat getting Cash from a Cache at a Bank. If there were more caches like this I'll bet there would be more geocachers.

Scratchers! Now why didn't I think of that? What a great idea and for only a buck.

Thanks, lacomo. You've inspired me.

I wouldn't put a lottery ticket in a cache. What if it was a big winner? I'd never forgive myself for giving it away and every time I saw the winner at an event gloating and lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills I'd be so jealous.

Yeah. maybe I should start scratrching them off before I put them in a cache. I could still say there were lottery tickets in the cache, just not say anything about them being scratched off....LOL

By the way, I put lottery tickets in a lot of my caches for the FTF prize.

Perhaps you can all take solace in the knowledge that, if you do place what turns out to be a winner in a cache, you won't have to deal with the tax burden. Particularly if you are of the sort who would not elect to report it as income to the IRS. It's cold comfort, to be sure, to the guy who gave away $1000, but it's something.

Edited by x_Marks_the_spot

We've used instant scratch tickets as our signature item since we started caching. I have to give the wife credit for the idea, but it works great. We try to buy the ones that support the Maine Outdoor Heritage Fund so we provide money for that, a chance for an adult geocacher to maybe trade for something besides a McDonald's toy, AND it cost a dollar for the kids to trade for something they want. A win-win in our humble opinion. We always put in our log to remember us if you win, and we have heard of a few winners, but nothing bank breaking - YET

I wouldn't put a lottery ticket in a cache. What if it was a big winner? I'd never forgive myself for giving it away and every time I saw the winner at an event gloating and lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills I'd be so jealous.

Really? I think I'd have the opposite reaction.

Someone is going to end up with that winning ticket, and it's not going to be me, since I never buy them for myself. So who would I rather have it go to: some random person I have never heard of and never will hear of, or a local cacher who will then think that the hermit crabs are the best thing since ice cream, since we made them rich? :D

We found a cache that had a $100 gift card in it.... the cache had even been found by people between the person who left the card, and us. What a great surprise!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...c1-3409da9e2779

thats cool. my only question is: did you replace it with something of equal value? just curious........

Well, we don't normally carry $100 of cache goodies with us, but we left a lot of items! We figured that it was a gift given with the spirit of making someone else happy, and that made our daughters very happy that day!

We give back to the sport with the caches that we place, also.

I don't remember the person's name that left it (they identified themself in the logbook), but they never logged their find online. Maybe they are the type of person that likes to give anonomously? At any rate, it made that hike a very special hike.

The odds are roughly the same as the cacher getting hit by lightning while hunting the cache. You wouldn't let that stop you from placing a cache, would you?

We've used instant scratch tickets as our signature item since we started caching. I have to give the wife credit for the idea, but it works great. We try to buy the ones that support the Maine Outdoor Heritage Fund so we provide money for that, a chance for an adult geocacher to maybe trade for something besides a McDonald's toy, AND it cost a dollar for the kids to trade for something they want. A win-win in our humble opinion. We always put in our log to remember us if you win, and we have heard of a few winners, but nothing bank breaking - YET

Yes, signature items. :anitongue: You could even make it the entire basis of your geocaching identity, as This couple has!! They didn't start out with that name though, changed it after a while. You see anyone who has won (and told them about it), is listed in the profile. I'm on there twice for a whopping total of $2 in winnings.

Perhaps you can all take solace in the knowledge that, if you do place what turns out to be a winner in a cache, you won't have to deal with the tax burden. Particularly if you are of the sort who would not elect to report it as income to the IRS. It's cold comfort, to be sure, to the guy who gave away $1000, but it's something.

The last part of that $1000 winner log is encrypted. If you decrypt it you will see that the ticket actually only won $3.

I found a lotto scratcher as a FTF prize and it won $4 which is much better than they normally do if I purchase them for myself. I always stick one in every stocking at Christmas. Sometimes they even pay off.

It's funny. I was thinking about this scenario a few nights ago. In AZ one of our lottery things was up to like 300 million and I started wondering what would happen if someone put a ticket in a cache and it was the 300 million dollar winner. It's sad to say, but I'm sure the person who put it in there would feel entitled to part of the reward even though they gave it up and someone else grabbed it and won. Then a really lame legal battle would ensue and in the end no one would care except the two parties involved. Maybe even the cache owner might jump in and decide that they were entitled to a sum because "technically" they owned it for a while. What a mess. Geocaching would look really bad if that sort of thing happened. Like when people catch the baseballs and then fight over the money. how sad.

The fake lottery tickets are the best idea though, IMHO.