Cheap and cool geocache containers

I am planning on placing a type of a multicache where I use many different geocache containers. I am wondering what are some cool and cheap geocache containers and where can I get them? Also where can I get regular 35 mm containers and other regular geocache containers? Where can I buy camoflage duct tape, not on the internet?

Edited by superfastcacher

I have found different-shaped cookie and candy tins at Thrift Stores for reasonable prices. Lock 'n Lock containers can be found at Target and Wal-mart. They come in all different sizes and shapes. Sometimes Wal-mart has the cammo tape . . . sometimes not . . . :(

I have purchased different colors of spray paint at a nearby Auto Parts store for more reasonable prices than at the "Art Store." That works pretty well on the metal containers. Black duct tape also works if you are hiding the container in the dark shadow under a tree or bush.

You can usually get free film canisters anywhere film is developed, you just have to ask.

We also use sports bottles. With a little aquarium grade silicone in the drinking spout, it becomes very water proof. I put it in the inside of the lid to ensure nothing could tear away at the silicone. Infact, on anything that you need to seal off a small hole or slit, aquarium grade silicone will work to plug it up. You can get it cheaply at Lowes or Home Depot in varying sized tubes.

You can usually get free film canisters anywhere film is developed, you just have to ask.

We also use sports bottles. With a little aquarium grade silicone in the drinking spout, it becomes very water proof. I put it in the inside of the lid to ensure nothing could tear away at the silicone. Infact, on anything that you need to seal off a small hole or slit, aquarium grade silicone will work to plug it up. You can get it cheaply at Lowes or Home Depot in varying sized tubes.

If you use film canisters, and I don't recommend it, don't use the black ones with the gray lids. Those are definitely not waterproof. The Fuji type, with the lid that fits inside, are more weatherproof. If you want a container about that size, the plastic waterproof match containers in the camping section at Wal-Mart are less than a dollar and they work better.

Where can I buy camoflage duct tape, not on the internet?

Walmart or any place that sells hunting supplies.

I am wondering what are some cool and cheap geocache containers and where can I get them?

Lock n Locks. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, are inexpensive and are found in Walmart, Target and many grocery stores.

Here are two articles I wrote on cache containers last year that might be helpful.

Micro containers

Regular sized containers

Ace Hardware stores in California sell Krylon camouflage spray paint. It works pretty good. I haven't used it on any cache containers but I've slowly been painting my truck and some other camping utensils with it.

I've been seeing some cool tins in the offices of the building I've been working in lately. OLN sports magnetic toy containers. They come in a lot of different shapes and sizes. I'm going to have to shop around for them. The ones I saw gave me some good ideas.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by potshot

I'd also recommend staying away from the film cannisters. Their not that water proof and over the long haul they just don't stand up to the elements, at least not around my neck of the woods. Opt for the match holder or if you know anyone that is diabetic, ask them for their used test strip containers. They are about the same size as a film cannister(slightly smaller), have an attached flip cover and more importantly keep the elements out alot better. Plus they don't cost you a thing!

You might also want to think about using some of the waterproof beach containers (the kind you can get to put your keys in and such at the beach). They're definately waterproof and you can get 12 for around $5 at the Oriental Trading Co. online.

School supply sites also sell test tubes that are thick plastic (similar to pop bottle forms) and they have screw on lids. They're also very waterproof and you can get them pretty cheap online too. They are usually 6 inches long and about 1 1/2 to 2 in. in diameter. We have a bunch as we homeschool, and those things get dropped like crazy and still haven't broken in 5 years.

We are particularly big fans of cylindrical items with threaded lids. They tend to be fantastically waterproof. So we have used Nalgene bottles and thermoses (with the glass insulator removed). Both of these are only really economical for us if they come from a thrift store.

But for God's sake, man, don't ask anyone around here about Peanut Butter jars! Ah!! Oh no! What have I done?!?

I have some M&M's tubes out there that have been holding up very well in the weather. They now come in 3 or 4 sizes and lots of colors. The black ones or Shrek (brown with black swirls) need very little camo.

Just about every major department store and grocery store is carrying Lock & Locks. They come in a lot of sizes including some very small ones.

I was on the phone to my brother the other day, and I was explaining the hobby to him. His response was amazing: he came up with a couple container ideas the were just brilliant.

One that I can't wait to try out is this: he wants me to seal up the bizzness end of a turkey baster with silicone, and then take off the bulb end, put in a scroll and a pencil, and voila!

What do you think?

I have some M&M's tubes out there that have been holding up very well in the weather. They now come in 3 or 4 sizes and lots of colors. The black ones or Shrek (brown with black swirls) need very little camo.

Just about every major department store and grocery store is carrying Lock & Locks. They come in a lot of sizes including some very small ones.

I personaly HATE food container caches. I mean actual things that food have been eaten out of. Like smarty tubes and other strange food containers. My policy is if your into geocaching, put alittle money into it. Try lock n' lock. :rolleyes:

At the paintball/airsoft/BB-gun isle in Wal-Mart there are tubes that can hold 400 paint-balls,they are waterproof,the cap is spring-loaded (when you open it the cap flips open) and stand up to the elements really well.They need camoing,but for $2 a container it's worth it.

Creativity makes the best cache. I recently made a cache out of the small silica preservefr at the bottom of a tylenol bottle. With a few drops of boat glue this container became waterproof. Next I assembled a few copper tubes together and placed it near a water line. I get plenty of comments on the construction and ultimately this cost me nothing as I found these existing pieces in the shed.I would definately shy away from any type of food containers as the critters can even smell through bleach.It is satisfying to sign a log in a bison hung in a tree but it is memorable when you have to work a bit for it.

I was on the phone to my brother the other day, and I was explaining the hobby to him. His response was amazing: he came up with a couple container ideas the were just brilliant.

One that I can't wait to try out is this: he wants me to seal up the bizzness end of a turkey baster with silicone, and then take off the bulb end, put in a scroll and a pencil, and voila!

What do you think?

Try getting the log and pencil out of the baster and bulb ends....I am thinking of a cacher who may inadvertently put it in too far - beyond the reach of tweezers.

I've found screw top travel containers that hold up well, and are found at the dollar store in a bag of six. Six for a dollar? I have only placed one in the wild, but stuffed the others with tissue paper and left them on my porch all winter. The paper is nice and dry...

A quick check reveals the OP is from Minnesota (land of 10,000 lakes and 20,000,000 gophers) for a year-round container you may wish to avoid plastics, which become brittle in cold. While Lock-and-Lock containers are a favoutite among many, the hinges may not take kindly to being bent by finders during Winter.

Avoid any steel containers which are not galvanized against corrosion if the cache will be fully exposed to the elements.

Your best bet may be Nalgene drinking bottles, the sort with the wide mouth.

Bicycling water bottles may work, but often leak a bit. A little work with silicone sealant may help you there.