Garmin 1000 waypoints limit

Rhialto

Why do you think there is such a limit? Do you think having more would slow down the response time of the unit? Any engineer around? :-) Or is it a simple decision from them?

Having a 2Gb carb I sure would like to get all caches in Québec (found or not) to be listed. I would like to get a PQ with all Québec caches (but I know about the 500 limit) then import in GSAK and update my Garmin once a week. That would be awesome.

Having a 2Gb carb I sure would like to get all caches in Québec (found or not) to be listed. I would like to get a PQ with all Québec caches (but I know about the 500 limit) then import in GSAK and update my Garmin once a week. That would be awesome.

There may be limits in the firmware imposed by hardware, or limits imposed by the language used to write the firmware, marketing reasons, etc.

Option: put your caches in a gpx and convert them to POI using garmin's freeware POILoader. You can store gobs of caches that way. Not truly unlimited but close enough for our purposes.

Put your caches in a gpx and convert them to POI using garmin's freeware POILoader. You can store gobs of caches that way. Not truly unlimited but close enough for our purposes.

I second that, the POI loader is the way to go. You can also have custom icons & different category's, the category's make it easy to find exactly what your looking for even when you have allot of custom POIs.

Edited by hogrod

Do you keep the Geocaching function working in the compass page?

I don't use garmin geocaching mode, mostly because I can only use one waypoint icon type (defaults are open/closed treasure box). The only downside is I cant mark any waypoints as found or easily from the compass screen view the waypoint hint.

the plus side of this is with the POI files I no longer accidentally hit found on the compass screen like I used to using the geocache mode. To view the hint I need to go into the find menu and navigate to the waypoint, seems to me though that garmin could make all waypoints have the Note/hint page on the compass screen.