Geo-Litter

Just a thought accured to me.... With a ever larger number of caches being archived are some of these being left in place...

I know that certain caches are archived because they have gone missing, but others are abandoned by cachers no longer active...

Has anyone come accross geo-litter from old caches ?

Do you think we could in our travels of the countryside visit old archived spots and have a look ?

e.g. look after our own and do a bit of CITO !

Just a thought accured to me.... With a ever larger number of caches being archived are some of these being left in place...

I know that certain caches are archived because they have gone missing, but others are abandoned by cachers no longer active...

Do you think we could in our travels of the countryside visit old archived spots and have a look ?

I stumbled across an archived cache that had been abandoned complete with look book and swaps.

Didn't know what to do about it at the time as it was not showing on my multi map.

I took it home and when I checked it out, it had been archived 12 months before.

I think it would be a good idea to check out old archived caches if your in the area, especially(sp) if they have been archived due to lack of maintenance/interest and the owners are not participating in the hobby anymore.

Don't forget you can log archived caches too. :(

Yes I've done just this with this cache, when it was archived I suspected there would be geo-litter left, follow my log over 12 months.

It was quite a few months before I was in the area though.

With the current rate of caches being archived by the reviewers I expect there to be an awful amount of geo-litter out there, unfortunately caches can not be adopted where the placer can not be contacted, and it is these caches and those that are not being maintained that are being archived by the reviewers.

Certainly collect all the geo-litter of which you are aware. Another consideration is the view of reviewers that archiving caches free up the area for future placements but may indeed cause confusion if physical elements of caches are still in place!

I removed this cache and then used it's contents and container to service another nearby cache that belonged to the same person.

Must admit that I have removed any of my archived caches.. Even if they are 200 miles away lol.

GCVF80

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-b17d6d1f9287

But I am pretty sure I know of some archived caches where the box is still in place.. So if passing should I remove them or leave them in place?

I wonder what percentage of caches archived for whatever reason, are actually re-visited by the owner to retreive the box and intermediate stages and not just left as Geolitter?

Thoughts.

The same thoughts have occurred to me, every time I have to archive a cache in fact :( I suspect the answer is a very low percentage.

I wonder what percentage of caches archived for whatever reason, are actually re-visited by the owner to retreive the box and intermediate stages and not just left as Geolitter?

Thoughts.

The same thoughts have occurred to me, every time I have to archive a cache in fact :( I suspect the answer is a very low percentage.

Would it be possible to have a list of future 'forced' (by the moderators) archived caches, so that local cachers could then go out and CITO the remains? I know that I would be happy to pick up any local dead caches.

Thoughts.

Would it be possible to have a list of future 'forced' (by the moderators) archived caches, so that local cachers could then go out and CITO the remains? I know that I would be happy to pick up any local dead caches.

If geocache.com will not provide this feature can we in England produce a list of volunteers in various parts of the country that the moderators could notify when a box is archived in the way Lactodorum has just mentioned whereby they are sure that nothing is to be done...

I would be only too happy to pop out to grab a local 'bad' box for this area if notified !

Thoughts.

If geocache.com will not provide this feature can we in England produce a list of volunteers in various parts of the country that the moderators could notify when a box is archived in the way Lactodorum has just mentioned whereby they are sure that nothing is to be done...

I would be only too happy to pop out to grab a local 'bad' box for this area if notified !

Me too! South Lancs or North Cheshire

I suppose I could keep a bookmark list of such caches, in the same way as with my Travelbug Rescue list.

I do my best to keep a full UK gsak database, and usually pickup on archived caches within a week.

Give me a few days, as my main caching computer is on the fritz, and I'll see what I can come up with.

But.......

before we go about removing archived caches left right and centre, I have to bring up a valid point which is brought up in other parts of the gc.com forums.

A listing that has been archived on geocaching.com may exist on another cache listing service - a rarity I know, but if a cache looks like it's still in good condition it'd be worthwhile checking before removal.

You can't identify an archived cache on GC.com without knowing the GC number.

If you have been caching for a while and have been keeping an offline GSAK database you can manually update them and identify caches that have been archived. However, GC.com doesn't help you with this. As far as they're concerned when a cache is archived it's gone.

In the interestes of the sports reputation and generally in the spirit of 'doing the right thing' it would be usefull if they added a check box on the Pocket Queries generation page that would allow you to get this info.

As the data is still in the database it wouldn't be that much of an onerous programming task and it would allow any memebr to get an uptodate list and then do some CITO work.

But.......

before we go about removing archived caches left right and centre, I have to bring up a valid point which is brought up in other parts of the gc.com forums.

A listing that has been archived on geocaching.com may exist on another cache listing service - a rarity I know, but if a cache looks like it's still in good condition it'd be worthwhile checking before removal.

Which is one of the reasons Groundspeak prefers its reviewers not to set up "cleaning" lists of archived caches such as has been suggested here.

However, to my mind, in the UK at least, there is minimal danger of this being the case so if an "unofficial" list were set up ............................................................ :(

Not that the reviewers could contribute to it.

Groundspeak already provide the feature :( (for PMs).

Just set up notifications for archived caches in your chosen area here.

Is there a way of dumping the infomation on a thread here in the forum? maybe once a week. Is there a way of searching for recently archived caches. Just a thought

Thought there was a little list/competition (here on the forum -12? months ago?) with a list of caches that could be "tidied up/removed" that had been archieved, so the area was left without geolitter?

We would be up for removing/checking archieved caches in our area...

G

Groundspeak already provide the feature :( (for PMs).

Nice one Alan. Didn't think of that!

Oss!

3 new notifications set up 10 miles frm h/a in Bucks

After adopting a cache from a non-active cacher earlier this year we met up for a chat. He told me I could have a cache he'd placed in 2003 which had never been published due to not getting Forestry Commission permission. I found it OK (with a GRSr strangely enough) and it's now been re-used. It was fully loaded and won in a geocaching competition originally so I'm told. :( Shame you can't log non-published caches. :D

He has another archived cache which I must go and check up on.

Groundspeak already provide the feature :D (for PMs).

I thought this was a great idea and went to set up a new notification of archived caches in my area. But i'll be damned if I can find how to select for caches being archived?

Edit: Ignore me I have just found out how to do it. Never looked hard enough. :tongue:

Edited by Haggis Hunter

by the way it is possible for caches to be adopted when the owner can't be contacted, the process is a pain but entirely possible.

Yes, it is possible. I recently did just that. First, I tried contacting the owner, and the email was returned "undeliverable". I then posted the effort as a note to the cache, and contacted my local reviewer, sending the info to him as well. He posted a notice on the cache page for 30 days to wait response from the cache owner. The cache was then moved to my account.

Naturally, should the owner ever return (doubtful), I would happily give the cache back, if they desire. Meanwhile, I will keep it maintained and active.

Thoughts.

The same thoughts have occurred to me, every time I have to archive a cache in fact :anitongue: I suspect the answer is a very low percentage.

I wouldn't claim this is statistically valid research, but just for interest I looked for archived caches in our area. It's rather tedious work as the only way to do it is to filter on archived caches and see what the last logs say. From a smallish sample of less than 100 caches I conclude that about 1 in 20 caches may have been archived with the box still in place.

Of course, there's no way of knowing whether the owner went to pick up the cache and didn't log the fact, but as most forced archiving is because of inactivity by the owner I suggest that it's unlikely that that would have happened.

So if the 5% is typical then there are over 1000 pieces of geolitter out there :anitongue:. Plus all those that were washed away by the floods.

Do Reviewers see "needs maintainance" notes.?

NO the only logs we get notified of are SBA and Update Coordinate Logs [as someone found out on a double move to their cache :anitongue: ]

Needs Maintenance logs were added to allow issues to be highlighted to the cache owner without involving Reviewers.

And we don't get notified of Reviewer Notes made to caches either.