Nastiest Trash You Ever Removed

Knobhiker

I'm new to geocaching, but not to the idea of leave it better than you found it. Over time, I've removed some "interesting" trash.

Once on the local river, I tied a small water heater to the back of my kayak. Pleased with my effort, I pondered how the river owed me an exceptional experience. I thought of songbirds that I had not yet ever seen. Then I thought, "It's too late in the season for a new warbler sighting." So I thought that I would settle of a bird of prey. Within 10 minutes, a Bald Eagle rounded the turn in the river and flew right over me! WOW!!!

But I wonder how gross a trash removal some of you would do. Last week I found my 3rd cache. At the parking lot I found lots of Saturday night trash to clean up. There lay a used condom. I wasn't going to touch that! Then I thought of the little kids fishing with their families. Who wants nasty condoms laying around where your kids play! So I took a Skoll (spelling?) can and carefully scrapped it off the pavement. Gross, yah, but I am glad I did it.

How gross do you all go for CITO?

Edited by Knobhiker

I have picked up used toiletpaper, used tampons and even the elusive Corn Speckled Brown Trout :laughing: during trail cleanup days. Of course I have to mentally prepare for these events.

Typically if it involves excrement, carcass or bodily fluids and I am not there for the sole purpose of cleaning I will leave it. If it is near a water supply or poses a health hazzard I will try to return with the needed tools for the job (protective equipment).

I learned my trail manners from my 4 wheeling buddies and we take it very seriously.

used condoms and syringes (sorry for the spelling) are common near some of the caches around my home. (ie in the parks they are located in..... still working on finding the actual caches :laughing: ) I try to make sure I have gloves and plastic bags all the time to dispose of them, too many kids in these parks to leave them laying there!

figure its better an adult picking them up than a kid, at least we know how to do it safely.

My worst was a 24-er 2nd WW RAF bomb near a Hamburg playground, in a small forest we just opened for the kids to play in. I was team member of the forestry that time. Not very nasty (esthetically looked) but on the other hand... I had to take it into my car and drive away a bit (then I called the cops), for there was no chance to wait for the police or someone better experienced, as the children all wanted to see (and touch, I suppose even taste) it...

My worst was a 24-er 2nd WW RAF bomb near a Hamburg playground, in a small forest we just opened for the kids to play in. I was team member of the forestry that time. Not very nasty (esthetically looked) but on the other hand... I had to take it into my car and drive away a bit (then I called the cops), for there was no chance to wait for the police or someone better experienced, as the children all wanted to see (and touch, I suppose even taste) it...

unfortunatly kids have no sense of how dangerous something like this could be for them <_< nice to know it was you that found it and not one of them!!!

I'm new to geocaching, but not to the idea of leave it better than you found it. Over time, I've removed some "interesting" trash.

Once on the local river, I tied a small water heater to the back of my kayak. Pleased with my effort, I pondered how the river owed me an exceptional experience. I thought of songbirds that I had not yet ever seen. Then I thought, "It's too late in the season for a new warbler sighting." So I thought that I would settle of a bird of prey. Within 10 minutes, a Bald Eagle rounded the turn in the river and flew right over me! WOW!!!

But I wonder how gross a trash removal some of you would do. Last week I found my 3rd cache. At the parking lot I found lots of Saturday night trash to clean up. There lay a used condom. I wasn't going to touch that! Then I thought of the little kids fishing with their families. Who wants nasty condoms laying around where your kids play! So I took a Skoll (spelling?) can and carefully scrapped it off the pavement. Gross, yah, but I am glad I did it.

How gross do you all go for CITO?

okay call me a redneck SKOAL

This occurred before I was a cacher, but everytime I tell the story, people laugh:

I was at a local park with some friends for a picnic. We were under the pavilion, when a pickup pulled up on the parking lot. A young woman got out first, with her baby. "rough" looking male companion got out next and walked away from the truck. The woman laid the little guy in the back of the truck, changed his diaper ( we could smell it 20 feet away) and proceeded to drop it in the grass next to our pavilion. There were 3 trashcans closer than us. Then, she walked away, presumably to join ROugh on a hike. One friend said to us, "I dare somebody to pick that up." I wasn't married, and had no kids, but had changed plenty of diapers in my time anyway. So, I picked it up, opened the door to their truck ( they were dumb enough to leave it unlocked, so they deserved it ) and dropped it, dirty side down, on the seat. It was nice and hot that day, too, and the windows in the truck were up. The rest of our group waslaughing hysterically. Not to be outdone, my friend Chris grabbed a piece of scrap paper and wrote: "I think you accidentally dropped this" on the paper, opened the door, and put it on the diaper. Then, we waited.

There were several groups enjoying the park that day. they gave us a standing ovation when we sat back down. Hoping no one would squeal, we waited for the truck owner's return. ABout 30 minutes later, they came back. The look on Mr. Rough's face was priceless. We all heard the woman say, "I didn't put it in here! How stupid do you think I am? They started arguing and looked a bit lost. Chris sttod up, walked over, asked if everything was ok, real innocently. Then, she came over to us, grabbed some paper towels and gave them to the woman. I heard her say, "Sorry, we've been here all day but we didn't see anyone near your truck. the nerve of some people!"

You put and old and most likely unstable bomb in your car and drove it out of the area. Your lucky it didn't go off and kill you and the occupants of every car near you. Next time keep the kids away from it, call the police and wait for the cops to arrive. Old unexploded ordnance is not something amateurs should deal with.

This occurred before I was a cacher, but everytime I tell the story, people laugh:

I was at a local park with some friends for a picnic. We were under the pavilion, when a pickup pulled up on the parking lot. A young woman got out first, with her baby. "rough" looking male companion got out next and walked away from the truck. The woman laid the little guy in the back of the truck, changed his diaper ( we could smell it 20 feet away) and proceeded to drop it in the grass next to our pavilion. There were 3 trashcans closer than us. Then, she walked away, presumably to join ROugh on a hike. One friend said to us, "I dare somebody to pick that up." I wasn't married, and had no kids, but had changed plenty of diapers in my time anyway. So, I picked it up, opened the door to their truck ( they were dumb enough to leave it unlocked, so they deserved it ) and dropped it, dirty side down, on the seat. It was nice and hot that day, too, and the windows in the truck were up. The rest of our group waslaughing hysterically. Not to be outdone, my friend Chris grabbed a piece of scrap paper and wrote: "I think you accidentally dropped this" on the paper, opened the door, and put it on the diaper. Then, we waited.

There were several groups enjoying the park that day. they gave us a standing ovation when we sat back down. Hoping no one would squeal, we waited for the truck owner's return. ABout 30 minutes later, they came back. The look on Mr. Rough's face was priceless. We all heard the woman say, "I didn't put it in here! How stupid do you think I am? They started arguing and looked a bit lost. Chris sttod up, walked over, asked if everything was ok, real innocently. Then, she came over to us, grabbed some paper towels and gave them to the woman. I heard her say, "Sorry, we've been here all day but we didn't see anyone near your truck. the nerve of some people!"

That's awesome! Wish I was there to witness it! :laughing:

We've come across remnants of a meth lab, condoms, I think the grossest was a very soiled pair of tighty whiteys! They were about 4 feet from the cache! We were very relieved it wasn't the cache!

Found a mushy wet diaper, but couldn't trash it, as it was being used to hide a micro....

So, which was the trash? The diaper or the micro? :laughing:

A micro hidden in a diaper! I respectfully suggest both should have been CITO'ed out.

I've trashed out syringes, diapers, and underclothing. But really bugs me most is the untold numbers that have the audacity to consider themselves educated adults that don't yet have the maturity or knowledge required to properly operate a trashcan.

This may be slightly off-topic, but in regards to the micro in a diaper...

Last week, on ebay, I searched for geocaches...got lots of responses... Some of them were for cache containers. I was shocked. Besides the standard ammo cans and magnetic key rings, someone was selling "containers" shaped like "doggie doo!" I'll stick to the standard ammo cans, tupperware and film containers, thank you very much! :P

PRICELESS!!!!!!

You put and old and most likely unstable bomb in your car and drove it out of the area. Your lucky it didn't go off and kill you and the occupants of every car near you. Next time keep the kids away from it, call the police and wait for the cops to arrive. Old unexploded ordnance is not something amateurs should deal with.

I did not want to be too detailed. A 24-er won't kill occupants of any other car than mine. And a screwed-off-nose 24-er the less :-) I screwed the nose off because I dealt with them quite a long time, not really being an amateur - the forestry uniform was not my first green one :-)

I did not want to be too detailed. A 24-er won't kill occupants of any other car than mine. And a screwed-off-nose 24-er the less :-) I screwed the nose off because I dealt with them quite a long time, not really being an amateur - the forestry uniform was not my first green one :-)

A bomb that old probably won't explode. But then a man's gotta die sometime. Your actions may have not have been the wisest but your heart is sure in the right place

A bomb that old probably won't explode. But then a man's gotta die sometime. Your actions may have not have been the wisest but your heart is sure in the right place

But it could...

I remember something about this from a Discovery or History Channel program some time back,

"The two unexploded mines were planned to be dismantled by the British but with the impending start of the Third Battle of Ypres, there was always something else to do. When the Germans launched their Lys Offensive in April, 1918, the British HQ was overrun and the documents relating to these two mines was lost and they never were dug up. The precise location of them was not known and they were forgotten until during a thunderstorm on 17th July, 1955, one of them exploded. No one was killed but the explosion did some slight damage to some distant property.

The other mine is, as far as anyone knows, still lurking under the Flanders countryside. "

I found that on this site.

You have nerves of steel

Skisidedown

the worst was some kampers that cleaned up their site nice & last thing they did was dump the porta-potty out on the island.......we came back the next evening & cleaned it up best we could........then the NEXT WEEK they were back & we gave them the "stink eye" while they backed up & they took their poop bucket home that day!

I found a cache once where the log was so wet and moldy I couldn't sign it. How Gross! :)

More on topic. We have found many of the above items as well as a drug stash in Scottsdale, AZ. Critter parts don't bother us, it is the leftovers from human activities that are the worst. We found an old sofa once out in the middle of the woods. No idea how it got there but it was way too big for us to remove.

I found a cache once where the log was so wet and moldy I couldn't sign it. How Gross! :D

More on topic. We have found many of the above items as well as a drug stash in Scottsdale, AZ. Critter parts don't bother us, it is the leftovers from human activities that are the worst. We found an old sofa once out in the middle of the woods. No idea how it got there but it was way too big for us to remove.

I think I may have also found that same moldy "log" a while back. If the sofa was at the Ant-Hill cache, that sofa was still up there as of last fall... not to mention about several hundred booze bottles and and cans. :D There also appeared to be a makeshift dwelling next to the sofa. It was dark when I hit this cache and I was on my own so I opted to not see if anyone was home. :D I found the cache and left quietly like I came.

Edited by will1266

I found a cache once where the log was so wet and moldy I couldn't sign it. How Gross! :D

If it's at the City island cache, that sofa was still up there as of last fall... not to mention about several hundred booze bottles and and cans. :D There also appeared to be a makeshift dwelling next to the sofa. It was dark when I hit this cache and I was on my own so I opted to not see if anyone was home. :D I found the cache and left quietly like I came.

I saw the bottles etc. there but somehow managed to miss the sofa. I don't think I will go back to check for it though. B)

I was not here for this "find" but it lives on in our cacheing group. My wife was out with a female friend doing a couple of caches. At one of them the other women found and picked up a "flashlight" ,,,But it was not a flashlight, it was another battery operated device! Similar size and all ,,,,she screamed when she realized what she was holding at tossed it by reflex,,,it must still be out there.

I went to a cache and found a skinned, rotting, deer carcase. It had turned green on someone and they just dumped it at the cache parking spot.

I loaded it in my truck and took it deep into the woods and well off the road where people wouldn't see it and the coyotes would eat it.

remind me never to ride in YOUR truck. EEEW. Good going though, its good that got removed, just glad i didn't have to do it.

I cache in a forest that permits dogs. The dog owners in general are very responsible and use a plastic bag to remove their dog's waste. However, some people go to all the trouble of collecting the poop - and then fling the bag into the woods. They may think they have disposed of the dog waste but sadly they are very mistaken. :o

I haven't done any CITO events yet (thinking about organizing one though), but I am actively involved in Trout Unlimited and we do trash cleanups at several streams in the area annually. I've seen it ALL (well, not the adult toys as mentioned earlier, but most everything else is fair game).

I did two clean ups this year and had the same trash-pickin-up-buddy at both of them. See the theme...

arbck2.jpg

arbucklestocking08017a.jpg

dirtygirl.jpg

Problem is that in one of these wild trout streams you can stand in one spot for a couple of hours and fill the bags up...

troutjugs.jpg

Edited by WVangler

WVangler, that pile of bottles and jugs is just wrong :rolleyes: Why cant people just throw stuff in the trash? Heck I have a few cans in my car, a lot more than normal, but better in my car than on the side of the road!

A few years back when at a park on the lake (lake ontario) with my Ex-girlfriend, I found a syringe down by the water, and decided that it was best to remove it. Using two sticks i picked it up between them and carried it about 200 yards to a trash can. I just couldnt leave it there and have some poor young kid pick it up and get hurt or possibly infected with god-knows what.

Im brand spankin new to caching though, yet to get out (looks like were in for some snow here so probably gonna be a while) but Ive got a new Garmin Etrex Venture HC :) ill have to start carrying a bag with me for trash and some gloves too...my current girlfriend and I love being outdoors, She bought me (us) a tandem Kayak this year for my birthday, and I had bought her a nice hybrid bicycle last summer for her HS grad present. She sounds interested in joining me in the new hobby of geocaching, and she just got a gps for christmas for her car, so we can now go anywhere :)

Edited by woodchuckssuck

I haven't done any CITO events yet (thinking about organizing one though), but I am actively involved in Trout Unlimited and we do trash cleanups at several streams in the area annually. I've seen it ALL (well, not the adult toys as mentioned earlier, but most everything else is fair game).

I did two clean ups this year and had the same trash-pickin-up-buddy at both of them. See the theme...

arbck2.jpg

arbucklestocking08017a.jpg

dirtygirl.jpg

Problem is that in one of these wild trout streams you can stand in one spot for a couple of hours and fill the bags up...

troutjugs.jpg

Is the size of the underwear a reflection of the size of the trout found in the stream?

Nasty has a range of meanings when it comes to trash.

In our first CITO Event called Heavy Lift we removed a trash dam that was obstructing a local waterway, it was really causing some issues. The city told us they had a "file of complaints" open on the problem and I replied that we weren't complaining - we wanted to clean it up for fun!! It is incredible to realize what geocachers can do to earn one little 32x32 icon in their profile.

We had an amazingly successful CITO that year and at the very center of the obstruction we found a large beam under the tons of trash we hauled out of the creek. That large beam weighed in at 450 lbs and it took a while to cut it up into chunks that could be removed, it was a nasty piece of trash. The water level upstream of the obstruction dropped by almost a foot when we were finished and the waterway is in much better health today, the obstruction has never re-occurred.

I am sure that there will be lots of geocachers finding nasty stuff this year! If there isn't a local CITO in your area then this is a good time to start thinking about the parks or land managers who could benefit from the help of local geocachers. CITO events are a great way to introduce park managers to geocaching.

Here is a link to that first CITO event.

My worst was a 24-er 2nd WW RAF bomb near a Hamburg playground, in a small forest we just opened for the kids to play in. I was team member of the forestry that time. Not very nasty (esthetically looked) but on the other hand...

Wow the story of the RAF bomb is the most incredible case of CITO I've ever heard!

I must admit I didn't dispose of the craziest thing I ever found on a cache hunt. The cache took me to the back of a parking lot, behind which was overgrowth. After looking around in the brush a little bit I thought maybe it was a lamppost cache so I went to the closest one and... sitting on top of the base which you lift up was a THONG. It was so bizarre, totally empty parking lot with no room for cover (unless it was filled with cars I guess) there is a random thong sitting on the lamppost! I hadn't come to CITO and had no way of clearing it out... so I must admit I counted on the fact a storm was making its way to the area shortly to take care of it. I know it blowing away is different than clean up but seriously, I ain't dealin' with that!

I think I should mention the fact the parking lot was for, amongst other things, a Hooters. I think we know where that came from...

Oh and I found the cache, didn't think it was a lamppost cache based on the GPS reading but I wasn't about to check!

Edited by Vartan84

i am new and yet to go on my first cache but ill tell ya, nastiest thing ive found was working at goodwill, pretty much everything yall have describe from used adult toys, condoms, toilets filled, and even about 500 dollars in 3 live fish, have been donated. nasty undergarmets. needles bullets, guns, everything, what are people thinking.

I found a dead body about a year ago at a "Welcome Center" in Louisiana.. :ph34r:

I let the ladies inside the center know there was someone sleeping in the bushes then I left!

Heard about it on the news the next day that he was NOT sleeping.. :lol:

And just last week we found a pile of about 16 dead ducks, woman's wig and a nice big

bag of drugs all at the same cache location. The description of the cache; "Nice place to

bring the kids fishing and have a picnic!" :)

NAWW, don't think I want to bring the kids to picnic or fish here!!!

Today I was working on my 7th find and discovered a large assortment of used condoms. By large I mean we filled half a garbage sac full of them while cleaning the area. One note: by we I mean my self and a couple of police officers I called to inform them of the ammount of litter that had occured in the area. Never clean used condoms up without protection!

On one of our first caching attempts a couple of years ago, I exchanged words with a individual a regarding trash clean up. The wife and I were just about to get in the truck at a town park when we saw 2 "young ladies" walking a dog who stopped to leave a "calling card." It's clearly posted all over the park about cleaning up these "messages", so when they kept walking I decided to say something. When they got about 20 feet away from the "card", I hollered after them that I appreciated the good job they did of cleaning up after the dog. The "young lady" who held the leash turned and screamed they were planning on picking it up on the way back and kept on walking away. I said they are full of "calling cards" to the wife and away we went. There were about 15 other people around so maybe peer pressure got to them later.

So down the road we went to a fishing site with 2 or 3 caches in and around it. Guess who pulled in while we were out and about! They quickly got in the car and left with out saying a word.

Like WVangler, I am involved with our local TU chapter and we have an Earthday cleanup event at a local stream. We contact some local high schools to get kids who need community service hours for their graduation. It's mandatory for 8 hours not punishment. After the morning cleanup, we do a little BBQ and sign off 4 hours for them.

These kids rock!!! Hard working, polite, funny and smart also. It's usually a science class or outdoors club and a teacher or 2 and some adult chaperones. One year, one busdriver even came and helped out with everything.

We have found tires, bicycle frames, a old(1950's) car, old stoves, clothes washer, plenty of bottles, cans and other similiar items.

It amounts to about a ton or so of trash each year. The car and appliances were left alone since they are at the bottom of a big drop off and no heavy equipment was around to get it out.

Edited by Teioneon

We have found tires, bicycle frames, a old(1950's) car, old stoves, clothes washer, plenty of bottles, cans and other similiar items.

I had a similar caching experience out on the trail. I actually filmed it for all to see. Click my link below and check out "Revolutionary War Cache" (and others too if you'd like!) to see our exploration of a trash dump of old things out in the woods at the bottom of a cliff! We think the car was pushed off it!

CJ and I have a string of caches in game lands 186 in PA.

We regularly CITO the parking lot, since a few local "guys" use it for their rendevous' ( there's an adult book store a few miles away.)

These are all family-friendly caches and just what a kid needs to see...

Condoms, dirty mags , "play toys", underwear and an odd mix of gatorade and vodka bottles are usually strewn about the lot.

The worst was last year...

Right in the center of the lot sat a filled colostomy bag.

Aren't those things expensive?

Yep, a little car-tree wipe under the nose and it went into a bag.

Should have received a meritorious service award for that one.

This is the same game lands that gave CJ a hard time over her caches and had to get approval from "higher-ups" to get 'em in. THEY don't clean the lot - ever.

Cache safe.

I have a long history of 'leave the place better than I found it', starting with my first camping trip at the age of 11, and through many years trailers, tents, and kayaks here, there, and other places. I have to say that I've never found anything particularly nasty, and now I feel rather left out! ;) On my first-ever geocaching outing with my (only slightly more experienced) hubby, last weekend, we did find something totally unexpected amongst the cans, bottles and week-old newspapers ... the remains of a computer monitor! It was a fair distance from the parking lot, so somebody had done some heavy lifting to haul it all the way out there. Especially sad, since our area has implemented a free computer drop-off program for people to get rid of such things safely. It was left near the remains of a campfire, and I'm still trying to figure out what one had to do with the other.

I get very distressed over the amount of trash that dirties up beautiful, natural places, but I've learned that it's not always people who are to blame. I've seen crows break into a garbage can, and try to carry away the whole liner, resulting in a trail of trash behind them. Just don't think it was crows with a computer monitor though!

:laughing: