Just wanted to introduce myself.

Greg Fahy

I'm fairly new to geocaching. I read about it a little over a year ago but didn't get into it until a little over a month ago. I've found 5 caches so far all pretty easy. I already have some great locations to start some caches, but am trying to get some more experience before I lead people on a wild goose chase.

Anyone out there have some good advice for a newbie?

Follow your muse when it comes to placing caches. If you wait and see what the locals are doing...you will tend to copy the local style. That can be good or bad, but either way it's tweaking the style which you would be known for.

Some lessons can only be learned by placing a cache.

One rule of thumb I use is to not place the cache at Ground Zero of anything interesting. Muggles are all over that spot and will find the cache. The spot you are looking for is 500' over in a rock chuck hole, that muggles never go to because they go to the one tree on the prarie.

One rule of thumb I use is to not place the cache at Ground Zero of anything interesting. Muggles are all over that spot and will find the cache. The spot you are looking for is 500' over in a rock chuck hole, that muggles never go to because they go to the one tree on the prarie.

Yeah, most the places I have in mind are pretty isolated, but very cool when you get to them. A few of the spots are only reachable by boat/canoe or very good swimmer, lol. I'll keep your advice in mind.

Be patient when marking your coordinates. I usually let the GPSr sit as close to the cache for 5 mintues or more, depending on cloud cover and tree cover before marking a waypoint.

Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Hey! I know you! Welcome to the geocaching forums :)

Hey! I couldn't get Goat as a screen name here so I just went with my real name. Good to see a fellow Georger here.

I just thought of a really cool idea. Having a Georger/Geocaching Gathering. I know a couple Georgers in my area that do both.

Hey! I couldn't get Goat as a screen name here so I just went with my real name. Good to see a fellow Georger here.

I just thought of a really cool idea. Having a Georger/Geocaching Gathering. I know a couple Georgers in my area that do both.

Yeah, I figured that's why you went with a different screen name. Same avatar, though, or I'd never have recognized you :) I actually am having a georger/geocaching gathering on September 8th. It's that thread in the SE forum about the Frankfort, KY, picnic. Here's a link to the caching page for it: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-a680a7e5ba56

Too bad you are too far away to likely be able to make it.

I've heard some people say "don't hide one till you've found at least 100." I disagree with the number, but I think it wise to make sure you understand the game before you hide.

That being said, once you're comfortable with caching in general, put out a simple hide... This will let you learn the process and get some feedback as to how close the finders found the coordinates, etc.

Welcome aboard!

Jim

Yeah, I figured that's why you went with a different screen name. Same avatar, though, or I'd never have recognized you :( I actually am having a georger/geocaching gathering on September 8th. It's that thread in the SE forum about the Frankfort, KY, picnic. Here's a link to the caching page for it: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-a680a7e5ba56

Too bad you are too far away to likely be able to make it.

Yeah, I would love to go, but Frankfort is a little to far for me. Once I pay off a few things over the next year or so I will have my freedom back and be able to travel and go out much more often!

I've heard some people say "don't hide one till you've found at least 100." I disagree with the number, but I think it wise to make sure you understand the game before you hide.

That being said, once you're comfortable with caching in general, put out a simple hide... This will let you learn the process and get some feedback as to how close the finders found the coordinates, etc.

Welcome aboard!

Jim

I have two spots in mind, they are both pretty tricky to get to. Maybe I will find an easy spot for the first one. I don't plan on making many very easy, I like to make people work a little :D

Welcome to the hobby/sport/addiction :cry:

Be sure to check out our state's geocaching site... www.ncgeocachers.org

Hey, thanks for the link, I've already signed up for the message board and look forward to some of the events. I had no idea geocaching was this big in NC.

Welcome Greg; I'm new here, too!

Question: What is a Georger??

Lol, it's a whole different kind of obsession.

It's a money tracking hobby. With the money in your wallet you go to www.WheresGeorge.com and enter in the series number and serial number. Once you do that you mark on your money www.wheresgeorge.com and then spend it. When someone else finds your bill they enter it and you get an e-mail notification of where your money is.

It's interesting to see where all your money shows up. If you get really obsessed like me you'll end up buying stamps and going to the bank and getting 100 ones a week. Check out the forums at Where's George, there are some really friendly people who can help you get started. Tell them Goat sent ya!

Welcome Greg; I'm new here, too!

Question: What is a Georger??

Lol, it's a whole different kind of obsession.

It's a money tracking hobby. With the money in your wallet you go to www.WheresGeorge.com and enter in the series number and serial number. Once you do that you mark on your money www.wheresgeorge.com and then spend it. When someone else finds your bill they enter it and you get an e-mail notification of where your money is.

It's interesting to see where all your money shows up. If you get really obsessed like me you'll end up buying stamps and going to the bank and getting 100 ones a week. Check out the forums at Where's George, there are some really friendly people who can help you get started. Tell them Goat sent ya!

OK, Sure, Greg; thanks; I've heard of George.Com and have had some of the bills that I've spent. I can definitely see where this could become yet another obsession, particularly for those cold winter days when it's impossible to get outside here in the good 'ol Midwest!!