Adoption or Removal Attribute

Backup

Besides folks just becoming disinterested with the game, there are life situations that unexpectedly arise, such as being laid of from a job and having to move on short notice, that would put recovering cache containers at a low priority.

Making it easy to have a cache removed (by others) would lessen the chance of someone simply abandoning the cache. In my own local the Geocaching community is quite active they are already very pro-active in helping others with cache maintenance.

With the above in mind, I suggest the creation of two new ATTRIBUTES or LOG ENTRIES:

Adoption icon selectable via the attributes and/or a log entry.

This icon would indicate that the cache is available for adoption from the owner.

Selection of this option would include a log entry where details can be provided, along with displaying a distinctive icon (akin to the "Needs Maintenance" log).

Perhaps a stork/baby icon?

Removal icon, also selectable via the attributes and/or a log entry.

This icon would indicate the owner would like the container removed by the next visitor. Once the cache is taken the finder would notify the owner, who would then archive the cache.

Perhaps a trashcan icon?

An option to have both the Adoption and Removal icons displayed together in a single log would indicate the owner would appreciate either option be taken by a finder.

Besides folks just becoming disinterested with the game, there are life situations that unexpectedly arise, such as being laid of from a job and having to move on short notice, that would put recovering cache containers at a low priority.

Making it easy to have a cache removed (by others) would lessen the chance of someone simply abandoning the cache. In my own local the Geocaching community is quite active they are already very pro-active in helping others with cache maintenance.

With the above in mind, I suggest the creation of two new ATTRIBUTES or LOG ENTRIES:

Adoption icon selectable via the attributes and/or a log entry.

This icon would indicate that the cache is available for adoption from the owner.

Selection of this option would include a log entry where details can be provided, along with displaying a distinctive icon (akin to the "Needs Maintenance" log).

Perhaps a stork/baby icon?

Interesting idea. I don't see anything wrong with archiving my caches and opening the area up for someone else to place a cache. But some people like to see their caches continue in their current form even after they can no longer properly maintain the cache. An ADOPT ME icon would allow someone to do a search for caches in their area were the owner is looking for someone to adopt it.

I think a stork or baby icon might be seen as meaning good for very young children. Which could prove disastrous on some caches.

Removal icon, also selectable via the attributes and/or a log entry.

This icon would indicate the owner would like the container removed by the next visitor. Once the cache is taken the finder would notify the owner, who would then archive the cache.

Perhaps a trashcan icon?

An option to have both the Adoption and Removal icons displayed together in a single log would indicate the owner would appreciate either option be taken by a finder.

This has been successfully done in various places that I've lived simple by the owner or a reviewer placing a note on the cache page asking for the cache container to be removed.

I really don't like the Attributes for this. My plan for when I'm king is differnet.

When a cache becomes a problem and needs retreived it's archived and a CRM cache is created. CRM is Cache Rescue Mission. The CRM cache is a one time only cache that come with a special red cross cache icon. When the intreprid cacher finds and takes the cache they save the world from a B Movie Plot involving GeoLitter.

Once retrieved, the cache is archived. CRM could also verify that the cache is actually gone.

... When a cache becomes a problem and needs retreived it's archived and a CRM cache is created. CRM is Cache Rescue Mission. The CRM cache is a one time only cache that come with a special red cross cache icon. When the intreprid cacher finds and takes the cache they save the world from a B Movie Plot involving GeoLitter.

Once retrieved, the cache is archived. CRM could also verify that the cache is actually gone.

I like this idea (also).

And since anything that you can add a counter to (for bragging rights) brings more participation a CRM Cross icon on your cache stats page would encourage a competition to be the one who removed the "one time only cache".

Hmmm, the more I think about this, the more I like it. Better than my original suggestion.

... When a cache becomes a problem and needs retreived it's archived and a CRM cache is created. CRM is Cache Rescue Mission. The CRM cache is a one time only cache that come with a special red cross cache icon. When the intreprid cacher finds and takes the cache they save the world from a B Movie Plot involving GeoLitter.

I like this idea (also).

And since anything that you can add a counter to (for bragging rights) brings more participation a CRM Cross icon on your cache stats page would encourage a competition to be the one who removed the "one time only cache".

Hmmm, the more I think about this, the more I like it. Better than my original suggestion.

Which the number hounds would CRM their cache if their buddy CRMed theirs, so they could go pick up each others cache that they would have archived anyway, and thus incrementing their find count...

IMO, all that would do it to make it easier for people to walk away from their responsibilities. "Clean up my abandoned cache? Why do I need to do that? After all, I added the icon to the page!"

icon_no.gif

Agreed!!

I liked RKs plan for a moment but I think that it may actually turn into some sort of competition to "archive" and "rescue" caches.

IMO, all that would do it to make it easier for people to walk away from their responsibilities. "Clean up my abandoned cache? Why do I need to do that? After all, I added the icon to the page!"

icon_no.gif

That would be one possiable downside :(

of course it assumes people will know of and actually correctly use those attributes :rolleyes::o

I really don't like the Attributes for this. My plan for when I'm king is differnet.

When a cache becomes a problem and needs retreived it's archived and a CRM cache is created. CRM is Cache Rescue Mission. The CRM cache is a one time only cache that come with a special red cross cache icon. When the intreprid cacher finds and takes the cache they save the world from a B Movie Plot involving GeoLitter.

I can just see the race to be "LTF.... (Last To Find)".

Might actually be fun.

DCC