Leap Frog Trash Cache

SCTH

I have an idea for CITO cache but it’s having a hard time being passed by the reviewers.

This cache I am calling “Leap Frog”. It’s a standard trinket cache and it has a designated road and distance to Leap on. You place it by a littered area and when that area has been cleaned up a cacher moves it to a new location on the road and logs in the new coordinates and the process starts all over again.

This type of cache is used in those places you cannot hold a CITO event safely.

Please leave a comments if you think this is a good idea or not.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by SCTH

It's a moving cache, which isn't allowed

Placing a cache of this type along a highway, would more than likely have people just doing a quick stop and grab causing a traffic hazard in the process.

Kudos on trying to clean up the area, but an event with bright yellow safety vests would probably yield better results.

Your wrong. Nothing in the Guideline say it's not allowed. Read below.

"Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published".

Also:

"Exceptions may sometimes be made, depending on the nature of a cache. If you have a novel type of cache that “pushes the envelope” to some degree, then it is best to contact your local reviewer and/or Groundspeak before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site. The guidelines should address most situations, but Groundspeak administrators and reviewers are always interested in new ideas.

If the majority believes that it should be published, then Groundspeak administrators and volunteers may review the submission and your cache may be unarchived.

Many roads don't have a place to pull off safely and that would be silly to stop on. I think commonsense would allow one not stop.

It's a moving cache, which isn't allowed

Kudos on trying to clean up the area, but an event with bright yellow safety vests would probably yield better results.

I agree with badlands. Kudos on trying to get the area clean!

SCTH,

I once organized a CITO event along a roadside. It was not a major highway, but a small road where people liked to go pretty fast. The land manager that I partnered with hooked us up with orange signs at each end of our area. They were borrowed from the DOT and said: "Caution: work crews ahead" or something like that.

We got a LOT done in a few hours.

Have you asked the land manager for some help and advice?

Well, I am a bit surprised at this. Many people have read this and only 2 have left a message.:D

I am abandoning this idea of a Leap Frog CITO cache. I did not realize this does not mean much to people.:cry:

Again:

"Your wrong. Nothing in the Guideline say it's not allowed.

This is the only sentence that talks about traveling caches. Read below.

"Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published".

Also:

"Exceptions may sometimes be made, depending on the nature of a cache. If you have a novel type of cache that “pushes the envelope” to some degree.

I never thought so many people would abandon this kind if idea, specially CITO people.:(

Oh Well...:o

~Steve

CITO is always a great idea.

Moving caches, however, were discontinued some time back.

Moving caches were not always working because it would be moved, and someone would drive all the way to the old location and search and search only to find out that someone else was late in logging that it had been moved. Wasting their gas, their time and getting no smiley for the day. If you do not have the time to dedicate to a CITO, then perhaps you should let someone else pick up the ball and run with it for that area. Try posting in your local forums, see if anyone is interested in cleaning up that corner of the world.

CITO is always a great idea.

Moving caches, however, were discontinued some time back.

Moving caches were not always working because it would be moved, and someone would drive all the way to the old location and search and search only to find out that someone else was late in logging that it had been moved. Wasting their gas, their time and getting no smiley for the day. If you do not have the time to dedicate to a CITO, then perhaps you should let someone else pick up the ball and run with it for that area. Try posting in your local forums, see if anyone is interested in cleaning up that corner of the world.

Well said indeed!

Moving caches were not always working because it would be moved, and someone would drive all the way to the old location and search and search only to find out that someone else was late in logging that it had been moved. Wasting their gas, their time and getting no smiley for the day. If you do not have the time to dedicate to a CITO, then perhaps you should let someone else pick up the ball and run with it for that area.

I've been thinking about this, because I think it's an intriguing idea; at the same time, I don't disagree with what Eartha posted. Keep in mind, though, that I am brand-spanking new to all of this, so please pardon me if my lack of experience shows.

Anyway, here's my thought: I checked the rules and don't see anything that states that a Travel Bug can't be attached to a a container.

So what about creating a kind of "Anti-Litter Matrioshka Mystery Cache", nesting containers inside one another, each of which is a Travel Bug but which contains all of the elements of a cache?

So you'd plant the first container as a cache, with the stipulation that a finder a) clean up the area the cache is and B) take the TB container inside the cache to another cache-worthy-yet-littered location and set it up/register it as a new cache. The finder of that cache would do the same thing, and so forth, iteratively, until the final TB container is converted into a cache. At this point, the Matrioshka is complete and all of its containers are now traditional caches (but could still contain the request that finders clean up the cache's area).

Each container's TB "Goal" would be to be converted into a cache in a new area that needs some attention (but might not necessarily be CITO-worthy). The TB page would point to the new cache page.

Each container's log book would need to contain a list of the TB numbers of all of the containers within it, as well as its parent's TB number. That would maintain a link of connection between the caches (and allow interested parties to find out what happened to the "children" containers of the "parent" container by cross-referencing child TB numbers to new cache numbers here).

As long as all of the other guidelines were followed in regards to making a cache, would this be uncool? What would be the etiquette for what to do with the container's tag once it's converted to a cache?

So what about creating a kind of "Anti-Litter Matrioshka Mystery Cache", nesting containers inside one another, each of which is a Travel Bug but which contains all of the elements of a cache?

So you'd plant the first container as a cache, with the stipulation that a finder a) clean up the area the cache is and :) take the TB container inside the cache to another cache-worthy-yet-littered location and set it up/register it as a new cache. The finder of that cache would do the same thing, and so forth, iteratively, until the final TB container is converted into a cache. At this point, the Matrioshka is complete and all of its containers are now traditional caches (but could still contain the request that finders clean up the cache's area).

Sounds like a breeder cache. You don't really need the TB to do this. As long as the cache goes through the review process it's fine.

What I've seen are caches stocked with garbage bags and they have an ALR (additional logging requirement) that you have to fill up a bag with trash and remove it in order to post a found it log.