POP! Goes the matchtube

pigpen4x4

OK, so I am working on my next hide, and I want a simple system to pop a matchtube from a camoe'd pipe.

This will be a stage of multi.

My first conception was to use lighter fluid and it worked great.

Then I considered leaving the fluid in another cache as a tool, and decided it was a poor idea and probably against the guidlines.

I don't think asking people looking for it to bring lighter fluid is so swift either.

So, that got me thinking about other ways, (non flamable) and while I have some ideas, non are working out as really practical.

Has anyone seen one or have any ideas?

The best I am coming up with right now is a little CO2 cartridge, just trying to work it through.

See Ya!

PP4X4

Some people have simply required people to bring water to fill up the pipe. This allows the cache to float up and be retrieved. A tiny hole lower in the pipe allows the water level to slowly recede.

(or just read CTD's post.)

LOL I hope these water requiring cache aren't in the desert. I just pictured some poor dude pouring the last of his water into a pipe to retrieve a cache and then dying from thirst on a 5 mile hike in 110F temps.

I like the idea though.

You are kidding right? :ph34r: You seriously want to put lighter fluid, in a forest, field, etc... then have kids, or other people use it to explode the cache device into their hands? Why? First, this would never pass the guidelines. Second, what if someone gets burned or burns down an entire area with this idea? :anibad::tired: Why not use a piece of string or some water?

How about a match holder with magnets on the cap as well as the bottom. You can hide the "fishing line" (string, masonry line, etc) tied to a small metal washer, near the pipe. Another thought is to anchor a brass barbed fitting (sized for aquarium air tubing) into the bottom of the pipe. Post a note on the cache page, requiring cachers to bring a six-inch section of tubing. The only issue with method two is that you'll need to create a fairly good seal with the match holder in order for the air to force it out.

MY methods are far safer than the lighter fluid method. I could just envision someone adding too much lighter fluid, and losing an eye due to the resulting explosion.

Edited by Kit Fox

How about making them detonate a tear gas or chemical weapons canister? Alternately, I hear there are directions online for making a small thermonuclear device. Before they can log the find, they have to have next of kin verify radiation levels near the cache.

DISCLAIMER: Dear Patriot Act operatives. The previous post was a sarcastic "black humor" attempt to get a laugh. I am and always shall be a loyal American.

Edited by 2brnot2b

How about making them detonate a tear gas or chemical weapons canister? Alternately, I hear there are directions online for making a small thermonuclear device. Before they can log the find, they have to have next of kin verify radiation levels near the cache.

DISCLAIMER: Dear Patriot Act operatives. The previous post was a sarcastic "black humor" attempt to get a laugh. I am and always shall be a loyal American.

I am just curious. Do you have any relatives named "Vinny"? Do you have any friends named "Vinny"? Did you ever meet a guy named "Vinny" on a dark street corner and exchange a sum of cash for a package wrapped in brown paper?

Edited by The Leprechauns

I made a container like that out of 2" PVC and dropped a film canister down it. You held your finger over a hole in the bottom while you poured in the water and it worked perfectly. I wanted to use it in a multi called "Water you doing?" I wrote the coordinates on mylar......so everything was waterproof. Had it nice and camo'd up and ready to set out, when I discounted the idea due to the fact that it could be mistaken for a b*mb. Shame.

Some people have simply required people to bring water to fill up the pipe. This allows the cache to float up and be retrieved. A tiny hole lower in the pipe allows the water level to slowly recede.

(or just read CTD's post.)

LOL I hope these water requiring cache aren't in the desert. I just pictured some poor dude pouring the last of his water into a pipe to retrieve a cache and then dying from thirst on a 5 mile hike in 110F temps.

I like the idea though.

I have one of those, but don't ask them to bring water. I put a hook on the cache and they can go with plan B and life it out via some kind of hook. Or plan A and float it... Most people go with B.

The Party thanks you for your loyalty and will be paying you a visit this evening to express their gratitude.

:):lol::lol::lol::)

P.S. Don't you have to sink a PVC pipe in the ground, would that also not violate the guidelines for placement since I assume you would dig a hole to put the pipe in?? :)

Edited by lonesumdove

You are kidding right? :) You seriously want to put lighter fluid, in a forest, field, etc... then have kids, or other people use it to explode the cache device into their hands? Why? First, this would never pass the guidelines. Second, what if someone gets burned or burns down an entire area with this idea? :lol: :lol: Why not use a piece of string or some water?

I thought I made it VERY clear I had discounted the idea. But, that would require reading the whole post, yes?

I actually have one stage with a PVC pipe heavily disguised with vine like stuff. it has a brass fitting in the bottom, and you go to another hide to retrieve the hose. You lift the cap, and it says "add CO2".

It is not stuck in the ground, (though I have seen many that are) rather it is tie wrapped to a tree/bush.

The pipe is I think 1 1/4" light duty, about 4' long. When you blow into the hose, the match tube pops right up. Very nice fit.

I have kicked around the water idea, even considered it as another stage for the air one, leaving a big cup in the supply hide. Found a great place, but I'm afraid the water close by is sewage, though treated, still kinda grosses me out. Go ahead and take that out of context too. :lol:

All the positive replies has me thinking of adding a magnet to the tube, then hiding another magnet in a supply cache. Touch the side of the pipe, raise the mag and there is the tube!

PP4X4

You are kidding right? :lol: You seriously want to put lighter fluid, in a forest, field, etc... then have kids, or other people use it to explode the cache device into their hands? Why? First, this would never pass the guidelines. Second, what if someone gets burned or burns down an entire area with this idea? :lol::) Why not use a piece of string or some water?

I thought I made it VERY clear I had discounted the idea. But, that would require reading the whole post, yes?

I actually have one stage with a PVC pipe heavily disguised with vine like stuff. it has a brass fitting in the bottom, and you go to another hide to retrieve the hose. You lift the cap, and it says "add CO2".

It is not stuck in the ground, (though I have seen many that are) rather it is tie wrapped to a tree/bush.

The pipe is I think 1 1/4" light duty, about 4' long. When you blow into the hose, the match tube pops right up. Very nice fit.

I have kicked around the water idea, even considered it as another stage for the air one, leaving a big cup in the supply hide. Found a great place, but I'm afraid the water close by is sewage, though treated, still kinda grosses me out. Go ahead and take that out of context too. :)

All the positive replies has me thinking of adding a magnet to the tube, then hiding another magnet in a supply cache. Touch the side of the pipe, raise the mag and there is the tube!

PP4X4

Of course I read your post silly, :) or I would not have replied a little tongue in cheek - I might add... :lol: It sounds like you have seen a pretty good idea already with the add co2 thingy - I actually think that is pretty neat idea. How did they get the seal so good that it worked? I would not mind trying to make one myself.

might take some playing but how about using a hand pump, the kind that you use when you pump up pool toys - or you could go to your tire store and get a tire stem and leave a bike pump, build a little pressure and get the same results with little or no concern.

my only concern would be having folks reset everything when done so the next finder has fun as well.

You are kidding right? :) You seriously want to put lighter fluid, in a forest, field, etc... then have kids, or other people use it to explode the cache device into their hands? Why? First, this would never pass the guidelines. Second, what if someone gets burned or burns down an entire area with this idea? :lol: :lol: Why not use a piece of string or some water?

I agree... Lighter fluid is much too dangerous. In its stead, I strongly recommend asking the finder to use a funnel to drop about 2 ounces of smokeless gunpowder into the bottom of the tube so that it lands below the matchtube. Then, they can snake a piece of fuse down in there, ignite it, and POP!, the matchtube comes flying up as the gunpowder ignites! This is much safer than using messy lighter fluid. Another alternative would be to fill the entire tube with yellow slimy radioactive toxic waste, and require finders to drink the waste through a straw.... ohh... this is getting too complicated... never mind!

I am just curious. Do you have any relatives named "Vinny"? Do you have any friends named "Vinny"? Did you ever meet a guy named "Vinny" on a dark street corner and exchange a sum of cash for a package wrapped in brown paper?

Strange coincidence. Here you are, mentioning a "Vinny", and my name is Vinny too! Small world! Amazing!

BTW, since you are located in PA, I must note that I am rather annoyed right now, because your local PA-based reviewer Keystone -- being the grossly over-reactive knee-jerk reviewer that he is -- just refused to publish my new Radioactive Isotope Hotel cache located in West Virginia. I even explained that there needed be no fear about genetic mutations among the local residents due to radiation leaking from the cache container, because everyone knows that West Virginia residents are already radioactive hillbilly mutants and therefore very hardy and radiation-resistant. sigh... :)

How about a match holder with magnets on the cap as well as the bottom. You can hide the "fishing line" (string, masonry line, etc) tied to a small metal washer, near the pipe. Another thought is to anchor a brass barbed fitting (sized for aquarium air tubing) into the bottom of the pipe. Post a note on the cache page, requiring cachers to bring a six-inch section of tubing. The only issue with method two is that you'll need to create a fairly good seal with the match holder in order for the air to force it out.

MY methods are far safer than the lighter fluid method. I could just envision someone adding too much lighter fluid, and losing an eye due to the resulting explosion.

Building on Kit Fox's idea:

Maybe two magnets, one attached to the M&M tube bottom and one glued in the bottom of the "Launch Tube". Opposite poles facing each other so when the top of the launch tube is lifted the magnets oppose each other and the M&M tube maglevs out the launch tube.

The magnets would have to be fairly strong to repel far enough, rare earth or hard-drive magnets, to launch the M&M tube, yet not too strong to injure?

Dunno, just a thought!

Of course I read your post silly, :( or I would not have replied a little tongue in cheek - I might add... :D It sounds like you have seen a pretty good idea already with the add co2 thingy - I actually think that is pretty neat idea. How did they get the seal so good that it worked? I would not mind trying to make one myself.

Sorry, I didn't pick up on the tongue in cheek. Guess I took it personally. :cry:

I picked up a match tube at Sam's place and took it to either Lowes or Depot and found the pipe that it fit nicely. It slides though kinda slowly, and it takes a big breath to raise it all the way up.

I believe I'll pass on the smokeless powder as well. Well officer, see I'm playing this game and that's why I need incendiary materials in a public park

I do like the pump up idea as well.

PP4x4

Oh, and radioactive toxic waste is too hard to get in Georgia.

PP4x4

Yeah, right....! I believe that like I believe that the world is flat! :o:(:(:D

The reality is that in Georgia, almost every rural Mom and Pop "Tires, Beer, Tobacco, Welding and Antiques" store store has at least ten or twelve canisters of radioactive waste sitting on its shelves, often for sale at a reduced price. That's just a fact of life@ :cry:

I've heard of caches that require you to pour water into a vessel until the container floats to the top for retrieval. Would that work for you?

That sounds good to me :( .

Or how about some sort of electrical powered 'fliper' that could eject something out of the tube? then just tell them to bring a 9v cell or whatever to plug in... Course making so it will work even after getting soaked in rain storm might be difficult.

I've heard of caches that require you to pour water into a vessel until the container floats to the top for retrieval. Would that work for you?

That sounds good to me :( .

Or how about some sort of electrical powered 'fliper' that could eject something out of the tube? then just tell them to bring a 9v cell or whatever to plug in... Course making so it will work even after getting soaked in rain storm might be difficult.

Heck, if we're gonna require them to use electricity, lets go for the big guns! Forget the 9 volt battery, lets demand that in order to claim a find, they must climb a nearby power line pole, attach a clip lead to the high voltage wire (without getting electrocuted in the process) and then snake a long wire carrying the high voltage down to the pipe, and then stick bare end of the wire into the water in the tube to boil it all off.

Interesting thread - I have to say, it took almost 850 caches before I ran across a PVC pipe one. I was extremely surprised to find one, after all the no-no's I've seen for them. Didn't really have a problem with it, based on where it was (not likely to be mistaken for a bomb, and placed on private property with permission.)

I like some of the ideas discussed in this thread.

That sounds good to me :D .

Heck, if we're gonna require them to use electricity, lets go for the big guns! Forget the 9 volt battery, lets demand that in order to claim a find, they must climb a nearby power line pole, attach a clip lead to the high voltage wire (without getting electrocuted in the process) and then snake a long wire carrying the high voltage down to the pipe, and then stick bare end of the wire into the water in the tube to boil it all off.

Yea or we could just stick to the small DC cell so its no so much "FUN" :cry::(:o

We've found two "bring water to float to the top" caches so far.

Thought I found a third a month ago. Two new cachers were with me.

They looked on, in mild amusement at the nut pouring good water down the tube and...

it wasn't one. :D

Luckily, found it a little after. Don't know for sure if they've gone for the one I knew was still around.

Blame them ? :tongue:

Biggest problem with those is they DO freeze in the winter.

When you blow into the hose, the match tube pops right up.

Is everyone expected to blow on the same piece of tube?

Or how about some sort of electrical powered 'fliper' that could eject something out of the tube? then just tell them to bring a 9v cell or whatever to plug in

That would be cool.

I was going to make a joke about using an Estes Rocket engine to propel it out, but this thread has already taken a nasty flying leap into the area of constructive comments. Gotta' nip that sort of thing in the bud if you ever want any good humor.

When you blow into the hose, the match tube pops right up.

Is everyone expected to blow on the same piece of tube?

There are alchohol wipes in the "tool" bag with the hose. Don't want anyone getting cooties. :unsure:

A rocket engine. Hmmmmmmm

"Well yer honor, it DID seem like a great idea, at the time." :D

Does anybody know how many volts a pinball solenoid uses?

"alright, now go to N34 00.000 W084 00.000 and find a loooooong extension cord. Go to ............"

Dang, too much work already.

As far as CO2 safety, that is good information. I was kicking around maybe using the working parts from a paintball gun.

I'm not looking to fly it through the air. Just to pop up or out. :tongue:

PP4X4

So i was setting there in the bathroom and I found myself out of TP so I holler for the wife to get some and while I was waiting I was playing with the thing the TP goes on and it hit me that it might shoot the container out if you compressed it and put a pin in that they would have to pull out. Pull the pin and pop! You could include instructions in the container as to how to reset it and where you hod the stick to push it down with!

Alot of good ideas have been conceved in the craper! :D

PP, I can show you how to regulate the CO2 down enough to function for what you want to do, however it'll cost you quite a bit to make it practical. I've used this method to drop the operating pressure down to about 40psi, to operate a pneumatic tire pump. When triggered it raises the tire pump and then a spring retracts it. I use it for a portable Halloween "scare". I had to make something that was 'self contained' for the scare.

You need 2 20oz co2 tanks (~$15each)

Rainbird sprinkler (~$12?IIRC)

A paintball CO2 regulator 30-80$

An Air source regulator (~10$)

Bike pump (~8$) (some modifications)

Various hoses and fittings. (~10$)

Some kitchen sponges

Tank #1 in the photo is the source tank. Puts out at about 800~ PSI @ 70*.

It immediately goes into a paintball regulator dropping the Pressure to ~100psi.

Then into the air regulator to drop it to around 40PSI.

Tank #2 had it's valve removed, was stuffed with sponges, and valve replaced. It acts as a storage tank, and an expansion chamber should any liquid CO2 get into the line. The rain-bird sprinkler activates and the pressure from the CO2 raises the bike pump. Sprinkler turns off, and a spring returns the pump to the starting position. I went cheap on this and it only cost me about $20 to build. But I had all the parts to hand except the air regulator. I can see the tire pump being replaced with a good Bimba valve, and a few other mods, but it's worked well so far... Hope it's helped...

air.jpg