Geocaching with a mac

I've been contemplating a new computer for awhile...and have been promising myself one as a congratulations present for getting into grad school (when it happens). Well, I'm having some issues with my 5yr old PC that I'm troubleshooting at the moment, and I'm preparing myself for the possibility of replacing it if the inexpensive solutions don't work.

The new Mac Pros are looking attractive to me as a replacement option. They seem much more compatible with Windows stuff since they're now running Intel processors.

I'm wondering if anyone else is using one of these for geocaching and how well it works.

I've got a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and I'm using GSAK on my pc. I also have a laptop running XP, and a PDA running PocketPC 2002. Right now, I'm not concerned about any of my other peripherals (digital camera, video camera, printer) working with the mac. I'm most concerned about my GPS and PDA, and networking with an XP-based laptop. Worst case scenario I have to use the laptop for geocaching, but the laptop is showing its age, as well. Also, to save a few bucks, I'd like to use the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor from my PC on the mac. The monitor is a NEC Multisync LCD 1525V, and the keyboard and mouse are both MS products.

Would this be a fairly minor change, comparable to upgrading to a new pc with Vista, or something harder to handle?

I use a 17" macbook pro and use a 76Cx. I run parallels with XP for my geocaching software. All of the geocaching stuff I need runs great in parallels, mapsource, gsak, cachestats. If you're willing to spring for parallels or vmware fusion to run your windows apps (for either you'll need a licensed copy of windows), I would highly recommend switching to a mac!

Enjoy!

I've been contemplating a new computer for awhile...and have been promising myself one as a congratulations present for getting into grad school (when it happens). Well, I'm having some issues with my 5yr old PC that I'm troubleshooting at the moment, and I'm preparing myself for the possibility of replacing it if the inexpensive solutions don't work.

The new Mac Pros are looking attractive to me as a replacement option. They seem much more compatible with Windows stuff since they're now running Intel processors.

I'm wondering if anyone else is using one of these for geocaching and how well it works.

I've got a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and I'm using GSAK on my pc. I also have a laptop running XP, and a PDA running PocketPC 2002. Right now, I'm not concerned about any of my other peripherals (digital camera, video camera, printer) working with the mac. I'm most concerned about my GPS and PDA, and networking with an XP-based laptop. Worst case scenario I have to use the laptop for geocaching, but the laptop is showing its age, as well. Also, to save a few bucks, I'd like to use the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor from my PC on the mac. The monitor is a NEC Multisync LCD 1525V, and the keyboard and mouse are both MS products.

Would this be a fairly minor change, comparable to upgrading to a new pc with Vista, or something harder to handle?

Just so you know, the "new" MacPros aren't so new anymore. It's been a year since the last update and the next generation is due in the next few months. The prices for the new units will almost certainly be the same as the current generation so you will get more bang for your buck if you can hold out.

Don't buy ram or hard drives from Apple. Their prices are insane.

Also know that the MacPros come with a keyboard and mouse and that OS X is far and away superior (IMHO) to anything that Microsoft is offering. I run XP everyday at work and OS X at home every night.

You can run Windows on any Mac that you decide to buy if you have a need to do so. It can be run as a virtual machine right beside OS X or you can boot into Windows if needed.

I was under the impression that Windows programs could be installed on OS X, rather than doing some kind of partition or running Windows through OS X. That's really no different than any other Linux distro (which, let's be honest here...OS X is just another distro of Linux with better support). With the way Mac folks rave, I thought there was something special about OS X.

If that's all that's going on, then what's the point of spending $2500 on a Mac Pro when I could simply buy an off-the-shelf windows box, wipe the HD, and install my favorite distro of Linux? Everything else would pretty much work the same as with a Mac....it would probably even run Mac software.

<shrug> oh well...we'll see what happens when I put a new power supply in my old windows box.

If that's all that's going on, then what's the point of spending $2500 on a Mac Pro when I could simply buy an off-the-shelf windows box, wipe the HD, and install my favorite distro of Linux? Everything else would pretty much work the same as with a Mac....it would probably even run Mac software.

Calling OS X just another Linux is totally off base. I believe it's heritage is unix and not linux (I could be wrong), but most things built on linux can be built on OS X. The reason for buying a Mac is for OS X and the Mac software (iLife '08, iWork '08). I haven't installed a windows OS on my MacBook Pro yet, and am trying very hard not to, but may end up doing so since I already have all the software to do it and I will probably need to for my new Magellan Triton. The hardest thing to give up is GSAK, by far, but you can do almost everything that GSAK does by just using the commandline interface to gpsbabel which does run on Macs (and every other OS you can imagine).

--Marky

I was under the impression that Windows programs could be installed on OS X, rather than doing some kind of partition or running Windows through OS X. That's really no different than any other Linux distro (which, let's be honest here...OS X is just another distro of Linux with better support). With the way Mac folks rave, I thought there was something special about OS X.

<shrug> oh well...we'll see what happens when I put a new power supply in my old windows box.

Because you can't run OS X on an off the shelf Windows box. It's that simple.

If you don't see any advantage in running OS X then by all means, buy the off the shelf Windows box. I'm not here to convert you and honestly don't care what you run as far as an OS.

Myself? I'm waiting for the MacPro update and then I'm going to wait until the refurbs are on the Apple Store. Then I'm going to buy.

www.macrumors.com

Edited by Paulsan

Mac support from Garmin is slowly appearing/improving. There is a version of WebUpdater for OS X now, and supposedly a version of MapSource is under development (check out Garmin's web site for more info).

I have a desktop Windows based PC and a Mac notebook (a non-intel iBook) along with a Garmin GPSMap 60cx. There are various Mac program that will allow you to transfer waypoints from your Mac to your GPS and vice-versa. I actually don't use them that often - I tend to do more mapping than geocaching these days so I use my PC (one of these days ESRI will get on the mac bandwagon!). GPSBabel is one tool, and there are some other nice tools under development for the Mac - search the forums here for tons more information.

Since you'd be getting a newer mac with an Intel processor you have the option of running Parallels and running Windows software. Note that you will also need a copy of Windows XP/Vista and a valid license code. As I understand it, Parallels is virtualization software, not emulation software (nothing like VirtualPC, for example). Essentially you are running two operating systems at once, however, Parallels apparently has the ability to "hide" the XP/Vista interface so the Windows programs show up in a window on your OSX desktop. You also have the option of dual-booting between OS X and Windows (and possibly more) with the use of Apple's Bootcamp.

You also have the option of running WINE, although I'm not sure how well supported geocaching apps will be. Check out more info at: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX Wine is a Windows Emulator - basically a reverse engineering/rewrite of the windows libraries such that you can run Windows programs on on Unix systems - no copy of Windows required.

Finally - no, OSX is not Linux. They would be, cousins perhaps, rather than siblings. Both use some BSD components but Linux uses the, well, Linux kernel (the "core" of the operating system) while OS X uses the Mach micro-kernel, inherited from NEXT. They're both Unix-variants, but OS X features a *much* more tightly integrated Graphical User Interface while Linux gives you the choice of several different GUIs, although most are based on X. I've used Linux extensively for servers, and it's great in that market, and the desktop functionality is greatly improved these days to the point where it's a viable desktop OS. OS X though, has a development team that's much more focused on the GUI user experience, so it's likely to stay a step ahead for a while. If you're really interested check out one of the sites on the history of Unix - there is a long tangled family tree with East Coast vs West Coast rivalries (System V vs. BSD) and more. If you're into computer history it's fascinating, if you're not you'll get a headache from the acronyms.

FYI, I've been using a Mac-based geocaching and benchmark hunting system for a few years now. You can see a description of it in this posting. I have a Power Mac G4, a Garmin GPS III, and a Palm Zire 71. I also have a MacBook. I just had the MacBook, the GPSr, and the Palm with me while benchmark hunting in Yosemite. They work great together. Main software is MacGPS Pro.

Patty

Edited by Wintertime

If you're just going to run Windows off your Mac, might as well not even get the Mac.

But in terms of solutions to geocaching and interfacing your GPS unit to your Mac and Geocaching.com, you have several options. The best method in my opinion is GeoJournal http://www.geoingenuity.com/main/?page_id=6.

For other options, take a peek at my site http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com

Edited by chimbisimo