Garmin GPSMap 60CSx Custom POI Question

I started using GSAK and the Garmin POI loader so i can update my geocaches in the GPS unit weekly adn I am not tied to a limit as I was previously when I entered them into the unit as Caches.

The problem I have is that the unit only shows custom POI's when zoomed in at the 500ft or greater zoom level. This means I can only check for caches within a few feet of where I currently am because I have to be zoomed in so far not much of the map is visible. If I want to say drive a long route checking out what caches (custom POI's) may be several miles ahead I can not do this at this zoom level.

I can not find any settings anywhere on the unit to make custom POI's visible at say a zoom level of 1 mile or anything zoomed out greater than the 500ft. Even in the custom settings there are settings to make other features visible at different zoom levels but not for custom POI's. If indeed this is not adjustable it renders the 60CSx practically useless for caching in my opinion.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It doesn't render the 60csx useless for caching. It means you can't see custom POIs on a map about 500 ft -a well documented limit of custom POs and one of the tradeoffs that let you use bazillions of those instead of the mere 1000 waypoints.

If you want them on a map at all zoom levels, waypoints are a better choice for you than custom POIs.

I can't believe that Garmin overlooked this when designing this unit. 500ft zoom or greater to see a custom POI is crazy especially as most uses for custom POI's are other than Geocaching (such as when driving along) and you would not have the map zoomed in that far when driving. Surprised they haven't addressed this relatively huge oversight in updates.

I started using GSAK and the Garmin POI loader so i can update my geocaches in the GPS unit weekly adn I am not tied to a limit as I was previously when I entered them into the unit as Caches.

The problem I have is that the unit only shows custom POI's when zoomed in at the 500ft or greater zoom level. This means I can only check for caches within a few feet of where I currently am because I have to be zoomed in so far not much of the map is visible. If I want to say drive a long route checking out what caches (custom POI's) may be several miles ahead I can not do this at this zoom level.

I can not find any settings anywhere on the unit to make custom POI's visible at say a zoom level of 1 mile or anything zoomed out greater than the 500ft. Even in the custom settings there are settings to make other features visible at different zoom levels but not for custom POI's. If indeed this is not adjustable it renders the 60CSx practically useless for caching in my opinion.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

From the Map Page, yes. But you can search for any custom POIs from the Find page. Also, if you want to know about nearby caches as you drive around, you can set a proximity alert distance for all the custom POIs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the proximity alarm and see if that will work but as far as other suggestions I tried the find feature and the problem with that is it just has the list of cache identifier numbers and not the name or approx distance so unless you know the name and location of every cache in the list when you hit find and search custom POI's that is a relatively useless feature for caching.

Also regarding MetroGT's idea, that would only work for waypoints and not for custom POI's. I moved away from waypoints because of pretty crappy 1000 limit and the fact that they can't be stored on the card. It appears that none of the options are anything other than a partial work around to a problem that Garmin should have addressed, especially as emphasis on marketing this unit is placed on the geocaching market.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the proximity alarm and see if that will work but as far as other suggestions I tried the find feature and the problem with that is it just has the list of cache identifier numbers and not the name or approx distance so unless you know the name and location of every cache in the list when you hit find and search custom POI's that is a relatively useless feature for caching.

That's not a unit problem, that's a problem with the way you're forming the POI data.

Also regarding MetroGT's idea, that would only work for waypoints and not for custom POI's. I moved away from waypoints because of pretty crappy 1000 limit and the fact that they can't be stored on the card. It appears that none of the options are anything other than a partial work around to a problem that Garmin should have addressed, especially as emphasis on marketing this unit is placed on the geocaching market.

Where do you get that information that emphasis is placed on the geocaching market. Check the Garmin website. The only reference to geocaching mode is Geocaching mode: yes

And if you download the detailed specs, here's what they have to say:

Both the 60Cx and 60CSx

versions are rugged, waterproof,

full-color navigators that feature a builtin

autorouting basemap and include a

64 MB microSD card for storage of

optional MapSource® topo, marine or

city street map detail. High-sensitivity

GPS receivers assure improved

reception in tree cover or canyons. And

both units feature auto-save of track

data to help guide you back to any

point along your route. In addition, the

"sensor version" 60CSx includes an

electronic compass and barometric

altimeter – making it the trailblazing tool

of choice for hikers and climbers.

So the emphasis on geocaching has been inferred by you and not implied by Garmin. I still do not see the basis of your complaint though, as the gps will do everything you have mentioned IF you know how to manipulate GSAK and the gps. You can set the zoom level for your POI's at whatever scale you want.

Edited by GreatCanadian

If you read my whole post you would see there are two places to adjust:

Map Points (This is installed map POIs and CUSTOM POIs

User Waypoints (This is waypoints)

Adjust the Map Points and it will adjust the Custom POIs.

If you have Declutter On, then you will have the POIs messed up too.

I use the custom POIs and I set the zoom to whatever I want and see them that far out... usually at 3 miles.

Check on your output and then you shouldn't have a problem.

Where do you get that information that emphasis is placed on the geocaching market. Check the Garmin website. The only reference to geocaching mode is Geocaching mode: yes

And if you download the detailed specs, here's what they have to say:

Both the 60Cx and 60CSx

versions are rugged, waterproof,

full-color navigators that feature a builtin

autorouting basemap and include a

64 MB microSD card for storage of

optional MapSource® topo, marine or

city street map detail. High-sensitivity

GPS receivers assure improved

reception in tree cover or canyons. And

both units feature auto-save of track

data to help guide you back to any

point along your route. In addition, the

"sensor version" 60CSx includes an

electronic compass and barometric

altimeter – making it the trailblazing tool

of choice for hikers and climbers.

So the emphasis on geocaching has been inferred by you and not implied by Garmin. I still do not see the basis of your complaint though, as the gps will do everything you have mentioned IF you know how to manipulate GSAK and the gps. You can set the zoom level for your POI's at whatever scale you want.

Actually there are some innaccuracies in your comments, firstly you cannot set the zoom level for POI's to anything you want. They will only show at a zoomed in level of 500 or greater. The customization for zoom levels you are talking about is only possible for waypoints and not POI's and that came from Garmin themselves not me.

Secondly, Garmin has put a lot of development dollars into the geocaching market and geocaching feature sets, whether they work or not. This would be more than apparent to you if you opened your eyes as it is evident all over the web and something so obvious I am not going to get into an argument with you. A prime example is their recent Communicator application. I have ample materials from Garmin including magazine articles (supplied by Garmin) and advertisements that infer this unit is strong on Geocaching features, so these claims have not been "inferred" by me as you suggest but instead are more than evident in several sources.

The simple fact is the products although outstanding in quality, could use some significant improvement still and you can sit there all day convincing yourself that yours is perfect but I on the other hand am trying to get around the units issues and get them resolved.

If you read my whole post you would see there are two places to adjust:

Map Points (This is installed map POIs and CUSTOM POIs

User Waypoints (This is waypoints)

Adjust the Map Points and it will adjust the Custom POIs.

If you have Declutter On, then you will have the POIs messed up too.

I use the custom POIs and I set the zoom to whatever I want and see them that far out... usually at 3 miles.

Check on your output and then you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks for your response. I guess this confirms I have an issue with my unit as it will not allow what you are describing. On my unit adjusting the map points is having no effect on custom POI's and I can still only see them at 500 ft or closer. Now I know the unit should be doing it as you describe I will have to refer the fact that it is not working to Garmin.

"Actually there are some innaccuracies in your comments, firstly you cannot set the zoom level for POI's to anything you want. They will only show at a zoomed in level of 500 or greater. The customization for zoom levels you are talking about is only possible for waypoints and not POI's and that came from Garmin themselves not me."

No, it is possible to set zoom levels for POIs, at least on the 60 series. You and Garmin are not correct about this. "Map > Setup > Points > Map Points" allows a user to determine the maximum zoom level. For example, if you set this to OFF, all POIs including custom POIs will never appear. If you set this to .3 miles, then all POIs including custom POIs will appear at zoom levels of .3 miles or closer.

However, these may be overridden by two factors: declutter, and "Detail" which is found in Map Setup > General.

I can confirm that if you have old firmware, then you may be missing considerable upgrades in the POI functionality. Garmin has indeed been making fixes. With the latest firmware you can indeed set the zoom level for the Custom POIs in the latest version to anything you want.

You will find that it applies to many of the POIs, not just the custom ones. In urban areas if you set the zoom level out far past the 1 mile level, then this will tile the entire display with POIs (nearly all types) and you won't be able to see the streets through it. If you don't like that, then you might contact Garmin to suggest that they provide separate settings for custom POIs from the other POIs.

You might also play with the declutter setting. That too can help.

Well, it seems to be pointless to tell you any different. There are a few other than me who have tried to beat it into your head that POI's CAN BE MANIPULATED TO DISPLAY outside 500. Well, I guess the rest of us are wrong, or there is a problem with your GPS. However, I would suspect the problem is that you don't know how to do it, even though you've been instructed how to do so. Therefore, your response is to say it can't be done because you can't do it.

Actually there are some innaccuracies in your comments, firstly you cannot set the zoom level for POI's to anything you want. They will only show at a zoomed in level of 500 or greater. The customization for zoom levels you are talking about is only possible for waypoints and not POI's .......

Edited by GreatCanadian

Well, it seems to be pointless to tell you any different. There are a few other than me who have tried to beat it into your head that POI's CAN BE MANIPULATED TO DISPLAY outside 500. Well, I guess the rest of us are wrong, or there is a problem with your GPS. However, I would suspect the problem is that you don't know how to do it, even though you've been instructed how to do so. Therefore, your response is to say it can't be done because you can't do it.

Actually there are some innaccuracies in your comments, firstly you cannot set the zoom level for POI's to anything you want. They will only show at a zoomed in level of 500 or greater. The customization for zoom levels you are talking about is only possible for waypoints and not POI's .......

Actually it appears to be a firmware issue and therefore at the time of my query to Garmin, both Garmin and I was correct. Now with new firmware installed I am going to give it a try as suggested to see if it has fixed the problem.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get to the bottom of this and figure out that it is a firmware issue.

Actually it appears to be a firmware issue and therefore at the time of my query to Garmin, both Garmin and I was correct. Now with new firmware installed I am going to give it a try as suggested to see if it has fixed the problem.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get to the bottom of this and figure out that it is a firmware issue.

Glad you got to the bottom of this.

May I could suggest an approach that might make a request for help in the Groundspeak Forums more palatable next time? The people that are trying to help you are not Garmin customer service, they are just GPS owners like you. Try a more collaborative tone next time.