Road Trip coin

PennyPacker

Nice to see another coin with a lot of meaning behind it! Samples look great.

Hope the Ms. feels better soon. I had kidney stone surgery about 4 years ago, just a few days prior to a trip to CA. Best of luck with your road trip. Keep us updated on your adventures.

...Anthus

Thanks for the 'get well', and to all the others that have posted or sent emails. The stone was so large that she had to go under the knife twice within 10 days. She's just about ready to go... hope so, we leave in one week. <fingers crossed>

During past road trips we've usually managed to get a room with internet service and logged in all the finds for the day. That's usually when we route out the next day and put together some pocket queries.

In regards to logging, I'm wondering what the people here think would be the best way to identify where I've left a coin. I've seen/know how the 'mystery' coin cachers have done it - being a fortunate recipient of a couple of those, but this is a little different. I will be placing the coins, 5 or 6 a day, along the route depicted on the coin. I will be logging my finds throughout the days, when an internet connection is possible. While the intent was to see as many of the coins travel as possible, (reason behind the tracking number), I'd also like to see many forum participants here find them.

So, do I leave a log that says "I left a coin here" and risk the coin thieves getting them. Do I leave a code word in the log that only those on the forums would know the meaning of - tipping them off that I left a coin. Do I say nothing about a coin being left behind and let the presence of a log entry indicate there might be coin there... or what?

Any ideas or opinions will be appreciated.

Too bad you aren't coming further east to Michigan, I'd LOVE to meet up with you and make a trade! Hope to be able to buy one though!!

Michigan, eh? Well, there's always next year. I'd kinda like to make a coin each year to take along on the one big road trip we take annually. While we have cached in Idaho (one find) and Wyoming (couple of finds) it would be nice to do a route that went along the northern states. Then I could make a coin with the top half of the western US colored in. But Michigan... I may have to add a couple of days to the usual 10 day trip. :lol:

In regards to logging, I'm wondering what the people here think would be the best way to identify where I've left a coin. I've seen/know how the 'mystery' coin cachers have done it - being a fortunate recipient of a couple of those, but this is a little different. I will be placing the coins, 5 or 6 a day, along the route depicted on the coin. I will be logging my finds throughout the days, when an internet connection is possible. While the intent was to see as many of the coins travel as possible, (reason behind the tracking number), I'd also like to see many forum participants here find them.

So, do I leave a log that says "I left a coin here" and risk the coin thieves getting them. Do I leave a code word in the log that only those on the forums would know the meaning of - tipping them off that I left a coin. Do I say nothing about a coin being left behind and let the presence of a log entry indicate there might be coin there... or what?

Last week I left a coin in a cache as swag and there was already one there also. I logged my find saying that I left a coin. A few days later I went back to the same cache with someone who wanted to trade for that other coin. To make a long story short both coins had been taken and no log since mine nor any additional swag left--basically both stolen. I decided right then that I wouldn't say in my online log that I had left a coin. If they had traded and logged no problem but that wasn't the case.

Actually I like the idea of a code word in your logs. That sounds like fun. People here on the forums in the areas you will be traveling will be watching your logs and probably hitting the caches you have done but a code word sounds cool! Acode word wouldn't take anything away from a random find but may shorten a trip if someone is only looking for that coin.

Too bad you aren't coming further east to Michigan, I'd LOVE to meet up with you and make a trade! Hope to be able to buy one though!!

Michigan, eh? Well, there's always next year. I'd kinda like to make a coin each year to take along on the one big road trip we take annually. While we have cached in Idaho (one find) and Wyoming (couple of finds) it would be nice to do a route that went along the northern states. Then I could make a coin with the top half of the western US colored in. But Michigan... I may have to add a couple of days to the usual 10 day trip. :lol:

If you add Michigan, you might as well add Indiana since you will be going hrough on your way to MI. Email me if you decide to go through IN and I'll try and hook up with you too!

Last week I left a coin in a cache as swag and there was already one there also. I logged my find saying that I left a coin. A few days later I went back to the same cache with someone who wanted to trade for that other coin. To make a long story short both coins had been taken and no log since mine nor any additional swag left--basically both stolen. I decided right then that I wouldn't say in my online log that I had left a coin. If they had traded and logged no problem but that wasn't the case.

Actually I like the idea of a code word in your logs. That sounds like fun. People here on the forums in the areas you will be traveling will be watching your logs and probably hitting the caches you have done but a code word sounds cool! Acode word wouldn't take anything away from a random find but may shorten a trip if someone is only looking for that coin.

A code word would be great idea for those in the know. No guarantees the coin would be there but it could set up an exciting adventure for those who choose to seek one. :lol:

And perhaps in the coin flip a short note to say "This coin is a gift from PennyPacker. Please log your coin find so we can enjoy your adventures with you." If you want them to trade fairly you could include that too. I gather when people find coins in caches, especially those not as familiar with geocoins as we are, they feel that they may be stealing something and are reluctant to log their treasure or tell anyone of their find.

All we can do is educate people by letting them know that (1) they can keep the gift; (2) they should trade fair if able to; and (3) those who left the coin want to know that is was picked up and will be appreciated & enjoyed.

I'd say by code word. I once said I left a coin in a cache for the next to keep. The cache got raided and the contents dumped out of the container -- the very day after I logged it. I'm not sure if it was a considence or not. But, now I either don't log that I put a coin in there for keeps or I use some other form such as "L: Decoder" or "L: swag".

Hope that helps.

I received the coins today and have decided to sell 40 of the Antique Gold coins (45 were made). I will be leaving 13 of the 15 Antique Copper coins in caches, one in each state, as we pass through and hope to leave 30 or 40 of the Antique Silver coins behind along the way as well. Maybe a dozen of the Antique Silver coins will be activated, the remainder will not.

Before I get to the purchase details I just want to thank Sara & Oakcoins for all their assistance. Sara worked with me all along, getting Jamie at MadhattersNeverland (thank you Jamie) involved to finalize the artwork, and never complained about my constant changes.

I've had to sort through messages here and PM's and emails to figure out who all wanted one of these coins. I'll respond to the emails and PMs outside of the forums, but here's a list of those that expressed interest in this thread. Please let me know if you're still interested by sending the email requested below.

Toojin & Bart

sfwife

Son of Cyclops

AtlantaGal

mrjiffy

sweetlife

donyates

LadyBee4T

dardevle

Anthus

rasj

plumbrokeacres

jackieontherd

Team OleOmi

Rockin Roddy

wyohunter

I will try to honor the requests of those that have already contacted me by email and PMs and will have to limit the purchases to one coin per cacher.

If you're on the list, or not on the list but want to purchase a coin send an email to:

mike@mikeandvalery.com

Subject: Road Trip coin

Name:

Email address:

Geocaching.com forum name:

Paypal address.

Coins are $7 + $2 US shipping, $3 anywhere else. I will try to get them out this week before I leave (Friday), if not, I'll mail them out the week of 9-24.

Also, let me know if you're interested in an Antique Silver coin if I have any left over when I return. Also, the coins are trackable, but since only 100 were produced, they have the generic icon.

How on earth did I miss this thread until now! <_<

Email sent. Hoping I'm not too late. I'll happily release one of these into the wild down under for it to travel and be discovered.

Where have you been, man? <_<

Um... bush? :anitongue:

Have been busy with life and trades, and a few other things and I ended up letting the forums slip a little bit. So bad... so bad...

Just in case you wanted to know what the actual Antique Gold coin looks like...

roadtripgold.jpg

The colors are a bit washed out in this scan, they are actually the 'geocaching.com' colors.

I like the Ant. Gold. It seems to match some of the colors of the land you plan to traverse on this trip.

Let us know if you will be near Omaha on the 29th as we will be there for soccer. ;)

Happy trails!

If you only intend to activate 15 and sell 25, I have to agree with Marky and say tracking numbers are probably not worth it since these coins will only end up in people's collections as keepers or good traders at your expense. Different if you sold more than 25. Then you could probably cover more of the cost of the tracking numbers but then you would probably want to increase your total number minted as well. Unless you intend to sell the 25 at a really high price. If you still plan on tracking numbers ebay may be your better option for a potentially better return. Ultimatly you have to ask yourself, have you thought about why you want tracking numbers on them? Does that reason outweigh the cost? Could a TB tag attached to the ones you intend to drop serve the same purpose? ;) I think if you did a full run on these coins they would sell out no problem. But that is just my opinion. ;);)

Hmmm... I guess my intent isn't coming across very well. I am only going to activate 15 at the most. 25 will be in the hands of those that purchase them, the remaining 60 will be left unactivated, in caches. I originally intended to leave them non-trackable, but since I enjoy watching 'travelers' travel, I'd rather make them all trackable and watch the ones that are found, activated and then released. I realize many will be found and kept, I don't care about that. Not a single GeoJelly of mine that was activated and released is still in circulation, they've all gone missing. That's the chance you take. Hopefully, many of the Road Trip coins will be found and then activated and then released... those I will get to watch, read the logs of, and enjoy their travels. Every unactivated coin I've found in a cache I activated, made a comment on the coin page about who left it, thanked them, then released the coin. Hopefully, many will do this for this coin. Maybe not.

I'm not looking for a 'return' or a 'profit', just 25 people to cover the cost of tracking numbers for a coin that I already decided I'd finance entirely. 25 people with $6 covers the tracking number cost. I realize that the current coin community may be skeptical about motives and margins, none of that is here. The response has been better than expected, so I may have to make an adjustment, but it will be minor.

I think you will be disappointed if you expect the NON activated to travel. Most who find a coin unact. will add it to their collection. I could see leaving behind ALL activated except copper. and thein you could put a note telling other cachers tomove it along on its own road trip and see which gets the most miles.

Either way, put me down for a purchase, would love to add it to my collection as I travel all over in my 1935 Ford Pickup streetrod.

Have a safe trip and Happy Caching ;)

Beautiful coin, I'll have to watch your travels and when you come through Arizona, I may have to make a run up north to see if I can figure out which caches you've hit and left a coin in.

Heck, I'd even be willing to meet you somewhere in Flagstaff, or better yet, Williams to say hi and make a trade!

Well... we stopped in Flagstaff once before... that was enough. ;)

Williams, on the other hand, very nice place. I'd love to stop there again and meet up. I'll keep you posted.

Teach me to just browse the threads! I've somehow been skipping this one.

Please do keep me updated if you are able to be there on a Friday - Sunday. I live in Phoenix but have a cabin just outside Williams.

Beautiful coin, I'll have to watch your travels and when you come through Arizona, I may have to make a run up north to see if I can figure out which caches you've hit and left a coin in.

Heck, I'd even be willing to meet you somewhere in Flagstaff, or better yet, Williams to say hi and make a trade!

Well... we stopped in Flagstaff once before... that was enough. ;)

Williams, on the other hand, very nice place. I'd love to stop there again and meet up. I'll keep you posted.

Please do keep me updated if you are able to be there on a Friday - Sunday. I live in Phoenix but have a cabin just outside Williams.

See! I'm not the only one! ;)

A thought (as I've just mentioned to you in an email - but others might also like to pick up on this idea).

You really want people to activate the coins and get them traveling.

Several people have sent me coins to release, and have put my geonick into the coin title, even though they still own the coin, eg 'keewee's Kansas Sunshine geocoin'.

Maybe, to encourage those dropped to travel, activate them, and leave a note with them for the finder to contact you, and that you'll put their name in the title... or even better, that if they contact you, you will transfer ownership of the coin to them (ie. adopt it to them).

That way they own the coin, to do with what they like, AND it is activated - which will hopefully encourage the coin to travel, or at the very least be discover by others. :o

Just an idea I had.

Cheers & have an awesome roadtrip

Craig (keewee)

A thought (as I've just mentioned to you in an email - but others might also like to pick up on this idea).

You really want people to activate the coins and get them traveling.

Several people have sent me coins to release, and have put my geonick into the coin title, even though they still own the coin, eg 'keewee's Kansas Sunshine geocoin'.

Maybe, to encourage those dropped to travel, activate them, and leave a note with them for the finder to contact you, and that you'll put their name in the title... or even better, that if they contact you, you will transfer ownership of the coin to them (ie. adopt it to them).

That way they own the coin, to do with what they like, AND it is activated - which will hopefully encourage the coin to travel, or at the very least be discover by others. :o

Just an idea I had.

Craig (keewee)

That is an AWESOME idea, printing out the post to keep in my "Remember that idea?" file. I would love to be in on a coin trip like that:)

We will be leaving on a Friday (see below for which Friday) and plan to stop in or around Williams that night. We usually don't have an itinerary, not a rigid one anyways. Anybody that's tried to reach a mileage goal AND cache at the same time knows most goals are pointless. We've tried to keep the miles per day down to 300, Williams being 333 from our start point, so I think that is obtainable. I'll keep you posted.

I think you will be disappointed if you expect the NON activated to travel. Most who find a coin unact. will add it to their collection. I could see leaving behind ALL activated except copper. and thein you could put a note telling other cachers tomove it along on its own road trip and see which gets the most miles.

I really don't expect many to become activated. They started out, as Steel City Babes pointed out, as swag. I then realized my investment would not increase if I made them trackable and sold a few, at least they COULD be activated, and travel, now. I'd like them to travel, but I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

Either way, put me down for a purchase, would love to add it to my collection as I travel all over in my 1935 Ford Pickup streetrod.

Have a safe trip and Happy Caching :)

Yours is on its way :laughing:

Got mine today and its a beauty!!! Hope your trip goes extremely well! Now what did you say that code word was!! LOL

Glad you like the coin :)

Trip has experienced a slight delay, see below. But the code word... yeah, the code word. I'm contemplating using keewee's idea regarding activating then adopting-out some of the coins. Either way, no copper coins will be activated, neither will most silver ones. The coins that are activated will be dropped into caches and logged in the 'normal' way. The unactivated coins will be dropped and no mention will be made of the drop other than the word 'silver' or 'copper' will be included somewhere in the log. The word 'coin' will never be mentioned. I'm looking forward to finding 13 different ways to use the word copper in a cache log :laughing:

Received mine today also. Best of luck on your trip. Hope the Mrs. is doing better. Look forward to reading your adventure through your cache logs.

....Anthus

She's not :) To make a long story short (after reviewing my post - I guess I didn't succeed), she went in yesterday for a follow-up appointment. She's had minor kidney pain since the surgeries and a fever almost daily. The stone was huge, the staghorn variety. The Dr. expected it would take 3 trips to the OR to get it all. First time in he got a huge piece of it (he was very proud - walked around the recovery & waiting rooms bragging about his accomplishment - I was happy for him), second time in he got all but 5% of it due to its difficult-to-reach location. The third trip to the OR was likely not needed as he thought he could medicate the remaining stone into a soft enough state that he could use ultrasound to break it up and have it 'pass' normally... after the road trip! Well... turns out that during the follow-up he found that the ureter appears to be blocked a bit (causing the pain and fever) by what little remains of the stone, he couldn't find it! As Jimi Hendrix penned, she's Stone Free! Unfortunately, he has to perform a minor procedure on MONDAY to remove the blockage - I won't even bother describing how that's done... you can use your imagination on that one. Dr. said she'd be foolish, with the progress she's made, to postpone the needed procedure to go hunting for 'little treasures'. He's got a point I guess :laughing:

So... we may now leave on the 28th, or worst case, 10-5. But we're still going!

That way they own the coin, to do with what they like, AND it is activated - which will hopefully encourage the coin to travel, or at the very least be discover by others. :laughing:

Just an idea I had.

Craig (keewee)

I think you're onto something here Craig. I may do that to a few of the silver coins, but not the copper coins. I expect them to find a home alongside other geocoins, which is okay, all I ask is that those who find and keep them just let me know who got 'em.

Wish you were making it to Ohio :laughing:

Well... there's always next year :)

Since it's kinda difficult caching in the eastern half of the US when you live in the far western half of the US, I mapped out a tentative fly/drive road trip for next year. Starting in Pennsylvania, we can hit 17 states along the northern US on our way to Oregon with only Idaho being a state we've already been to, still about 3500 miles. Hmmm, time to get out my geocoin sketch pad...

We will be leaving on a Friday (see below for which Friday) and plan to stop in or around Williams that night. We usually don't have an itinerary, not a rigid one anyways. Anybody that's tried to reach a mileage goal AND cache at the same time knows most goals are pointless. We've tried to keep the miles per day down to 300, Williams being 333 from our start point, so I think that is obtainable. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, I know the deal about miles AND caches. My daughter finally got irritated on the way back from Tucson to Phoenix because it had already been 4 hours...and it's only about a 2 hour drive if you get stuck behind the retired snowbird that does the speed limit and nothing more. It can easily be done in 1.5 hours with very little risk of a ticket.

Keep me updated, I'll email you with contact info.

Yeah, I know the deal about miles AND caches. My daughter finally got irritated on the way back from Tucson to Phoenix because it had already been 4 hours...and it's only about a 2 hour drive if you get stuck behind the retired snowbird that does the speed limit and nothing more. It can easily be done in 1.5 hours with very little risk of a ticket.

Keep me updated, I'll email you with contact info.

I had that last weekend from my wife. Twizel to Ashburton - about 2.5 hours. It took us 6! And the last few caches took A LOT of arm twisting to allow me to stop! :lol:

But a least I knocked off 8 caches, so I was happy... well... sort of... she wasn't - and we all know how that works :lol:

Very nice coin arrived in today's mail ! Very very nice. You and Oakcoins and MadhattersNeverland did a great job on this.

(I keep thinking of copper puns... really really bad... <_< )

Let's hear 'em! I can add them to my list of bad ones. Looks like I'll be dropping off a few gold coins also, so be on the look-out for the word 'gold' also. Now I gotta make sure I don't accidentally throw in one of those words in a cache find log that doesn't get a coin left behind <_<

Road Trip is officially under way. I decided today to have several contests to give away extra coins so be on the look-out for those. Grabbed a few caches today and didn't leave many coins behind in California. As a CA native, in light of the current situation in my state and my desire to get out of it, I'm not gonna leave many coins there, consider it my own personal protest - that ought to show 'em :o

The copper Road Trip coin that was designated for Arizona has been left behind, in addition to the other two finishes, in the hands of Haughton's Hunters (who responded with some cool coins himself) who met Ms. PP and I tonight for dinner in Williams, Arizona. We had a great time this evening and it was an awesome way to start our trip. We're looking forward to meeting other cachers and forum regulars along the way to exchange stories and coins. Oh... if you're ever in Williams, Arizona, stop in at the Typhoon Saloon... just remember to bring your own 'beverages'. Tomorrow... the remainder of Arizona and most of New Mexico.