Road Trip coin

PennyPacker

Ms. PennyPacker and I have been going on 3 or 4 road trips per year for the last couple of years, and since getting into geocaching we've incorporated that into our road trips. This year we decided to make a coin to leave behind in some of the caches we'll be finding. The coin looks like this:

coinSmall.jpg

We are having 100 made, 85 in Antique Gold and 15 in Antique Copper. We're going to drop off all of them, about 10/day with each state getting one of the Antique Copper coins. The original plan was to just have sequential numbers on them, not trackable. I really wanted them to be trackable, but that just added to the cost coming out of our pocket. I then decided to make them trackable and sell 25 of them to cover the tracking number costs, the down side being that I will only have 75 of them to place (that will be plenty I would think), but now they would all be trackable. So, unless this is breaking forum rules, I just want to check on the forum interest in this coin before I go ahead and add the tracking numbers. There will be no non-trackable coins for sale, either way. Price would only be enough to cover the tracking numbers, plus shipping.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I would happily buy one of your trackable to roadtrip coins (if the cost is something I can afford, don't go wild!)

And, I can see that its out of the way a bit, but if you haven't been to the oldest cache, which is in Kansas, it would be cool to drop down and get that one.

I would suggest you make enough extra coins so collectors will be able to get the coins they want and hopefully keep the ones you placed out there traveling.

There is nothing wrong with selling some of your coins and in the process making a little profit to cover the tracking numbers and even offsetting the cost of the ones you release.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

I would happily buy one of your trackable to roadtrip coins (if the cost is something I can afford, don't go wild!)

And, I can see that its out of the way a bit, but if you haven't been to the oldest cache, which is in Kansas, it would be cool to drop down and get that one.

Our trips are usually very spontaneous as far as route diversion goes. Side-trips are always welcome. The oldest cache is something I will put on the 'options' list... thanks.

Cost will be about $6 plus shipping.

I'd make a metal for dropping in caches and a metal to sell. This way, people who want one but won't be able to find one can still get one.

Good idea. If I end up selling some, I will sell the Antique Gold ones, and make the ones that will be left behind in caches Antique silver or something similar. I'll still have the 15 Antique Coppers to drop off also.

Looks great, will these only be availble in caches during your roadtrip?

Right now... 75 of them will be dropped off in caches, or I'll just hand them to other cachers if I see them on the route. I plan to log my cache finds daily but will not log where I dropped off any coins. :huh:

I also have one of Glenn's Friendship Run Compass Rose coins (#11 - 3,851 miles) that I've been running around with that I'd like pass on to somebody.

I like your coin and the concept for it. I am sure the coin collectors will be in a frenzy for the 25 you will be selling so I suggest you price em high. More important I would like to invite you to dinner at the best barbecue place in Kansas City when your route brings you through my town. I see on your coin that it does. Let me know when you guys plan to be here and I can also show you around all the coolest caches in KC. You will be amazed I am sure. We have a great variety of very interesting geocaches.

I like your coin and the concept for it. I am sure the coin collectors will be in a frenzy for the 25 you will be selling so I suggest you price em high. More important I would like to invite you to dinner at the best barbecue place in Kansas City when your route brings you through my town. I see on your coin that it does. Let me know when you guys plan to be here and I can also show you around all the coolest caches in KC. You will be amazed I am sure. We have a great variety of very interesting geocaches.

Awesome offer! I will print this message and bring this pseudo-coupon with me and cash it in, for sure. Looks like we will be very close to you:

map-1.jpg

About 15 miles or so? We're planning on 400 miles/day which should leave 2 days of no travel. Haven't really decided which days/what locations the days off will be, but Kansas is as good a place as any, almost half way.

I've already accepted the idea that I'd be paying for the coins, I'll be happy if I can get others to pay for the tracking. I benefit a great deal from just watching coins travel around. Most of coins that I'll be dropping off will not be activated, but I'll be watching the ones that are found and do get activated - the ones lucky enough to avoid collections.

Thanks very much for the offer. :anibad:

Am I correct in assuming that the 75 you drop will be travelers that you have already activated? Otherwise, I don't really see the point in the tracking numbers.

--Marky

No... of the 75 that will be left in caches, I would guess 60 will be unactivated, if not more. I'll probably only activate 1 coin per state, and it will not be the Antique Copper coin.

I also would like to puchase one if they became available. I am not a big collector but these coins look GREAT!!!! Please keep me in mind if you do decide to sell a few. I do not buy to many coins, 6 or 7 so far so price for me is not a big deal. You name it, I'll pay it. Within reason of course. :anibad:

Dardevle

Am I correct in assuming that the 75 you drop will be travelers that you have already activated? Otherwise, I don't really see the point in the tracking numbers.

--Marky

No... of the 75 that will be left in caches, I would guess 60 will be unactivated, if not more. I'll probably only activate 1 coin per state, and it will not be the Antique Copper coin.

If you only intend to activate 15 and sell 25, I have to agree with Marky and say tracking numbers are probably not worth it since these coins will only end up in people's collections as keepers or good traders at your expense. Different if you sold more than 25. Then you could probably cover more of the cost of the tracking numbers but then you would probably want to increase your total number minted as well. Unless you intend to sell the 25 at a really high price. If you still plan on tracking numbers ebay may be your better option for a potentially better return. Ultimatly you have to ask yourself, have you thought about why you want tracking numbers on them? Does that reason outweigh the cost? Could a TB tag attached to the ones you intend to drop serve the same purpose? :tired: I think if you did a full run on these coins they would sell out no problem. But that is just my opinion. :anibad::ph34r:

If you only intend to activate 15 and sell 25, I have to agree with Marky and say tracking numbers are probably not worth it since these coins will only end up in people's collections as keepers or good traders at your expense. Different if you sold more than 25. Then you could probably cover more of the cost of the tracking numbers but then you would probably want to increase your total number minted as well. Unless you intend to sell the 25 at a really high price. If you still plan on tracking numbers ebay may be your better option for a potentially better return. Ultimatly you have to ask yourself, have you thought about why you want tracking numbers on them? Does that reason outweigh the cost? Could a TB tag attached to the ones you intend to drop serve the same purpose? :tired: I think if you did a full run on these coins they would sell out no problem. But that is just my opinion. :anibad::ph34r:

Hmmm... I guess my intent isn't coming across very well. I am only going to activate 15 at the most. 25 will be in the hands of those that purchase them, the remaining 60 will be left unactivated, in caches. I originally intended to leave them non-trackable, but since I enjoy watching 'travelers' travel, I'd rather make them all trackable and watch the ones that are found, activated and then released. I realize many will be found and kept, I don't care about that. Not a single GeoJelly of mine that was activated and released is still in circulation, they've all gone missing. That's the chance you take. Hopefully, many of the Road Trip coins will be found and then activated and then released... those I will get to watch, read the logs of, and enjoy their travels. Every unactivated coin I've found in a cache I activated, made a comment on the coin page about who left it, thanked them, then released the coin. Hopefully, many will do this for this coin. Maybe not.

I'm not looking for a 'return' or a 'profit', just 25 people to cover the cost of tracking numbers for a coin that I already decided I'd finance entirely. 25 people with $6 covers the tracking number cost. I realize that the current coin community may be skeptical about motives and margins, none of that is here. The response has been better than expected, so I may have to make an adjustment, but it will be minor.

I wish I could afford that kind of swag!!! :anibad:

Now you've got the idea...

I've been blessed with good health, a good job, an awesome girlfriend (with a good job), two great kids and I'm enjoying life more now (at 51 - why did it take so long?) than ever before. Coins and caching and traveling are all part of the enjoyment.

Hmmm... I guess my intent isn't coming across very well. I am only going to activate 15 at the most. 25 will be in the hands of those that purchase them, the remaining 60 will be left unactivated, in caches. I originally intended to leave them non-trackable, but since I enjoy watching 'travelers' travel, I'd rather make them all trackable and watch the ones that are found, activated and then released. I realize many will be found and kept, I don't care about that. Not a single GeoJelly of mine that was activated and released is still in circulation, they've all gone missing. That's the chance you take. Hopefully, many of the Road Trip coins will be found and then activated and then released... those I will get to watch, read the logs of, and enjoy their travels. Every unactivated coin I've found in a cache I activated, made a comment on the coin page about who left it, thanked them, then released the coin. Hopefully, many will do this for this coin. Maybe not.

I'm not looking for a 'return' or a 'profit', just 25 people to cover the cost of tracking numbers for a coin that I already decided I'd finance entirely. 25 people with $6 covers the tracking number cost. I realize that the current coin community may be skeptical about motives and margins, none of that is here. The response has been better than expected, so I may have to make an adjustment, but it will be minor.

I didn't think you were looking for a return or profit - not at all - lol. Was just thinking that paying for tracking numbers to have them sit and never be activated seemed a hit to you. However, if you can cover the tracking numbers through the sale of 25 coins, it sounds like an even greater thing you are doing for the caching community. Thanks! :anibad:

Beautiful coin, I'll have to watch your travels and when you come through Arizona, I may have to make a run up north to see if I can figure out which caches you've hit and left a coin in.

Heck, I'd even be willing to meet you somewhere in Flagstaff, or better yet, Williams to say hi and make a trade!

Well... we stopped in Flagstaff once before... that was enough. :anitongue:

Williams, on the other hand, very nice place. I'd love to stop there again and meet up. I'll keep you posted.

So what version will be sold?

Looks like I'll be selling the Antique Gold. I will not be selling any of the Antique Copper, although I expect to have at least 2 left over after the trip. I may sell a few of the Antique Silvers when I get back if I don't leave them all behind.

Got the notification today that they have been shipped. :D

So what version will be sold?

Looks like I'll be selling the Antique Gold. I will not be selling any of the Antique Copper, although I expect to have at least 2 left over after the trip. I may sell a few of the Antique Silvers when I get back if I don't leave them all behind.

Got the notification today that they have been shipped. :D

As I said earlier I'm also interested when you put them up for sale!