Caches along a Route (Wonky Map)

TheBeanTeam

If this has been addressed before apologies in advance. I tried to find a mention of it but didn't run across a thread with this issue in it.

I ran a few PQ's for caches along routes and noticed the maps were very odd.

The PQ's themselves seem to have returned properly it is just that the route is not showing properly on the map.

In this example the route should go from Tillamook Oregon to Newport Oregon. Instead the map shows it going into the middle of the pacific.

When I uploaded this (and other) KML file some time ago it was fine. I have checked several and the odd route pattern is showing up consistently. Am I doing something wrong?

e3921d84-edac-4643-9946-887a36cfa9d1.jpg

If this has been addressed before apologies in advance. I tried to find a mention of it but didn't run across a thread with this issue in it.

I ran a few PQ's for caches along routes and noticed the maps were very odd.

The PQ's themselves seem to have returned properly it is just that the route is not showing properly on the map.

In this example the route should go from Tillamook Oregon to Newport Oregon. Instead the map shows it going into the middle of the pacific.

When I uploaded this (and other) KML file some time ago it was fine. I have checked several and the odd route pattern is showing up consistently. Am I doing something wrong?

e3921d84-edac-4643-9946-887a36cfa9d1.jpg

Hi! I know we usually communicate over on the Waymarking forums...

Anyway, I had a "problem" similar to yours. In my case the preview screen that you're showing was fine....but the map preview that I could see LATER on was always incorrect, even though the RESULTS were right.

The last time I did it, though, I didn't have the problem. I thought I posted about it, but I can't find it anywhere either.

Thanks for the replies. The routes are correct it is just a map view issue that makes you go :huh: .

I didn't know if it was a known issue or not.

Looks like the resize of images isn't working correctly right now either. Wow thats a big pic I posted. It was uploaded to one of my caches and usually they resize to a forum viewable size but not this time.

I was just going to the forums to report this same thing and saw your post. Created a .kml file from Angels Camp, CA to San Francisco, CA and everything looks fine. Query and maps on GC.com look great.

Created another .kml for Napa, CA to Angels Camp, CA and here the preview route goes "wonky" as you would say!! Looks great from Napa until I get to Valley Springs then -- oops! it heads north. It really should be heading to what is called "Angels City" on the preview.

Here is a link to the public route so that you can view real time what I am talking about: Napa CA to Angels Camp CA

The pocket query looks great however, its just the preview on the map.

I just tried the caches along a route the other day before we left on vacation and couldn't get it to work. I went to Google and created a .KML file, then "browsed" for it on my drive, then told it to upload but nothing ever shows up as being uploaded? :rolleyes: I usually use MSN expolorer and thought it might be an issue with that since there have been wierd things like that before so I tried IE7 and get the same results: no results! Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I just tried the caches along a route the other day before we left on vacation and couldn't get it to work. I went to Google and created a .KML file, then "browsed" for it on my drive, then told it to upload but nothing ever shows up as being uploaded? :rolleyes: I usually use MSN expolorer and thought it might be an issue with that since there have been wierd things like that before so I tried IE7 and get the same results: no results! Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

After uploading the file, you should see a page with a small google map on the right and a list on the left containing the route you just uploaded. Click the small checkbox beside the route name and click the "save selected routes" button. At that point, click on the "your created routes" tab- does anything show up there?

546861b6-0045-4080-a117-6240f833f892.jpg

edited to add image

Edited by DavidMac

I get A map on the right but not the right one, it's usually the one for the Seattle area, and see on the left where the list should be but no routes show up after I have clicked on upload. My progress bar shows it's working on it then it says it's "done" on the bottom left of the browser but no file shows up?

Edited by drames