simonp50

Just thought I'd say hi as I have just joined a couple of days ago.

Have'nt got a GPS but still managed to find my first cache last night in Ireland

Anyone have advice on which GPS to get, next week I'm off to the Middle East working where I will be lokking for more caches :huh:

Simonp50

I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend for my first GPS and it did WAY more than I needed for geocaching. Any of the entry level hand helds will work great for you if all you want it for it is caching. If you want to do some fancy routing, mapping and stuff like that, you're looking at spending more money.

If you watch the GPS Garage Sale, you should be able to find a Garmin eTrex , eTrex Legend, or similar entry level GPSr for $100 or less.

Welcome to caching.

My history of GPS useage:

First 6 months borrowed a friends yellow etrex. Learned how to operate a GPS and what I did and didn't like about that unit. Lucky I found that I enjoyed caching before purchasing a GPS.

Then purchased a Garmen Legend. Used for 16 months. Great started unit. Many of the cachers I go with had the Garmin 60Csx. Say the advantages what that unit had over mine. So finally upgraded to that unit in June.

Oh, what a major learning curve learning how to operate that unit. Very happy I made the investment. Well worth all the pennies and dollars.

Options to consider: how electronic savy are you?

All gps come with basic maps. More detailed maps are available to upload to the gps. Really helps when trying to find the cache on the correct roads.

What mapping programs do you have? I have purchased two programs so far. Hindsite I would have saved $300 if invested in the 60Csx and garmin mapping upfront instead of taking the intermediate steps. Personally I wish I had purchased the 60csx initially. Now the plan is to use the Legend as a backup and as a TB hotel GPS. Keep that one loaded with TB hotel while using the 60 as the primary gps.

Heard the phrase once. Purchase the most that your budget will allow.

Accordiongal

Hi, Fellow GCer's....

Just thought I'd introduce myself...this seems like such a great way to make new friends!

I've been thoroughly enjoying all the posts on the forum, and am now itching to get out of work today and go start hunting!

Those who have caches around the Austin area will start to see my name in their logs soon!

Wish me luck!

JMM aka "Austinsweetnsour" :huh: