Partner and team question- Haliburton area

rmcphee

I have a question and request...

I see teams, and partners looking for caches and posts in the forums and logs.

Being new to GC'ing and doing this with my kids, I would be interested in getting a partner to GC with, to share fuel, and adventures with.

So is there a place that I can go to chat with people that may be interested in this, and find someone in my area to go with?

It is not always safe to be doing this alone.

And someone please explain teaming to me, is this just a name, or is there records kept for a registered team???

Rob

I have a question and request...

I see teams, and partners looking for caches and posts in the forums and logs.

Being new to GC'ing and doing this with my kids, I would be interested in getting a partner to GC with, to share fuel, and adventures with.

So is there a place that I can go to chat with people that may be interested in this, and find someone in my area to go with?

It is not always safe to be doing this alone.

And someone please explain teaming to me, is this just a name, or is there records kept for a registered team???

Rob

I started using the Team Magic name even though it was just me caching at the time. Whenever I take out a newbie, they have the chance to cache, and still see their name in print when it comes time to log. Now, with a permanent partner in crime, we still use the Team Magic handle.

As for partnering, use the friends option on the side of your log in page on GC.com to contact some other cachers local to you, and go from there. You never know how many friends you can make at this game until you stick your neck out.

best way to make friends is to hold a pub night in the area, and see who shows up. It brings alot of local geocachers out of the wood-work

You will get the odd pig as well. :huh:

Seriously, an event is a great idea. Also, take a look at who is finding caches near you and contact them. Most cachers will be happy to join up for some fun.

Edited by Tequila

Make sure you sign up for the weekly cache notification (look at the bottom of your "My Account" page). There are events listed that you might be able to attend.

Another way is to look at "List newest in Ontario" on the right side - events are at the top.

To toot a local horn - check out our annual weekend down here :

GHAGAFAP VI

You'll meet all sorts of people from around the province and even from the USA too! It's a chance to pick brains, learn some new tricks and have fun!

Welcome to the caching world. :anibad:

Annie

Thanks for all the replies and advice...

Is there no where that has an orginized team listing with total caches???

Or do I see a website in the making here to do this???

Would anyone be interested in this?

I can make the site, and register the domain name, and host it...

I have started the process of registering geocachingteams.com

Before you program and design a website, and put alot of effort into it... maybe you want to try it first? :tired:

oh well to each their own :anibad: I still suggest the event idea!

Central Ontario Geocachers (COG) - made an event cache in Minden (30 minutes from Haliburton?) this february to do group caching. It started as a thread that got alot of local interest on the COG forums.

all he did was start a thread on our forums, and before we knew it there were 20 people hiking 30 kilometers through the bitter february wilderness~!

I have started the process of registering geocachingteams.com

Before you program and design a website, and put alot of effort into it... maybe you want to try it first? :)

oh well to each their own :lol: I still suggest the event idea!

Central Ontario Geocachers (COG) - made an event cache in Minden (30 minutes from Haliburton?) this february to do group caching. It started as a thread that got alot of local interest on the COG forums.

all he did was start a thread on our forums, and before we knew it there were 20 people hiking 30 kilometers through the bitter february wilderness~!

Oh don't get me wrong here... I will be attending a few of the events in the area, that is high on my todo list, there is one this weekend, but I am not able to go because I have to photograph a wedding...

Just thought that this was a good idea, and to help the geo-community grow and give them more tools... And I like to create websites... I write alot of PHP scripting...

Also feel that I am doing my part...