MobiPocket Support (or lack therof)

Jeremy

Well, I've read the entire thread on this and I guess I won't be using my Palm for awhile and will just return to using my GPS to locate caches. I was a Mobi user and, as some have said, it was so easy I'd do downloads and do quick geocaches for a spot of afternoon entertainment. I've looked at the other programs and the 8 bucks doesn't bother me (especially since the Cdn dollar is almost par) but having to sit down and not only learn a new program but jump through a number of hoops to get it on my Palm isn't worth it at this time.

As some said, to get full value on the programs you have to be a bit of a tech geek. If you love this kind of high tech wizardry, enjoy it but I enjoy solving problems in other areas and like to do my geocaching with easy software that allows me to spend my sweat finding the caches, not programing something to my palm.

I certainly don't get mad at Mobipocket or Groundspeak over this - I'll let them get ulcers fighting each other but, you'd think by now, someone would have come up with something similar that Groundspeak could use (and I'll pay 8 bucks for it) that doesn't require me to exercise my tech muscles more than Mobi did to put the file on my Palm. ( I still remember how easy it was - no sweat, no swearing and no wearing out my mouse finger). I don't need a program with all the bells and whistles that will let me manipulate my data to the nth degree after multiple conversions, downloads and whatever it takes to go through multiple programs. A nice searchable ebook is fine thank you. Hmmm, kind of like Mobi.

I'm glad the tech geeks have their programs to satisfy that inner need of solving complexity but some of us like a more easier life that allows us to reduce stress, get physical exercise and enjoy a few moments of enjoying the outdoors, without taking hours to prepare learning dual programs. I have other areas in which to stretch my mind and enjoy stress and I get paid to do that.

For what it's worth.... Happy Geocaching all, no matter what you use to get the enjoyment.

I agree, I miss having the convience of Mobi but I guess we have to realize in this technical age that things are always changing. I've been using the "Adobe" print option at the top of each cache page and choosing which option to "print", once the page pops up I highlight and copy the entire page, I then go to my palm and just pull up the memo option on my palm program, copy the information and it will automatically save it as text. When I Hotsync it will download all the information onto to my Palm, I just have to do one cache at a time. The initial setup was time consuming but once I got in the bulk of the caches that I wanted I just entered the new ones I wanted to look for as they came in and ran the Hotsync just before we went out caching so we would have the information. It is more work but it's still a way to stay paperless. Were also looking at the possibility of going to a cellphone service that would be compatable with the Trimble software which will allow you to download the information directly to your cell phone, we have been in touch with them and understand that they may be offering this service to Verizon and Alltel users so we're just waiting until this summer when our contract with our provider expires. I guess we have all had to move out of our comfort zone but I guess that's what makes you explore new options and sometimes you find better ones. Good luck!

Cachemate works great. I like it way better than MobiPocket. I use it on a Palm M500, but there is also a PPC version.

From GSAK it is a simple "Export" to Palm and all the data goes into the Palm at the next HotSync.

That's great, but Cachemate is not a free program. My member ship benefit has disappeared and now you suggest we all pay for Cachemate. GC.com should pay for our license of that one...

...and my 5 minute cache prep tonight has turned into hours. THANKS GC.com!

Miragee, I have a Palm Zire 31 for now, do you know if Cachemate will work for me? I am exploring other options but for now I wouldn't mind paying $8 if it has the same convience as Mobi did.

I'm starting to go down the road of HanSohn on this...

I don't GeoCache often, but at the same time the ONLY reason I upgraded my membership was to use this feature. In fact, a friend of mine just got a GPS for Christmas and when he couldn't do the PocketQuery's I figured it was a "user" problem as PocketQuery is HOW I INTRODUCED HIM TO GEOCACHING!!!!

I don't GeoCache often, but at the same time the ONLY reason I upgraded my membership was to use this feature. In fact, a friend of mine just got a GPS for Christmas and when he couldn't do the PocketQuery's I figured it was a "user" problem as PocketQuery is HOW I INTRODUCED HIM TO GEOCACHING!!!!

There is no reason your friend cannot use Pocket Queries because of this change. Depending on the type of PDA they have, they have the choice of Exporting from GSAK in HTML format or .pdb format for Cachemate on the Palm or PPC.

If you have read even part of the last portion of this long thread, you will see that many people who used to use MobiPocket are much happier using Cachemate now. although the HTML Export also works for others whose PDAs or phones have browsers.

Edit to fix link

Edited by Miragee

There is no reason your friend cannot use Pocket Queries because of this change. Depending on the type of PDA they have, they have the choice of Exporting from GSAK in HTML format or .pdb format for Cachemate on the Palm or PPC.

If you have read even part of the last portion of this long thread, you will see that many people who used to use MobiPocket are much happier using Cachemate now. although the HTML Export also works for others whose PDAs or phones have browsers.

Edit to fix link

@ Miragee--

I agree with MrOvation, I am using CM but not by choice. The old way was infinitely easier. I don't need filters or huge amts of info. I liked being able to double-click on a file and have it automatically download to my PDA. No matter what everyone is saying, I prefer ease of use over bells and whistles. Just my 2cents worth. I'm still hoping that this option will become available once again.

Steve

@ Miragee--

I agree with MrOvation, I am using CM but not by choice. The old way was infinitely easier. I don't need filters or huge amts of info. I liked being able to double-click on a file and have it automatically download to my PDA. No matter what everyone is saying, I prefer ease of use over bells and whistles. Just my 2cents worth. I'm still hoping that this option will become available once again.

Steve

As I posted a number of times in this thread, if you don't want to use cachemate, there are a number of ways to generate HTML or mobi ebooks from the pocket query gpx file. GPX2HTML, GSAK, and GPSBabel can all do this; it's documented here: http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Mobipocket

Jam Clam,

Thanks for the tips and links. I will review. I must admit after the first 4 or 5 pages I skipped forward.

Having said that, I'm also a programmer with over 30 years of experience. Yeah, you read that right... I wrote my first programs in the 70's. So you can understand when someone states "we can't do that anymore" my ears start to wiggle, face turns red, eyeballs start spinning... you get the idea.. it's just my nature.

Oh... by the way... I am available for consulting to the Groundspeak people... I guess I should call them as I think they are down the street from me.

Anyway, I will find a way to do the pocket queries as you suggest... but I'm not going to like it, I'm going to whine about it, and probably be grumpy too. :D

But really.. thanks for the tips and links...

Our old Pocket Query Generator machine has finally kicked the bucket. We may be able to revive it from the dead but the new frankenputer will most likely not support MobiPocket eBook files.

Why? Well way back when we started building Pocket Queries we found MobiPocket - then a very small site - and started using their publishing software to make the files. Unfortunately since then they no longer release their publishing software so we can build the eBooks on the fly.

So now that old Bessy has finally died we have no ability to support the engine since it can't seem to work on other machines with the old publishing application. Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Granted, GPX is everything you need and there are various applications available for both PocketPC and Palm devices, so the point may be moot. However I know that many geocachers still use eBook files for their geocaching experience.

If you are an eBook user and wish to email MobiPocket, feel free. Also I would appreciate any help in directing eBook users to alternative ways of putting their GPX files in a good reader replacement for eBook.

Thanks!

In reading this thread about eBooks and PDF reader solutions, I can't help wonder why a plain old email solution wouldn't work? I've just started doing that in my own iPhone software for those rare times when you are out of even Edge connectvity range. Also, it provides a solution for iPod Touch users that obviously out of wi-fi range when in the field. It seems to me that many of the devices I see mentioned here must also have email. I'm sure the Blackberries and the like do and I'll wager the Palm's do even if it is only to "synch" email with the PC. Why not just decode the PQ's and email them to yourself/PDA and then take them with you into the field that way?

I'm focused on the iPhone and iPod Touch devices (because I don't have the others) but I've got to believe that email would provide a workable solution for these devices too. Now it turns out that the email clients in the iPhone and the iPod Touch will handle HTML mail and that means you can make cache entries and log info look very nice (the 320x480 full color screen isn't too shabby either) but even in mono on an old Palm you should be able to get the benefit of the writeup which is the main point being addressed with most of the paperless solutions.

All you really need is a piece of software that will parse your GPX XML files and perhaps allow you additionally to select which entries you want emailed to your geocaching email account. You then connect to that either directly (if your device works that way) or with your PC with a subsequent synch to your device and you should wind up with your cache info/logs etc. in your PDA inbox. Just navigate and read as usual.

It works for me.

-dB

www.ayefon.com - really CHEAP geocaching solutions for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

All you really need is a piece of software that will parse your GPX XML files and perhaps allow you additionally to select which entries you want emailed to your geocaching email account. You then connect to that either directly (if your device works that way) or with your PC with a subsequent synch to your device and you should wind up with your cache info/logs etc. in your PDA inbox. Just navigate and read as usual.

It works for me.

-dB

www.ayefon.com - really CHEAP geocaching solutions for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

How many caches do you email to yourself? Is this all one long email? Or are you sending each cache as a separate email? Though it seems to work for you, I'm having a hard time seeing this as a workable solution for most people.

I use a Nokia 770 Internet tablet and was quite happy with the ebook format.

GSAK will work but requires me to set up the stuff on a PC first and transfer the output.

I sent an email to cachemate asking about possible support to Nokia tablets today. I will see what happens :angry:

For a work around I just found out that there is a free version of Palm OS that runs in a virtual machine on the Nokia and I am going to try and run cachemate on it. If anyone else has a Nokia 770/800 and is interested I will post my results when I try it.

I had tried to use Nokia 770 and cachemate earlier with this GARNET VM (PALM OS) beta 1 version. It didn't work very well because it didn't support mathlib. So Cachemate lacked all the great search functions it has.

Well today everything changed for the best. Access provided free version of GARNET VM BETA 2 and it has mathlib support. Now it worked very nicely. Not only I could load thousands of caches. I could do all kinds of searches aswell. New full screen mode in Garnet VM BETA 2 is also a big improvement. Screen size is far more bigger in nokia 770 and other Nokia N800 and Nokia N810 than in any actual PALM device I know of. I will be starting to use cachemate like this again as we liked cachemate very much when we used Palm z22 until it broke down.

Well today everything changed for the best. Access provided free version of GARNET VM BETA 2 and it has mathlib support. Now it worked very nicely. Not only I could load thousands of caches. I could do all kinds of searches aswell. New full screen mode in Garnet VM BETA 2 is also a big improvement. Screen size is far more bigger in nokia 770 and other Nokia N800 and Nokia N810 than in any actual PALM device I know of. I will be starting to use cachemate like this again as we liked cachemate very much when we used Palm z22 until it broke down.

This is great news! I had gotten the notification of a new Garnet Version and downloaded it, but I have not installed it yet.