MobiPocket Support (or lack therof)

Jeremy

Boy... I still miss Mobi....

A year ago I traded in my Palm for a Motorola Q. Loved the Q and Mobi, but would be happy to use Cachemate (I had purchased it earlier with my Palm).... but from what I can see, it does not work with the Q... (for that matter, I can't get anything to work with it, without going thru two or three steps.

Any help is appreciated.

Without the cache info at my fingertips it really alot of the impromptu caching that I do impossible.

Jeffrey

P.S. This mobipocket issue sure seems like the parties are "having a failure to communicate"

I have given cachemate about a month now ... and it is just not working well for me ...

I really do miss mobi pockets guess I will have to keep looking for an alternative ... or worse on my budget figure out how to purchase a new pda ...

prolly not going to happen anytime soon ... thus I have resorted to going back to pen and paper as it ALWAYS works unless I get the info screwed up LOL !

Star

What problems are you having with Cachemate? It works very well for me, and the programs (GSAK and Cachemate) were brand new to me when I started with them. :surprise:

Well for one ... you have to pop the file into this other file then you have to slice and dice it then you have to send it to cachemate before you upload it .... its very cumbersome , and on top of it when you need to search for information on ones pda you come up short .. like in having the last 3 logs available to you on top of figuring out just what you need to click on to get any kind of information aside from the cache name.

I find it a bit difficult to use , and lacking information , on top of it now one has to have 2 programs to do what one would do with the file that gc.com used to provide for us.

Its like you have to stand on your head and tilt yer left foot this way , and presto you have acheived some sort of limited information .

Mobi for me and my clie was extremely easy to use . I could search by gc number or cache name . I knew where to find hints when I opened up a page for viewing it was all there the discription to the latest 3 logs .

I understand that change is sometimes difficult but geeeesh ... going paperless this way may not be so practical . You have to understand some of us are just tech. impaired ... and not tech geeks.

I was teaching my elderly neighbor how to use mobi which she was getting used to ... now this , I just dont think I can even begin to show her how cachemate with gsak would work her head would explode !

Star

Maybe it would be a good idea to take off the information about downloading in the ebook format as a member benefit. I just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to do that and had to come here to find out I can't. <_< I don't think it should be listed as a member benifit, that makes it look like it is still possible to do this, when you can't. :)

Our old Pocket Query Generator machine has finally kicked the bucket. We may be able to revive it from the dead but the new frankenputer will most likely not support MobiPocket eBook files.

Why? Well way back when we started building Pocket Queries we found MobiPocket - then a very small site - and started using their publishing software to make the files. Unfortunately since then they no longer release their publishing software so we can build the eBooks on the fly.

So now that old Bessy has finally died we have no ability to support the engine since it can't seem to work on other machines with the old publishing application. Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Granted, GPX is everything you need and there are various applications available for both PocketPC and Palm devices, so the point may be moot. However I know that many geocachers still use eBook files for their geocaching experience.

If you are an eBook user and wish to email MobiPocket, feel free. Also I would appreciate any help in directing eBook users to alternative ways of putting their GPX files in a good reader replacement for eBook.

Thanks!

I have given cachemate about a month now ... and it is just not working well for me ...

I really do miss mobi pockets guess I will have to keep looking for an alternative ... or worse on my budget figure out how to purchase a new pda ...

prolly not going to happen anytime soon ... thus I have resorted to going back to pen and paper as it ALWAYS works unless I get the info screwed up LOL !

Star

What problems are you having with Cachemate? It works very well for me, and the programs (GSAK and Cachemate) were brand new to me when I started with them. :huh:

Well for one ... you have to pop the file into this other file then you have to slice and dice it then you have to send it to cachemate before you upload it .... its very cumbersome , and on top of it when you need to search for information on ones pda you come up short .. like in having the last 3 logs available to you on top of figuring out just what you need to click on to get any kind of information aside from the cache name.

I find it a bit difficult to use , and lacking information , on top of it now one has to have 2 programs to do what one would do with the file that gc.com used to provide for us.

Its like you have to stand on your head and tilt yer left foot this way , and presto you have acheived some sort of limited information .

Mobi for me and my clie was extremely easy to use . I could search by gc number or cache name . I knew where to find hints when I opened up a page for viewing it was all there the discription to the latest 3 logs .

I understand that change is sometimes difficult but geeeesh ... going paperless this way may not be so practical . You have to understand some of us are just tech. impaired ... and not tech geeks.

I was teaching my elderly neighbor how to use mobi which she was getting used to ... now this , I just dont think I can even begin to show her how cachemate with gsak would work her head would explode !

Star

Cachemate gives you the past 5 logs, same as Mobi did, you just have to scroll down on the past logs page. Also gives you room to make your own notes, plus if needed the hint is right there, you don't have to search a separate appendix for it by waypoint name... May not be pretty, but is way more functional that Mobi ever was!

I still feel that I paid for something and not getting what I paid for - how can GC just do that.

A contract is normally where someone provides a service for renumeration. They say i get mobireader etc and it costs me so much. I pay and then they stop to provide?

I don't think it is fair and for all the money they make in a year - I would think that they are at least capable of getting something so elementary working again or at least put some effort into it.

But there seems to be a lack in effort and that is what is getting to me!

Star

What problems are you having with Cachemate? It works very well for me, and the programs (GSAK and Cachemate) were brand new to me when I started with them. :huh:

Star

Cachemate gives you the past 5 logs, same as Mobi did, you just have to scroll down on the past logs page. Also gives you room to make your own notes, plus if needed the hint is right there, you don't have to search a separate appendix for it by waypoint name... May not be pretty, but is way more functional that Mobi ever was!

I find it cumbersome in many ways ... beginning with all the conversion stuff you have to do just to get it to up load data to your pda ... thats the main complaint ... Mobi pockets was just a click and a hotsync and it was there ....

My personal opinion ... sometimes "upgrades" aren't really "upgrades" but more " downgrades" ....

I've been using my Blackberry and Mobipocket for paperless caching, and it's been great. So losing this option isn't great news. Is anyone aware of any offline cache log browsers for the Blackberry (not Palm or Pocket PC)?

Thanks

Hey hopvine, I am relatively new to GCing and BlackBerrying. How do I combine them? I found the Geocaching Wap-like site, but what else do you use.

By-the-way I have BB 8830 that I just got.

TIA!

I've been using my Blackberry and Mobipocket for paperless caching, and it's been great. So losing this option isn't great news. Is anyone aware of any offline cache log browsers for the Blackberry (not Palm or Pocket PC)?

Thanks

Hey hopvine, I am relatively new to GCing and BlackBerrying. How do I combine them? I found the Geocaching Wap-like site, but what else do you use.

By-the-way I have BB 8830 that I just got.

TIA!

The best (only) way to do offline paperless caching on a Blackberry is through Mobipocket Reader. You can generate a mobipocket ebook through a number of different methods as documented here: http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Mobipocket

Edited by Jam Clam

Solution / workaround. Someone else posted the below solution. I have no idea who it was. But it works great. I use windows mobile 5. There are a few extra steps, but it works good for paperless. Again, I didn't post below, but whoever did, thank you a ton!!!

That being said, here is the simplest free way to create mobi books to use as before. It requires one new program. I've listed the steps in gory detail; in reality it really is much easier than it looks.

1. Download and install GPSBabel from http://www.gpsbabel.org/ (This is a one-time step). Note the folder you've installed it to.

2. Save your pocket query gpx file to a folder on your computer (e.g, \caching)

3. Start the program GPSBabelGUI.exe from your GPSBabel folder.

4. Under input, select a source type of "GPX XML", and choose the gpx file you downloaded as input.

5. Under output, select an output type of HTML, and choose an output filename for where you want to save it (e.g, \caching\caches.html)

6. click 'lets go' and it will create your html file

7. Start up Mobipocket reader on your PC (the assumption is you had this installed already) and load the HTML file you just created. Mobipocket reader will convert the html file into an ebook, and you can transfer it to your PDA.

Our old Pocket Query Generator machine has finally kicked the bucket. We may be able to revive it from the dead but the new frankenputer will most likely not support MobiPocket eBook files.

Why? Well way back when we started building Pocket Queries we found MobiPocket - then a very small site - and started using their publishing software to make the files. Unfortunately since then they no longer release their publishing software so we can build the eBooks on the fly.

So now that old Bessy has finally died we have no ability to support the engine since it can't seem to work on other machines with the old publishing application. Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Granted, GPX is everything you need and there are various applications available for both PocketPC and Palm devices, so the point may be moot. However I know that many geocachers still use eBook files for their geocaching experience.

If you are an eBook user and wish to email MobiPocket, feel free. Also I would appreciate any help in directing eBook users to alternative ways of putting their GPX files in a good reader replacement for eBook.

Thanks!

Although there are other solutions, I have found that using GPX Spinner and Plucker are a good replacement for Mobipocket on a Palm device. Using GPX Spinner, you get the added benefit of a pretty impressive set of hyperlinked indexes to list your cache pages in different ways. It takes a little to bit of effort to get it set up, but once you have, loading the Palm is pretty quick and easy.

Here's a summary of what I do using a PC to load a Palm:

- Create a folder on your desktop (I name it to something like the area the gpx pertains to . . you'll open a file of this name on your Palm). Copy the gpx to that folder.

- When GPX Spinner installs, it creates an icon on your desktop. Open the folder with the gpx file in it and drag and drop the gpx file onto the Plucker icon. Plucker will run briefly in the background. When it's finished, it will place two new gpx files in the folder you created earlier. I haven't quite figured out the difference between the two Plucker gpx's; however, you can use either one of them or the original gpx with EasyGPS to load your GPS unit.

GPX Spinner also creates a folder named 'cache' inside the folder you created on your desktop. Inside of it are a number of htm files and accompanying graphics. These are htm files containing cache pages, hint pages, and a number of useful index pages. You can double click on the 'index.htm' file to view the various ways the pages have been indexed. Navigation is through hyperlinks.

- Plucker is a Palm document reader. It has an accompanying desktop application that will convert the htm files created by GPX Spinner into a format it can read. Start by installing the Plucker desktop, which I believe will allow you to install the Plucker reader on the Palm at the same time. To get ready for conversion, set Plucker's "Default Configuration for New Channels' as follows. Spidering - "Breadth First", Limits - Page Depth "3". Leave everything as default. Also, create a folder somewhere for Plucker's output. I created a folder aptly named 'Plucker'.

- Use the Plucker Desktop to convert the GPX Spinner output into a form it can be read on the Palm. Run the 'new channel' wizard. A channel is just a confusing name for the name of the set of files you're going to read on the Palm. Step through the wizard giving your new 'channel' a name (I use the same name as the folder I created on my desktop). Set the starting page to a local file and select the 'index.htm' file in the cache folder created by GPX Spinner in the folder you created on your desktop. Set the channel output to the 'Plucker' folder you created.

- Finish the wizard and hotsync. Now open Plucker on your Palm, and click on whatever you called your 'channel'. The equivalent of the 'index.htm' created by GPX Spinner is now on your Palm. You can navigate to your cache pages and view logs and the hint.

- This may seem complicated at first, but once it's set up, it will take about one minute to process a small gpx and have it loaded on your Palm.

Good luck!

New Jersey TJ

Solution / workaround. Someone else posted the below solution. I have no idea who it was. But it works great. I use windows mobile 5. There are a few extra steps, but it works good for paperless. Again, I didn't post below, but whoever did, thank you a ton!!!

That being said, here is the simplest free way to create mobi books to use as before. It requires one new program. I've listed the steps in gory detail; in reality it really is much easier than it looks.

1. Download and install GPSBabel from http://www.gpsbabel.org/ (This is a one-time step). Note the folder you've installed it to.

2. Save your pocket query gpx file to a folder on your computer (e.g, \caching)

3. Start the program GPSBabelGUI.exe from your GPSBabel folder.

4. Under input, select a source type of "GPX XML", and choose the gpx file you downloaded as input.

5. Under output, select an output type of HTML, and choose an output filename for where you want to save it (e.g, \caching\caches.html)

6. click 'lets go' and it will create your html file

7. Start up Mobipocket reader on your PC (the assumption is you had this installed already) and load the HTML file you just created. Mobipocket reader will convert the html file into an ebook, and you can transfer it to your PDA.

Thanks!

;) geojeffie,

Thanks for the info...your solution seems to be the best so far but I can't make it work. Let me know what I'm missing...I get everything right until I get to step 7. When I try to "Load" the HTML, Mobipocket acts like it's working but I can't find the ebook file it created. Mobipocket help is worthless. I try to find the "Convert" command under "File" but it doesn't appear. Please help. I feel like I'm so close.

;)NOT @ geojeffie---I hate that this is so freaking complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't the losers at Mobipocket and the losers at Geocaching.com figure this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask the same question I asked several posts ago......What could possibly be easier (about this mess) than double-clicking a .prc file and syncing; like the old way?

Ok, like may others I was very dissappointed to learn that Mobi would no longer be available to me. PQs are essential to my caching, especially when travelling. While Mobi had it's challenges, I knew how it worked and got what i needed from it. That said, and mainly on the advice of Miragee, tonight I downloaded Cachmate and GSAK. This is not a replacement for Mobi, IT IS COMPLETELY BETTER THAN MOBI COULD EVER BE!!! :huh: For those of you still in shock and dismayed re losing Mobi, don't be. This is a much, much better solution, and I'm already happy to have spent the $8. Wish I'd know about this sooner as I would have given up Mobi long ago.

We should also thank all of our fellow cachers who have help us find alternative options.

It's from my post on Sept 19, and it's also documented via a link in the post right above yours, where I include a link to the cacheopedia entry http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Mobipocket that explains this as well as two other ways to create mobipocket books. And this is now the fifth time in this thread I've posted that link. Come on people, please read the fine thread :laughing: - everything you need for paperless geocaching is documented at the cacheopedia pages http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Paperless_geocaching and http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Mobipocket . And since they are wiki pages, if you think they need updating, you can change them!

Why can't the losers at Mobipocket and the losers at Geocaching.com figure this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@sowelch, I'm sure you'll get a lot of help by name calling.....

@Groundspeak: Come on, would it really be that hard for you to update the page http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/ so that it no longer reads: "eBook - As a Premium Member you can also choose to have a list of waypoints compiled into MobiPocket eBook format."

It really is time for you to include some documentation about how your customers can geocache paperlessly, rather than forcing them to dig through this thread for documentation.

@Groundspeak: Come on, would it really be that hard for you to update the page http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/ so that it no longer reads: "eBook - As a Premium Member you can also choose to have a list of waypoints compiled into MobiPocket eBook format."

Hard to believe we are almost 3 months since this service was discontinued and the page STILL lists that as a PM benefit. Not like it requires a difficult change - just delete that HTML line....

@geojeffie - 1. Thanks for the help again. I'll look further and keep working on it. 2. Thanks for calling me out on the flame.

@Geocaching and Mobi - Sorry for the outburst; I'm usually not like that..I guess I let the frustration get the best of me.

That doesn't change the fact that I think this whole subject is something that should've been worked out a long time ago between the two parties before the abrupt cessation of the service. Now everyone who used the service is having to find workarounds that are more cumbersome and time-consuming. I've seen all the suggestions but none of them are as quick and easy as the old way; but we've all gone over this for the last three months. I'm still hopeful........

Edited by sowelch

I also used mobi because it was included with my downloads and was simple. Now that my premium membership is over in a couple weeks, is there any reason to renew? Can I get the same functionality from GSAK without paying for a premium membership? I hate to renew as the mobi was the main reason for the membership in the first place and if I can get the same without it why pay for something I no longer get? Or do i need to continue with the premium membership so I can still get the query results? Nothing like getting less for your money...Anyone know if a premium membership is necessary with GSAK?

I use a Nokia 770 Internet tablet and was quite happy with the ebook format.

GSAK will work but requires me to set up the stuff on a PC first and transfer the output.

I sent an email to cachemate asking about possible support to Nokia tablets today. I will see what happens :(

For a work around I just found out that there is a free version of Palm OS that runs in a virtual machine on the Nokia and I am going to try and run cachemate on it. If anyone else has a Nokia 770/800 and is interested I will post my results when I try it.

I also used mobi because it was included with my downloads and was simple. Now that my premium membership is over in a couple weeks, is there any reason to renew?

Don't worry - check out this page.... http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/ It says the Mobi files are still being supported.

Here's an accurate answer instead of a snarky answer.

GSAK is only as good as the data which you feed it. If you're a premium member, the GPX files from your pocket query contain the full cache description, ratings, hint, travel bug and geocoin inventory, the five most recent logs, plus any logs of your own. Then you can use GSAK to sort, filter, search and otherwise manipulate that cache information to suit your needs.

If you let your premium membership expire, you will lose access to GPX files. You can still use GSAK as a waypoint organizer/file converter/file transfer program, but the data will be limited to the LOC files available to regular members. From a LOC file, you'd only have the waypoint number, cache name, cache owner, cache coordinates and a link to the cache page. If you can cache without all the other information, like hints and the cache description, have at it. Or, start killing trees again.

I also used mobi because it was included with my downloads and was simple. Now that my premium membership is over in a couple weeks, is there any reason to renew? Can I get the same functionality from GSAK without paying for a premium membership? I hate to renew as the mobi was the main reason for the membership in the first place and if I can get the same without it why pay for something I no longer get? Or do i need to continue with the premium membership so I can still get the query results? Nothing like getting less for your money...Anyone know if a premium membership is necessary with GSAK?

What device were you using the mobi software with - there may be an alternative....

What about Adobe Acrobat eBooks? PDFs would be more universal.

I just joined and couldnt this have been posted on the membership page, so I would have known not to spend my $30. Its not a huge amount of money, but it is why I joined today. And PDF's are searchable. PDF's would do fine for me.

Z

This is a long thread, with several alternate suggestions that will work with your phone or PDA. What device do you have?

Becoming a Premium Member is still well worth the $30.00. Check out all the other benefits of becoming a Premium Member, plus you are supporting the Site.

This is a long thread, with several alternate suggestions that will work with your phone or PDA. What device do you have?

Becoming a Premium Member is still well worth the $30.00. Check out all the other benefits of becoming a Premium Member, plus you are supporting the Site.

Yes I know I dont mind supporting the site. I would have liked to have known. I Have a motorola Q9M with windows mobile version 6. So I can read a PDF doc, excel sheet, or Word Doc. Yesterday I just logged onto this site with my phone to read about the cache. But I would prefer a single download of multiple caches in one document.

I tried some of the ones listed, but found they seem to be for Palm.

Thanks

Z

You can get Cachemate for Windows Mobile here. There's a free demo with limited functionality, and the full product costs just eight bucks. I haven't used it (I use the PalmOS version) but I believe you just feed it your pocket query GPX file.
You can get Cachemate for Windows Mobile here. There's a free demo with limited functionality, and the full product costs just eight bucks. I haven't used it (I use the PalmOS version) but I believe you just feed it your pocket query GPX file.

I bought the program without trying it first! And it doesnt work with windows mobile. Only Pocket PC.

Thanks for the information though. I am sure I will find something that works.

Scott

Best I can see - it's still not the same even with GSAK. I exported he gpx file to html files but the hints are not there - just lists whether you've found and which others have found the cache. Did I do something wrong?

You can choose to place the hints with the cache descriptions instead of separately.

Tools

Options

HTML tab

Check the box "Show hints on same page rather than separate link"

edit:

OR

File

Export

HTML

Check the box next to "Hints on same page (not separate link)"

Edited by ScoutingWV

I've been trying to find a way to go paperless on my Blackberry. Mobipocket has a beta version of their reader which I downloaded and found to work well.

I took the GPX file from a PQ and exported it to an HTML file with GSAK placing the hints with the cache. I copied the HTML code into a text file and dropped that text file into DocReader. This created a PDB file that I can place on my Blackberry and open with Mobipocket Reader.

Now I just need to script it ...

OK,

I am using GSAK and I export HTML to my verizon Motorola Q9M. It is awesome and maked the Premium membership worth it. GSAK is a little tricky if your not a computer geek. I am a geek and found it a little tricky. But I have found that a lot of times the most useful software is not user freindly until you get to know it. Then you fall in love!

I may have stumbled on a new angle for BlackBerry users to explore. It's slightly involved, and needs some refining, but it may interest some, and those some may know more than me in areas that would improve it...

GPX spinner does a beautiful job of outputting the GPX file in a very readable and usable format, in HTML. The problem with MobiPocket is that it will only import one HTML file at a time, and it seems to be the only reader for BlackBerry that is worth its salt. GPX Spinner, of course, exports a folder full of HTML and GIF files, rather than a single HTML file.

I've approached it from the Windows Help File angle: Mobi Reader (NOTE: NOT Mobi Creator), as it happens, will import a CHM file (a windows compiled HTML help file). And you can use the freely available Microsoft HTML Help Workshop software to compile a single CHM file out of the folder that GPX Spinner spits out. You just create a new project, point it at the folder that GPX Spinner created, set index.html as the starting page, and compile. Done.

However, this is where my limited expertise needs some help from someone who is proficient (or who has the ability to become proficient) in the use of the Help Workshop software: HTML Help Workshop will spit out a CHM file that works fine if you just double-click it (it opens in windows help file mode). This in itself may be a nice solution for laptop-toting cachers. However, Mobipocket, during its import of a CHM file, requires the CHM file to have a Table of Contents. Which you can set up in Help Workshop. But I'm stuffed if I can work out exactly how. I've fiddled around, and added one or two pages to the Table of Contents, and when I import into MobiPocket Reader, those pages come out fine and look pretty good on the Blackberry (images and all), but only those pages that I've added to the TOC are there. There must be a quick way to spawn a TOC for the whole set of HTML files by drawing on the HTML links that GPX spinner so nicely produces. Help, somebody?

Another angle I've looked at is using a piece of software called CHM Magic, which converts the CHM file (with no TOC required) into a VERY NICE PDF document, all links and images intact. I took this approach because Mobi also imports PDFs. But then Mobi completely ballses it up, formatting goes out the window, links become inaccurate, and images look [potty language euphemism deleted by moderator]. (Even exporting the resulting PDF to Adobe Reader for Palm OS is no good, because hyperlinks are not maintained, and a static document results.)

So, if anyone has a bent towards obscure and somewhat poorly documented Microsoft software, and feels they could work out the TOC thing, I'd love to hear from you, and we could have something for desperate "I don't care, I'll do anything! ANYTHING!" BlackBerry users who don't mind a bit of messing around with multiple formats.

Peace

Shagz

Edited by Keystone

I've been trying to find a way to go paperless on my Blackberry. Mobipocket has a beta version of their reader which I downloaded and found to work well.

I took the GPX file from a PQ and exported it to an HTML file with GSAK placing the hints with the cache. I copied the HTML code into a text file and dropped that text file into DocReader. This created a PDB file that I can place on my Blackberry and open with Mobipocket Reader.

Now I just need to script it ...

No need to write your own script; there's already a macro for GSAK. See this post: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6132

I'm just a bit curious as to why GC.com can't make a simple txt or pdf file format for us? I don't believe that it would be that difficult for them to create either of those two formats for us to use. I don't know just my two cents worth.

Phil

I am not sure, but I can tell you that GSAK can take your pocket query and do to it just about anything you like. I have mine exported into HTML and my hone reads it very nicely.

I just checked and GSAK will put your pocket query into text for you. It will also put it into almost any mapping progam. It is basically GPS babble that works you pocket queries. I am curious what device you are using. Because if you dont support HTML which is the prettiest and easiest I have tried.

GSAK will create a cachemate file to. And cachemate just launched a beta version for smart phones. But if you have a smart phone I suggest the HTML.

It opens in your browser and you can search just like your on the internet with a complete set of web pages for every cache, including images. And it works with out a cell signal because its stored. I just update mine about once a week for all my caches. And I created a quick launch so I can access from my start menu.

This will work with any device that has a browser. A palm device, pocket PC, or Windows Mobile. Or your laptop. Or if you have a cell phone that can surf the internet and has a memory chip that you can access it will work too.

If you need help let me know.

Z

I was using my zire 72, but if they want I could cut down several trees and go back to paper caching. :D:D I also have just gotten GSAK. How hard is it to convert that to a palm os system?

Easy - get cachemate - $8 - and have GSAK output to a PDB file - synch up and off you go with pages that look similar to the online ones.

This may not be the right forum for this question but maybe somebody can send me somewhere to get the info I need. My husband got me a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet for Christmas with the hopes I can go paperless while geocaching. It will not let me log in at Geocaching.com. Is there some kind of special software I need to use it on the site?

I hope to at least be able to download PDF files of the caches we're searching for, but would like to have full use of the wireless internet capabilities. Would becoming a Premium Member take care of the problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Barb

Edited by stlbarb

This may not be the right forum for this question but maybe somebody can send me somewhere to get the info I need. My husband got me a Nokia N800 Internet Tablet for Christmas with the hopes I can go paperless while geocaching. It will not let me log in at Geocaching.com. Is there some kind of special software I need to use it on the site?

I hope to at least be able to download PDF files of the caches we're searching for, but would like to have full use of the wireless internet capabilities. Would becoming a Premium Member take care of the problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Barb

I have Nokia Internet tablet 770 (older version of N800). At first i started using prc (mobipocket) files in that with FBREADER, worked quite good but found out that there were better options. Nowadays I use tablet as my travelling logging device on trips using geocaching.com website. Geocaching.com works after I have disabled java from tablets internet setting. Remember to put x in remember me ..place in a log in page. After that you can log in every time. If not do this again. Then when you are inside enable java again and geocaching.com should work.

Other way of using tablet paperless is making html exports from gpx files. From that part premium membership is useful. Html exports can be done by GSAK or that other Plucker. This way you don't need any internet connection and it is quite easy to do. Just copy all exported htmls to your tablets memory card and you are ready to go. It's guite useful to have startingpage bookmarked.

Still nowadays we prefer using only my mobilephone with smartgpx application as my mobile geocache database with thousands of caches downloaded with opera mini internet connection. My mobilephone is quite rugged and solid so little moist and dirt wouldn't harm it. Tablet is still much better when logging your finds with better "keyboard" it has.

Edited by small oaks

You can also download virtual Palm OS for the Nokia.

Palm for Nokia link

I have installed it and it works okay on the 770. I then installed CacheMate and it runs, but I have never gotten around to trying it yet.

CacheMate Link

I have used GSAK to convert to html and copied them to the Nokia card for viewing while caching and that works pretty well. Added bonus if you find an open WiFi and can log :)

Edited by grimp

So if I am a complete newb to this and looking at using a Treo 650 to do paperless caches.... what is the simplest and cheapest way for me to do this and get paperless going?

I am semi techy so let me know...

Cujo31

Edited by Cujo31

Well, I've read the entire thread on this and I guess I won't be using my Palm for awhile and will just return to using my GPS to locate caches. I was a Mobi user and, as some have said, it was so easy I'd do downloads and do quick geocaches for a spot of afternoon entertainment. I've looked at the other programs and the 8 bucks doesn't bother me (especially since the Cdn dollar is almost par) but having to sit down and not only learn a new program but jump through a number of hoops to get it on my Palm isn't worth it at this time.

As some said, to get full value on the programs you have to be a bit of a tech geek. If you love this kind of high tech wizardry, enjoy it but I enjoy solving problems in other areas and like to do my geocaching with easy software that allows me to spend my sweat finding the caches, not programing something to my palm.

I certainly don't get mad at Mobipocket or Groundspeak over this - I'll let them get ulcers fighting each other but, you'd think by now, someone would have come up with something similar that Groundspeak could use (and I'll pay 8 bucks for it) that doesn't require me to exercise my tech muscles more than Mobi did to put the file on my Palm. ( I still remember how easy it was - no sweat, no swearing and no wearing out my mouse finger). I don't need a program with all the bells and whistles that will let me manipulate my data to the nth degree after multiple conversions, downloads and whatever it takes to go through multiple programs. A nice searchable ebook is fine thank you. Hmmm, kind of like Mobi.

I'm glad the tech geeks have their programs to satisfy that inner need of solving complexity but some of us like a more easier life that allows us to reduce stress, get physical exercise and enjoy a few moments of enjoying the outdoors, without taking hours to prepare learning dual programs. I have other areas in which to stretch my mind and enjoy stress and I get paid to do that.

For what it's worth.... Happy Geocaching all, no matter what you use to get the enjoyment.

Edited by LLB Quest'ers