MobiPocket Support (or lack therof)

Jeremy

:ph34r:

Groundspeak removed Mobipocket years ago from the page which described the current premium member features and from the subscription page. Yes, there's one line mentioning Mobi on the "software downloads" page. But the banner ads, promotional pages and forum buzz all tout GPX files as the tool of choice for paperless caching. I must have missed all the hoopla where Mobipocket was being promoted as the reason for buying a premium membership. :blink:

As former Mobipocket users continue to convert to one of the modern methods for paperless caching, I sincerely hope that they will be happier with the greater flexibility they'll discover. There are plenty of folks ready and willing to help with advice on paperless caching alternatives.

In one of my earlier posts I stated that the pocket queries were the PRIMARY reason I subscribe. I cannot think of another reason that I continue to be a Premium Member. I use the bookmark feature, sure, but IT'S TO MAKE POCKET QUERIES!

Oh, yes, and I get to find one or two 'subscriber only' caches in my area. STILL NOT 30 BUCKS WORTH.

And would you guys stop ranting about Mobipocket?!? It worked! That's all that counts for me and my BlackBerry! I don't want to be a computer genius. I don't want to be a PDA wizard. I WANT TO GEOCACHE! I received Mobipocket files in my email, DL'd to my BlackBerry and I was out the door!

Now, if you "plenty of folks ready and willing to help with advice on paperless caching alternatives" have a more "modern method for paperless caching" for the BLACKBERRY, please fill in the following blank. “A better program, that I've tried and it works, for paperless caching for the BlackBerry is: __________________________ .” Otherwise, CLAM UP!

And speaking of clamming up, is any one else bothered by the deafening silence from the Groundspeak staff?!? Jeremy, in his first email, basically said there is a problem...it belongs to those guys over there...and slammed the door shut on the conversation. Hey! Stop being busy carrying our checks to the bank and start working on the problem at hand here! THAT IS why I pay MY $30 per year.!

Not to try and minimize the problem but...

A good used Palm device on ebay can be had for around $25 plus $8 for cachemate is really a very cheap option to carry details with you. It works better than the mobireader ever did and won't be missed very mush if it falls in the mud while out on the trail.

I would direct a bit more anger at mobi for not supporting software and tools they created and sold.

:ph34r:

Now, if you "plenty of folks ready and willing to help with advice on paperless caching alternatives" have a more "modern method for paperless caching" for the BLACKBERRY, please fill in the following blank. “A better program, that I've tried and it works, for paperless caching for the BlackBerry is: __________________________ .” Otherwise, CLAM UP!

I've since found a slight revision in my procedure to make your own Mobibooks for your Blackberry. You and I share the same fate, Blackberry geocachers.

1) Download and Install the MobiPocket Creator from http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/...amp;Language=EN

2) Download GPX2HTML (thanks to FizzyMagic) at http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/gpx2html/gpx2html.exe

3) Obtain your ######.GPX file from gc.com from your email

4) Create a folder on your desktop, name it "Caching" (or anything you like at this point) and copy the ######.GPX file and gpx2html.exe into the folder. Double-click on the folder and then double-click on gpx2html.exe. A DOS box will appear with your caches being displayed as it processes. When it's done, the DOS CMD window will automatically close itself. Takes seconds for a GPX file of say 100 caches.

5) Open Mobipocket Creator Home Edition, create a new Blank Publication, give it a name, double-click on the "Caching" folder, then double-click on the "HTML" folder, highlight all the index.html related files (they are all near each other) and drag them into the Mobipocket Creator programs "Publication Files" window and drop them there. Then back in the Windows Explorer window, click on Edit, then click "Invert Selection" and then drag and drop the rest of the files into Mobipocket Creator.

6) Click Build, your ebook will be built for you and placed in your Mobipocket Reader program.

7) Delete the "Caching" folder, or at least empty out caches.loc and HTML folder, and the original gc.com GPX file in there if you have another GPX file to process.

8) Start Blackberry Desktop Manager, plug in your Blackberry, and Mobi will copy your new publication to your Blackberry.

9) Go outside and cache your heart out.

HTH, it's a better solution than GPXSpinner and doesn't require you to hunt-and-peck for tidy.exe.

Edited by bluedepth

A good used Palm device on ebay can be had for around $25 plus $8 for cachemate is really a very cheap option to carry details with you. It works better than the mobireader ever did and won't be missed very mush if it falls in the mud while out on the trail.

I would direct a bit more anger at mobi for not supporting software and tools they created and sold.

Thanks, StarBrand, for your helpful hints but :blink:,

1, I ALREADY have a BlackBerry. I don't have any more room on my belt for another device. :ph34r:

2. I use MobiPocket and am satified. It gives me the information I need, when I need it. :lol:

3. I ALREADY pay $30 per year to Groundspeak, and NOW receive less services and more excuses. :ph34r:

Sorry, but my anger is at Groundspeak. According to the posts above, they apparently were aware of the situation a year ago and did nothing to correct it except to say, "Oh well, we're not gonna offer it anymore"...and that was after it was discontinued. :D It's my opinion that they are using MobiPocket as an easy excuse instead of finding a new and better solution. It's much easier to just point fingers and do NOTHING. :ph34r:

I use a BlackBerry and decided to play with Mobipocket Creator a little. This is the procedure I came up with. It makes a nice clickable Table of Contents, including the hint.

Mobipocket Creator Instructions

1. Start by Importing the GPX file. ‘Import From Existing File’ > ‘HTML document’.

2. Click ‘Browse’. Select ‘Files of type:’ > ‘All files (*.*)’ and Browse to the .gpx file. Click ‘Open’.

3. Click ‘Import’.

4. Click on the file. Select ‘Edit with HTML editor’.

5. Type a <BODY> tag (I put just before first cache). Click ‘File’, ‘Save’.

6. Select a Cover Image. I took a ‘Groundspeak Good(y)’ and added some text.

7. Create the Table of Contents. Click ‘Add a Table of Contents’. Enter the Tag names for the three Levels as follows:

First. name

Second. desc

Third. Groundspeak:encoded_hints

This gets you the Waypoint Name (GCXXXX), Description and Hint. Click ’Update’. Click on the file and then click ‘Preview with Web Browser’ to view.

8. Click ‘Metadata’ and enter a Title and Author and choose a Main subject. Click ‘Update’.

9. Click the ‘Build’ icon and then the ‘Build’ button.

10. Click ‘OK’ to Preview.

11. Locate the .prc file. It should be in My Documents\My Publications in a folder with the original .gpx number. Rename the file to reflect what it is and then copy to your PDA.

Sorry, but my anger is at Groundspeak. According to the posts above, they apparently were aware of the situation a year ago and did nothing to correct it except to say, "Oh well, we're not gonna offer it anymore"...and that was after it was discontinued. :ph34r: It's my opinion that they are using MobiPocket as an easy excuse instead of finding a new and better solution. It's much easier to just point fingers and do NOTHING. :blink:

No, what Jeremy said was:

Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Just setting the record straight.

I think Jeremy may be doing some traveling this week, so be patient with his responses.

Sorry, but my anger is at Groundspeak. According to the posts above, they apparently were aware of the situation a year ago and did nothing to correct it except to say, "Oh well, we're not gonna offer it anymore"...and that was after it was discontinued. :o It's my opinion that they are using MobiPocket as an easy excuse instead of finding a new and better solution. It's much easier to just point fingers and do NOTHING. :(

No, what Jeremy said was:

Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Just setting the record straight.

Thanks, mtn-man, for helping me point out the "excuse instead of finding a new and better solution". :rolleyes:

The company has been making headlines for going offline for nine days, from 15 August 2007 until 24 August 2007, allegedly 'for maintenance' purposes, without informing either its customers or its content partners about the cause of the problem, or the expected duration of the outage while it was going on.

:rolleyes::o Imagine if the GC.com web site was suddenly gone for a week. I remember how it was when the forums went down as they switched. I could not imagine the site just suddenly blinking off for a week.

Here is a link to the Mobi forums. Only 35 posts regarding the issue there.

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/index.php

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/search.php...9a053d67e718027

The funniest thing... I am already a registered user of that forum. Been there. Will be posting tonight. I hope many of you will join me there and maybe they will help us out.

Edited to add... I already posted, heh. Maybe with enough encouragement, they will provide a "new and better solution".

Edited by mtn-man

This isn't a fix - but my temporary replacement.... I use the T-Mobile Dash (Windows Mobile 6) , and *had* used MobiPocket... But for now, I'm using GeoToad to create my query and save it as a comma-delimited (.csv) file.. Then I import to an Excel Spreadsheet, rearrange my columns so I see the GC#### number first, then save.. and email to my Dash.. Open, and search with Excel on the Dash. Pain in the rear process, and some data doesn't get there that had been in the MobiPocket files, but it gets the job done for the most part.

ShadowHawk - Who is definitely missing the MobiPocket files!!!

This isn't a fix - but my temporary replacement.... I use the T-Mobile Dash (Windows Mobile 6) , and *had* used MobiPocket... But for now, I'm using GeoToad to create my query and save it as a comma-delimited (.csv) file.. Then I import to an Excel Spreadsheet, rearrange my columns so I see the GC#### number first, then save.. and email to my Dash.. Open, and search with Excel on the Dash. Pain in the rear process, and some data doesn't get there that had been in the MobiPocket files, but it gets the job done for the most part.

ShadowHawk - Who is definitely missing the MobiPocket files!!!

Have you tried cachemate for the PPC?? I seem to recall at least 1 other user with that and WM 6.xx

:rolleyes:

And would you guys stop ranting about Mobipocket?!? It worked! That's all that counts for me and my BlackBerry! I don't want to be a computer genius. I don't want to be a PDA wizard. I WANT TO GEOCACHE! I received Mobipocket files in my email, DL'd to my BlackBerry and I was out the door!

And speaking of clamming up, is any one else bothered by the deafening silence from the Groundspeak staff?!? Jeremy, in his first email, basically said there is a problem...it belongs to those guys over there...and slammed the door shut on the conversation. Hey! Stop being busy carrying our checks to the bank and start working on the problem at hand here! THAT IS why I pay MY $30 per year.!

x2 !!!

I dont want to file drop here, DOS this or pay for another program (Cachemate) I paid 30 bucks to GC, downloaded my *free* mobipocket software and put my PDA in the cradle. Wham! I had my pocket queries put in a PDA by the time it took me to go get a cup of coffee (office environment.

If you cant make that happen again without me having to go here and there and all over.... then forget it. I will drop my subscriber status and go back to caching once or twice a blue moon and not bother bringing others into it.

Send my file in a PDA, word doc, excell doc that I can drop in my PDA quick and fast and get on with my business.

Oh yeah...

Please.....

:o

Have you tried cachemate for the PPC?? I seem to recall at least 1 other user with that and WM 6.xx

Thanks for the try on that... I just confirmed - CacheMate doesn't run on the Smartphone WM6 platform yet... PocketPC - yes.. but *not* on the SmartPhone version of WM6.

Thanks,

ShadowHawk

Edited by ShadowHawk

Thanks for the try on that... I just confirmed - CacheMate doesn't run on the Smartphone WM6 platform yet... PocketPC - yes.. but *not* on the SmartPhone version of WM6.

Thanks,

ShadowHawk

Well, great... I upgrade to a SmartPhone to reduce my load (shelved the Palm in favor of the new phone (one less thing to carry) and it does not look like its going to work out in my favor. Mobi works great on the phone and with the WAP site (love it), but now... hmmm?!!?

What does work on a SmartPhone with Windows Mobile version 6 (and is not to cause me an hour to get out the door and cost me an additional fee)?

As an idea for Groundspeak, would collaberating with a GPX software provider to provide a universal, get the 'mostest' out of the GPX file be an alternative to not have to resurrect the dead server and to not have to hassle with an unresponsive software vendor (Mobi)? Then, as part of the 30 bucks I kick out each year I get to use a sanctioned, reliable piece of hand-held software that will get me the most out of a GPX.

Boy, no one from here has posted in the Mobi forums after I gave the links?

If you want your Mobi ebook files back, you need to be posting over there, not here. I will continue to bump the topics over there. Help would be appreciated.

I have done so and am looking for direct contact information. Maybe we can receive some sympathy with a direct call or email (maybe).

The stinker is that they don't have an email address on the site. When you click the "contact us" link on the home page and go to their contact page, they direct you to their forums. All they list for for a phone number is a fax number -- in France. Since they are owned by Amazon, I don't know if it would help to contact them.

The stinker is that they don't have an email address on the site. When you click the "contact us" link on the home page and go to their contact page, they direct you to their forums. All they list for for a phone number is a fax number -- in France. Since they are owned by Amazon, I don't know if it would help to contact them.

I notice that too. If anyone was to contact Amazon, I would think that it should be someone more affilliated with Groundspeak than I. AND, since Amazon is a larger business and more business to lose, maybe they would be more cooperative. Hmmm... maybe a free plug for them will get them to get this cleared up.

Nobody can hide on the Internet...

inetnum: 84.14.135.240 - 84.14.135.247

netname: FR-COLT-MOBIPOCKET-COM

descr: MOBIPOCKET COM

admin-c: MG10158-RIPE

tech-c: MG10158-RIPE

mnt-by: COLT-FR-MNT

source: RIPE # Filtered

person: MARTIN GORNER

address: MOBIPOCKET COM

phone: +33 155198726

nic-hdl: MG10158-RIPE

% Information related to '84.14.0.0/16AS8220'

route: 84.14.0.0/16

descr: FR-COLT-INTERNET-84-14

origin: AS8220

remarks: For any complaint, please mail to "abuse@fr.colt.net"

mnt-by: IMAGINET-NOC-MNT

Mr. Gordner might have an answer. :rolleyes:

I like BluDepth's GPX3HTML gpx / html / prc method, but the only result I am able to get is a file titled "index" in Mobireader. Is it possible to change this name so I can have more than one 'group' of caches in there?

When you first construct the Mobibook in the Creator program it asks you the name of the publication you want to build. I name mine "Kzoo caches" or "Kzoo Travelbugs", et al... If you don't give it a name I think it elects the first file it sees which if you follow my instructions closely will be index.html, so it inherits that name and gives you a headache.

How many people do we see in the forums here that have clicked "contact us" on this very site and - if they get an answer at atll, get redirected back to these forums? More than a few. I'm certainly not saying that Mobi is defensible here, but tread lightly.

Oh, and in the name of being helpful to users of Mac, Windows, Linux or any PDA-like substance that can read .txt or HTML that are mourning Mobi, GPSBabel can convert PQs to HTML., Docbook, and text. It's not as convenient as getting Mobi straight from this site, but it's another option.

(And if you click "get support" for GPSBabel, you go to a mailing list without pretense of personal support., even though most questions are answered by the developers within a day or so. :-)

After the initial shock and anger of not being able to use the familiar easy way wore off and I started looking around at the options, I have to say, CacheMate looks like the winner for me! Way easier to find a cache quickly, if you want it the hint is right there rather than have to hunt through the appendix. Even though I have posted my comments with MobiPocket, I plan to move on and keep caching!

I have to voice my dissapointment with the members complaining that their $30 Premium Membership is now a waste.... You still have the benefit of pocket queries... and to me, for less than the price of one night at the movies, you get a full year of caching, and are helping to promote and support the sport we love. Not a waste of money to me at all! :rolleyes:

Now that Mobipocket and Geocaching.com are no longer working together, I have had to search for alternatives, and much to my delight I have found that there are many alternatives! Until now I had not realized that ALL of the information you need is located in the GPX file itself! How was I to know? My GPS only gives so many characters of the title, usually not enough to give you the full name of the person that placed the cache.

So knowing that the GPX contains everything for every cache, including hints and the last several logs, I searched, and found an excellent FREE program out there for PocketPCs named GPXView!

Here is a link to the page:

http://strandberg.org/gpxview/

He's taking donations through PayPal, so if you love this program show the author how much!

Has anyone looked at the size of your pocket queries since they stopped adding the ebook format? They are tiny files compared to what they were previously. Groundspeak should be able to cut the price of premium memberships in half with all of the savings.

I really miss the ebook format, but I will find a way.

I have a treo 650, and it seems cachemate is the program of choice for palm users. Any other suggestions, or is it the best one?

Thanks,

Mark

Has anyone looked at the size of your pocket queries since they stopped adding the ebook format? They are tiny files compared to what they were previously. Groundspeak should be able to cut the price of premium memberships in half with all of the savings.

I really miss the ebook format, but I will find a way.

I have a treo 650, and it seems cachemate is the program of choice for palm users. Any other suggestions, or is it the best one?

Thanks,

Mark

I have used Cachemate on my Palm M500 for more than 2 1/2 years. You will love that little program after struggling with MobiPocket and will probably be sad you didn't find Cachemate much earlier. It is the best $8.00 I've ever spent on a program.

I went ahead and purchased cachemate. I agree it is a bargain at $8.00. They even have a conversion program that converts the gpx file into a palm format. I am still learning how to use it, but the bottom line is it works. mobi was just what I was used to, but it was frustrating to use at times.

Mark

This has all been very frustrating. The day I beacme a member I was able to load and use MobiPocket right away. I have not been able to find any other combinations of software that I could use with my Palm & Mac. I have spent hours trying with no success. What are other Mac & Palm users using to load all the important info on there Palm????

The loss of Mobipocket finally gave me a reason to purchase and download Cachemate. After playing with it for about 1 hour, I figured out how to use it much better than Mobipocket. I hope Groundspeak can find a similar solution for all other members that use Mac's, Blackberries and pocket pc's.

I guess I've never liked Mobipocket, but I used it because it was easy. I'd get my query. I'd use the GPX file load load my GPS, and the PRC could be installed on my Palm m515. There were problems with characters and other things not showing up right, but it was still usable.

Now that it's gone I've looked into alternatives. Even though some work better, it's a hassle, and I could see where computer non-literate types would easily get confused or give up. My girlfriend could take the PRC and load it on the Palm with no problem. However, she's definitely not going to want to hassle with conversions and multiple steps.

So far I tried Cachemate, which I wasn't very pleased with, and GSAK+Plucker.

Using Plucker is somewhat of a pain since you also need to convert the GPX file into HTML, and I used GSAK for this. I suppose the extra couple of steps might be worth it since the output looks better on the Palm than the Mobipocket, but like I said earlier, many people won't want the hassle.

I liked MobiPocket for the ease of use as well. I sympathize with everyone who is having a lot of issues with this, but because I happen to use a Pocket PC, the solutions posted here and in other forums work very well.

I have installed both GPSView and GPSSonar, and both work great! My favorite is GPSSonar, because it shows me which caches I have found, let's me add notes "in the field" as reminders, and has other useful columns as well.

MobiPocket (and E-books in general) was never an optimal solution for me. I used it, it was simple, but not as fast as convenient as the alternatives. Actually, I am glad this has made me look for other solutions!

Hopefully, the other platform users will find better ways as well, and hopefully in the very near future.

Jeremy, I paid for premium membership just for the pocket queries as well, but in no way blame Geocaching.com for Mobi's lack of support. Thanks for all you and your staff do! :)

MobiPocket is one of the few PDA apps that works well on a Motorola Q because it does NOT assume you have a pointing device.

The latest version of Mobipocket takes in PDFs on the desktop side and happily makes PRCs from them, which can then go to the phone.

I would be more than happy to deal with the extra step of converting the PDFs. But I

NEED

MY

BOOKS!

:)

If you're using GSAK.. I've written a macro that will export your caches to a mobi pocket file. Ithink its actually better then the original PRC file! (but hey... that's me!) Check it out here and shoot me some feedback!

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6132

Oh. man!!! I read through the thread and missed the very last one... Sorry about the dupplicate post!!

Edited by stipman

If you're using GSAK.. I've written a macro that will export your caches to a mobi pocket file. Ithink its actually better then the original PRC file! (but hey... that's me!) Check it out here and shoot me some feedback!

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6132

Oh. man!!! I read through the thread and missed the very last one... Sorry about the dupplicate post!!

I am using Mobi on my Palm device so was hoping this would work. I ran this and ended up with an .opf file rather than a .prc. Did I do something wrong or is that a BB thing?

I am using Mobi on my Palm device so was hoping this would work. I ran this and ended up with an .opf file rather than a .prc. Did I do something wrong or is that a BB thing?

The end result should create a .mobi file. If you wound up with a .opf file the macro ended before it was complete

The end result should create a .mobi file. If you wound up with a .opf file the macro ended before it was complete

Yes - I am getting this error: Error in Macro Line 101: FILEREAD File="$filDirList" ERROR=file not found

That's happening to me, too. I was hoping I could use the macro to generate a file for my Palm PDA, so I decided to try it. Every time I run the macro, it terminates with this error.

--Larry

P.S. I mostly rely on GSAK + CacheMate, but it is nice to also have the MobiPocket version of the information available.

Edit to add that I've posted this information on the GSAK message board so, hopefully, the macro's author can look into it.

Edited by larryc43230

Yes - I am getting this error: Error in Macro Line 101: FILEREAD File="$filDirList" ERROR=file not found

That's happening to me, too. I was hoping I could use the macro to generate a file for my Palm PDA, so I decided to try it. Every time I run the macro, it terminates with this error.

--Larry

P.S. I mostly rely on GSAK + CacheMate, but it is nice to also have the MobiPocket version of the information available.

I saw another post on the GSAK forum that mentions a problem with security writing to certain folders. I re-tried this and sent the file to the C:/mobigen directory. SUCCESS! This is a pretty good substitute for GC's failure!

I saw another post on the GSAK forum that mentions a problem with security writing to certain folders. I re-tried this and sent the file to the C:/mobigen directory. SUCCESS! This is a pretty good substitute for GC's failure!

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my case it didn't help. Even when I point the output to c:\mobigen, I get the same error message.

--Larry

Thanks for the suggestion, but in my case it didn't help. Even when I point the output to c:\mobigen, I get the same error message.

--Larry

I've continued to experiment with this macro, and I finally got it to work. In order for the macro to complete successfully, neither the file name to be generated nor the path to the destination could include any spaces. I named the file NotFound and pointed the output to c:\mobigen; the macro completed and I got the MobiPocket file I was hoping for.

--Larry

I have updated the macro to handle spaces in the path name. It will also now allow spaces in the ebook filename (actually it changes spaces to underscores)

Thanks to everyone who figured out the issue with spaces!

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry36043

Works as advertised now! I just tested the macro using the caches from my "My Finds" pocket query, which never has offered an eBook file as an option. For the first time, I can get information on caches I've found using MobiPocket on my PDA. Very cool!

--Larry