MobiPocket Support (or lack therof)

Jeremy

Our old Pocket Query Generator machine has finally kicked the bucket. We may be able to revive it from the dead but the new frankenputer will most likely not support MobiPocket eBook files.

Why? Well way back when we started building Pocket Queries we found MobiPocket - then a very small site - and started using their publishing software to make the files. Unfortunately since then they no longer release their publishing software so we can build the eBooks on the fly.

So now that old Bessy has finally died we have no ability to support the engine since it can't seem to work on other machines with the old publishing application. Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Granted, GPX is everything you need and there are various applications available for both PocketPC and Palm devices, so the point may be moot. However I know that many geocachers still use eBook files for their geocaching experience.

If you are an eBook user and wish to email MobiPocket, feel free. Also I would appreciate any help in directing eBook users to alternative ways of putting their GPX files in a good reader replacement for eBook.

Thanks!

Our old Pocket Query Generator machine has finally kicked the bucket. We may be able to revive it from the dead but the new frankenputer will most likely not support MobiPocket eBook files.

Why? Well way back when we started building Pocket Queries we found MobiPocket - then a very small site - and started using their publishing software to make the files. Unfortunately since then they no longer release their publishing software so we can build the eBooks on the fly.

So now that old Bessy has finally died we have no ability to support the engine since it can't seem to work on other machines with the old publishing application. Over the years I have posted in MobiPocket's forums and tried to find an email address for their support and came up empty or they simply state that they no longer provide the components I need to build the eBook files.

Granted, GPX is everything you need and there are various applications available for both PocketPC and Palm devices, so the point may be moot. However I know that many geocachers still use eBook files for their geocaching experience.

If you are an eBook user and wish to email MobiPocket, feel free. Also I would appreciate any help in directing eBook users to alternative ways of putting their GPX files in a good reader replacement for eBook.

Thanks!

No big loss on not using MobiPocket. Most of the guys I know tried it, myself included, and didn't like it. I switched to GpxView and found it does most everything I want it to do. It's a free program and all you do is sync the GPX file to your pda.

I've been using a Symbian phone, and having found mobipocket for my book reading (all free ones so far) I was delighted to get the caching queries in mobipocket format as well.

In fact it's a large part of why we became premium members to do that. So I'm very unhappy 8-(

Mobipocket will read text and html too (and any other formats?), so I don't know if there's any mileage there; since it's the nicest book reader I've found for my phone.

Off to email mobipocket...

Is this why I got no PQ's at all today. I have 4 all set to arrive on a Thursday ready for the weekend and nothing happened :huh::(

Used to use mobipocket with ebooks until I discovered GSAK and Cachmate so they won't be missed.

But the PQ's not arriving are a pain.

I just requested a PQ and it arrived in my InBox right away. I don't "Schedule" my PQs. I leave that page open in my browser and just request a PQ for the area I am heading towards when I need it.

I also use Cachemate on my Palm M500. I tried MobiPocket once and it was very difficult to use compared to Cachemate.

I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on my laptop.

I was using Mobi on my laptop so I could look at all the details when making road trips. Can anyone suggest a replacement for Mobi that I can use on my laptop. Tried GPXView but didn't seem to want to install on my laptop.

Thanks!

:huh:

On a laptop - you just can't beat Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

This is sad, sad news. I was using MobiPocket to send my PQs from my mac to my palm. I use MacCaching to send them to my Garmen GPS60csx. What are my options for getting my PQs on my palm from a Mac?? I found Plucker and downloaded it to my Mac but it needs GPX Spinner, but that is only for pc's. Not sure what to do?? Help, PLEASE.

Edited by The Aardvarks

That is WAY too bad. I had gotten use to using Mobipocket and now I may have a problem with other paperless caching programs.

I have a Samsung Blackjack and the GpxView, or whatever it's called, does not work for that device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

This is really bad news for me. I use Mobipocket all the time with my BlackBerry. So not having that will really put a crimp in my caching... I'm planning a camping trip this weekend and plan to cache quite a bit. Having my PQs in my BB with the mobipocket reader is fantastic. Any ideas on alternatives would be great.

I've been using a Symbian phone, and having found mobipocket for my book reading (all free ones so far) I was delighted to get the caching queries in mobipocket format as well....

Since I plan on switching to a Symbian phone for the next PDA you have just solved my pocket query problem. Just in time for it to potentially not be viable....

MobiPocket was great at first, but over time they made their website and installing their reader a PITA. It doesn't surprise me they have pulled support. That would fit the rest of what they seem to be doing.

Overall I'd rather see GPX support on Blackberry and Symbian. GPXSonar or Cachemate on those platforms would be great.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Crap! I've been really enjoying the Mobi docs on my Blackberry, they really have made caching quite more enjoyable than lugging around paper. When I got my latest PQ's I wondered why I wasn't getting the Mobi bits too, and then I noticed that the PQ web page no longer has the Mobi's as an option.

Is there any way I could look up a cache on geocaching.com from my Blackberry without having to wade through the huge search page? I would love a simple little page with a text field for the GC waypoint name, and a submit button... is there any way to do that?

Thanks, and bummer, both.

EDIT: I found wap.geocaching.com, that will do me fine. The only thing missing is the size of the cache, but pfff, split hairs why don't I! :) Thanks

Edited by bluedepth

This is sad, sad news. I was using MobiPocket to send my PQs from my mac to my palm. I use MacCaching to send them to my Garmen GPS60csx. What are my options for getting my PQs on my palm from a Mac?? I found Plucker and downloaded it to my Mac but it needs GPX Spinner, but that is only for pc's. Not sure what to do?? Help, PLEASE.

Plucker does NOT need GPX Spinner(well not for a pc anyways). I use GSAK with Plucker and it works just fine. I'm on a pc so I'm not sure if GSAK will work on a Mac. Anyone else know?

I couldn't get the GPXSonar to work on my Q phone. But what I did is Export from GSAK as HTML and then copied all of the HTML files into a directory on my Q phone's SD card. Now I can search the HTML files based on waypoint ID and then open the HTML screen for the desired cache. A little bit of a slow process but atleast have my a paperless way to Geocache again.

This reall stinks - I have a Windows Mobile 5.0 phone and I can't find a free alternative. Mobipocket was perfect and that is a big reason I am premium subscriber.

Anyone have any free alternatives for a Moble 5.0 user to go paperless?

GPXsonar.

wap.geocaching.com works but only if you have service. Unfortunately I've been in parks with no service when I wanted it. I'd much prefer to have the information preloaded into my PDA/Phone rather than rely on service.

Crap! I've been really enjoying the Mobi docs on my Blackberry, they really have made caching quite more enjoyable than lugging around paper. When I got my latest PQ's I wondered why I wasn't getting the Mobi bits too, and then I noticed that the PQ web page no longer has the Mobi's as an option.

Is there any way I could look up a cache on geocaching.com from my Blackberry without having to wade through the huge search page? I would love a simple little page with a text field for the GC waypoint name, and a submit button... is there any way to do that?

Thanks, and bummer, both.

EDIT: I found wap.geocaching.com, that will do me fine. The only thing missing is the size of the cache, but pfff, split hairs why don't I! :) Thanks

I'm using a Mac and I do not like to install Windows just to use GSAK - I do not know an equivalent tool for the Mac - do you?

Mobipocket where a reason to choose the premium membership: I could load all Caches into my GPS and on my (cheep) Palm I had all description, so I could search a Cache spontaneous while traveling around.

Suggestion: Why not generate PDF-Files?

The PDF files would have to be searchable, so you can find the one cache you want out of the 500 in the PQ.

I'm using a Mac and I do not like to install Windows just to use GSAK - I do not know an equivalent tool for the Mac - do you?

Mobipocket where a reason to choose the premium membership: I could load all Caches into my GPS and on my (cheep) Palm I had all description, so I could search a Cache spontaneous while traveling around.

Suggestion: Why not generate PDF-Files?

Edited by Mfurman

One of the main reasons why I became a premium member was for the pocket query with and ebook. While the GPX file is grand and I like how GSAK can send it to my GPSr the way I want it. I like the format of the ebook and would love to be able to search one file instead of scrolling through a list of gpx files.

Blackberries are great for browsing to online Geocaching site, but as Mfurman says, wireless coverage isn't always so good when out looking for caches. Can't see myself adding another PDA to my cache hunting arsenal to handle this.

GSAK's HTML export is pretty good (I like the indices it creates), but I haven't found an HTML document reader for the Blackberry (something like iSilo or Plucker). I've tried creating PDF's from the GSAK html output (using full version of Acrobat), but they're big and clunky.

Here's a niche market opportunity for a Blackberry software developer!

There are options for the Palm user, it seems. But none for the BlackBerry. I just purchased a new BlackBerry and am not prepared to carry another device; and, Pocket Queries are the primary reason I subscribe.

I dont want to seem crass but, if Chevron has a problem with a pump at the gas station they dont expect you to figure out HOW to get gas in to your car so you can pay THEM $3.00 a gallon.

There's got to be another soultion.

I'm using IE to read the HTML documents and I use the file explorer to search for the HTML document based on the cache ID.

I don't even use the indices HTML. I was getting an error using the indices b/c the htmls are in a different folder/path after loading onto my Q then when I ran it through GSAK on my PC.

Blackberries are great for browsing to online Geocaching site, but as Mfurman says, wireless coverage isn't always so good when out looking for caches. Can't see myself adding another PDA to my cache hunting arsenal to handle this.

GSAK's HTML export is pretty good (I like the indices it creates), but I haven't found an HTML document reader for the Blackberry (something like iSilo or Plucker). I've tried creating PDF's from the GSAK html output (using full version of Acrobat), but they're big and clunky.

Here's a niche market opportunity for a Blackberry software developer!

Edited by Mfurman

Well, let me add my voice to those who are disappointed to see this go away. Paperless caching is not only very convenient, it's, well, paperless. Please find a new, one-step way to give us those cache descriptions and logs for our PDAs and such. Heck, I'd be happy with a simple text file.

Ditto on the disappointed. I love doing the paperless caching. Makes life so much simpler. I'll look up cachemate but I know that when I download the gpx files to my Magellan I don't get all the data. If it's the same with cachemate to the pda then it's pretty much useless.

I'd been putting off really learning to use GSAK as I just started caching this year and it seemed like overkill compared to just converting the GPX files and using mobipocket for the descriptions but it looks like the HTML export option might just work better than mobipocket. The only minor issue I can see so far is that it takes a lot longer to move hundreds of 1kb HTML files to the PPC's CF card than one PRC file of a few hundred kb.

Edited by everlan

Well, this about kills my caching for the moment. I used Mobipocket on both my and my girlfriends PDA's, an M500 and a Z22. This will take me a while to find a new system to use. Anyone have any suggestions for a program to use? I just got a Blackberry and I have been using that but if there is no signal I need to have the Palm loaded.

I joined to take advantage of PQ's eBook was the major reason I chose to pay for membership. I use a BlackBerry and was quite happy with the performance. I still see eBook providing support as the best route to satisfy many of the people on this site. Why not throw some numbers at them? Geocaching.com will know how many downloads to eBook were conducted last month etc. If they see any value on keeping these customers happy they will work with you to fix the problem.

Now off to write Mobipocket.

Mobipocket.com

251 Bld Pereire

75017 Paris, FRANCE

RCS Paris B 429 836 810

Capital social 64.562,00 EURO

Fax: +33 1 48 25 90 07

ditto. Payed for membership mainly only to get the ebook for Palm Pilot so that we can have cache name, detailed description, last 5 logs and hints with us away from home. It was very tedious to save this information manually and keep it all updated when you finally found yourself in an area you wanted to explore.

I haven't found GPX viewer for Palm (yet??) that can cache all that informaiton from the links for 'offline' mode, nor a dependable internet link while away from home so that the links can be followed while out.

Even a TEXT file (maybe with hint inline after the last 5 logs?), delivered by email would be OK and then only one step would be needed to make my own ebook readable and searchable with any other palm reader.

Thanks!

This is terrible news and the timing could not be worse. I have been working for weeks on researching caches for Europe---we leave Tuesday--and have several pocket queries planned for use with my palm while traveling. I have used mobipocket for years! Some notice before turning it off would have been appreciated. I would have run everything in advance. This is not a good time to have to change directions, load new programs and learn to use them in a foreign country.

To make matters worse, this seems like a play to put pressure on Mobipocket to play nice with geocaching.com. All well in good in business, but mobi pocket is not going to feel this pain nearly as much as I am. I usually mind my own business and do not get involved in the under belly of this "geocaching.com" but this is not good. really really not good.

I also need quick information about how to completely change my way of caching between now and Monday night. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

wogunhiker

:( Like many other cachers I have found Mobi-pocket to be absolutely invaluable, I upload my PQs straight to the Ipaq and off I go. When I get to the cache I've got just everything I need. Is there any other way of getting all the info & clues to 100 caches onto the PDA. I am due to set off on a geocaching holiday in Scotland, so I will be away from my PC internet link for about 14 days.

PS. I have sobbed to Mobi-Pocket, & added that I would be quite happy to pay a small fee for continued use of the facility, but without it PQs, (which are the only benefit of membership I use) are next to useless.

Oh man I am gonna miss the book. Was a major reason for premium membership for me too. I use a Nokia 770 with FB reader. I don't think I have an alternative.

Can PDFs or some other searchable format be sent with the pocket query? I think my only alternative is to go to each cache page and save it one at a time. It would even be better to get them in one big searchable PDF if that can be done. I have to save html the PDF link does not work with my Nokia browser. I can read PDFs though if they were emailed.

Wow.. This is really really really really bad news. It will probably cause gc.com a LOT of suscribers, one of them will be me as the main reason for me to subscribe was the eBook format you got with Pocket Queries. Without this functionality I would have no clue how to do paperless caching. Unless anybody has any other ways of doing paperless caching with a Windows Mobile PDA ? If you do, please help.

After working on this problem today --- I was able to make the switch to GPSsonar and use a combination of GSAK on my computer and sonar on my iPAQ handheld (windows based). It just occured to me that it is possible on the user end to downloacd the Mobipocket creator file and create our own ebooks. Creator can make ebooks from the HTML files. What I don't know is how to export the pocket query as an html file.

btw: Creator is a free download from the MobiPocket website.

So does anyone know how to export the queries as HTML? I would love to try it. :(

Well, this about kills my caching for the moment. I used Mobipocket on both my and my girlfriends PDA's, an M500 and a Z22. This will take me a while to find a new system to use. Anyone have any suggestions for a program to use? I just got a Blackberry and I have been using that but if there is no signal I need to have the Palm loaded.

Cachemate works great. I like it way better than MobiPocket. I use it on a Palm M500, but there is also a PPC version.

From GSAK it is a simple "Export" to Palm and all the data goes into the Palm at the next HotSync.

Even though I can live without it, it will surely be missed. Maybe if we pester them enough, we can get it back. Even with Cachemate, GSAK, etc I still liked to have the PRC version on-hand. PDF format would be good, too.

Edited by MikeGolfJ3

Cachemate works great. I like it way better than MobiPocket. I use it on a Palm M500, but there is also a PPC version.

From GSAK it is a simple "Export" to Palm and all the data goes into the Palm at the next HotSync.

That's great, but Cachemate is not a free program. My member ship benefit has disappeared and now you suggest we all pay for Cachemate. GC.com should pay for our license of that one...

...and my 5 minute cache prep tonight has turned into hours. THANKS GC.com!

Uh . . . Cachemate costs $8.00 . . . That is a bargain for what it does. It has worked flawlessly for me on my Palm M500 for more than 2 1/2 years. The Export from GSAK to Cachemate to HotSync takes about two minutes.

How much is your time worth . . . ? :D

Uh . . . Cachemate costs $8.00 . . . That is a bargain for what it does. It has worked flawlessly for me on my Palm M500 for more than 2 1/2 years. The Export from GSAK to Cachemate to HotSync takes about two minutes.

How much is your time worth . . . ? :D

my time... is what I ALREADY paid for... as part of the promised benefit of membership.

After working on this problem today --- I was able to make the switch to GPSsonar and use a combination of GSAK on my computer and sonar on my iPAQ handheld (windows based). It just occured to me that it is possible on the user end to downloacd the Mobipocket creator file and create our own ebooks. Creator can make ebooks from the HTML files. What I don't know is how to export the pocket query as an html file.

btw: Creator is a free download from the MobiPocket website.

So does anyone know how to export the queries as HTML? I would love to try it. :D

Good idea - and this works, but it is sloppy. The end result is useful, but not as good as what we were getting. :tongue:

Count me in as being bummed by this whole thing. :D using paperless on my BB was the bomb with mobipocket files. looking at GSAK combos right now, but it's looking like i will need to eventually have to buy GSAK and another program to get the same functionality. Thanks geocaching.com....

As the weekend wears on, the angrier I find myself. :tongue:

Let me see...$30.00 per Premium membership, per year with, what, 100,000 plus, Premium members, equals a lot of dough! And now, Groundspeak can't run old software with a new computer?!? What is it? A TRS-80? :unsure:

How about cutting loose with some of the dough and hiring a few programmers to write your own program!

And another thing, Palm users...we get it that there are 'work arounds' for the Palm. Now, start talking about 'work arounds' for the BlackBerry! I see none mentioned above. :huh:

Expect me to get more frustrated as my Pocket Queries get staler and staler! :D