PDA case

I have just invested in a new PDA which I am keen not to destroy

I have been looking at cases - the Aquapac PDA Classic/Wallet or the Otterbox range seem to be the best

Anyone have any suggestions/views?

I need it to be waterproof, reasonably bounce-proof and to be able to use the PDA without taking it out of the case

My PDA is an IPAQ HX2490

I use an Otterbox with a Dell Axim X30 It's a bit bulky but the PDA is fully operable without opening the box (apart from the reset button on the back). I've never had any water get into it even in heavy rain but it is not claimed to be submersion proof like some of the larger otterboxes. I got mine on e-bay

I've got an aquapac for mine, it's one of the padded ones. It not only waterproofs the pda, but if you drop it in the water it will actually float! you can use the touchscreen through it, but again, not the reset. (for those of us with a windows mobile 5 OS, this is a much used function :huh: )

They just recently sent me an email to say there was a problem with some of the seals, and sent a padded envelope to return the case for checking. I sent it on monday, and it was back with me today (weds) pretty good after sales service I think. :D

I use an otterbox 1900 for my palm and a smaller one for my BT GPS unit. I believe the 1900 will float, and is waterproof for so long at a certain depth you would need to check that on the otterbox website.

I don't need to take my palm out once it's in the box, I even managed to download a software tool that will restart your palm instead of you having to press that difficult to get to switch in the pouring rain. I can certainly vouch that the thing is waterproof.

As for shock proof, there doesn't seem to be much give in the case, but my unit has taken a few big shocks and everything still works ok. Infact the otterbox is a bit like the landrover of boxes as in it will always cause more damage to whatever is on the outside of the box.

If you can charge your PPC while it's in the case this is probably going to be a huge plus to you, as it's a bit of a moose if you have to take it in and out of the case all the time. You might want to think about other connections like will your SD card be easily got to while it's in the case, and do you need access to your headphone jack etc etc.....

Aiiiiii

Thanks for the suggestions so far

I am trying to reduce the number of devices I stagger around with on my caching forays

Once I have the protection sorted I will be back to two (and no paper maps!)

I use Aquapacs for my GPSr's and PDAs. The clear front on the PDA version appears to be slightly different plastic to the GPS version. This allows the touch screen to work through case. So I think its important to buy correct GPSr/PDA case version.

I find that Aquapacs work excellent for waterproofing and general damage protection. I have found that they are totally air tight as well I water tight.

When I was in the USA last year, I changed the GPSr batteries at about 6000 ft altitude. When we got to Death Valley (below sea level) the GPSr was sealed tigher than a vacuum packed supermarket chicken!