Geohikes RIP - maybe

davester

You may or may not know that I set up and run (well allegedly) a website called Geohikes at www.geohikes.co.uk

I wrote it from scratch and generally spent quite a time describing walking routes that pass geocaches.

However, it's slipped from the priority list (sadly like my walking and geocaching) and I never ever get the chance to do anything.

The thing is, the site's webspace is up for renewal. Now it's only a modest £30 a year but I can't really justify it anymore so come the 27th August the site will cease to be.......

.....unless some Knight (or Dame) in shining armour fancies taking it on. It's pretty easy to work out and the data is all there on a nice friendly content management system and the site is not much harder to administer than typing out a message on this forum.

If you fancy stepping forward post below or send me a private message and we'll sort it out from there. The site will become yours in every aspect though, as it needs more than just £30 a year!

You may or may not know that I set up and run (well allegedly) a website called Geohikes at www.geohikes.co.uk

I like the site - I even signed up and uploaded a route. But activity seemed so quiet I hardly go there at all these days. Maybe a website of the shortest possible walks from car park to cache would be more successful?

Unfortunately I have my own personal web project on a back burner that gets hardly any of my time so I couldn't justify taking this on.

Its nice to know that you have stepped forward to keep the site alive and kicking - good job.

Ian

I can only bow in admiration too. I've picked up a few good walks from the site as well as contributing a fair few. So many people have commented on how enjoyable they've found the walks and the whole concept.

I do wish I could have had a little more time over the last year but alas no.

Here's to the shiny new future of GeoHikes and a huge thanks to TBOS for all his hard work in taking it on.

Sorry for the cryptic message. I have taken over the running of the site. I hope to see some of the regulars back there and the site can go from strength to strength.

Feel free to email me in my profile or contact me at the site and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :rolleyes:

Thats great news!! Hope it goes well, I'm sure it will <_<

if you need any help promoting it, have a look in our local cachers forum which is all about geocaching, walking and hiking in Wales: www.aber-cachers.co.uk. I'm sure we can open a thread in there :rolleyes:

The site is fully open, still having problems getting the old domain name to forward to the old one.

You can access the site via: http://geohikes.boxhunting.co.uk

I have been testing some upgrades on my test platform and sucessfully test upgraded the site to the latest version, even got the updated forum sort of working.

I'm looking at new gallery software as the current gallery isn't compatible with the latest version.

More testing to do later :rolleyes:

Sorry for the cryptic message. I have taken over the running of the site. I hope to see some of the regulars back there and the site can go from strength to strength.

Feel free to email me in my profile or contact me at the site and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :o

Thats great news!! Hope it goes well, I'm sure it will :(

if you need any help promoting it, have a look in our local cachers forum which is all about geocaching, walking and hiking in Wales: www.aber-cachers.co.uk. I'm sure we can open a thread in there :rolleyes:

I've just registered, just waiting for admin to verify my account. :D

Well done ........ I have just registered (although T&C's page not working yet) and had a look around the site.

It looks great and a site that appeals to us - our geocaching is about nice walks/cycles and picking up the odd one or two caches rather than 'about the numbers'.

Already have a couple of ideas for contributing some new hikes.