Notifications

iNokia

It is only available for admins (at this time).

Is there a big demand for this? The site could be a major emailing machine.

Site is a major emailing machine already!

After thinking about it for a while - I amnot sure what point there would be in receiving "note" notifications. The emails on my hides and watchlist is more than suffcient.

And with this in mind, perhaps a daily "watchlist summary" without details (we can link back) instead of individual emails. Something like:

Greetings Tupperware Seeker,

Today, the following caches on your watchlist " MY WATCHLIST" had logs posted.

1. GC755C Rush Hour .2. xxxxx 3. xxxxxx .4 xxxxxx

Today, the following caches on your watchlist "CACHES IN MY COUNTY" had logs posted.

1. xxxxx 2. xxxxx

Today, the following caches owned by you had logs posted.

1 xxxxx 2. xxxxxxx

Just spitballing, mind you, but would greatly reduce outbound emails (1 instead of 8 in above example) and mailbox clutter on the receiving end. Have no clue as to what additional strain collecting and storing the data until sent would have on the system, far beyond my limited knowledge. These could go out in the hours when strain on system and servers are at a minimum, priortizing pocket queries and administrative needs.

It would be beneficial to have the option for "note" notifications.

Sometime there's after-the-fact discussions that I miss out on because I haven't added a cache to my watchlist.

Two examples...

1. On my 300th find a bunch of people were congratulating me by posting "notes" to the cache page I logged my find at. I would have missed most of the talk if I didn't have it already on my watchlist.

2. I submitted a photo on a cache page recently and the owner liked it so much he made it the background and put a "note" on the cache page saying so. I only found this out a few days later by being nosey and revisiting the cache page.

Honestly I could live without the email "note" feature, but it would be a great added feature for me.

I just like seeing all that goes on after I've been to a cache - including all types of logs (notes).

Maybe instead of this "email note feature", instead an option to have any caches I mark as found be automatically added to my watchlist as I find them? Then I can go and remove any ones I no longer wish to receive emails on. I know I can manually add them each time. Just a thought.

Or even instead of emails being sent out, instead have an online notifications feature directly on the geocaching site.

Hmmm...you're right...it's not there.

56059bee-e91c-4458-895b-aad88a08dd3d.jpg

It would be beneficial to have the option for "note" notifications.

Sometime there's after-the-fact discussions that I miss out on because I haven't added a cache to my watchlist.

Two examples...

1. On my 300th find a bunch of people were congratulating me by posting "notes" to the cache page I logged my find at. I would have missed most of the talk if I didn't have it already on my watchlist.

2. I submitted a photo on a cache page recently and the owner liked it so much he made it the background and put a "note" on the cache page saying so. I only found this out a few days later by being nosey and revisiting the cache page.

Honestly I could live without the email "note" feature, but it would be a great added feature for me.

I just like seeing all that goes on after I've been to a cache - including all types of logs (notes).

Maybe instead of this "email note feature", instead an option to have any caches I mark as found be automatically added to my watchlist as I find them? Then I can go and remove any ones I no longer wish to receive emails on. I know I can manually add them each time. Just a thought.

Or even instead of emails being sent out, instead have an online notifications feature directly on the geocaching site.

Hmmm...you're right...it's not there.

56059bee-e91c-4458-895b-aad88a08dd3d.jpg

I fully agree. I think if you are going to put all the other type logs in the notify list, then it wouldn't hurt to put notes there also. I would also like to know when a note is placed in my 10 mile radius.

Since notes are not used too much, you wouldn't think it would cause Groundspeak mailer much more pain. (could be wrong)

--danny_1970_gps

What's the current state of this request?

Me, too, would like to see this feature! I missed out some interesting notes as the "posted a note" log type is not available for notifications.

What could be the reason to limit this feature to admins? I think bandwidth usage is not a problem as the "found it" log type is the prevalent one.

Cheers

Daniel

Since many people forget to drop bugs when they post their "Found it" logs, I can see receiving many useless 'Write Note' "bug drop" logs . . .

With that in mind, I don't know if the OP really wants to get all those 'Write Note' logs after all . . . :anicute:

This could be avoided, if it were possible to drop a bug or coin after you have written a log, while you are editing it, instead of having to write another whole log, to do something that we all forget to do nearly all the time. Love or hate those comma's.

But it should be possible to forward note notifications into a separate folder as I do for all the possible kinds of watchlist emails. Doing that will alleviate the users burden of the many notes. It will not alleviate g®0und$peaks burden of sending millions of emails. My vote is to keep it the way it is.

But it should be possible to forward note notifications into a separate folder as I do for all the possible kinds of watchlist emails. Doing that will alleviate the users burden of the many notes. It will not alleviate g®0und$peaks burden of sending millions of emails. My vote is to keep it the way it is.

Why? Do you think sending notifications on "note" logs will add a noticeable amount of emails?

I don't think so. Most of the emails will be "found it" logs, all other types are of no real relevance.