To activate or not to activate...

The_Geomonkeys

When you get in a new coin for your collection do you activate it or do you leave it alone? From what I have seen most people want to trade for or purchase coins that have not been activated. Would you be less likely to trade for or buy a coin if it was activated already and the owner was willing to adopt the coin to you? So far I have activated a few coins and sent out virtual info tags for a few of them (too many coins mysteriously disappear in this area) and allow them to be discovered at events. I just don't know if I am doing myself a disservice as far as trading down the road by doing so. Opinions, thoughts, or random ramblings are much appreciated.

Since I never plan on selling my collection, I always activate every coin we put in our collection. Besides, how are you going to get icons if you don't activate them? :D

I agree and think I am in part of the minority on this one. We activate all coins in our collection. Any coins that we have as traders are unactivated though as it seems most prefer this.

It is my experience that in the area of selling, activated geocoins are of lesser value

I have watched a number of coins on eBay, and the activated ones typically go for about half of what an otherwise identical unactivated coin would fetch

As someone who does not trade often, I would hesitate to extrapolate this experience into the trading realm, but my guess would be that the interest in an activated coin would at least be somewhat diminished

As for me, personally -

Keepers are activated (mostly so that they can be shared via "discover")

Traders are left unactivated (to make them more attractive when traded)

I have yet to sell one, but that would be unactivated, if it happened

Since I never plan on selling my collection, I always activate every coin we put in our collection. Besides, how are you going to get icons if you don't activate them? :huh:

I agree and think I am in part of the minority on this one. We activate all coins in our collection. Any coins that we have as traders are unactivated though as it seems most prefer this.

the minority is growing then. We activate our "keepers" as well. My wife has a large collection of activated coins which we take to events to let others "browse" and "discover". We also have a growing collection of "traders" which are not activated. We do have a few "special" coins (mostly artist editions) that we have not activated, and probably will not. I got one as the FTF prize on a cache a few months back, I got one from an artist for some things I had done for them.

I have probably given away more coins that I have traded (I am not including my wife's actions here). My last round, I gave away an unactivated coin, and adopted out 2 activated coins the same night.