'Dragging' Zip File to GSAK - HELP

buckeyealum

Just getting started with GSAK. All going well til I get to 'Load Pocket Query into GSAK'. Markwell says its problem with Windows XP, and that I need to 'drag the whole zip file to GSAK'. Also says that I can 'drop zip file onto the GSAK icon' ... I need detailed directions on either method, because what I've tried, isn't working.

I just worked on this myself last night - I had to unzip the files before I could drag and drop.

I have zero issues with the zip file. I open GSAK and then drag and drop the .zip file into the open database window. Works fine.

You can also drop a folder of .zip files from multiple pocket queries into the window. When you do so there is a little spot to check saying you are dropping a folder instead of a single file.

I know the OP got this fixed with the help of Markwell but i did want to add my .02 cents worth on how i do it.

There are lots out there who dislike AOL but one of the convenient things about it is that it unzips downloaded files automatically when they download. Getting my file into GSAK requires only the clicking on the unzipped PQ file. This opens GSAK, where i can choose which database i wish it to go into, and then i click ok. No dragging and the PQ is usually loaded into GSAK with only 2 clicks of the mouse. :D

File, Load, and use the interface that way...

I have always used the File/Open option from within GSAK. Very easy. :o

I've never had a problem. GSAK unzips the file and populates whichever database I direct the PQ to go into. :huh:

Edit to add Markwell's earlier, correct, reply, and to add more "graphics" . . . :):D

Edited by Miragee

Hey, don't feel like the "Lone Stranger".. I think GSAK is a VERY HARD program to get around in..

FIRST: CREATE A FILE on YOUR DESKTOP? (Call it "paperless" OR WHATEVER, or GSAK Database)???

(SO YOU KNOW where TO PUT YOUR ZIP fILES FROM Geocache.com, as you usually have more than one. THAT is WHY you name them or otherwise you won't know where they are for...

2nd: Open GSAK

3rd: Click on Database

4th: Click on NEW

5th Name the NEW database: Whatever name you want. I use names of towns or, etc.

6th: Left click on the WHOLE Zip file and "drag" it to the newly made database IN GSAK, and drop it there.. ALL the files should form there.. I usually create a NEW database for every file I have so that way I can control them and know where they are for, etc.

From there, you should be able to look around in the GSAK and then download those files to your GPS...

Edited by Muffkin42 X 2

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I simply download the PQ from my email to my desktop.

Then, I run GSAK ... Load GPX/LOC file ... right click on the folder icon and see what's on my desktop including the PQ...select it... and I'm done.

I don't drag any icons or manually unzip anything. GSAK does it all (older version).

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Why isnt anyone just using the "Get Mail" import?

I'm just 3 clicks away from getting my PQ's into GSAK.

One to open GSAK, One to open the Get Mail dialog box, one to "Get Mail"...

Done.

My guess would be that it is too simple.

That or they haven't filled in the Get data via email form.

Maybe their email virus control gets in the way? :tired::ph34r::anibad:

Edited by Team Cotati

"Get Mail" import?

Can you be more specific on how to do this ... because nothing else has worked yet!!! When I try dragging the zip file (closest I got was using the Database method), I can only drag it part way into database, then it disappears!!! :anibad:

I've never seen it done this way but i suppose that it works just the same.

I may be wrong but i think i've heard that alot of people drag the whole unzipped file folder into GSAK to get it loaded. Never tried it that way since i do not wish to get everything that is in the folder.

The way i do it requires that the file folder be unzipped before loading. Can you and do you unzip the file attachment that you download from the email? If you do unzip it, how are you doing this? Just clicking on it and it opening up to show the files isn't really unzipping and they won't work right when putting them into GSAK (at least not on my computer). As said above, AOL unzips mine for me, but if you don't use AOL then you have to use another program like Winzip to unzip the file.

If you are unzipping properly (the file that is :tired: ), then what do the icons look like after the unzip? Are they the red and white swiss army looking icons? If they are, then simply click on one of them and GSAK should open.

1)Open GSAK.

2)Click File->Get data via email. (A dialog box opens up. Down at the bottom right, you can click the "Help?" button for more detailed instructions than I give below.)

3)Fill in your email user account ID, password, POP3 server, Port #. This is usually the same info you use to setup your email program, unless you use web-based email. You can go into the settings in Outlook, Thunderbird, or Incredimail or whatever, and copy the POP3 server and port #. Or log in to your ISPs account support page.

Most ISPs will have a FAQ page or something, to help you setup an email program, and will tell you what you're POP3 and port settings should be.

4)Enter a folder where you're PQ .zips will be saved in.

5)After Matching Download-> check the Leave on Server box. You can change this to Delete once you get this all up and running properly.

6)In the Get Files That Match section, I use Subject: Contains, "[GEO] Pocket Query:"

7)Check the Load Folder box.

8) Click the Get Mail button.

Thats it. Hopefully it works, and thats all you have to do to setup the email import.

Once I got mine working properly, I customized the tool bar to add the "Get Mail" icon. Now I am 3 clicks from importing PQs...Takes about 2 seconds to get the process started, GSAK does the rest.

By the way, if you have more than one database in GSAK, you need to select the database and make it active BEFORE importing your PQs.

ie Say you have two GSAK databases. One is Default, for ALL caches. The other is My Finds, containing ONLY caches you have found. If you have a PQ for all caches within your local radius you want imported into ONLY your Default database, and a My Finds PQ that you ONLY want imported into your My Finds database, you have go into the database that you want each specific PQ to go intoBEFORE clicking the Get Mail button.

Make sense?

Hopefully I havent totally confused you...LOL

I may be wrong but i think i've heard that alot of people drag the whole unzipped file folder into GSAK to get it loaded. Never tried it that way since i do not wish to get everything that is in the folder.

I'm assuming that you're not interested in the 'child waypoints' that come along with your PQs. If so, why not use the drag/drop method for simplicity, but tell GSAK to ignore the child waypoints completely so you'll never see them?

I'm assuming that you're not interested in the 'child waypoints' that come along with your PQs. If so, why not use the drag/drop method for simplicity, but tell GSAK to ignore the child waypoints completely so you'll never see them?

There are different ways of getting these files into GSAK and each of us can choose how we want to do it. i'm just used to the procedure i use so it happens to be the easiest for me. I realize that dragging a file isn't hard either but if you want to get technical, there is more involved. First you click, then you hold, then you have to drag it to the GSAK icon. Like i say, very simple to do but the way i choose to do it only requires one click to get the GSAK load gpx file window up. On that note, i will admit that i can see dragging as being the way to go if i wanted all of the files in the zipped folder loaded.

BTW, i'm not trying to sell my way as being the best way, i just wanted to give another option that the OP might try in getting the file loaded into GSAK. :(

BTW, i'm not trying to sell my way as being the best way, i just wanted to give another option that the OP might try in getting the file loaded into GSAK. :(

Fair enough! The good news is that there is so much flexibility it allows us different ways to do the same thing. :D

The bad news is that when a new user asks for help on doing something, they get four different answers (all of them correct). :cry:

I agree. I dont want to sound like my way is the best or easiest. Just a different way.

Just like in Windows OS, there are usually MANY ways to accomplish the same thing. Many being only a click or two, or even a couple of keystrokes. Some people just learn one way first, and become more comfortable with that way, and it becomes second nature.

I for one, dont use ANY keystrokes in Windows, if I can use the mouse. :D