The next gen MAP60's

gallet

Now that the H series eTrex Media Tek has trumped the MAP60 SirftarIII my guess is that a new generation of MAP60's will be released as soon as the old stock is depleted that will have a new Media Tek chip that is better than the one in the eTex H. Otherwise there is not enough difference between the models any longer.

Now that the H series eTrex Media Tek has trumped the MAP60 SirftarIII my guess is that a new generation of MAP60's will be released as soon as the old stock is depleted that will have a new Media Tek chip that is better than the one in the eTex H. Otherwise there is not enough difference between the models any longer.

I wouldn't say that the Media Tek has trumped the Sirfstar III.

That being said, my bet is the 60 series won't be upgraded. I think they will be replaced by a completely new unit with a new interface and styling.

I too feel that the Media Tek chip in no way trumps the SiRF chip. The choice to use it in the HCX models was probably economic based (similiar performance in a cheaper package). Also, given Garmin's tendency to keep older models in their lineup, I suspect the 60 CSx will soon by relagated to second string status with reduced price tags (prices are already dropping). The next generation Garmin's don't need to compete with the HCX models, they need to compete with the satellite-photo-compatible offerings from Magellan, Brunton, and Delorme.

Good point about a complete upgrade and antenna. But in all the side by side tests I've seen I have not seen the Media Tek chip perform worse than the SirfstarIII but I have seen improvements though. And this is with an inferior antenna! So on this basis is it not reasonable to conclude the new Media Tek is a better chip?

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=5

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=21730

18.07.2007_10:35:44_5.jpg

18.07.2007_10:35:03_3.jpg

The 60 series is a quad-helix antenna. The new H series are patch antennas. I don't know if the current Media Tek chips can be used on those units. The 60 series also a larger unit that some people want.

Antennas are matched to work on a specific frequency. The e-trex, the 60, the 76 series

as well as any consumer GPS receive the same signal on the same frequency, so weather

of not a GPS has a patch or quad antenna is up to the designer of the GPS. The chipset is

not an issue

I have to agree with what others have been saying that there will not be a new 60 release (atleast not soon). I don't think it would be financially 'worth it' for Garmin to make an entire new line with the only upgrade being the chipset. The SiRF StarIII is right on par with whats in the 'h' series, if it's a little worse or better is hard to even determine. Garmin will probably only release a new line when they support better mapping, better geocaching features (after all that's their main handheld consumer), and better chipsets. I still think my 60CSx is the best avaliable handheld at the current time :laughing: (that may change with tritons and may not, we don't know how good they will be yet)