Jeep-napping

paulandstacey

In looking at going to some out of province events, I did a "nearest cache" search and saw a couple of jeeps (white jeeps, even) and thought "wow, wouldnt it be cool if they were still around". Then when I looked at the cache pages, it seems as though they are in a "virtual museum". Essentially, the cache owner has claimed them as part of their personal collection. They sometimes have the tracking number of the jeep and some f their coins available in the cache at times, but you dont get to see them. On occassion, they take the jeep, etc to events to "share" Is this even close to being ok?

In looking at going to some out of province events, I did a "nearest cache" search and saw a couple of jeeps (white jeeps, even) and thought "wow, wouldnt it be cool if they were still around". Then when I looked at the cache pages, it seems as though they are in a "virtual museum". Essentially, the cache owner has claimed them as part of their personal collection. They sometimes have the tracking number of the jeep and some f their coins available in the cache at times, but you dont get to see them. On occassion, they take the jeep, etc to events to "share" Is this even close to being ok?

No, it's not okay. Question is what can you do about it?

Personally I have no problem asking a person 'what exactly do they think they are doing', but I'll (usually) consider whether or not it'll make any difference. And I'm not going to advocate anything beyond peer pressure. In the long run, jeeps will simply disappear into the bottom of backpacks and find their final resting place on knick-knack shelves.

What you should do is request the cache owner remove the jeeps from their cache listing so people aren't expecting to find a jeep. Let them know if they access the jeep page there is an option to Mark item missing.

If after a couple three weeks the jeep is not removed you can contact the TB moderator Eartha to have her move it.

How about this Jeep TB? Looks like a real RJTB with a purchased TB tag attached.

What a great idea ;) Discover it(so you can get the icon) B) , remove the JEEP tag :huh: , add your own TB tag and say "it's mine". :D

My favorite part is this, from the TB page.

About this item:

I'm a red Jeep from the 2007 Jeep geocaching promotion. Keep me moving!

Doesn't get much more blatant than that. :(

Good idea for sure. What about these caches that are "virtual museums" and leave lists of their coin numbers (or jeep tag numbers). Virtual logging is frowned upon,, yes? Is it considered ok to report the clearly hijacked jeeps? Thoughts?

Is it OK to "report" hijacked jeeps? Tough question, I'd say no. Peer pressure is best, as stated by Blue Duece. But then some people get all wigged out, accuse you of being the "geo-police" and all that stuff. :huh: The Powers that be are well aware that jeep hoarding is going on, and I suppose you can say they've taken steps to curb it. Namely sending them out to cachers via mail, and if I remember correctly (I didn't get a red one this year), you had to check a box saying you promised to place it in a geocache within a couple of weeks. Hoarding was much worse for the Yellow or White ones, that were generally distributed by reviewers and geocaching organizations.

What do you do when you have discovered a Jeep hoarder. We have one in our area who keeps them indefinetly. They have taken one of their caches that did not meet publication standards and was archived and have kept their collection in that so no one can actually see the jeeps in it. They also use events in the area to bring jeeps to and "leave there". Problem is the jeeps never actually make it to the events. When I looked at the 9 jeeps they had dropped in the event I saw they used the jeeps as personal coins. Dropping them in and out of caches at intervals but never leaving them anywhere. I just don't understnad why you wouldn't share with others.

Help. We don't know what to do. We hate causing waves but we feel as if they are hurting our local geocaching community...

If you discover a TB being logged virtually, please send me a link to the TB. Jeep or not.

No, it is not OK. The only thing that can be done is to have the bug locked. We cannot chase bug hoarders down for a proper tarring and feathering, much as some would like to do, we can only stop it in its tracks.