What really gets up my nose!

"Coordinates were way out" - I'm famed locally for having not very good coordinates on some of my caches. Yet by the look of others logs on other peoples caches I'm not the only one with a problem (Thankfully I have a new GPS so I'm hoping for more accurate coordinates from now on in!)

Anyway what really gets up my nose are cachers who say "The coordinates are way out" or "The coordinates are 79 feet out" or in one case "Our two GPSrs confirmed the coordinates were over 100 feet out" BUT then don't add their readings to the logs so that others may have the benefit of their experience.

Certainly if two cachers gave me readings that agreed then I'd very likely change the coordinates for the cache.

May I say my comments aren't aimed at any cachers in particular, just cachers as a group. I think I have enough such comments to make it impossible to narrow it down to one person!

And we'll were at it! - Stick/Rock/Stoneaflague..........

I'm as guilty as the next cacher I suspect. We recently did a Multicache which was pretty much ruined by overzealous use of Logoflague... we walked over a little wooden footbridge on the way to the first waypoint.. and there right by the side of the bridge was a neat pile of logs and bark.

I said to my son - "I bet that's the cache" - lifted up the logs, and there was the cache container - a perfectly camoflagued box. If it wasn't under a huge pile of logs we would never have seen it.

Less is more - as they say...

"Coordinates were way out" - I'm famed locally for having not very good coordinates on some of my caches. Yet by the look of others logs on other peoples caches I'm not the only one with a problem (Thankfully I have a new GPS so I'm hoping for more accurate coordinates from now on in!)

Anyway what really gets up my nose are cachers who say "The coordinates are way out" or "The coordinates are 79 feet out" or in one case "Our two GPSrs confirmed the coordinates were over 100 feet out" BUT then don't add their readings to the logs so that others may have the benefit of their experience.

Certainly if two cachers gave me readings that agreed then I'd very likely change the coordinates for the cache.

May I say my comments aren't aimed at any cachers in particular, just cachers as a group. I think I have enough such comments to make it impossible to narrow it down to one person!

Does your GPS allow you to do an average? I often let it run while I hide the Cache, ofter to a hundred averages or more.

<snip>I think I have enough such comments to make it impossible to narrow it down to one person!

I thought similarly about something else recently!

What gets up my nose sometimes is overfull cache boxes. This often happens when they are first set and they are crammed with (usually quite good, actually) goodies and there's no room for anything else or a sensible swap. I'd rather see two caches with half the contents in each. (I’d rather see two caches, period). It then happens again when people put their (huge) delightful McDonald’s toys in for our delectation. Lovely.

Today I saw this log (from someone who doesn't often use the forums so I should be safe - although I have removed the item name, just in case they log in!):

“Cache full to overflowing!

Took: nothing

Left: ******”

Why put more into a full box?

Does your GPS allow you to do an average? I often let it run while I hide the Cache, ofter to a hundred averages or more.

Even better - either let the GPSr average readings over a period or take several readings, then take it 100 ft or so away and return to repeat the process. :blink:

Even better - either let the GPSr average readings over a period or take several readings, then take it 100 ft or so away and return to repeat the process. :ph34r:

Maybe he does that, but forgets the return bit....

Sorry, couldnt resist, no offence meant, twas just a joke (said whilst walking slowly backwards out of this thread) :blink::)

Even better - either let the GPSr average readings over a period or take several readings, then take it 100 ft or so away and return to repeat the process. :ph34r:

Maybe he does that, but forgets the return bit....

Sorry, couldnt resist, no offence meant, twas just a joke (said whilst walking slowly backwards out of this thread) :):)

In the current climate I'd suggest a brisk trot rather than a backwards walk! :(:(:blink:

Edited by jerryo

Part of the enjoyment in our sport is the searching for the cache, using our skills of detection.

I too have read miles out 100 ft away, so what some have £500 GPSS others £80. It seems some would pay more if A flag popped up from the base of A tree and said here I am!!

Have fun and enjoy the sport rather then the technology.

Kevin.

Edited by Jackplug

Today I saw this log (from someone who doesn't often use the forums so I should be safe - although I have removed the item name, just in case they log in!):

"Cache full to overflowing!

Left: ******"

Because they can! Anyway, to put in and not take is alot less sinful than taking out and not putting in.

There's just no pleasing some people! :blink::ph34r::)

Because they can! Anyway, to put in and not take is alot less sinful than taking out and not putting in.

There's just no pleasing some people! :blink::):(

Hmmm. Good point. :ph34r::(:)

I was faced with this situation recently on a traditional cache we visited. When I posted the coordinates (it seemed like the sensible thing to do) I was met with an abusive email from the cache placer telling me they'd get my log deleted if I didn't remove the coordinates. I appreciate this is hopefully a one-off incident, but it does tend to put you off trying to help out in future.

Loads of things pee me off... here's a few...

Someone moves into your local area from far away and starts chucking out micros... in lovely places, but doesn't bother to find out the history etc of the place and just says - nice place for a picnic

New cachers who do a cache and say - coords way out - I couldn't believe it when the GPS said I still had 30ft to go, and yet there was the cache!

Micros in woods, forests, in the middle of nowhere.... why?? I'll tell you why... The setter is plain lazy and can't be bothered maintaining a full sized box.

badly thought out caches.... it's placed somewhere a bit questionnable, yet 40ft up the path there's a huge tree with some great hidey holes in it

I could go on, but I'd go on all night!!!

Someone moves into your local area from far away and starts chucking out micros... in lovely places, but doesn't bother to find out the history etc of the place and just says - nice place for a picnic

New cachers who do a cache and say - coords way out - I couldn't believe it when the GPS said I still had 30ft to go, and yet there was the cache!

Micros in woods, forests, in the middle of nowhere.... why?? I'll tell you why... The setter is plain lazy and can't be bothered maintaining a full sized box.

badly thought out caches.... it's placed somewhere a bit questionnable, yet 40ft up the path there's a huge tree with some great hidey holes in it

I know what you mean.

Not had the first one, but I know what you mean on the others.

How about where the cacher decides to completely ignore any instructions on how to get to the cache and then complains about the route.

I did a cache recently (just after the floods had subsided) that had been placed close to the River Thames. It had survived by virtue of being covered by lumps of concrete and was in a place that wouldn't have been subjected to currents of any strength. It was however, very wet inside. The box was a modest sized 'Lock & Lock' type that was in good condition but the lid was being held off the seal because a soft toy had been crammed into it. I dried off the logbook and contents as best I could but the soft toy was very soggy so I took that away to dry it out. I didn't put anything back to replace it as the box was full enough anyway. Do I feel guilty... not at all :laughing::laughing:

But what do you do on a mystery cache? I did one recently and I thought the coords were about 70' out but you get the coords from a series of clues. I mentioned it in my log, but didn't give the actual coords because otherwise I was giving everybody the results of the puzzle. Other folks had also mentioned it in the log at the cache.

But what do you do on a mystery cache? I did one recently and I thought the coords were about 70' out but you get the coords from a series of clues. I mentioned it in my log, but didn't give the actual coords because otherwise I was giving everybody the results of the puzzle. Other folks had also mentioned it in the log at the cache.

You could say someting like, "My GPS gave a reading that adds 12 to the Northing and 17 to the Westing"

My main rant at the moment is to do with people grabbing TBs. We were on holiday so it was hard to do any logging while on the road and we did not find or drop many TBs anyway, but when we got back all those we had dropped had been grabbed with a mention that it was in a different cache to that listed. Now I can understand why they have been grabbed (it has to be done sometimes) but this was only a few days later and they did it straight after finding. We always try to wait a while before doing this even though it means we have to remember to do it at a later date.

Why not just discover you say. Well normally I do but I think it is nice to have the whole trail for the TB owner (and for the milage) so it should be logged into all the caches it has been in. If the grabber has logged it into the cache that is fine but this time that was not the case. Then I have the debate about grabbing back to put it in or contacting the person.

This is my own personal gripe and I accept it is only a weak one but I have just had to log 73 caches and 6 TBs in the last couple of days and it takes long enough (longer than finding them) as it is!

Helen

You could say someting like, "My GPS gave a reading that adds 12 to the Northing and 17 to the Westing"

Or, better still, you could say, "My GPS gave a reading that adds 12 to the Northing and 17 to the Easting"

:laughing::laughing:;)

Or, better still, you could say, "My GPS gave a reading that adds 12 to the Northing and 17 to the Easting"

:D:laughing::laughing:

That would depend on which side of the greenwich meridian you are! ;)

I suppose that strictly speaking we should say longitude and latitude, but if we said "Adds to longitude", then should that mean "Moves it east" as positive longitudes are east of greenwich.

Original post deleted: this is more of a nasal irk:

What really does get up my nose is when you go out to set a multi in what looks like a nice countryside area and you try to combine this with a walk for the dog with the result that the dog ends up in veterinary casualty because some tosser has broken some bottles and left them lying around.

We cachers might have a few gripes about each other occasionally but on the whole I think we’re a decent bunch.

Edited by jerryo

Ah... Drsolly what a good idea. I shall do that if I can find my paperwork! Actually, I copied down the coords you had written in the log book as well to see how yours compared with mine. It was raining quite heavily by that stage and son.2 was urging me to get a move on! Glad to see you have gone to 3 stars, but I still have a headache! :D

How about where the cacher decides to completely ignore any instructions on how to get to the cache and then complains about the route.

It's like you're reading my mind!!!

We have had this on our own caches.

We go to a lot of trouble to specify a parking area which would then offer the most pleasant/safest route to the cache so it's REALLY ANNOYING when people ignore this, take a shorter route and then complain about flytipping, mud, walking along busy roads etc.

My main rant at the moment is to do with people grabbing TBs. We were on holiday so it was hard to do any logging while on the road and we did not find or drop many TBs anyway, but when we got back all those we had dropped had been grabbed with a mention that it was in a different cache to that listed. Now I can understand why they have been grabbed (it has to be done sometimes) but this was only a few days later and they did it straight after finding. We always try to wait a while before doing this even though it means we have to remember to do it at a later date.

Why not just discover you say. Well normally I do but I think it is nice to have the whole trail for the TB owner (and for the milage) so it should be logged into all the caches it has been in. If the grabber has logged it into the cache that is fine but this time that was not the case. Then I have the debate about grabbing back to put it in or contacting the person.

This is my own personal gripe and I accept it is only a weak one but I have just had to log 73 caches and 6 TBs in the last couple of days and it takes long enough (longer than finding them) as it is!

Helen

When I leave tb's on my hols I attatch a note explaing that i not be able log this until ?? a date as I am away from home and so far I haven't had any probs, apart from one coin cos i forgot which cache i left it in DOH

What really gets up my nose is rarely cachers fault but it's dog poo, one cache i did this week had a pile at every other step :huh:

What really gets up my nose is rarely cachers fault but it's dog poo, one cache i did this week had a pile at every other step :huh:

I find it irritating when not only do you find dog $#!t but it's been carefully bagged - like you're supposed to - and THEN dumped. Dog crap that’ll last 200 years. What's that all about?

When I started cacheing.. if you got within 30ft (10mtrs) or theres abouts, you started to hunt. I have read logs where folks have complained that the co-ords are 6ft out!!! One of the best logs I can remember was on the lines of " OK.. 30ft time to get dirty". Remeber GPSr is relying on miniscule time delays so to me its all down to different days, weather conditions etc.

As for picking your own route. To me part of the fun is finding places to park, finding the route.. realising you just wallked 2 miles to find it on the other side of a stream (Time to get wet).

So.. my gripe is cachers who want to be lead by the hand so to speak to the exact spot, then complain cos it's damp, in a gourse bush an there are 5 cows in the field. :(:huh: