Horrors of geocaching

kewfriend

Prompted by emails to me and my own experiences - yours?

* you get to the cache, its a regular - no probs you get the cache open, find the logbook, even find the pencil - then d*mn the lead is broken!

* the cache is in green space at the back of the housing estate, you find the way in - no probs, you find the cache - no probs, you set off back to the car and exit the park through another exit and within minutes are lost in a massive housing estate and have no idea where the car is!

* the cache is a good couple of miles across open country, its raining and you've got the cagoule ... but your footwear ... disintegrates ... leaving you walking just in socks across streams, rocks and cowpats

* you invert the digits which you typed in and find another cache by accident!

Read the previous logs on the PDA... 5 DNFs - D'oh! Why oh Why didn't I notice that before!!!

Or why hasn't the owner at least temped it so they can check. These days if that happens to us and there is no reply from the owner we post an SBA so that the reviewers can at least temp it. This just stops anyone else from wasting their time on it.

You're happily searching away, no joy.... check the hint... no joy...

Read the previous logs on the PDA... 5 DNFs - D'oh! Why oh Why didn't I notice that before!!!

Or worse still... you look at the past logs, they're all "Found it". You start reading them and the last one says "We found the pile of sticks where it was supposed to be so we're logging a find", but "Needs maintenance" hasn't been logged either.

or... one we had recently.

The owner wrote a note to say they'd removed the cache to dry it out, but didn't disable it. :blink:

Both these happen to me all the time!

1 You rely in Tom Tom to take you somewhere near the cache. TomTom does its job and finds the nearest road to the cache site. Unfortunately somebodys house is in the way.

2 You have manually entered the coordinates by hand and you drive to the area where you think it is. Flick the gps on and alarm bells ring when the map does not show the waypoint with a little dot. Then "Find my nearest waypoints" does not have it on because its listed as being 10 miles away.

You get to the cache site and it's all dank and dirty and miserable, and when you reach your hand into the hollow to retrieve the cache you find that it's been muggled and the muggle has kindly left something utterly revolting (usually involving bodily fluids) for you to find instead :blink:

Thankfully I've only ever had this happen once.....good thing I looked before I tried to grab the cache! I have since learned to wear thick gloves.

Or why hasn't the owner at least temped it so they can check. These days if that happens to us and there is no reply from the owner we post an SBA so that the reviewers can at least temp it. This just stops anyone else from wasting their time on it.

Following these I always put a Needs Maintainance note. I assume that some people just don't know about this, or are afraid to use it.

*You drive out to a cache in the woods and park as close as the woods allow on a little country road. You then walk into the wood to find the cache. Found it. Looking and the list in your hand you then follow co-ords to the nearest cache in the next wood and then another. Found them. Once all three are done you realise that you didn't log where the car is and now it's dark and your in the countryside, car is at least 2 miles away..... fortunately you have an image of the road map in your head and walk the road route back to the car with a few detours on the way. ALWAYS LOG WHERE YOU LEFT THE CAR!!

*You go out caching with AJRNews, rushing as many caches as possible before having to rush back to retrieve your son from nursery. On the last cache AJRNews parks his car in a ditch!! Thinking no-one will steal the car we go and do the cache and then when we get back we call the AA. Oh no, what about nursery!! :huh: Fortunately a truck comes along and the driver offers to tow the car out of the ditch so long as AJRNews doesn't sue for any damage. Car retrieved. HURRAH, made it to nursery. :o

*You rush out in good weather to do a series. Its nice and sunny so you leave coats behind and wear a t-shirt. Half way through the series teh heavens open and a monsoon begins........... now we're a little wet. :D

Edited by Coppers Lot

A bit like Kewfriend- you make a mistake entering final co-ords for a multi but still end up on a footpath that seems reasonable!

A bit like Foinavon- Tom Tom tells you that youv'e reached your destination on a motorway!

But the other day in Cannock Chase, I got multiple stings on my rear end. Didn't know what could have got up my trousers so ripped them off and flung them about in an exagerated over zealous way- well I was in great pain and still am!!!! Turned out it was wasps!