Which map software for me

cal25

I just bought a GPSMap60csx and the basemap on it is almost useles. It only shows magor hi

ways and they never seem accurately drawn. The local lake outlines are way off as well.

I also have an Etrex Legend that we still use. I forgot the software that I use for it but it is several years old and could use updateing.

Is there software that will work on both units? I noticed that some of the software has to use "unlock codes" for different regions. If I travel to another part of the US, am I out of luck? what If I live on the edge of a region? The Mapsource I have now and use on the legend requires me to change the map set evertime I want to go east more than 4 or 5 miles from my house.

Not sure that TOPO maps are the answer as I want streets displayed most of the time.

The best software for you 60CSX would be City Navigator. It provides great map detail, turn by turn driving directions and a database of millions of services and businesses. If you need to find the nearest hotel, marina, campground, post office, restaurant, gas station, school, pharmacy, museum, park, etc.... City Navigator will tell you where it is and how to get there.

The problem with City Navigator is that all that takes up a lot of memory. Not a problem with the 60, but you'd get very little map coverage on your Legend, particularly if you live near a larger population center.

Topo takes much less memory in most regions. You can probably greatly expand your map coverage in your Legend (I'm guessing you are using MetroGuide if you get that limited map coverage now). Topo does show most roads, but road data is dated in some areas and only the names of major roads are shown. Though Topo shows terrain detail that is lacking in City Navigator (Lakes, rivers, streams, swamps, cliffs, ravines, mountains, etc...), it doesn't handle turn by turn driving directions or have the database of goods and businesses.

The problem is that what is best for one unit is not for the other. Ideally you can use Topo and City Navigator on your 60CSX and Topo alone on your Legend. If you have the bucks, that is the way to go.

The best software for you 60CSX would be City Navigator. It provides great map detail, turn by turn driving directions and a database of millions of services and businesses. If you need to find the nearest hotel, marina, campground, post office, restaurant, gas station, school, pharmacy, museum, park, etc.... City Navigator will tell you where it is and how to get there.

The problem with City Navigator is that all that takes up a lot of memory. Not a problem with the 60, but you'd get very little map coverage on your Legend, particularly if you live near a larger population center.

Topo takes much less memory in most regions. You can probably greatly expand your map coverage in your Legend (I'm guessing you are using MetroGuide if you get that limited map coverage now). Topo does show most roads, but road data is dated in some areas and only the names of major roads are shown. Though Topo shows terrain detail that is lacking in City Navigator (Lakes, rivers, streams, swamps, cliffs, ravines, mountains, etc...), it doesn't handle turn by turn driving directions or have the database of goods and businesses.

The problem is that what is best for one unit is not for the other. Ideally you can use Topo and City Navigator on your 60CSX and Topo alone on your Legend. If you have the bucks, that is the way to go.

would the City Navigator cover the entire US without buying additional unlock codes?

I have the same combination of GPSrs (plus some others). Whatever maps you have for the Legend can be used on the 60CSx. The reason you are having to swap map files in the Legend is because it only has 8 mB of RAM. That'll hold for three or four City Select map segments. If you stick a 2 gB memory card in the 60CSx, then you can load the entire CS5 or CS6 map set in and you never need to swap files. You might run into the limitation that only a specific number of map segments can be in the map set at the same time; and City Navigator solves that problem. I currently have most of the USA City Select 6 on a 1gB card, but I did have to leave a few remote areas off. The main reason to get newer mapdata (e.g. CN) is to get road coverage in areas where the older units lack the streets and POIs.

Note that if you have CS5 or CS6 for your Legend, and you have only used one unlock code, then for these products you can have a second unlock code at no cost (contact Garmin). This is NOT the case with the latest City Navigator. What that does mean is that at no cost to you, you can have maps on your 60CSx, but they will not be the most up-to-date.

would the City Navigator cover the entire US without buying additional unlock codes?

I have the entire US, Canada, and Puerto Rico loaded on my 76CSx. If you buy the newest version - City Navigator 2008 - you will get only one unlock code so you can use it on only one unit. If you don't mind buying the version that has just now been replaced with 2008 then you will get unlock codes for 2 units.

I'm still using City Select v7 which is several versions out of date (they don't even sell City Select anymore - it was replaced with City Navigator) and I don't really have many issues with the maps so, if you want to load maps on two GPS receivers, you might well consider City Navigator v8 or whatever it is that is currently being replaced with v2008.

Edited by Thrak

I just bought a GPSMap60csx and the basemap on it is almost useles. It only shows magor hi

ways and they never seem accurately drawn. The local lake outlines are way off as well.

I also have an Etrex Legend that we still use. I forgot the software that I use for it but it is several years old and could use updateing.

Is there software that will work on both units?

MetroGuide will work on both units. I've used it on a 60cx and classic Legend. No unlocks needed.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Looks like I will choose Metroguide.

MetroGuide will create autoroutes ON THE PC but I don't think it will do so on the GPSr. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. That would be a MAJOR problem for me since I use my GPSr to autoroute to caches all the time and also use it to autoroute in strange towns when I'm travelling. I would hate to be limited to doing the routes on the PC.

[Edit]

Taken from the Garmin MetroGuide product page. Bold added by me:

Perfect for the urban jungle, MapSource MetroGuide North America v8 DVD offers similar coverage as

City Navigator, including detailed maps throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico— and now with verified coverage for Alaska.

MetroGuide offers automatic route capability on the PC, and is compatible with Garmin units that do not have automatic route calculation themselves. Best of all, this product is fully unlocked! See the product compatibility table (right) for a list of products that Garmin recommends with this software.

Version 8 features include:

• Maps contain full coverage throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, including metropolitan and rural coverage
  • Now with verified coverage for Alaska
  • Includes detailed maps containing highways, interstates, business and residential roads with attributes such as turn restrictions, speed categories and other navigation features
  • Nearly 6 million points of interest such as:
    • food and drink
    • lodging
    • attractions
    • entertainment
    • shopping
    • emergency services
    • post offices
    • camp grounds
    • movie theaters and more

[*]Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource on the PC

[*]Supplemental coverage of Hawaii provided using unverified governmental sources

[*]Trip and waypoint management feature lets you transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your Garmin GPS and your PC**

**These functions of this product work with nearly all Garmin GPS units, excluding the GPS 100 family and panel mount aviation units.

Edited by Thrak