ReMinting a coin...

tsunrisebey

FSM said this in another thread:

For the record, I did not remint the RE (Regular Edition) coins. I changed the metal and/or paint in the remint so that they were different from the original run.

My question is this...

By minting new coins that are NOT the Regular Edition, aren't the RE's now LE's? If they were truly Regular, then why not remint them??? If they aren't regular then stop calling them that, its very misleading. According to your own thread about coin labels - LE coins are made in a limited run, which precisely describes your first run of FSM coins.

For the record, I did not remint the RE (Regular Edition) coins. I changed the metal and/or paint in the remint so that they were different from the original run.

My question is this...

By minting new coins that are NOT the Regular Edition, aren't the RE's now LE's? If they were truly Regular, then why not remint them??? If they aren't regular then stop calling them that, its very misleading. According to your own thread about coin labels - LE coins are made in a limited run, which precisely describes your first run of FSM coins.

Since that is about a specific coin, maybe you should ask it in the thread where it came from. You will stand a better chance of getting the answer you want there then in this thread which is about general reminting.

My question is this...

Since that is about a specific coin, maybe you should ask it in the thread where it came from. You will stand a better chance of getting the answer you want there then in this thread which is about general reminting.

Actually the thread it came from was not the appropriate thread to talk about it, as stated by its poster. Thanks for flapping your gums again. Your post really contributed to this thread, NOT! Remember, two wrongs don't make a right, pghlooking, but apparantly your agenda trumps another's.

On another note, if you can't see how one person's reminting has anything to do with a "Reminting" thread, maybe you need to keep lookingpgh. Now back to the topic of this thread (thanks to pgh for the derail attempt), If you remint an RE but in a different metal/paint, how is it an RE and not now an LE according to the recent thread that defined LE as a run of a coin in a limited metal/paint?

My question is this...

Actually the thread it came from was not the appropriate thread to talk about it, as stated by its poster. Thanks for flapping your gums again. Your post really contributed to this thread, NOT! Remember, two wrongs don't make a right, pghlooking, but apparantly your agenda trumps another's.

On another note, if you can't see how one person's reminting has anything to do with a "Reminting" thread, maybe you need to keep lookingpgh. Now back to the topic of this thread (thanks to pgh for the derail attempt), If you remint an RE but in a different metal/paint, how is it an RE and not now an LE according to the recent thread that defined LE as a run of a coin in a limited metal/paint?

Actually the thread about the FSM coin would be the appropriate thread to ask about it, not a general thread about remintings if you are looking for an answer about a specific coin. That was meant as helpful, not derailing, but then anything I say you will use as an excuse to take a shot at me.

Think you can actually post about a subject within the guidelines and not have to make personal attacks all the time or is that totally above you? I know you have made it your personal mission to attack me whenever you can, but I can't understand what you think that will accomplish. People can see your posts for what they are.

Simple feedback about the reminting of the FSM coin. The first release is indeed concidered the LE run at this point due to the 250/250 minting. It will always be a less of a number then the BN run. I also feel this is what will happen to any reminting of a "RE" coin if done differantly in another metal/finish/color.. "whatever" coin in the end that has less the numbers unless equal will always be concidered the "LE" So a re-minting can and will have this cause and effect to the collector as well as trade value,

Glenn

Wow, I guess I'm not sure if there is some personal history between you two, but if there is, I would appreciate it if comments like this were kept in private email and not in the open forums.

Maybe I'm just tired, but I thought this response was over the top.

This is a great issue to bring up. My thoughts . . . And Practice:

1. I try to provide as much disclosure as possible.

2. If I publish a number I stick with that number.

3. If I don't publish a number it is because I want to leave open the possibility of doing a reminting.

4. Sometimes people will ask me how many I am making or will make and I will provide a ballpark number, which again means that I might mint more.

The issue seems to be mostly about ebay values. One of the things that is curious is that there is an assumption that there is a very direct correlation between the number minted and the ebay values. It seems to have a lot more to do with the overall look, feel popularity of a coin than minting numbers. I can point to "sold out" Hogwild Coins that had really big mintings and have big ebay prices. I can also point you to coins that have small mintings, are sold out and will go unsold with rather modest starting prices.

The bottom line should be disclosure up front.

What he said. I love the idea of a reprint of the geocoin fairy! One can hope Sinterklaas has another batch too and flies a bit further afield.

Buying a couple of extras of what you like to keep to trade or sell later seems reasonable investment strategy even with reprints. Demand would be the major factor in reprinting and you would need what at least 250 to make it worthwhile as a stand alone project, given the restart costs and cost of postage from the mint yadayada. And one likes to move on design wise. Unless it was done back to back with initial sales because one underestimated demand badly I don't like to reprint. Given the mint's proven capacity for problems at any stage of production you can do another coin with almost the same amount of trouble :(

Wow, I guess I'm not sure if there is some personal history between you two, but if there is, I would appreciate it if comments like this were kept in private email and not in the open forums.

Maybe I'm just tired, but I thought this response was over the top.

Nope no personal history at all. Someone just wants to play bully online.

[Nope no personal history at all. Someone just wants to play bully online.

yeah, trying to stay on topic makes me a bully. sorry about that.

maybe you could answer the question i posted regarding reminting now that you've gotten that out of your system. remember? it was how is an RE an RE when other forms of the coin are reminted but not the RE? doesn't the RE then become an LE?

[Nope no personal history at all. Someone just wants to play bully online.

yeah, trying to stay on topic makes me a bully. sorry about that.

maybe you could answer the question i posted regarding reminting now that you've gotten that out of your system. remember? it was how is an RE an RE when other forms of the coin are reminted but not the RE? doesn't the RE then become an LE?

Flying Spaghetti Monster Aug 20 2007, 11:31 AM Post #139

Spaghedeity

If you have questions about my coin or the sale, please post in my thread. For the record, I did not remint the RE (Regular Edition) coins. I changed the metal and/or paint in the remint so that they were different from the original run. But, to avoid derailing this thread, please post any further questions in my thread and let this one focus on the coin in question.

The above was taken from another thread.

My question is this...

I don't see Woletrap cutting down the FSM coin or saying anything disparraging about the FSM at all. Even if he was ranking on the FSM I am pretty confident that FSM is MORE than capable of taking care of himself in the matter and does not require your assistance in moderating the ttread PGH.

Back to the topic at hand. As with many things in life it is at times easier to explain something or ask a question by using an example. I think it is pretty clear to the average reader of this thread that Woletrap is simply holding the FSM coin out as nothing more than an example of remints in general and is asking if the original RE becomes the new LE with a remint. Considering this thread is about reminting I tbelieve it is on topic. In an attempt to answer Woletraps question IMHO I would say that the unintended consequences of a remint would dictate that indeed the original RE becomes the new LE and the reminted coin then becomes the new RE particularly if the run is larger then the orginal run. It is precisely the unintended consequence of reminting that has many people in a lather about remints which is understandable.

Edited by jAY miLLS

1000 coins made example

If 550 RE's were made then anything less would be LE? 450 LE in a run of 1000?

This is why I am a proponant of % based on whole runs for the definition of LE, XLE, AE, ABCD....

20-40% of whole run LE

20-30% of LE total could be XLE

10-15% of XLE could be AE

720 RE

210 LE

60 XLE

10 AE

If reminting were to keep these percentages as well, then there would be no arguing of reminting or not because of the % rarity of the LE. XLE ETC...

Yes I know some artists will disagree but you can get paid in a combo AE coins and cash or AE coins and a mixture of the RE, LE, and XLE.

If I go forward with another geocoin I will use these percentages so people will know if they have a 1 of 1% AE or 1 of 30% ect...

This would make the AE more desireable.

My opinion only.

Yes I know some artists will disagree but you can get paid in a combo AE coins and cash or AE coins and a mixture of the RE, LE, and XLE.

First, I'll say that Im writing this in a nice way - no misinterpretations! LOL

I understand your theory, but as an artist I wouldn't want someone telling me how I could get paid. :D

For my own experience, I personally often DO take LE's and RE's along with AE's but, if I wanted to take ALL AE's I would hesitate to work with someone if they did not allow it - honestly, I dont think Id do the work. 10 AE's in 1000 is pretty low.

Its not the minimum number that bothers me, but as an artist I'm the one to 'negotiate' my payment, and I don't think I'd like being told "You can only have this... sorry." Its much more fun to work with people that give you a little wiggle room in your decisions! :cry:

IMO, AE's should just be a small number. But not a 'set' small number or percentage.

I would honestly say about 55% of ALL my AE's still are here with me. Ive sold, traded, or gifted a very small number, but hang onto many. I've never had such a huge amount of an AE made to where it would be LESS desirable.

And no... AE's aren't reminted - but I have had more than ONE VERSION of an AE per coin. :(

My question is this...

Think of all the coins coming from the same mold as "The Coin". There can be variations in color or metal. But they are still the same coin same as all Toyota Corollas are just that. In the end it doesn't matter what you call a particular run of the coin. The numbers of that run will be compared to all the other runs and the most scarce runs will become worth more than the others.

...Its not the minimum number that bothers me, but as an artist I'm the one to 'negotiate' my payment, and I don't think I'd like being told "You can only have this... sorry." Its much more fun to work with people that give you a little wiggle room in your decisions! :(...

As a non artist, I need to find a rule of thumb should I ever need the services of an artist. It's really not much different than negotiating with anyone else. You need to know what things are worth going in. That gives you better odds of something you can both live with while not ripping anyone off.

In general I'd not be inclined to offer up an AE as that would dilute my own efforts on a coin. It's interesting how perspective changes.

1000 coins made example

If 550 RE's were made then anything less would be LE? 450 LE in a run of 1000?

This is why I am a proponant of % based on whole runs for the definition of LE, XLE, AE, ABCD....

20-40% of whole run LE

20-30% of LE total could be XLE

10-15% of XLE could be AE

720 RE

210 LE

60 XLE

10 AE

If reminting were to keep these percentages as well, then there would be no arguing of reminting or not because of the % rarity of the LE. XLE ETC...

If I go forward with another geocoin I will use these percentages so people will know if they have a 1 of 1% AE or 1 of 30% ect...

This would make the AE more desireable.

My opinion only.

That's a way of looking at it but scarcity has a lot more to do with supply and demand. If you increase he supply...demand is more easily met with the larger number of coins. Making more coins will always impact the coins that were already sold.

Keeping the percentages the same for a unlimited run of coins but which has a limited duration they would be made does make a lot of sense. For example if SEIGO had a 2008 coin and said "we are making as are demanded during 2008. We will keep the ratios the same for the rarity's but when it's 2009...thats another year and another coin and the 2008 will be done.

In general I'd not be inclined to offer up an AE as that would dilute my own efforts on a coin. It's interesting how perspective changes.

Regarding worth, IMO without the art, you dont have a coin. (Regardless of WHO does the art - this is a general statement and should not be interpreted as anything more.)

So, the worth of any coin artist is pretty darn high. Particularly with all the mint issues we have been dealing with - they cant get clean art right without a few tries it seems.

So, considering your artist does the design, does the blueprint revisions, etc.. Id think offering an AE in the numbers the artist wants is a small price to pay. (After number of coins, payment, etc is agreed upon.)

I dont know many artists would who work for all regular run coins. (Some designs I have, but some I wouldnt even consider it - I love my AEs!)

Negotiations are fair, but not giving any leeway is wrong - Just my opinion.

If I make a coin and dont want to be held to a number, I wont publish one. If I say, 150 coins, I try to stick to that number.

Ditto, if the person making the coins stated that they were only making a fixed number of coins then they should not re-mint.

When I did my bulldog coin last year that was what I stated and I have no intention of breaking that agreement by making any more.

However if no mention was made of a limited edition or how many were being made then the person minting the coins should be free to make as many as they want.

Edited by studlyone

Regarding worth, IMO without the art, you dont have a coin. (Regardless of WHO does the art - this is a general statement and should not be interpreted as anything more.)...

This is exactly how I feel about AE coins on a coin that I'd be making, which makes it accurate. Others clearly do think it's fair to offer an AE coin instead of payment. I agree, It's a good option to have as an alternate to cash or liberty dollars.

We all have our deal breakers. They come into play in negotiations. If you know going in what they are, if the other side tries to negotiate it a simple, "I'm sorry but that's a deal breaker for me" gets the point across and everyone can say good buy before a lot of time is wasted.

Clearly you and I have the AE coin as our deal breaker. That's fair. It's not personal after all. You like AE's and said you don't want to give them up, I don't like diluting the coin that my muse has called me to make.

If it helps you can think of the person who's idea the coin is as the Executive Artist. They know what they want but just can't quite get it on paper. It's a real gift to be able to help that person create the coin they have already designed in their head. Not just any artist can do that.

Edited by Renegade Knight

....So, the worth of any coin artist is pretty darn high. Particularly with all the mint issues we have been dealing with - they cant get clean art right without a few tries it seems.

I've noticed that the Mint's artist can't even copy exact art given to them for the sake of making it easy. You would think that all they have to do is translate the art into coin making reality.

Maybe that's an example of it not being easy for just any old artist to make another persons ideas happen. Or maybe they are all rushed so much they don't get the time they need to do the job right.

If I made my Early Halloween Geo Bash one year and got 100 coins made and 200 people wanted one. I would make 200 coins. It is supply and demand. If I made 250 coins and sold them but not all the people who wanted one did not get one, they would be mad. But if you made another 100. The people who bought the 1st batch would be mad. The option of the coin maker to make more coins is 100% up to him/her. And if you want to avoid people being mad that you made more or did not get enough, just do pre-orders.

Wow, I just caught up on this and I think reading through this made my eyes bleed.

This thread strayed way off topic for a bit, but I'm glad to see that it came back around. A few people were walking dangerously close to the limits of what is/isn't acceptable (check you PMs and Emails gang).

I'll respond to the question that Woletrap asked as I think it's applicable and appropriate in both this thread and my coin thread. Since it was asked here......

I suppose that the re-mint of my coin in a new metal did take the RE and make them LEs. BUT, the fact that I made a limited run of the coin started them as LEs in my mind. I may have gotten tripped up on the terminology myself but in the end, the limited run (number produced) of the antique silver and antique gold did not change.

Call them whatever you like :anitongue:

Well, I see that this thread is still going.... after a great weekend away, I think I'm going to leave this thread with only a quote and then go back to doing what I do best :anitongue:

"We all drink from the same well, we just argue about what to call the water"

~tsun :anitongue:

Well all I can say is as the OP of this thread she has summed it all up in one quote. Short simple and complete. This thread has gotten people banned, almost banned and for some a slap on the ol' fingers with a ruler. Well I for one will not comment on this topic and refer to the QUEEN of CARDS, tsun's quote, and leave it at that. :anitongue: Good night every buddy, try the veal.

Edited by Vegas Gamblers

Wow, I just caught up on this and I think reading through this made my eyes bleed.

This statement should put to rest those annoying rumours that I am the noodly one! I have been asked more than once, and since I was in the middle of the fracas on this thread, and FSM wasn't up on things...then we are obviously not one and the same.

Or else this is an elaborate form of subterfuge! :)

Back OT- Say what you'll mint, and mint what you say.

(My new tag line.)

This statement should put to rest those annoying rumours that I am the noodly one! I have been asked more than once, and since I was in the middle of the fracas on this thread, and FSM wasn't up on things...then we are obviously not one and the same.

(My new tag line.)

Nice cover up. I was involved in the thread and was impressed how you managed to hide your MOD account for so long. You really threw a few people off. Way to go.

(My new tag line.)

Nice cover up. I was involved in the thread and was impressed how you managed to hide your MOD account for so long. You really threw a few people off. Way to go.

Cornerstone4 is not FSM.

But to stay on topic, I think that if a total number of coins is given then a remint should not be done. But if there is no total given on a run or if a statement is made on a coin beforehand that a remint is possible then I think that's ok. I, as a consumer, just want the facts beforehand when buying a geocoin. Not all will agree with me and that's ok. We all have our own opinions and this is just my take on it. :)

Yeah Reminting! Something I have no problem with and if it wasnt for reminting I wouldnt have me an Earth Turtle or a Forest Preserves or several others!

Granted a remint is better in a different metal, but if its the same metal to be reminted...So Be It! I just liked the fact that I could get a coin that was prior to being reminted "No longer available"

As far as Collectability goes I could see where a rare coin wouldnt be "as rare" as it would have been had it not been reminted, even though it is the original RE edition that is no longer avail.

I have seen many remints where people didnt give a hoot whether it got reminted, till it was a coin that was really really popular...Then all of a sudden, "Hey its not the same if its reminted"

There are going to be all sorts of opinions here and coin makers are gonna handle the way their coins sale in a different manners. Some will remint, some wont, some will reserve the "right" to remint.

Lets just enjoy the coins! :rolleyes:

Well, I see that this thread is still going.... after a great weekend away, I think I'm going to leave this thread with only a quote and then go back to doing what I do best :rolleyes:

"We all drink from the same well, we just argue about what to call the water"

~tsun :rolleyes:

Well all I can say is as the OP of this thread she has summed it all up in one quote. Short simple and complete. This thread has gotten people banned, almost banned and for some a slap on the ol' fingers with a ruler. Well I for one will not comment on this topic and refer to the QUEEN of CARDS, tsun's quote, and leave it at that. <_< Good night every buddy, try the veal.

Commenting about not commenting counts as commenting even if you just call it banter. But what really has me curouse is people got banned? Egads, it's a forum, you state your opinion, or your opinion on not wanting to state your opinion and get on with life. Sure some folks have annoying practices but really, it's not life or death, just something to make note of for future dealings when it may be important.

So basically I, a customer, have no say so about any aspect to a coin unless I am behind the controls.

I would consider that to be absolutely true beyond the choice to buy or not buy. We're talking about geocoins here, not insulin for diabetics.

You, the business, do whatever you want, and who cares about feedback.

Possibly. If someone has something constructive (doesn't have to be POSITIVE) to say, then perhaps the feedback is worth hearing. At the end of the day, however, the business does what is in its own best interest. That interest may not align with what is in the customer's best interest. I would agree that reminting something that was advertised as limited (there will only be 100 of these... whoops! now there's 200) is deceptive and unfair to the consumer, I also think that it's still a business choice.

Some customers like to trot out that old saw "the customer is always right". The reality is that the customer is often wrong, and the business will tolerate that because it's cheaper and easier in the long run to put up with it (McDonalds, for example, will always cave to your quasi-reasonable demand). However, a high-maintenance customer is bad for business and it can be more cost effective to put up with the smack talk that goes with alienating such a customer than to satisfy that customer.

On geocoin projects, where the project originator is only making a few dollars per coin, it's unreasonable to expect that the person who originates the project is going to spend time that is worth more than a dollar or two dealing with feedback, especially if it is negative and presented in a non-constructive way.

So, for example, if I'm making $4 in profit off a sale to you, I'm probably not willing to spend more than about $2 of my time making you happy, and I'm definitely not willing to spend more than $4 of my time making you happy unless I believe that when you get PO'd you have a realistic chance of causing a lot more damage to my bottom line. If I'm making $4000 off a sale to you, you're going to have a lot more of my attention from the get-go.

And the people who provide non-constructive "feedback" when they aren't even customers at all, they're the worst.

Not only do you not care about feedback, we the lowly customers shouldn't have the audacity to even attempt to give it, since we don't control the project. That sure is one way to look at it. Not exactly the way i would choose to do business, but then again, it's your controls. You have made that part clear.

Personally, on my coin projects I have not been interested in any feedback except technical and quality related. If the coin didn't come out right, or someone thought "this would have been better if you did this...", then I was interested in the feedback because it helps for next time. I'm never interested in receiving "I think it costs too much", "I'm not going to buy one", etc. that constitutes the bulk of the feedback that I read in here on so many projects. That's just FUD from people.

Edited by geoSquid