ReMinting a coin...

tsunrisebey

Trade value goes down as minting counts go up. As sales go up, trades go down and interaction goes down with it. This was once what it was about, community, that is being replaced by commerce.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

As I said in another thread, Profit is NOT a dirty word. When I was selling cars, and you came to me... count on getting cracked! It's the nature of the territory. I'm not saying that making a profit is bad, not at all. But not every motive to remint is ABOUT PROFIT.

Some businesses' only mint to profit. Hogwild created the $4 geocoin - which in my humble opinion was a brilliant business move. But to say that was a profit generating creation, I can say it was probably "just" profitable. I don't know what Steve paid per coin and I don't really care. People tend to think that those tracking numbers don't cost anything, or the metal used to produce these coins don't cost... but when you think about it, everything cost something. Then there is the Tariff that the minters have to pay at customs - and if you didn't know it already, that cost just increased on AUG 1.

If I were really concerned with whether or not you purchased a coin of my wifes design, I'd ask - and I know... this isn't about her designs, but attitudes tend to disagree with that logic. But alas, I'm not concerned at all. And why is it I am not concerned? It is because I don't really care about you or your compiled collection of coins unless you have something I want to trade for. If the feeling is mutual, there is a trade to be had - if not, sobeit. We will both continue our lives.

Don't misunderstand my point here - I don't 'dislike you' and I do think you have a point to some extent in the text I quoted, but in the long run - who cares? Until you (or anyone else -pgh- for that matter) personally designs, sends to mint, pays for the minting, pays the tariff, receives the coins in hand, and begins a sale after calculating all the costs involved - you have no right (nor does anyone -pgh- else) to say whether or not a reminting is justified.

But that's just me.

~Jim

(By the way... I feel the need to sign my name since my wife also uses this account - just so you know who to direct your attitude towards.) :)

Trade value goes down as minting counts go up. As sales go up, trades go down and interaction goes down with it. This was once what it was about, community, that is being replaced by commerce.

As I said in another thread, Profit is NOT a dirty word. When I was selling cars, and you came to me... count on getting cracked! It's the nature of the territory. I'm not saying that making a profit is bad, not at all. But not every motive to remint is ABOUT PROFIT.

Some businesses' only mint to profit. Hogwild created the $4 geocoin - which in my humble opinion was a brilliant business move. But to say that was a profit generating creation, I can say it was probably "just" profitable. I don't know what Steve paid per coin and I don't really care. People tend to think that those tracking numbers don't cost anything, or the metal used to produce these coins don't cost... but when you think about it, everything cost something. Then there is the Tariff that the minters have to pay at customs - and if you didn't know it already, that cost just increased on AUG 1.

If I were really concerned with whether or not you purchased a coin of my wifes design, I'd ask - and I know... this isn't about her designs, but attitudes tend to disagree with that logic. But alas, I'm not concerned at all. And why is it I am not concerned? It is because I don't really care about you or your compiled collection of coins unless you have something I want to trade for. If the feeling is mutual, there is a trade to be had - if not, sobeit. We will both continue our lives.

Don't misunderstand my point here - I don't 'dislike you' and I do think you have a point to some extent in the text I quoted, but in the long run - who cares? Until you (or anyone else -pgh- for that matter) personally designs, sends to mint, pays for the minting, pays the tariff, receives the coins in hand, and begins a sale after calculating all the costs involved - you have no right (nor does anyone -pgh- else) to say whether or not a reminting is justified.

But that's just me.

~Jim

(By the way... I feel the need to sign my name since my wife also uses this account - just so you know who to direct your attitude towards.) :)

Ditto It UP !!!!

Trade value has more to do with the popularity of the design than the number minted. witness the Tracking Time coin or my Pirate Map Coin.

Agreed.

I made 1000 Screw coins, and they sold out in a matter of days...

I made 1000 Nut coins to go with them...and ended up with boxes of nuts left over!

You still have any of the boxes of nuts left over?

Until you (or anyone else -pgh- for that matter) personally designs, sends to mint, pays for the minting, pays the tariff, receives the coins in hand, and begins a sale after calculating all the costs involved - you have no right (nor does anyone -pgh- else) to say whether or not a reminting is justified.

But that's just me.

~Jim

Rather an elitist statement. So basically I, a customer, have no say so about any aspect to a coin unless I am behind the controls. You, the business, do whatever you want, and who cares about feedback. Not only do you not care about feedback, we the lowly customers shouldn't have the audacity to even attempt to give it, since we don't control the project. That sure is one way to look at it. Not exactly the way i would choose to do business, but then again, it's your controls. You have made that part clear.

...I made 1000 Screw coins, and they sold out in a matter of days...

I made 1000 Nut coins to go with them...and ended up with boxes of nuts left over!

Hmmm... In between the two was a straw, or the nuts were the straw...Poor camel.

Exactly!

The crowds were screaming for Nuts after they had been "Screwed". :)

I decided to wait until after the holidays since there had been a few new releases that week. Well, the first of the year rolled around, and the straw had been placed. There were new coins coming out daily! A new era had begun!

I'll address A&T and PSU Fan here as well, so I dont' totally derail HBs thread.

A&T- Thanks for appreciating the humor. You should have read half the emails I received when I released both the Screw coins and the Nuts! :lol:

PSU Fan- I got rid of nearly all the Nuts in a fire sale last year. (I guess I roasted my nuts!) I do have a box with about 20 Silver plated Nuts though...email me offline.)

Until you (or anyone else -pgh- for that matter) personally designs, sends to mint, pays for the minting, pays the tariff, receives the coins in hand, and begins a sale after calculating all the costs involved - you have no right (nor does anyone -pgh- else) to say whether or not a reminting is justified.

But that's just me.

~Jim

Wow Jim,

I'm not sure what to say...but for starters, you two do not have the market cornered on making coins, and the business of coin minting was running along for some time before you two came on the scene.

In fact, you may not know it, but Kealia and HB were actually one of the first ones to come up with a series of coins when they made the first Canine Cachers coin a couple of years ago....

I'm still scratching my head here.

Dave

My thoughts exactly, I currently have quite a few coins for trade that have been sitting for more than 6 months with no offers, so time to release them or give them away.

For the record, I went through your trade list & your seeking list... I believe it's safe to say you have nothing I seek and I have nothing on your list either... we are ALWAYS looking at others' trading lists. So why is it we haven't heard from any of the 'old timers' ? Well, one reason may be that we don't have anything you want. Sorry about that. We just completed 3 multi-coin trades ~ one totalling 8 coins, one totalling 7 and another 4 - so please don't preach to the 'noobs' about trading - we certainly do trade... and often.

Sorry about ranting OT Tsun :) - I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

~Jim

But that's just me.

~Jim

Rather an elitist statement. So basically I, a customer, have no say so about any aspect to a coin unless I am behind the controls. You, the business, do whatever you want, and who cares about feedback. Not only do you not care about feedback, we the lowly customers shouldn't have the audacity to even attempt to give it, since we don't control the project. That sure is one way to look at it. Not exactly the way i would choose to do business, but then again, it's your controls. You have made that part clear.

Wow, CB-he thanks for helping me decide who to buy coins from ... but I guess you don't care, do you?

Wow Jim,

I'm not sure what to say...but for starters, you two do not have the market cornered on making coins, and the business of coin minting was running along for some time before you two came on the scene.

In fact, you may not know it, but Kealia and HB were actually one of the first ones to come up with a series of coins when they made the first Canine Cachers coin a couple of years ago....

Dave

Not once in my post did I say that only we are allowed to mint a coin, not once. I am a proponent of free enterprise, so if anyone wants to throw 10 bucks at my paypal account, it's: jcollins@cinemaboxers.com

And you're right... I didn't know that K/HB made the Canine Cachers - will have to strike up a trade for that since my wife and I are dog people and collect dog related coins. However, I don't think we have anything on our list they might want to trade it for... :)

Wow Jim,

Dave

Not once in my post did I say that only we are allowed to mint a coin, not once. I am a proponent of free enterprise, so if anyone wants to throw 10 bucks at my paypal account, it's: jcollins@cinemaboxers.com

And you're right... I didn't know that K/HB made the Canine Cachers - will have to strike up a trade for that since my wife and I are dog people and collect dog related coins. However, I don't think we have anything on our list they might want to trade it for... :)

I don't believe my post insinuated that you were the only ones allowed to mint a coin...

I was simply stating that your tone suggested that you two knew more about costs and tariffs than others in here. I guess I shouldn't have used the term "Cornered the market". I meant something more along the lines of, "You didn't invent the wheel here."

My only meaning was that many, many, cachers in here have been through the process, so we know what costs are involved.

Wow, CB-he thanks for helping me decide who to buy coins from ... but I guess you don't care, do you?

Hmmm... well, getting back on the topic of reminting - It's up the people who produce the coin. Don't think that listening to the banter on the forum isn't read or understood. It is. However, on the subject of reminting, I think that everyone can agree to disagree - there will NEVER be a happy medium to please the people who may be pissed off about a reminting. There will also NEVER be a happy medium not to remint a coin because it was underproduced in the first place.

Why can't everyone just go through their tradelists and update them once a week? Because it's time consuming? Give me a break. I have always purchased the coins I have liked in the past - If I happen to see one on eBay and it's on your tradelist... I will attempt to strike up a trade, regardless of whether I like you or not or whether you have bought a coin from our webstore. But I guess I don't care. It's about the coins after all, right?

Try and stay on topic, and if you can't, PM me or email - since I am sure you now have my email addy. :)

As a note - this is Paula - my opinions vary GREATLY from my other half.

So... while we use the same username - we often think very differently about coins, sales, and the like. We very rarely completely agree, which is the case in this thread as well.

The role I play is designing coins I think people will love. My role is NOT making decisions on numbers, usually not the sales aspect, just the design and art.

While I feel its the minters decision to remint, or not remint - I listen the most to the customers who are ones I regularly hear from, or who buy the most coins - which is what most businesses value most.

I have some people who collect my coins - some dont. What I dont care about is WHAT coins people collect - they can buy or trade for mine, or not. But - I still aim to please, regardless of who Im aiming for. :)

Its not a matter of saying WHO to buy from, or WHO not to - its a matter of realizing what someones sig line says "Its a coin, not a kidney"

Collect what you like. Ive traded for some fairly common coins, Ive traded AE's for regular runs. Trading isnt dead - I made two 8+ coin trades this week. If you like it - buy it. If not, dont. But, I wouldnt let the numbers made impact my decision to collect a coin I liked.

I think thats the general point Jim is trying to make, although, he sometimes is a bit more abrupt than I am. :lol:

My only meaning was that many, many, cachers in here have been through the process, so we know what costs are involved.

I realize that Dave - but there are also a lot of folks in here that are quite newer than Paula and I, and are trying to understand every aspect. Hell, I don't even know all the costs involved. I made that statement with the information that was passed to my by CastleMan, who sends most of Paula's coin designs to mint. It was the information he shared with me that I thought I would pass along.

And what Paula said above is quite true. We disagree alot -

Since she is a designer, who designs for more than one or two coin producers - she must remain in a neutral of sorts position. She does listen to all the emails she receives. I on the other hand do not design coins, nor do I mint coins (yet, I will say for now). I choose not to use a sockpuppet account to voice my opinion separate from my wife. However, I will not sit quietly and let others, despite their motivation, slam my wife, her designs or her business practice. If someone doesn't like a coin she designs, it's their option not to purchase it.

But don't come in here, swinging 'old timer' shoulders side to side laying down laws on how someone (anyone, not just her) can mint, or remint a coin. It's entirely up to the coin producer - that's it. Period.

Again, OT a bit and again I will apoligize to Tsun - but I do believe all shots can be taken at me through my email or PM. Bottom line is - don't pick on my wife because she designs great coins because you will definately hear about it from me.

~J

But that's just me.

~Jim

Personally designed a coin ~ DONE :)

Sent to mint ~ DONE (direct & through a vendor) :lol:

Pays for the tariff (& the coins) ~ DONE :lol:

Receives the coins in hand ~ DONE :lol:

Begins a sale after calculating all the cost involved ~ DONE :)

Jim I think FAR more people here on this forum including some of those who have weighed in on this debate to re-mint or not have made coins and do understand the costs involved and how the process of coin minting and sales work.

So now that I have made my qualifications known and have passed the litmus test I will tell you how I feel about re-minting.

I am not totally against re-minting it has a time and place. The thing I have the biggest problem with is how it is presented.

If it is said we have these coins and if they sell out and we have demand we will mint more....great fine everyone is informed and all is well. Have a sale, sell out and mint more till the cows come home.

If it is said we have 250 of these and they are for sale now. Then after a day or a week they sell out and the vendor/designer/seller has a demand for more they come back and say oh by the way we are re-minting. That is a problem for me.

The buyer IMO should not be the one to have to ask or the one to take the gamble, the vendor/designer/seller should be the risk taker.

Its not a matter of saying WHO to buy from, or WHO not to - its a matter of realizing what someones sig line says "Its a coin, not a kidney"

Collect what you like. Ive traded for some fairly common coins, Ive traded AE's for regular runs. Trading isnt dead - I made two 8+ coin trades this week. If you like it - buy it. If not, dont. But, I wouldnt let the numbers made impact my decision to collect a coin I liked.

I think thats the general point Jim is trying to make, although, he sometimes is a bit more abrupt than I am. :)

Got it, message received.

BTW, you're designed many beautiful and unique coins, thanks.

I don't remember if I made a comment re: re-minting but as a collecter and trader, generally I'm OK with re-minting as long as something significant different is done to the subsequent re-mintings . Personally, I trade for/buy coins that are purty and I don't buy a coin for a perceived future trade value. Most of this and other thoughts that I have have already been re-hashed and regurgitated ad nauseam so I won't bring them up yet again.

Edited by nicolo

If I were really concerned with whether or not you purchased a coin of my wifes design, I'd ask - and I know... this isn't about her designs, but attitudes tend to disagree with that logic.

~Jim

I have many coins designed by your wife. At least one was gifted to me. I (gasp) traded for others and the rest I bought. There is absolutely no way that you can KNOW that. All you really know is whose name is on the paypal invoice. I buy for other paople and they in turn buy for me. Either way I buy them. FYI, this thread isn't about your wife. It is a discussion to find out how collectors in general feel about the issue of reminting. As you know there have been several coins reminted in the last month or so and this thread's purpose is to discuss that in general. And yes your logic applies to you and very few others in this thread I would suspect.

I agree with the points made by Hula Bum, PGHLooking and also SouthBayDay. The trading value of coins changes when they are reminted even if it is reminted in a different metal. This was shown in the recent FSM sale as noted earlier by Yime.

I also trade for coins I like and I know that some will require a higher value coin or maybe multiple coins in return from me. How each person puts a value on their coins is an individual decision but many do put at least part of that decision on how many were minted and also the design may come onto play.

Profit should not be a bad word when used in conjuction with geocoins. Maybe someone is in this business as a hobby but for the most part making a profit is a motive for a lot of the sales. Some sellers are very generous in give aways at times or selling coins just above their cost and then there are others who price their coins on the high side. We as consumers can chose whose coins we buy and the reason why....

I say get back on topic, and discuss reminting with no one in particular in mind.

I can't believe this thread isnt pushing up daisies yet... bottom line is, no one will ever 100% agree with reminting. I won't change my opinion on it, and I doubt any of the opposing parties will as well.

Signed...

PAULA

Edited by CinemaBoxers

Well, this certainly isn't 2005 anymore. There are far more people in coins purely to profit. New collectors seem to purchase rather than trade and new vendors make up their own guidelines and wonder why 'old-timers' get annoyed at them. The personal has left personal geocoins.

(Mark, this post is not directed at you personally or at least most of it, lol).

I wasn't trying to dig at anyone, I was merely collecting my thoughts, and the thoughts had nothing to do with whether 2005 was better than 2007 ~ there were lots of things that annoyed me back in 2005 too. :lol:

You say the personal has left the personal geocoin, care to expound on that?

Yes, here I go expounding... I will give myself as an example. When I goto events I trade with people, or give away my coin to someone I meet. The person can be a coiner, non-coiner, Jeremy, Lackey or whoever, but for me trading trinkets with someone, giving them a token of myself, is personal. (ok no :lol: comments!). If a personal coin is sold, then ebayed or whatever. To me it isn't personal, I am not saying my way is better and that everyone should follow me (off the cliff! :) ) Maybe designing the coin is considered personal to most. For me, it's how I share it. :lol:

Reminting... I don't mind if the sale wording implies it.

...Until you (or anyone else -pgh- for that matter) personally designs, sends to mint, pays for the minting, pays the tariff, receives the coins in hand, and begins a sale after calculating all the costs involved - you have no right (nor does anyone -pgh- else) to say whether or not a reminting is justified....

That's well and good, and not really salient. That the person making the coin has final say on the issue is true. That does not make it right. When you tell me that you are only making 300 great. Your choice, your say, lets hope it's final. I'll base my purchase in part on your word. But the moment you tell me you are changing your mind for the reasons above and reminting, your word is crap. It was wrong, I day as much and I'd have every right, and I'd stand by what I say.

If you never promise jack...then you are gold.

Your word is good or it's not. Pretty simple. We all make mistakes, that's understood. But we don't all need to spend a lot of timing making rationalizations to justify why our word isn't good.

I say get back on topic, and discuss reminting with no one in particular in mind.

I can't believe this thread isnt pushing up daisies yet... bottom line is, no one will ever 100% agree with reminting. I won't change my opinion on it, and I doubt any of the opposing parties will as well.

Signed...

PAULA

What exactly is your opinion on it? There is a lot of posting and I never did quite get an opinion out of it. Unless it was "We made it, we can remint it, tough nuts".

Mine opinion is simple. Do what you say you are going to do, and do your best to say it so it's understood up front.

Signed...

PAULA

The posts in this thread have been on topic. It is a thread about reminting of coins, and has been on topic for most every post. Noone here is attacking your personally. You happen to be active in posting and have recently done a reminting that alot of people disagree with the way it was handled. That makes your actions on topic as well. I don't see a need to close the thread based on disagreeing about the subject, anymore than I see a reason for making simple general threats of some nature.

Bottom line is - don't pick on my wife because she designs great coins because you will definately hear about it from me.

Coming in here and puffing your virtual chest isn't going to make anyone see things your way or scare anyone into silence. If anything, actions such as yours do more harm for your business, or at least your wife's since you are linked whether by choice or not, than any good you are trying to do. Maybe staying on topic and showing some respect to others here would do better than this silly posturing you are attempting.

But that's just me.

~Jim

This really shows your customers who you care about. You care about the collectors that can give you something, either a trade or their cash from buying your reminted coins. If you don't care about peoples coin collections, then let's see how much you care about them when they no longer buy your geocoins to put in them.

You come off hostile, and it only serves to put people off.

I never stated anything about the designs of the geocoins. So don't come in here threatening people to save your wife's honor. It was never the subject.

It was all about the numbers and the reminting. Now your attitude is taking on a "We are the geocoin making Gods" tone and it doesn't fly with me. There are hundreds if not a thousand different people behind all the geocoins that have been made and none I have seen have been as arrogant. I have been behind the production of a geocoin and big deal, it isn't hard. It certainly doesn't give you the right to talk down to those who haven't produced a geocoin.

If you don't listen to all of your customers then there will be fewer of them.

I had to change my name years ago due to my posts differing from my wife's opinion so as to not confuse people.

We are just asking for honesty not for a car salesman to crack us.

I had to change my name years ago due to my posts differing from my wife's opinion so as to not confuse people.

We are just asking for honesty not for a car salesman to crack us.

Ill answer this one....

I personally rarely have customers. My customers are the people I design for, not the coin buyers.

I obviously care what they think, and what they like, or my designs wouldn't do well. Some do well, some better than others - but thats the nature of the hobby.

Now, saying that - I personally do not care what people collect. Just as people don't and shouldnt care about what I personally collect. Thats not the point. I collect designs I appreciate. I dont collect ones I dont like.

I also will add, that, like myself - Jim can be interpreted as hostile, when hes mostly tongue in cheek - which is often my own attitude. Neither of us gets ruffled easily - particularly myself. Remember, I showed dogs for 10+ years and made it out alive.

Im past the point of wanting everyone to like me, and be my friend - but I do know who my friends are! LOL

However, the forums, coin sales, coin designs, etc... alot of it IS politics, and whos connected to whom.

My personality, and my posts should NOT have any impact over the collectability of my coins. My personal opinions, or my husbands should also have little to do with our coin sales, or my designs. Thats just how it is. My opinions, beliefs, likes and dislikes bear little relevance to the sales of coins I designed, and the fact that I or Jim disagree with people should have little to do with my job.

BELIEVE ME - neither Jim nor I think we, or anyone else are coin gods! LMAO That is an ENTIRELY REDICULOUS statement, and anyone who knows me, or Jim knows darn well I consistently discuss what people like, don't like, and share upcoming work WITH the people who collect coins in the Geocoin Chat room for the sole purpose of finding out what people DO like - and, those people know exactly how much I appreciate the time and input they put into helping me with improvements.

We are little fish in a big pond. I think several people missed the point being made there, and misinterpreted the statement and thought in general.

I never claim to be a big wig, nor would I want to be.

And, let me state it so its NOT MISUNDERSTOOD.

NO ONE is talking down to anyone who has not made a coin - I wouldn't do that, nor do I think Jim intended to. The statement is, sometimes its easy to complain about:

Delivery dates

Cost

Finishes

Quality

etc, etc...

Alot of this is out of the hands of the person minting the coin - the only thing we DO have control over is art, metals and numbers! I believe that was the point, and its easy to complain unless you've been through the process and understand what a pain in the butt things can be.

Now.. on that note. No one is taking advantage of anyone - and I resent that comment Mr.Explorer3 - with your last 'bold' statement - which you deliberately posted with the intent of making someone look like an a**

Again... I wouldnt read too much into it. No one is going to completely agree. Case closed.

But, posts like this were IMO not on topic, and were intended to start trouble.

I'll close my statement with the simple - THANKS to anyone and everyone who has bought a coin I designed. Those are the people I work for - and regardless of what a few individuals would like you to think - I appreciate every trade, and purchase you make to get one of my coins.

Now, I might not agree with everyone here - but I wont let anyone make the comment alluding to, or even to insinuate that I dont care what the people who collect think about my work. I do. But, my opinion differs on reminting. I respect that some folks disagree - all I ask is respect that I also have MY own opinion. (And my husband has an entirely different one.)

PAULA

If anything, actions such as yours do more harm for your business, or at least your wife's since you are linked whether by choice or not, than any good you are trying to do.

My philosophy on this is - if the people here are not inclined to accept someone elses opinion, or allow them to have one - its a sad thing. However - I already posted that Jim and I differ on how we deal with forum crap.

I maintain a neutral standpoint - to a degree. I have EXTREMELY strong opinions - but choose to keep them to myself due to the fact that I do work with several mints - and my biased statements bear little impact, and therefore dont need to be shouted to everyone.

However - Jim holds no ties, and he gets a bit protective of his wife. (Which Im OK with to a degree.)

But, I do think that the people reading these posts are entirely intellegent enough to separate the two of us, and realize that we are two different people with two different opinions. I have complete confidence in the readers to understand that fact.

And of course - no ill will is intended. Not being harsh, I just think its important to note that we do things a little differently - and I dont think it merits signing up another username to voice a few words.

:)

If you think reminting lessens the value of a coin, don't get it. Pretty simple, eh?

This point is really my only beef with this whole topic...

If I knew reminting was an option, I either wouldn't buy it, or may adjust the quatity.

If I buy a coin, and it is reminted later...well, that just takes my choice in the matter away. That is what bothers me.

<words removed by moderator> people...either buy or trade for a coin you want or don't. If you think reminting lessens the value of a coin, don't get it. Pretty simple, eh?

Just quit your whining.

No disrespect intended, AT, but as a collector and someone who mints coins, I'm reading these posts very carefully. I like knowing what people think of issues such as reminiting and presales and reservations, etc.

One person's whining, might be an insightful post to another.

Just to clarify. I was not looking to make an a** out of anyone. Jim stated he is a business man and if you came to him "you would be cracked". IMO. This would lead me to believe that if I came to him for a car or a geocoin he would do what it takes to make a sell, dadgum the consequences.

Great design. I will keep one for myself and still try to trade the others for that is why I bought extra.

<words removed by moderator> people...either buy or trade for a coin you want or don't. If you think reminting lessens the value of a coin, don't get it. Pretty simple, eh?

Reminting does lessen the value of the coins that came before. If before they said X coins people relied on that at the time. Later they can't take back their decision if a new batch is going to be minted. But the folks who are buying the new batch do get a chance to facter in that there will now be X+Y coins out there.

It is simple, but not quite how you described it.

My personality, and my posts should NOT have any impact over the collectability of my coins.

Maybe not in the grand scheme of things, but for me personally it does. I've got coins that I want nothing to do with because of the people that were behind them.

Now, before you get all riled up, let me state a couple of things...

1. I couldn't tell you what coins you have designed, and whether or not I have any.

2. I'm not avoiding your coins because of anything you have said or done, I'm just commenting that personality can and does come into play.

3. I didn't realize that this thread may have been started, at least in part, due to a situation with a coin you had minted. That explains both of your sensitivity a bit. However, you should keep in mind that there may be others besides myself that aren't aware of that fact. If you aren't "in the know" then your posts kind of paint you in a bad light in my opinion.

Just food for thought...

....My personality, and my posts should NOT have any impact over the collectability of my coins. My personal opinions, or my husbands should also have little to do with our coin sales, or my designs....PAULA

Your opinions do have an impact. I left Verizon because in spite of great covergate and great service their business practices and their politics are not working for me, and are not where I want cell phone companies to be headed. For another example, Look at Tom Cruise and his career.

For the most part it takes a lot of work to screw things up, but some people do pay attention.

This would lead me to believe that if I came to him for a car or a geocoin he would do what it takes to make a sell, dadgum the consequences.

Wrong.

If Jim were 'ethically OK with' the general business of screwing over car buyers, he would likely still be doing it.

He was indeed good at sales, but did not like the ethics of the business in general.

Do you think a car salesman who gives cars away and makes little to no profit is able to keep his job? Well... no.

Now THAT is off topic, but again - I RESENT your assumptions that we would do anything dishonestly.

I seriously resent that. And, might I remind everyone about the word 'assume'... :)

I think you could accuse us of that if we offered pre-sales MONTHS before the coins were in hand, or, if you paid for the coins but didn't recieve them. However - we had our coins IN HAND. Shipped the NEXT DAY.

If I was going to complain, that would be my main beef. (Presales, slow shipping, etc.. etc...)

Bottom line is - if I do my job well - I dont need a salesman of any sort 'making sales'.

So, no worries about anyone here selling you those new fancy spray on geocoin protectants, or the new 'anti-theft' devices.

However, for a few dollars more, I can give you an extended warranty..... :lol:

Now THAT is off topic, but again - I RESENT your assumptions that we would do anything dishonestly.

I seriously resent that. And, might I remind everyone about the word 'assume'... :)

There is no assumption at all. It was your husbands words that were quoted. He said it, not Mr.Explorer3. Maybe taking it up with him and telling him you resent it would be better than resenting someone calling him out on it.

Edit to add: It is in post 102 where he says

When I was selling cars, and you came to me... count on getting cracked!

Doesn't sound like a real ethical statement to me, but I guess that is something we will disagree about again.

Edited by pghlooking

Cornerstone -

Understood and agreed. One person seemed a little upset that we decided to remint 200 of the Collector coins. Now, on CM's site, he always had the edition listed as 300+ - I however, without the forethought to avoid the impending BS - did not include a 'We might remint a few more if they go well" statement. (But also did not say otherwise - I stated what I had in hand, and what was minted.)

Now, we reminted coins prior to this, and never stated the intent to do so PRIOR, so, I did not think it was a big issue - and still dont to a degree.

If a coin is DONE, and thats ALL there is - I would clearly state "The entire edition is limited to... and will NOT be reminted" I did not. My bad.

The new coins will be slightly different, as to appease the buyers of V1, but allow other collectors to own the coin as well. I think this took care of the situation.. thought it took care of it, that is. :)

I certainly would hope that the fact that I am a living breathing human being with opinions would not sour someone off of collecting a coin I designed simply because I disagree with them. After all, Im not jumping on Oprahs couch, or preaching Scientology to you all.. Im just sayin what I think.

So.. go a little easy on me. I personally dislike uproars, I dislike attention, and I dislike arguments.

So.. lets sum it up.

If you buy my coins, your opinion is important to me.

If you don't buy my coins, I respect your opinion.

I appreciate input and comments, when said nicely.

I dont appreciate someone telling me what I think, or insinuating things that I never stated.

Case closed, lesson learned. I guess when I personally do sales, I will need to make it clear that I reserve the right to remint to a certain number if that is the case.

Edited by CinemaBoxers

Cornerstone -

Understood and agreed.

(Snipped for brevity)

CB (I am assuming Paula since the post had a pleasant demeanor! :) )

I snipped your quote for ease of scrolling through the page...but I did read it all.

Thanks for the clarification, it helped to understand the ruffled feathers.

I agree with the majority of the post...enough so, that there is no point in hashing anything over.

One point I would like to help out with is this...personality and opinions play a big part in this community of ours. I get along with 99% of the folks here...new and old. I have had disagreements with several here, but for the most part, we work through things, and remain friends.

However, there have been isolated cases where disagreements arise, and the relative anonymity of this environment allows things to be said, and situations to escalate...sometimes beyond repair. (One fairly infamous one occured in full view of these forums and resulted in a spectacular geocide.) In those intstances, I have sworn off any of their coins and designs. When I look through my collection, I don't want to be reminded of a bad experience. So, in a nutshell, personal opinions can affect the collectibility of coins.

Dave

Cornerstone -

Understood and agreed.

(Snipped for brevity)

CB (I am assuming Paula since the post had a pleasant demeanor! :) )

I agree...

What I resent is that ANY post was made to this thread from the CB account today, as previously - had my hubby read - I stated my position, and was ready to be done with the discussion in its entirety.

I stated my opinion - I have no issue with reminting. But, I do not conduct myself dishonestly, and that was what seriously ruffled my feathers.

I personally am ready to be done with the reminting discussion - and was the last time I posted.

I think I just need the disclaimer "I am not responsible for the opinions expressed by my other half"

I would like to think that there has not been anything posted from THIS account to deter anyone from collecting my coins - I certainly dont think we've expressed anything THAT bad... but theres a few folks on here Im sure who don't buy them, and wouldn't anyways. :lol:

I think forums are just a small representative of real-life. Some of us get along, some dont. Some of us are great friends. Some arent. But, the biggest problem with forums is that people can't SEE or hear the inflection of how a comment is intended.

I do hope someday to meet many of you at an event - I think we would all likely get along alot better if expressions could be seen, if comments intended to be humorous were interpreted that way... and if things didnt always seem sarcastic. We generally get along with everyone - (aside from one person who replaced a cache that WASN't MISSING and called it a find). But... I think that kind of thing would irritate anyone.

I dont have anything personal against anyone, and I hope the same is true in reverse. And, yes.. I think many of us have learned from the concept that it needs to be stated - "Remint possible" but, I also wouldnt assume otherwise. I think it needs to be clear EITHER way. (Black or white - No remint, or remint possible)

I dont think anyone is in coins to intentionally mislead anyone - I know thats how I feel. But I think sometimes misunderstandings get out of control, and people read to much into a simple line of text.

I wish this wasnt the case, but sometimes it happens.

:lol:

...when I personally do sales, I will need to make it clear that I reserve the right to remint to a certain number if that is the case.

Thank you.

That is/was my only beef with this whole re-minting thing. Be upfront and honest in your intentions.

I certainly hope other vendors/minters/sellers see that too and follow those practices.

Let your customers know what to expect.

... and if things didnt always seem sarcastic. :)

Ahh, those that have met me tend to say I am much more sarcastic in person than I am in my writing...

(Well, that's what my wife always says anyway.)

Nothing was said as far as I'm concerned that would put me off from your designs. I just keyed on something you said and offered my perspective.

That about sums it up pgh. If you want that much control as a consumer you need to go to Subway for a custom sandwich. And the point of the post, IMHO was that some people don't care how You would choose to do business, because its not your business. What was the last physical store you walked into that asked you for help with their business decisions?

:lol:

Sure you can yap yer mouth, as can I. But that is a little more on the free speech side than the consumerism side.

:)