Wanted! Beginner GPS for both caching and car use.

CHABOX

I want a Unit I can cache with as well as use in the car. I was thinking about the legend but I was not sure about the car use on trips, etc.. Any for sale or any thoughts on what I might get. A friend of mine has a nuvi for trips which I like but I dont know about caching with this.

Hi, I have a Garmin Legend which is an excellent entry level GPS. I've used it both

for Geocaching , and some in the car. The base map is ok, however it is not really

designed for car use. It will accept the older versions of Metro guide which you can

download and would help finding addresses, points of interest etc. I was recently given

a Garmin c330 for the car and is an excellent gps for trips, or finding your way around

Dallas as we did the very next day after getting it. I think that a good all around all purpose

gps would be a Garmin Legend Cx or Vista Cx or the Map 60cCS/X, all depends how much you

want to spend. Remember to make it an all purpose gps you would need to buy additional

maps from Garmin. I'm currently looking at buying one of the aforementioned. Hope this

helps.

What is your budget? The least expensive unit that will do that might be the Legend C after you buy and install the City Navigator maps. The best units, with larger screens, would be the Garmin GPS Map 60Cx/CSx or 76Cx/CSx.

I wanted to keep it under $200 if possible but I do not want to have to replace in a short time either. How much is city nav. maps and how much trouble to install? What are the advantages of the other units you mentioned? Do they already come with needed software, etc.?

I have an eTrex Legend ($150 at Circuit City) I use in the car. It's good for finding the nearest highway.

The benefit of paying a little more for the Legend, is that it includes a serial cable.

I like to create directions in Google Earth, save the file, convert it with gpsvisualizer.com and load it in with EasyGPS as a track. Using the track, the compass arrow indicates my exits and turns, even if the road isn't on the base map. It's a bit complicated, but cheaper than buying the maps.

I subscribed to the premium Google Earth, so I can directly load my track logs and review where I've been.

I miss having a color screen. It'd be a lot easier to see a track in color while driving.

Go for a TomTom One.

You can both input addresses and gps coords into it, you can download the offroad utility for it that helps with caching, and it stores a ton of POI's as well as comes loaded with standard things like hotels, restaraunts and fastfood. The built in battery holds a charge for about 2 hours and their computer software that comes with it makes it a breeze to input new waypoints if you plan from home as well as keep up with updates! It has a browse map function we find very useful for caching that also zooms well.

It's what we started with and we still use it and have no regrets!

We'd like to get a handheld to use exclusively for caching, but until the funds free up for it, we're happy with our TomTom and it's really doing the job for us well!

I can't recommend it highly enough, to be honest! It really has done us well for a starter unit!

I want a Unit I can cache with as well as use in the car. I was thinking about the legend but I was not sure about the car use on trips, etc.. Any for sale or any thoughts on what I might get. A friend of mine has a nuvi for trips which I like but I dont know about caching with this.

We originally bought an Averatec. It's great for the car, not too good for caching. :( We also had the opportunity to use a Garmin Vista. Not good under dense tree cover. We now own 2 garmins 60s. One is the 60CXS the other 60CS. My husband uses the CS and says it's ok but the CXS is more reliable under tree cover. Very dense cover still causes it to bounce some but gets you close enough that with a little determination and caching sense you can still find the cache. Good luck. :huh:

My friend who geocaches with me has a nuvi, and it works just as well as my 60cs. He hand enters the coordinates for the caches and I download them via the computer. His has a 2 hour battery life, and mine has basically unlimited with AA batteries. The Screen on his is a ton better and it is alot easier to use in the car for driving directions. With my 60cs and city nav. 6 it works pretty well. No voice telling me to turn right just some tones. Also the 60cs is waterproof, and in general less suceptible to breakage. If you want it mostly for driving go with a nuvi. If you eventually really get into geocaching, then get a handheld then. If you know you'll be caching for a while, the handhelds are decent for car driving. Just know that you'll have to buy additional street level maps for the handhelds to do the routing for you. You'll also need to get a mount and car power adapter.

Do you have to get the map software directly from Garmin or are there other ways of getting city select/nav.? How much can I expect to give this for?

You can find it any place that sells Garmin GPSes. Amazon.com is usually a good source. For City Navigator (Garmin's road navigation software) you should expect to pay between $100 and $120. It's worth every penny.