Magellan Customer Service

I sent my Explorist XL back to Thales Repair in Fort Worth. I got it back one month later. I turned it on, and got only a blue screen. The unit was in the same shape as when I sent it to them. Nothing was done. Of course I originally sent it to them at my expense. After I got the unit back un-fixed I called Magellan. I was of course routed to India for the fourth time where the customer service representatives are maddeningly polite but absolutely worthless. They wanted to go through their check off list of turning the unit on, plugging it into the computer etc. etc. which I have done ad nauseum. I refused to start that whole process again. I was told that I would need a new RMA #, but that they could not give me one because their server was down. I asked to speak to a manager, but none was available.

I tried emailing Magellan Technical Support at two different addresses: magellansupport@thalesnavigation.com, and magellansupportfr@thalesnavigation.com both were bounced back undeliverable. I tried calling 411 to obtain a number for Magellan/Thales Repair in Fort Worth, TX. No number was listed.

I have absolutely no faith in Magellan whatsoever, and given the lengths to which they’ve gone to insulate themselves from their consumers, it would not surprise me if their “Repair Facility” did in fact NOT exist.

I am pretty disparaged, however, that is in all probability the exact result that Magellan is hoping to obtain. Maybe if they mess with me enough, I will simply go away.

Please post a response if you have any direct contact numbers or email addresses, or if you simply have had a similar experience. Misery loves company.

If they're telling you that they can't issue a new RMA because the server is down, I'd guess they can't issue a new RMA because the server is down. Try again in a day or two. You just have to go through the 'process' they don't pay that staff enough to have people that can make decisions.

They aren't covering themselves with glory on customer service for sure.

I used the 1-800-707-9971 number and got a RMA for warranty repairs to my eXplorist500. The repair was actually made, too.

I expect this will be the last Magellan unit I buy. Partly because of the lack of support, partly because of the device itself.

You might try dealing woth the store were you bought the GPS. Dealers hand other support numbers that they can use. You might try 411 for Magellan GPS, Thales no longer owns Magellan

Magellan also has offices in San Dimas ca. and I Santa Clara ca. Do not limit yourself to just the tech support numbers.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but you and I are not unique in this matter.

I had a similar experience with an XL early this summer. In fact, if you do some searching on these forums you will see scorching comments on Magellan's lousy service not just from me but others as well.

I can tell you that because they told me to send the unit back to them (at my expense) I became infuriated to the point where I made them pay for shipping both ways. It took them days to get around to emailing me the shipping label and RMA. They are the lamest company. Yes, it took them weeks to fix mine too.

I was lucky though. The e-tailer I bought it from talked them (the distributor) into taking the whole piece of junk back along with all their dumb software that I bought, opened and used! Of course they (Magellan) tried to back out of their promise to do a refund but the e-tailer and I prevailed.

I now have a Garmin 60CSx, topo and city nav 08 and am as happy as could be.

YUK!!! I'm sooooooooooo glad I went with Garmin. I've dealt with their customer service a few times. I always got right through and it was always to someone in Olathe, KS who spoke perfect English and knew a lot about the units. I've sent mine in for repair 3 times (not the same unit) and each time I was issued a RMA without question and received quick and fabulous service. The first one I sent back I told them flat out that I had broken the thing, I knew it wasn't a warranty issue, and asked if they could repair it and charge me. They replaced it for free.

Every time I read one of these "Magellan service sucks" threads I thank Bob (my cat) that I bought Garmin.

I had the same trouble with "customer service" thats a stretch. Of the several people that I talked with, not one was able to speak english clearly. They gave me the runaround and I wound up taking the unit back to W-Mart and traded up for a garmin. I will not buy another Magellan product because of their customer service.

Did I just make a big purchasing mistake yesterday?

Bought the eXplorist 210 for $149 instead of an ETrex Legend for $156. My brain was swimming when looking at the boxes they came in and trying to decide if the Magellan with 22mg was a better deal than the Legend with 8 mg. I have 15 days to return it - should I?

Help...

First GPSr purchase and I'm confused as all get out.

Hey princess. You should return it and look on ebay for a Legend C. It's way ahead of the Legend and the Explorist 210, and you WILL get it for $150.

I really wanted a Legend C, but everywhere I shopped (not online) they were a lot more. I may take this back and just get what I really wanted to begin with. But since I have time, I may wait until next week. Leaving in a couple of days for a motorcycle trip and was hoping to have a GPSr on hand to use.

Thanks for the reply!!

I sent my Explorist XL back to Thales Repair in Fort Worth. I got it back one month later. I turned it on, and got only a blue screen. The unit was in the same shape as when I sent it to them. Nothing was done. Of course I originally sent it to them at my expense. After I got the unit back un-fixed I called Magellan. I was of course routed to India for the fourth time where the customer service representatives are maddeningly polite but absolutely worthless. They wanted to go through their check off list of turning the unit on, plugging it into the computer etc. etc. which I have done ad nauseum. I refused to start that whole process again. I was told that I would need a new RMA #, but that they could not give me one because their server was down. I asked to speak to a manager, but none was available.

I tried emailing Magellan Technical Support at two different addresses: magellansupport@thalesnavigation.com, and magellansupportfr@thalesnavigation.com both were bounced back undeliverable. I tried calling 411 to obtain a number for Magellan/Thales Repair in Fort Worth, TX. No number was listed.

I have absolutely no faith in Magellan whatsoever, and given the lengths to which they’ve gone to insulate themselves from their consumers, it would not surprise me if their “Repair Facility” did in fact NOT exist.

I am pretty disparaged, however, that is in all probability the exact result that Magellan is hoping to obtain. Maybe if they mess with me enough, I will simply go away.

Please post a response if you have any direct contact numbers or email addresses, or if you simply have had a similar experience. Misery loves company.

I can agree with the lousy service. I , as well as my dealer tried to get the $19.00 Battery package deal they were advertizing (with coupon). All we got were the runaround, sorry no batterys or charger deals. But its still on their website and they are still trying to push the batterys. I'll probably end up getting rid of this unit (500LE) and getting a Garmin, just to save from going bankrupt buying AAA batterys.

I have 3 Magellans Meridian gold, sport trak color and exploriost 500, and I have not had any problems with them that were do to the GPS. I did have to get my Explorist 500 repaired, but that was do to my rough handling if it. I sent it in and I had it back in 7 working days.

I have never had a problem with my Meridian and Sport track color.

As far as having to pay to send an item in for repair. this is a practice of just about every company. Having delt with doing returns for customers in the past, I can not think if a company pays for the shipping both way on a return.

If some one takes a return to a dealer, the dealer may pay for the shipping, that is up to the dealer. Were I was working we paid to ship the returns for the customer as a service.

As far as turn around time. Dealing with Magellan and Garmin we alway got the repaired or replaced items back in 7-10 working days from both Gamin and Magellan. But there were times that we had probelms with both of them. ALso, turn arounds depends on the number of items that are sitting in the service dept an any one time, there is not way to predict how many returns a company will get at a given time.

Any typos are due to lost reading glasses :laughing:

Did I just make a big purchasing mistake yesterday?

Bought the eXplorist 210 for $149 instead of an ETrex Legend for $156. My brain was swimming when looking at the boxes they came in and trying to decide if the Magellan with 22mg was a better deal than the Legend with 8 mg. I have 15 days to return it - should I?

Help...

First GPSr purchase and I'm confused as all get out.

I made this mistake too got the 210 home it seemed to be a solid unit and worked well but could not hook it to my computer. no Vista drivers. there are workarounds but Id rather not. they were very slow (several days) to respond to emails customer service could not offer any indication when or even if Windows Vista drivers were coming. They had the nerve to tell me that I should install XP on my computer instead.

I returned the magelan got a garmin and haven't looked back I actually liked the urganomics and feel of the Magellan better but good support is far more important to me.

As far as having to pay to send an item in for repair. this is a practice of just about every company. Having delt with doing returns for customers in the past, I can not think if a company pays for the shipping both way on a return.

You're wrong. I can think of several. In fact that's how many of them earn myrepeat business.

In this case I spent about $500 on a complete package. That was the XL unit, software and accessories.

I had the thing 6 days and it took a dump on me. 6 days! Then after being jerked around by somebody in Bombay I was furious.

Getting them to pay for shipping both ways didn't even begin to make things right. To me it was a matter of principle.

The moral to this story is that terms, prices, service and effort are often negotiable. If you want to swallow everything somebody tells you go ahead. Not me.

I would suggest that anyone who buys shoddy merchandise only to have the ownership experienced diminished by rotten customer service and support to do a return and get a refund. That's the only way we can get horrible companies to change of go out of business. That and word of mouth is powerful.

Edited by TopangaHiker

I suppose I got lucky that I have three working Magellan units over the history of their products that still work, if they really do sell such shoddy merchandise. Interestingly enough I've never had a trouble with the cable on the 315 or the 400 either that some report. Then again with carpal tunnel I don't tend to gorilla grip tighten much either. Who knows.

You're wrong. I can think of several. In fact that's how many of them earn myrepeat business.

In this case I spent about $500 on a complete package. That was the XL unit, software and accessories.

I had the thing 6 days and it took a dump on me. 6 days! Then after being jerked around by somebody in Bombay I was furious.

Getting them to pay for shipping both ways didn't even begin to make things right. To me it was a matter of principle.

The moral to this story is that terms, prices, service and effort are often negotiable. If you want to swallow everything somebody tells you go ahead. Not me.

I would suggest that anyone who buys shoddy merchandise only to have the ownership experienced diminished by rotten customer service and support to do a return and get a refund. That's the only way we can get horrible companies to change of go out of business. That and word of mouth is powerful.

Who are you to say I am wrong.

I will put it you in simple terms. I have over 30 years experience in the retail industry

doing every thing from shipping and receiving, sales , buying and owning a business. You

do not know what companies I have done bussiness with an you do not know their

policies on returns. I have worked with hundreds of companies of the years,

For you information from the Garmin web site concerning warranties

All Garmin products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin International, Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost.

I will put it you in simple terms. I have over 30 years experience in the retail industry

doing every thing from shipping and receiving, sales , buying and owning a business. You

All Garmin products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin International, Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost.

BAM!!!

Bwahaha I love you guys.

Who are you to ask me who am I when you asked who are you? (see? I can use scary text colors too)

I don't care if you spent 30 years in retail and you're the love child of JC Penny, and Jeff Bezos.

I'll put it to you in simpler terms. I have more years experience in front of the retail counter than you have behind it and just because you know how to copy and paste warranty information doesn't mean you know anything about service.

I'll make my point another way: Warranties are printed words on paper. They aren't etched in stone. Is that simple enough for you?

Have a nice life.

You can beleive what you want.

When a customer takes an item into a dealer to be returned and the dealer does not charge for the shiping that is becasue the dealer is paying for the cost to ship the item back. The dealer eats that cost.

Like I said, you do not know what companies I have done business with and how the

dealing were resolved, so like I said you tell me I am wrong is nonsense

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Like I said, you do not know what companies I have done business with and how the

dealing were resolved, so like I said you tell me I am wrong is nonsense

You know what? I never said I did and I still don't care either.

Maybe you're a dinosaur from the past.

I know you are, but what am I...

:D

back on track. Maggie has had bad customer service and product support (nearly non-existant) for a number of years now. Recent conversations with marketing folks about the new Triton series show that they know there is a problem and are 'working on it." I am not holding my breath. I'll let other folks writhe in angst for a year with the new GPSr's coming out before I make my next purchasing decision.

Good luck Maggie! you're going to need it :huh:

I have no quams with Magellan. I've dealt with the pea brained Garmin Customer service (its a sad day when I have to teach Garmin techie support how a unit works). I believe the perceived problem with Magellan cust support is the namby bambies who seek instant gratification with things that happen because they can't tell a button from a plug.

I have also had awful customer service from Magellan.

I am having difficulty installing the drivers for my Exporist 500LE. The online support did not contain any information regarding USB drivers, so I called the 1-800 technical support line. I spoke with a representative today and he informed me I would need to go to the Google website to find the drivers for my GPS unit. I informed him that this was incorrect because I could see the Drivers on the software CD that was included with the GPS unit and when I ran the install wizard, I received the confirmation that the USB driver has been installed. However, when I install the software, the device is still not being recognized and when I look in my "Driver" folder on my C drive. the drivers are not installed. The representative informed me that I would have to call back at a later date and time. When I asked to speak to someone else, he put me on hold and came back after a lengthy wait to inform me his manager was on another call and I would need to call back.

I suggested that I would receive better customer service if I returned my Magellan GPS and went out and bought a Garmin instead. He said he did not understand what I was saying and I would need to call back.

Hey Princess. Did you buy a GPS yet?

Hey princess. You should return it and look on ebay for a Legend C. It's way ahead of the Legend and the Explorist 210, and you WILL get it for $150.

I really wanted a Legend C, but everywhere I shopped (not online) they were a lot more. I may take this back and just get what I really wanted to begin with. But since I have time, I may wait until next week. Leaving in a couple of days for a motorcycle trip and was hoping to have a GPSr on hand to use.

Thanks for the reply!!

I am brand new to all of this (first post as well) and just this afternoon I stopped by REI because of their big Labor day sale. To make a long story short I picked up a new explorist XL for $99 and some change. This is my first GPS unit and I thought I couldn't pass up this price so I got the last one/ only one they had. But after reading about the bad CS I am wondering if I should return it? Any thoughts? Thanks

I am brand new to all of this (first post as well) and just this afternoon I stopped by REI because of their big Labor day sale. To make a long story short I picked up a new explorist XL for $99 and some change. This is my first GPS unit and I thought I couldn't pass up this price so I got the last one/ only one they had. But after reading about the bad CS I am wondering if I should return it? Any thoughts? Thanks

PM me...I'll give you $130 + shipping for it.

If it's any reassurance, REI has a great return policy. Think of it as insurance.

If you're ever dissatisfied with an item, you may return or exchange your REI.com purchases at any REI store or through mail order.

Stay away from the Magellan explorist 500LE, it is a total piece of garbage.

Won't recognize data on SD card, door does not seal tight and lets water in, drops signals

in an open field with no cloud cover. Tech support is like a Saturday Night Live spoof skit,

only it is for real. Battery clip will last one month with regular use. You need to pry out

LIon Battery with a knife to get it out. Software is not Vista compatible. Absolute disaster in

every way.

Won't recognize data on SD card, door does not seal tight and lets water in, drops signals

in an open field with no cloud cover. Tech support is like a Saturday Night Live spoof skit,

only it is for real. Battery clip will last one month with regular use. You need to pry out

LIon Battery with a knife to get it out. Software is not Vista compatible. Absolute disaster in

every way.

1. Did you have a properly formatted SD to start with? The 500LE will do it for you. Mine does fine.

2. Mine has no signal problems You just may have a malfunction w/ your unit.

3. Mine has been submerged by accident and it did not let water in. I noticed the battery cover lower latch needs to be seated or it will bow the cover when you tighten the screw, That may be your water intrusion problem. and signal problem due to water contamination.

4. I ordered a Battery/ euro/ us charger from Magellan. They told me in English, that it was back ordered and would be the middle of Sept when I would receive it. I received it yesterday. Hmmm they were right on the money. I got an e-mail from them within an hour to ask if their service was satisfactory. It was. The CS rep I talked to may have been German. He had a good command of the English language but not perfect.

5.The battery fits tight because if it didn't, it would loose power, and that would be the complaint instead.

I'm not sure the battery is designed to be removed constantly, that is why it is rechargeable. If you do want to remove the battery a lot, take a knife or file and smooth the notches on the battery. NOTHING is Vista compatible, :D the whole industry is sandbagging on drivers for Vista, I have a grocery list of stuff that I am waiting on drivers for.

Am I saying Garmin, Lowrance, or others are better. They may be, I don't own them. My kids got me my 500LE for my birthday recently, It works where others say signal will be a problem. I have not had to send in for repairs so I don't know how they will react to that. I don't care for the little screw in data cable or the need to have the data cable just to charge it. I just bought the swivel base, it takes the screw out of the equation. I will just have to live w/ the data cable hanging there. I can see where the button design can lead to failure w/ a lot of use. When using the Geocache manager, it defaults to internal memory every time. So I have to switch to SD each time, that's kind of a pain.

Hopefully some of this will ease your "Absolute disaster in every way". I on the other hand am fairly satisfied w/ the performance. If Magellan wants the Tritons to be successful they will have to improve their support if they want to continue.

JMHO

I called Magellan yesterday about a problem with my exp.500, The membrane that covers the toggle switch had ripped again, it is now about 2 1/2 years old and out of warranty, I hoped That possibly I would be able to buy just the membrane and install it my self.

After explaining my problem the lady informed me I would have to send the unit in for repair, she quoted me a price of $17.59 parts and labor plus $6.00 for shipping, which I thought was very reasonable.

I then asked about upgrading to a exp xl and she said yes and it would be $239.00 for the upgrade which didn't sound too bad, but I told her I thought I'd wait for the Titans.

And yes she was foreign but I had no problem understanding her, all in all a pleasant conversation :D

quote nohocache

LIon Battery with a knife to get it out. Software is not Vista compatible. Absolute disaster in every way.

unquote

I've found almost 2000 caches with my 500,the only time I,ve had to remove the li-on battery is when I replaced an Sd card with a larger card,and it pops out very easy just using a a finger nail. The only time I can remember losing a signal was when I was in a underground garage.

All in all I've found the 500 to be a very accurate unit, my only complaint is with the toggle switch

Also I've been using the Euro 2.57 firmware since Feb of this year and have been very happy with it and the extras that come with it. :D:laughing:

Edited by vagabond