Coming soon Austism Awarness Geocoin

Mama Cache

autismawareness.jpg

I am very excited about this coin coming out soon at Hogwild Stuff! We were approached to do a coin for Autism Awareness by Chris of "LondonPuzzlers". I was very excited to do this because my Son Bryan is in the autistic spectrum. Autism is a spectrum disorder and ranges from very few abilities with no speech or communication to very educated, intelligent socially impaired people. Bryan has Aspergers syndrome. This is at the top of the spectrum. I can still remember reading a book that described my child perfectly. I cried for the loss of a “quick fix”, I was also relieved that I had come to the end of my diagnosis journey and we could now spend our time helping Bryan and his teachers understand each other. I adore my son, he looks at the world in such a unique way. This world would not be what it is today if not for a few very smart autistics. Every time we get online or use or computers there is one to thank somewhere!

1 in 150 children have autism spectrum disorder. Early child hood diagnosis and education is proving to be a great success.

When this coin is available, $1.00 of every coin will be donated to the Autism Society of America. Once the threshold of 250 coins is met, $2.00 for every coin after will be donated! I hope the Geocaching community can help fund research so that we can better understand this disorder.

Put even more importantly we would love to see everyone place this coin in caches and raise the awareness!

Great coin and great cause, Mama Cache! You know that I'll be purchasing some. Several students with autism have been in my classroom in the past few years. Only with research and awareness, was I able to successfully meet their needs. In return, they have taught me to look at things differently and more patiently. Again, awesome cause!

Nice coin MC. I'll be buying some.

Interesting that both look so much alike in their pattern. Are the puzzle pieces part of a national campaign?

Considering socal sells their coins weeks before they're ready, I'd be surprised if it's really "in production". They don't even have mint artwork to post.

Nice coin MC. I'll be buying some.

Interesting that both look so much alike in their pattern. Are the puzzle pieces part of a national campaign?

Yes, the colors and puzzle pieces are the Autism symbol. Refleclting the puzzling nature of the spectrum and how different it is for each individual. Also Autistic people are great puzzle solvers. They tend to see the shape of the puzzle rather than the picture on it.

Great job MC!! I volunteer doing hippotherapy. And some of our kids have autism. I didn't know anything about it until then. It seems to be really showing up more & more. I hope & pray that is because the testing has improved! The research needs to done. They don't know what causes it & they don't know how to treat it. I will buy!

Also Autistic people are great puzzle solvers. They tend to see the shape of the puzzle rather than the picture on it.

If that applies to me, does that mean I'm autistic? I'll get one of these to support the reasearch just in case. :):unsure:

Seriously though, a great cause Mama Cache. kudos. :unsure:

Tank and I have to have a few, and one for Justin(quick_at_em).For those who know him, he is a charming and wonderful child, but it has not always been so easy with him. He has Aspergers syndrome and it was frustrating on a daily basis, for him and us. With all the help that research has given us to this point, he has made huge jumps in how he and us face this and the world around us. Can't wait to get these and help the process of awareness. Please keep us up to date.

I'll order a couple of these as well. My daughter also as Asperger Syndrome and went through many of the same frustrations as Mama Cache.

It is interesting to see a few girls mentioned. It is so much more common in boys. I have always thought that lots of girls on the high end were being missed. I suspect my oldest daughter has a few strong traits. But not enough to be in the spectrum.

I am so excited everyone is excited and more information will be coming soon!

A long time ago I found a card which said:

"The world is a puzzle with a piece missing."

It is both a pun and a description of many things... I seem to go through phases of my life where I find spare puzzle pieces on the ground, yes like seeing pennies everywhere. Someone told me that pennies are left by angels. I wonder if puzzle pieces are too... to help us figure something out?

Enough bizarro philosophy... I keep spare puzzle pieces in the ashtray in my car.

BOT

I like this coin and will buy several when the opportunity presents itself !!

Very good article about the links to this disorder and why is is growing so very fast. Andwhy more research is needed. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

This is one of the most interesting and informational articles we have read in a while. Each paragraph had us nodding our heads. I am so glad that you are tryign to raise awareness, it will help so many of our childern that now don't have a strong voice to say "it's not just me". Thanks again.

Wow.....When I saw this I was like oh no there goes my coin idea. But mine is different. I love this coin and the idea of it. I work with people that are mential retarted and almost all of them have autism. My bestfriends son has autism. I hope I get a chance to buy a few of these coins. Would be cool if there is a coin/pin set. I need to reset up my email through them since I have a new email and internet provider now. Great job on the coin I pray you raise alot of money off of this coin.

I'm treading as carefully as my rather shaky sense of tact allows here. I don't wish to criticise anybody's coin design 'cos it ain't my place but I just wanted to make an observation on the use of the puzzle-piece motif and the way it can be seen by large parts of the autistic community.

The problem is that it presents us as some kind of enigma, when really we're not. There's no great mystery to be solved, we are people who, like all others, need to be understood for who and what we are and allowed to develop and thrive into our true selves. That's not solving a puzzle, it's parenting.

Anyway, like I said, it's not my place to tell others how to design their coins and I don't want this post to be seen as such, I just wanted to air an alternative opinion on the subject of the puzzle-piece as an autism awareness symbol. Sorry if I stood on any toes. :lol:

JeremyR

An autistic cacher.

That is cool Jeramy. As a mother with an Aspergers kid, I can tell you that getting the diagnosis was like a puzzle coming together. I did not select the colors or the design for autism awareness but I do recognize it when ever I see it. I think they are bright and vibrant and if they can bring a little notice to a group of misunderstood people, than I am for it. Many many people still think that autism is just kids that don't talk and flap their hands in a corner. What ever it takes to help the world understand there is a whole spectrum of people, some of who run multibillion dollar computer companies, is good by me.

I got the samples in hand today and I have to say, the are just wonderful! Not a bad finish or metal among them! It will be a tough choice!

Sales date will be announced soon.

The problem is that it presents us as some kind of enigma, when really we're not. There's no great mystery to be solved, we are people who, like all others, need to be understood for who and what we are and allowed to develop and thrive into our true selves. That's not solving a puzzle, it's parenting.

JeremyR

An autistic cacher.

I completely agree with you, Jeremy. I'll present another idea, as Mama Cache did. My daughter has Asperger's as well, and though she has most of the symptoms, many of the symptoms have nothing to do with each other (i.e. completely disorganized, but loves to line up her earrings in perfect order). These symptoms (pieces of the puzzle) don't seem to have anything to do with each other, but when you put them together, you can see the whole picture.

However, whoever designed the logo for autism (not the geocoin, as Mama Cache was just using the most recognizable symbol) thought about the design a bit too hard. I see the logo the same as you. And my child is NOT a mystery!