Question about archived listing

Ok I know of an archived listing that the container is prob still there as the owner hasn't been around...is it proper to go and remove this container ? I hate to think about leaving something that people are not looking for and it just be "trash". The owner hasn't signed in since may of 2006.

edited to add

it was only one of those gladware conts to begin with, when we found it it was soaking wet with an inch of water in it.

Edited by RCDispatchersx2

Do it!

:cool:

What I did when I found an archived cache was stick a new log in it and relist it with the same info. A lot of local cachers have really appreciated it. It also meant I didn't have to pack it back out...

Initially, I was going to adopt it, but it turns out the cache owner needs to unarchive a cache before it can be adopted, which won't happen if the owner has been MIA for over a year.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to check on it as it is away from here, but close enough where I could place a new cache if need be and do maintance...if it looks like people are still finding it, I will do more research into other sites. I will have to make another trip through the area in about a month so I can decide then as to what to do with it.

I just don't know

like what briansnat said, if its registered on another site, they will replace it as if it had been muggled. so, in the end, ide play it safe and retrieve it.

There's something wrong with that logic, but I can't quite put my finger on it. :)

That is a curious line of reasoning.

Sorta like saying that letterboxers might remove goocaches because they're not on their site?

It is a tough question. If it's archived and abandoned, yes, then it's trash and should be removed. And this sounds like the case for OP. I've removed two such caches on TB rescue missions. Both multis with the first stage missing, and not replaced. One was in good condition. The other had been muggled. On the other hand, I went on another TB rescue mission, at a cache archived last fall. It turns out that the TB had already been rescued, but not logged out. (Guess that means that the rescuer still has it in his/her paws?) Traditional cache, still in good condition. Might be listed somewhere else (though I doubt it for the reason for which it had been archived.) That one I left.

It might seem that many, if not most, geocachers do not clean up their geotrash.

Use common sense, and let your conscience be your guide. I would have no compunctions about CITOing the cache from the OP's description.

i guess what i was trying to say, is that, if its on another site, but archived on this one, and you didnt know about it being on another site, then you could go get it just in case its not on another site. by doing this, you would remove trash, unless its on another site. and if it is another site, then they willl replace it if it si missing. does that make sense?

Ok I know of an archived listing that the container is prob still there as the owner hasn't been around...is it proper to go and remove this container ? I hate to think about leaving something that people are not looking for and it just be "trash". The owner hasn't signed in since may of 2006.

edited to add

it was only one of those gladware conts to begin with, when we found it it was soaking wet with an inch of water in it.

If it's gladware with water in it then I would retrieve it. I doubt that it would be listed elsewhere. Make sure you post a note on the page indicating that it was removed.