We searched out our first cache today!..NOT GOOD!

olskool53

Well after a lot of prep(not enough!) I took the family on our first cache hunt. We picked a kid friendly one in a local state forest, very easy rite......? Well we found the site....but not the cache.....i started to search when i felt a burning on my leg?...............Yellow Jackets :cool: ! I ran as fast as i could and riped off my shirt and shorts..( yes..they flew up my shorts!) on the trail :cool: ! Lucky for us our 4 kids received no stings. I knew I had to get to the truck to get my benadryl. Got there, don't know how.....no benedryl! I proceeded to go into anaphylactic shock :cool: ! Not good , my wife called 911 and they got there just in time! My throat was closing fast and my blood pressure was something like 80/30! I passed out and awoke in the ER(about 50 minutes)! By the grace of god ... I AM OK! 6 hrs in the ER! Keep in mind this could only happen to me! LMAO!

Just be careful out there! I was lucky today another minute or to and who knows.....................

Yikes, Olskool; not exactly a great start; glad you're doing OK and that the kids didn't get attacked.

Benedryl? Is this perhaps something everyone should have along just in case? I'm not an allergy sufferer that I know of, but being it's an over the counter med, why not have it along just in case? I've had bee stings, but only single ones; multiple stings could be a different story :cool:

Well, glad you are okay first of all. Secondly, please post a log at this cache site you visited for future cachers to be aware that there could be a possbile nest nearby. I know I would appreciate it since I am sensitive to stings also. Don't give up on caching, like the other poster said, it could have happened anywhere.

Wow. Glad you're OK.

Don't mean to sound like scold, but if you're allergic you really shouldn't be going anywhere outdoors without that EpiPen.

Could have happened doing anything though. Geocaching, playing Frisbee in the park or walking the dog.

Thanks for the advise! First off I have NEVER been allergic Until today!!! And i am not Bashing, we will go out next weekend!

Scary about a first time allergic reaction. If you haven't had one before how would you know to carry an Epi-pen? They're a prescription item, I don't know that you could even get one.

I was out trying to FTF three new hides, and on the first one I stepped directly on a nest in the palmettos - got badly stung and discovered that properly motivated, I still have sprint speed. Abandoned that hunt and went on out after the other two.

Then just to prove the level of addiction I could NOT just go back by the one with the yellow jackets - NO. I had to sneak in cautiously from a different direction and find the thing. Dumb really. The cache owner did move it after my log came in.

log

Never heard of benedryl for bee stings. Think maybe I'll get some just to have on hand. I'm not allergic, but each time I get stung the reaction is worse.

Just had a poster log that they found an in ground bees' nest looking for my cache. I don't think it was right near cache (about 20feet away)- they said they were bushwacking in to second clue from first. Of course knowing people who can die from a bee sting I was worried about them. They said they were ok.

I put a note on the cache page and will eventually move the cache although how can you be sure where bees are located?

Glad you weren't caching alone. Bees/wasps are a hazard/danger every geocacher needs to take into consideration when caching- bee careful -bee prepared. I agree with the others get an epipen.

Edited by Luckless
I agree with the others get an epipen.

My nephew is allergic and doesn't go outdoors without one in his pocket. It's not something to fool around with.

I read in the paper about a local woman who was gardening in her backyard and was stung. She ran to the house to get her EpiPen. She didn't make it.

That sucks man. I mowed over a nest of ground wasps (aka mud wasps) once. Talk about a funny sight.

My wife said she heard the mower stop, followed by me screaming like a school girl and running across the yard swatting at nothing and doing some weird hop-stepping all over the yard.

I laugh now, but I know the panic you felt and the desprate attempt to get to safety. Glad you're ok.

BTW- I keep hornet spray in my cache bag, but never thought of keeping benadryl. *adding it now*

Wow. Glad you're OK.

Don't mean to sound like scold, but if you're allergic you really shouldn't be going anywhere outdoors without that EpiPen.

Could have happened doing anything though. Geocaching, playing Frisbee in the park or walking the dog.

Thanks for the advise! First off I have NEVER been allergic Until today!!! And i am not Bashing, we will go out next weekend!

Yikes! That is one rough way to find out! Glad to hear you made it through hopefully to cache another day.

DCC

I am so glad you are ok. I am extremely allergic to bees. I ALWAYS carry 2 Epipens. I knew before starting Geocaching I was allergic.

For those who don't know, Benadryl is an anti-histamine. It helps to SLOW DOWN a reaction to a allergen.

I carry two Epipens because I am usually caching more than one hour away from a hospital. I need more Epi to get to an ER because of distance and the drugs half life. (half life equals how long it takes for half the med to be metabolized and cleared out of your body)

If allergic (and know it), use Epipen first, then take Benadryl. After that make your way to the ER. Epinepherine is a strong medicine, it can and will increase your heart rate (among other side effects). Epi is, after all Adrenaline. IF used you must always follow up with a visit to the ER for monitoring. I'm not just saying that because I am an ER nurse and want to meet cachers, I would rather meet cachers at a cache site. :)

Just the 411.

Keep hunting for caches though, I have and I am truly addicted.

Glad all is well but you got me thiniking when you say it's your first reaction.

Dad was never allergic to bee stings either until he joined the army. Then he was stung by a single bee and nearly died from it, but after that he wasn't allergic to them anymore.

His theory was that all the shots the army gave him were the root cause of the reaction and once those drugs were out of his system he was back to normal.

I don't suppose you've had any shots recently have you?

Wow, I'm glad you're OK! You certainly have a great attitude about it!

I hope the ER gave you a prescription for the Epi-Pen. If you get the double pack, you should get a trainer with it. It's a handy little thing.

Also, Benadryl now makes strips that are just like the Listerine breath strips. Each strip is the equivalent of 2tsp of Benadryl, which is the normal dose for an adult. They're very compact to carry and work quickly.

I hope the ER gave you a prescription for the Epi-Pen. If you get the double pack, you should get a trainer with it. It's a handy little thing.

Also, Benadryl now makes strips that are just like the Listerine breath strips. Each strip is the equivalent of 2tsp of Benadryl, which is the normal dose for an adult. They're very compact to carry and work quickly.

Yes I picked up my Epi Pens yesterday! And that's interesting about the benadryl strips, I was wondering how i was going to Cary the pills in my wallet?

Thanks for the kind words guys! Yes it was our first hunt, but i am not giving up! My kids ........That's another story, there a little freaked out. But they will be OK, it's a great lesson for them and all of us that when were in the outdoors ..to always be prepared! And like i told my 6 year old son they(bees) were only defending there home!

Yes I picked up my Epi Pens yesterday! And that's interesting about the benadryl strips, I was wondering how i was going to Cary the pills in my wallet?

Thanks for the kind words guys! Yes it was our first hunt, but i am not giving up! My kids ........That's another story, there a little freaked out. But they will be OK, it's a great lesson for them and all of us that when were in the outdoors ..to always be prepared! And like i told my 6 year old son they(bees) were only defending there home!

I look forward to the frost. I am searching for bees / wasps these days while looking for the cache. Just yesterday, in cool wet weather, I came across a nest but didn't get stung (lucky!). I had an EpiPen and Benadryl with me. I didn't find the cache either. If you don't carry a backpack / fannypack / purse, how do guys carry these things?

Also, keep your expired ones... they have a short shelf life (~ 1 year). They might not be as effective but better than nothing.

I look forward to the frost. I am searching for bees / wasps these days while looking for the cache. Just yesterday, in cool wet weather, I came across a nest but didn't get stung (lucky!). I had an EpiPen and Benadryl with me. I didn't find the cache either. If you don't carry a backpack / fannypack / purse, how do guys carry these things?

Also, keep your expired ones... they have a short shelf life (~ 1 year). They might not be as effective but better than nothing.

There are belts that are designed to carry an epi-pen. They have a pouch on them to hold the pen. I've seen them at CVS, so I imagine that you can find them at any drug store or Wal Mart. Or just wear cargo pants and put the pen in one of the bigger cargo pockets. The Benadryl strips are flat, so you can slip a few in your pocket or wallet, in case of emergency.

Oh my! I'm glad you're ok. I hope this doesn't discourage you from future hunts, though. If you're allergic, pack an EpiPen around with you.

If you are not allergic then don't get too worried, I once knocked a 12 inch hive off a deck with a JD GS25 walk mower, I had more than 50 stings and lived. My leg was huge and very sore for a few days though.

I have been stung many times; almost no issues except for two weeks ago I was biking up a steep hill and felt something in my mouth, before I spit it out it got me, on the tongue. My tongue swelled to something like walnut size, At the ER they said that I would live and not to bother them ever again for a sting, since I am not allergic to that. That's government health care for ya!

If allergies are a risk for you, it is up to you to setup a first aid kit or pack for geocaching.

Misha

This is a cache link

Check out the bees that took residence just above where my cache was originally located. A cacher reported that they formed a mass 4 feet by 6 feet. Wonder how many more are inside the walls of this abandoned building. One cacher was stung around the corner from the hive before a local cacher moved the cache out of harm's way for me.

Our son sometimes reacts to fire ants with a LARGE swelling (about baseball size), but not always. The allergist agreed that having an epi-pen would be a good idea. He takes it with him when he is camping, but unfortunately, we often forget when we are out hiking. He hasn't reacted to them like that for a few years, though, fortunately. He has never had a reaction where he needed the epi-pen, though.

A year or so ago, we were searching for a cache near our home, when we saw a bird house in a tree. Remembering that sometimes the cache is in the bird house, he tried to reach up for it. As he was jostling it, I saw wasps coming out of the hole. I tried to warn him, but it was too late. We both got stung for our search efforts. He reacted with a large swelling (baseball size), but mine was just a reddish streak and the usual itching/pain. Of course, he didn't have the epi-pen with him! We were just 15 minutes from our car, and we quickly headed home. If necessary, the trail was near a friend's house, so we could have gotten assistance there.

MORAL... we need to remember the epi-pen on ANY hike, even a short one near the house.