Females - Solo Caching, how to stay safe

leftover

Alright let me start this off that I'm a solo female cacher, and where I live the most dangerous thing I can legally carry is a pocket knife. If you want to discuss carrying firearms while caching, check out this thread. If you want to see what already has been discussed back in 2005 about women caching alone and lots of firearm talk in between, check this thread out.

Now that that's out the way, here's what I've come up with as a list of things I now carry. (after looking around that previous thread in 2005 and other threads here in there).

1) Phone - this is more if I fall and break a leg I'd think

2) miscellaneous first aid items - as above

3) pocket knife - You never know when you might need one, not that my dinky little thing would do anything against an attacker, who is probably carrying a larger illegal knife.

4) Whistle - started carrying this one after seeing it mentioned, good way to call for help without yelling yourself hoarse

5) Dogs. Unfortunately mine are tiny (poodle, and a cocker mix) and old (11 and 14 respectively). If I get further into the sport I may consider purchasing a larger outdoorsy type dog like a German Shepard to take caching with me. As it is now I take these grandmas only on the easier caches.

As for walking sticks, the areas I'm caching (hiking type woods) there are plenty of sticks available, nice and sturdy.

The most dangerous thing I could come across around here is a bad fall, a lynx (terribly shy creatures), or ...dundundun.... another human. I don't think I'll ever have trouble, but it's best to be mentally prepared. If listening to my ipod I leave one ear bud off. Look around at all times and keep in check anybody who seems suspicious. Trust my gut feelings at all times.

If actually attacked I hope to keep my cool and yell my head off, blow the whistle, and run the heck away. I'm not terribly small or dainty, so if I got tackled I could hopefully land a blow that will get me some time to keep running/yelling. Though if jumped by a 6 foot 3, 250 pound mass I have no idea what I'd do. Try and dodge I guess :cool:

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but any advice that people have for appearing to be a less than enticing target would be appreciated. I'm not scared enough to stay home, but it always helps to go in with more ideas than less :cool: I might consider taking some sort of self defense class as well, though I'm hard pressed to find time for geocaching between work and college as it is! Maybe I could squeeze it in on weekends I don't have school :cool:

Barring all this, if any other experienced solo female cachers (or men too) have any advice, stories, or anything else lets start up a new topic without everyone resorting to firearms. Remember, I can never legally own one where I am, so its a moot point.

It's been 12 years since I've been to Germany so I'm not up on all the laws any more on what is considered legal or not. Can you carry pepper spray or mace?

I think one of the best thinks to do is always show confidence in what you are doing. If you are timid and shy people tend to be able to feed off of that and will be able to exploit it. If you are a confident person you will be able to get by. I came across a group of "thugs" recently deep in the woods along a river bank. Instead of walking up and surprising them I said hello as I was approaching. Talked to them for a couple seconds and went on my way. Keeping your cool or your composure will get you a long way. They never bothered me a bit. And I'm not a big person at all.

A good walking stick made of sturdy wood can help. But, you need to be prepared to use it. And know how to. Of course, if you do feel at risk in going into an area please go with a friend if at all possible.

It's been 12 years since I've been to Germany so I'm not up on all the laws any more on what is considered legal or not. Can you carry pepper spray or mace?

I'm not up to my German laws for the most part, and dubious as wikipedia is I found this article that mentions legality in Germany.

In Germany privately owned pepper spray may fall into two different categories. Sprays that bear the test mark of the Materialprüfungsanstalt[10] may be owned and carried solely for the purpose of defense against animals. Such sprays are not legally considered as weapons. Sprays that do not bear this test mark are classified as prohibited weapons. It is nevertheless strictly prohibited to carry pepper spray at (or on the way to and from) demonstrations - whether it bears a test mark or not.

So I suppose I COULD carry this, and just say it's for any wild beasties I may come across. I wouldn't have any idea where to buy any though, I just live here, and don't know a lick of the language :cool: I'll have to ask around at work.

I agree that a hiking staff made of a strong hardwood is an excellent hiking tool and makes a very effective defensive weapon if you know how to use it. I have one made of mesquite that is very good. Even a modern aluminum one can be helpful.

If bear spray, a powerful pepper spray for bears, is legal there I'd suggest carrying it. That stuff can disable a man in nothing flat from a pretty good distance. Of course it'll get you too if sprayed upwind.

The whistle is an excellent idea and I never go into the woods without one as they're great for warning any local bears that you are there. Not many human attackers want that kind of attention drawn to them.

A large dog would surely discourage most people from messing with you.

In the end the best defense is to pay close attention to your surroundings and always remain alert.

*edited for typo

Edited by GPSTrucker

I am a travel nurse, part time in addition to my full time ER job. Traveling to do 13 week contracts in WY, CO NE and in Nov to Hawaii (I'll quit my regular job to do my 6 month contract here, It's Hawaii!!!)

This leaves me as a solo female cacher.. cause my Team (hubby and kids) are in our hometown.

WY. is not heavily populated (nah, really only slightly more than a half million people in the entire state) so I really don't have to worry about too many people while caching in the wide open spaces.

While in towns.. I carry a cell phone, a whistle, pepper spray, and a multi tool (with a knife). Don't plan on ever having to use the knife on a person. You won't get a chance to use it if someone sneaks up on you from behind. I try to stay alert to my surroundings. I say try, because it's hard to really concentrate on other people when the thrill of the hunt overcomes me.

In the open spaces I also carry a bunch of 1st aid supplies, a PLB, (a emergency personal location beacon) food and water... ect.

In CO. it's a whole different story. If I cache in Denver.. I do always expect someone to come along at any given moment.. and I can really move fast if I have to. If someone jumps me, then it happens. I am not going to stop doing what I love out of fear. I can just try to be prepared.

What I have found to work well, is to go to events with my Team. I meet local cachers.. and can arrange to go caching with them when I am in their towns or area of caching. I get to know them well before caching with them, and I have had a great time caching this way.

I do carry at times... but that is another thread.

Phew, tasers, mace, pepper spray. Barring the legality of these (I really have no idea, and my google searches are turning up dry. I'll have to ask around). I was more interested in this thread detailing tips to make one less of a target. Ways to carry oneself, how to avoid conflict, that sort. I really don't feel comfortable zapping someone (though if it came to it I'd probably be grateful to have the taser).

I'm a strong believer that in sketchy situations, how you carry yourself, and how you react is the best recourse. Though I myself have no experience in these matters, I bet there are many ladies who do know. Barring an insane psychopath out in the woods I'm sure if I ever encountered a group of drunken teenagers (quite possible, I've already stumbled on one cache area that was absolutely LITTERED with bottles of all types, and much trash to boot) there are ways on how I could deck out without harm to myself and others, and without drawing any undue attention. In the best case scenario anyone I encounter out in the woods who wants to inflict some sort of harm on me won't be in as good as shape as me, so I could outrun them. Especially up and down hills, as I've been doing that tons (Trails? What trails? I'm pretty sure it's a straight line towards the cache! Oh don't mind the massive hill!)

Edited by leftover

"In the best case scenario anyone I encounter out in the woods who wants to inflict some sort of harm on me won't be in as good as shape as me, so I could outrun them. Especially up and down hills, as I've been doing that tons (Trails? What trails? I'm pretty sure it's a straight line towards the cache! Oh don't mind the massive hill!)"

Uh ya.....try that and let us know how it works out, will you?

I would skip the pocket knife for a multi-tool, they are much more useful though heavier. Worn on the belt, though, they are pretty easily forgotten until needed. In your hand and unopened it can lend weight to a punch or the butt end can do a lot of damage in a hammer strike.

On the subject of a defensive knife, a very small knife can be very effective in close quarters. Sure, a big knife is sexy on the big screen, but a small 2" knife is very effective if you know how to use it. I wouldn't dismiss it unless you are unwilling to practice with it just like you practice with a firearm.

Also, don't dismiss a hefty walking stick. It is very versatile well beyond self defense. The primary use is of course steadying yourself as you hike, cross streams, etc. You can also use it to poke through debris to find that cache, brush aside leaves and limbs to get a better look, poke in holes instead of risking your hand, or even use it as a step to reach the bottom limb of a tree. In self defense, swinging it like a club can do a lot of damage. Just the sight of it could cause someone to not even contemplate making a move.

But the most important weapon is your mind. Train it.

Uh ya.....try that and let us know how it works out, will you?

I'm just joking around, a little levity in the light of a serious topic. But seriously, I am going to investigate my legal options for mace and tasers, I hadn't even thought of them. I am still interested in hearing thoughts on defusing the matter before it reaches to the point where I would have to resort to one of those.

edit: typo

Edited by leftover

If you don't mind learning a new skill, you could try throwing Knives. You did say knives were legal, and they aren't very big.

throwing-knifes.jpg

Even in places where KNIVES are legal, 'THROWING' knives are often illegal. Here in WA they are classified the same as throwing stars and are a felony to have. I can carry a .45 on my side, but I can't have a throwing knife.

1) Phone - this is more if I fall and break a leg I'd think

2) miscellaneous first aid items - as above

3) pocket knife - You never know when you might need one, not that my dinky little thing would do anything against an attacker, who is probably carrying a larger illegal knife.

4) Whistle - started carrying this one after seeing it mentioned, good way to call for help without yelling yourself hoarse

5) Dogs. Unfortunately mine are tiny (poodle, and a cocker mix) and old (11 and 14 respectively). If I get further into the sport I may consider purchasing a larger outdoorsy type dog like a German Shepard to take caching with me. As it is now I take these grandmas only on the easier caches.

As for walking sticks, the areas I'm caching (hiking type woods) there are plenty of sticks available, nice and sturdy.

Look around at all times and keep in check anybody who seems suspicious. Trust my gut feelings at all times.

If actually attacked I hope to keep my cool and yell my head off, blow the whistle, and run the heck away. I'm not terribly small or dainty, so if I got tackled I could hopefully land a blow that will get me some time to keep running/yelling. Though if jumped by a 6 foot 3, 250 pound mass I have no idea what I'd do. Try and dodge I guess :cool:

I would skip the pocket knife for a multi-tool, they are much more useful though heavier. Worn on the belt, though, they are pretty easily forgotten until needed. In your hand and unopened it can lend weight to a punch or the butt end can do a lot of damage in a hammer strike.On the subject of a defensive knife, a very small knife can be very effective in close quarters. Sure, a big knife is sexy on the big screen, but a small 2" knife is very effective if you know how to use it. I wouldn't dismiss it unless you are unwilling to practice with it just like you practice with a firearm.

Also, don't dismiss a hefty walking stick. It is very versatile well beyond self defense. The primary use is of course steadying yourself as you hike, cross streams, etc. You can also use it to poke through debris to find that cache, brush aside leaves and limbs to get a better look, poke in holes instead of risking your hand, or even use it as a step to reach the bottom limb of a tree. In self defense, swinging it like a club can do a lot of damage. Just the sight of it could cause someone to not even contemplate making a move.

But the most important weapon is your mind. Train it.

If you don't mind learning a new skill, you could try throwing Knives. You did say knives were legal, and they aren't very big.

throwing-knifes.jpg

Okay let me help you out here. Everything you said of having is good. But let me tell you it really doesn't matter what kind of dog you have. When you are walking your dog and you are attacked it will fight for you to save you. Now to let you know hitting a guy below the belt most of the time doesn't work. It will piss them off even more. And it doesn't matter what the size of the person they can come down. Get a good sturdy heavy enough for you to carry. It can be used for several things.

Now for your commitment CoyoteRed. You have never been in a real fight have you? You put that multi tool in your hand thinking its going to give weight to your punch. :cool: What are you on drugs!? :cool: Sorry. That can and will break your knuckles or hand. Then what would you do with only one hand?

Now if you said a set of keys between your fingers and to at jab the eyes or throat or even scrapping across the face. I would say very good idea. Now I do carry a multi tool with me when I cache. But it is not for defence it is for others things I might need to use while caching.

Just remember your environment at all times. Just keep you head and carry yourself like you know what you are doing and anyone messes with you you will make them sorry they did. The damage you can do with the simple stuff you can carry with you caching is remarkable. So if you would like to know how to use things you carry let me know and I will tell you how to use it.

Edit to add:

Now the throwing knives I say NO. If you miss which would be a real good chance you will. They can turn and use them on you.

Edited by Big Bear TC

For the life of me, I can't see a reason for a female in this day and age hiking, bike riding, geocaching or whatever, in relatively isolated locations. I don't care what defensive skills and weapons you might be carryng. Though I admit packing a 9mm semi-auto in plain view would likely deter a high percentage of potential attackers. I also believe that some would consider it a challenge.

All in all................why do it? There are ubran areas that I would not purposefully drive thru in daylight hours much less after dark. Areas where having a flat tire can result in life endangering encounters with the local inhabitants are wise to avoid.

Individual females testing their luck in similar situations is not very smart.

Edited by Team Cotati

After accidentally stumbling upon someone's private property and having the owner come after me, albeit very slowly with a sawed off sledgehammer in his hands saying, "come here honey," :cool: I immediately went home and bought a "pager" style container of pepperspray. I got it on the internet, just Google pepperspray and you will see plenty. When I am out alone in the woods, I always take three things, my dog (even if they are not supposed to be on the trails = I'd rather get a ticket than get attacked), my cell phone and my pepper spray. I live in a very "safe" urban area, but just this past summer in neighboring communities two women have been sexually assaulted on bike trails. Just having my little dog along offer some form of comfort although I doubt she could barely bite through someone's pants legs and would probably head for the car if somebody came after me! :cool:

Edited by lonesumdove

For the life of me, I can't see a reason for a female in this day and age hiking, bike riding, geocaching or whatever, in relatively isolated locations. I don't care what defensive skills and weapons you might be carryng. Though I admit packing a 9mm semi-auto in plain view would likely deter a high percentage of potential attackers. I also believe that some would consider it a challenge.

All in all................why do it? There are ubran areas that I would not purposefully drive thru in daylight hours much less after dark. Areas where having a flat tire can result in life endangering encounters with the local inhabitants are wise to avoid.

I can think of some urban areas alot more dangerous than the country side.

As for females going out by themselves, if the area is too 'dangerous' for a female to be then it is probalby just as 'dangerous' for a male to be there by themselves.

My bigest concern on going to remote areas by yourself would be getting help if you get hurt or stuck, especially if there is no cellphone cover. Also when I go out by mself I tell my husband which caches I intend looking for if they are not urban ones.

You have never been in a real fight have you? You put that multi tool in your hand thinking its going to give weight to your punch. :cool: What are you on drugs!? :cool: Sorry. That can and will break your knuckles or hand. Then what would you do with only one hand?
It's the same concept as a roll of quarters. And I won't say the added weight won't break a knuckle or the long bones in your hand. OTOH, (so to speak) you can still get a boxer's fracture even without any added weight in your hand. This generally happens when the person doesn't know how to throw a punch and is usually the ring finger or little finger knuckles. Remember my advise about training?

Additionally, as someone who has broken knuckles it certainly didn't slow me down enough that I couldn't use the hand. Painful? Yes. Incapacitating? Hardly.

Now if you said a set of keys between your fingers and to at jab the eyes or throat or even scrapping across the face. I would say very good idea.

Wait a minute. A kick in the groin just ticks them off, yet a scratch across the face works? :cool:

I think this makes one thing very clear if nothing else. These are geocaching forums and not self defense forums. The advise seen here reflects this.

I try to take either my sister or husband along when I go caching, but probably end up going alone about half the time. Most of the time I'm not at all nervous about it, but if I end up somewhere that I am not comfortable being alone, I just leave. No shame in a DNF or even not trying to look when you don't feel safe.

I don't carry any weapons and wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. I do carry my cell phone, but that would likely only be useful in case of an accident. I suppose investing in a self defense class could be useful if you did get attacked-- I've never had a class.

I think in many cases you are correct about body language being a big factor in how much trouble people give you. But I also think that if you are alone in a secluded area and someone is intent on attacking, you might not be able to do much. Even if you are carrying a gun/knife/tazer/etc, you would have to already have it out and be on the alert for it to be of any possible help.

excuse me?

did this stray over from a thread on what's really offensive?

i live, hike, bike (road and mountain), paddle, ski, and snowshoe alone. i have no dog. when i drive i am usually alone. sometimes i commute by bike (25 miles each way).

i am a small woman and do not run fast, even when i'm in good shape.

i often cache alone, sleeping in my car for days at a time.

i have come across meth labs, moose wallows, fallen into swamps up to my armpits in winter temperatures, fallen onto rocks head down, locked my keys in my car after stripping down to my inside layers during a snowstorm, gotten stuck, met bear, been run over by a truck, been struck by lightning, hiked or skated multiple miles while bleeding freely, gotten dehydrated, contracted lyme and giardia, gotten stalked and detained by police.

i can bulid a fire in the rain. i have eaten roadkill. i know what earthworms taste like. i know that cattails are tasty and nutritious. i know how to make stone knives. i can crack a vigenere by hand, and recognize a playfair on sight. i give gifts to strangers. i share my food with the homeless. i have turned left on a bicycle in traffic at forty miles and hour while applying lip balm.

i have escaped death more times than i can count and i have stared the devil himself in the face.

i do not carry a weapon.

i am not afraid.

excuse me?

i live, hike, bike (road and mountain), paddle, ski, and snowshoe alone. i have no dog. when i drive i am usually alone. sometimes i commute by bike (25 miles each way).

i have come across meth labs, moose wallows, fallen into swamps up to my armpits in winter temperatures, fallen onto rocks head down, locked my keys in my car after stripping down to my inside layers during a snowstorm, gotten stuck, met bear, been run over by a truck, been struck by lightning, hiked or skated multiple miles while bleeding freely, gotten dehydrated, contracted lyme and giardia, gotten stalked and detained by police.

i can bulid a fire in the rain. i have eaten roadkill. i know what earthworms taste like. i know that cattails are tasty and nutritious. i know how to make stone knives. i can crack a vigenere by hand, and recognize a playfair on sight. i give gifts to strangers. i share my food with the homeless. i have turned left on a bicycle in traffic at forty miles and hour while applying lip balm.

i have escaped death more times than i can count and i have stared the devil himself in the face.

i do not carry a weapon.

i am not afraid.

You forgot to mention that you are bad. :)

This may be obvious but always leave a note in your car and hotel room about where you are, where you went, and when you left. Probably not very practical in everyday life but if you are traveling it is very important.

that'd only be practical if i knew where i was going or when i intended to be back.

if you read some of my logs you get the impression that i load up PQs for three states and wander around with little or no plan for a week at a time.

hotel room? i sleep in my car. i pay by cash. i wash with water i heat on a single burner stove. often when i leave home i have only the vaguest idea of which direction i will be travelling in, or how far i will go.

in one week i managed to do this in VT, NH, MA, CT, NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV, and PA. i left the house on a friday morning and didn't come home til tuesday next.

my idea of safety precautions is to put on an orange hat if i hear gunshots.

once i went to harrisburg because all of a sudden i decided that i wanted to take a picture of a sign on interstate 83 there. i had to do it; i was working on a slideshow that used a song whose text in part includes the words "driving down interstate 83 past harrisburg".

that night i slept in a parking lot in north jersey.

i am having a marvelous time.

and i am not dead yet.

In my experience, this is an issue that does not know gender or location as its boundaries. I've felt threatened out in the middle of nowhere, and in urban locations. I've either kept on driving, or I've made a quick beeline back to my car.

It was in a well-kept suburban park where I learned my lessons. I learned never to ignore my instinct to get out. I did that, and went back into the woods for the park's second cache instead of getting in my car. I learned never to keep so focused on finding the cache that I ignored my surroundings. I did that, and was surprised to look up from the logbook and seeing someone watching me. I learned that even a good bushwacking geocacher cannot outrun a determined pursuer. Ultimately I learned that a left uppercut, followed by a quarter mile sprint, is a very effective self-defense combination.

I will not make those mistakes again. I now carry pepper spray and either a metal hiking pole or a wooden staff. I am more likely to leave an area if I don't feel safe. I am more aware of my surroundings. Nothing beats awareness and common sense.

I am disappointed by several of the posts in this thread. I hope that mine is helpful to the OP.

I am disappointed by several of the posts in this thread. I hope that mine is helpful to the OP.

i hope i don't disappoint you.

it's a choice i make, not to be afraid.

i have stared the devil in the eye and found him wanting. in the end when i am threatened by a person (as happens sometimes), i draw myself up to my full height and ask him: "are you prepared to kill me? are you prepared to change your life forever? are you prepared for me to hurt you? i don't care if i kill us both. i am not afraid."

my appearance of blithe passage through adventure is just that: appearance. it is a conscious choice to go unarmed into the darkness and not be afraid. it is my way of fighting back.

...here's what I've come up with as a list of things I now carry.

...If listening to my ipod I leave one ear bud off.

...here's what I've come up with as a list of things I now carry.

...If listening to my ipod I leave one ear bud off.

The iPod strikes me as too great a distraction while walking trails no matter what the reason for walking those trails.

One earbud off does not give you 50% awareness. One earbud on gets you far more than 50% distracted. Listening to music takes you into the music and away from your surroundings. iPods, to an observer, any observer, tells them that you are not paying full attention to your physical surroundings.

No ipod on might give you more protection than anything else listed here, with the possible exception of the comments about displaying confidence. I would think, also, that an ipod might dampen your potential intuition about a place being dangerous as noted in the personal experience discussed earlier.

And... (I apologize for the following personal preference) but why go out on a trail, or a bike path, or even a city street, and then retreat into another world, if only even a partial retreat?

flask, your post didn't disappoint me. You usually have interesting things to say, and I admire your perspective and writing style. You shared your opinions but didn't belittle anyone else's. Although our views differ somewhat, I enjoyed reading about your approach to the issue. :)

oh, good.

*exhale*

for some reason i care what you think.

i do not recommend my approach in general, but it is mine and it is a way of life, not a careless mistake in a dark parking lot.

there is much about my life that is already dark and frightening; i refuse to give in.

once i went after a would-be assailant with an axe i made myself. he was fast enough to get away. when he realized that i knew who he was and where he lived, he moved to a different state. he did not know that he had moved to my hometown.

i am still here.

This may be obvious but always leave a note in your car and hotel room about where you are, where you went, and when you left. Probably not very practical in everyday life but if you are traveling it is very important.

that'd only be practical if i knew where i was going or when i intended to be back.

if you read some of my logs you get the impression that i load up PQs for three states and wander around with little or no plan for a week at a time.

hotel room? i sleep in my car. i pay by cash. i wash with water i heat on a single burner stove. often when i leave home i have only the vaguest idea of which direction i will be travelling in, or how far i will go.

in one week i managed to do this in VT, NH, MA, CT, NJ, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV, and PA. i left the house on a friday morning and didn't come home til tuesday next.

once i went to harrisburg because all of a sudden i decided that i wanted to take a picture of a sign on interstate 83 there. i had to do it; i was working on a slideshow that used a song whose text in part includes the words "driving down interstate 83 past harrisburg".

and i am not dead yet.

I find myself totally inspired by this. Oh, I'm a man btw. You go girl. Somebody had to call do-do on that "in this day in age" horse pucky a few posts ago.

Just when you thought the June Cleaver fan club was dead.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Whew, I go to bed and the thread explodes.

Just to let everyone know, I do in fact tell people where I am going, and for extra benefit leave google earth with the coordinates of all the cache areas listed, just in case I don't return they at least have a good idea where to search, creepy thought, but hey that's important too :unsure:

If it came down to it I really rather run then try myself against any attacker, but I'll definitely need to look into a walking stick staff, and take some courses for defense with one. I'm right near several large military installations I can go on, I'm sure I can find some sort of defense course. Also will have to ask around about the pepper spray deal. Even if I never use it against a human, it could be good defense against anyone's dog who is off the lead and decides I look tasty, or a wild dog (I think there may be few around)

I'm not afraid at all to leave the home, but I understand there are risks inherent so I thought it'd be nice to get some feedback, and feedback I got!

And to Team Cotati. The moment I let fear of going anywhere because I'm female, is the moment I become my mother, unable to leave the home without male escort because of fear of the big bad world. Which ain't happening :)

I understand there are many areas where I wouldn't traverse, like a seedy part of town with several people eyeballing me. But not going out for a hike in the woods because I'm isolated... well, that's just plain silly. I'm more likely to come across a rabid squirrel! But it never hurts to be prepared for the worst :unsure:

Oh, as for the ipod bit I'm not listening to music, mostly the podcache podcast show or a audio book. You should see me rip those things off the moment a squirrel bounds by me, or a bird trills unexpectedly. When I get to a point where I start looking for a cache or clue or something, I take them off completely. The ipod is just there where I'm going a mile or two in a direction, striding along the path. I don't see myself nixing that, it's too enjoyable.

edit: oh and thanks to all the responses, it's given me a lot of useful suggestions and food for thought

Edited by leftover

flask's my hero. :)

I'm not going to try to relate all my solo caching experiences, because my brain isn't working today. But I know that I've been crazy, and been in crazy situations that make me question myself. But I wouldn't have it any other way. "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

The most dangerous thing I could come across around here is a bad fall, a lynx (terribly shy creatures), or ...dundundun.... another human. I don't think I'll ever have trouble, but it's best to be mentally prepared.

I would leave it at that. Is there any evidence that cachers got attacked? In Germany?

You may read up some statistics on violent crimes. You may be astonished: The typical victim of violence is male, not female. OK, for rape that's different - but rape most of the time happens at home or when being with "friends", not through a stranger out in the woods.

BTW My Ex Army Ranger Husband says the best weapons you have are your legs. Not for kicking but running. They can't hurt you if they can't catch you.

Aren't guys, on average, faster runners than the ladies?

Well you haven't seen some of the wierdos I haven seen. I think a Snail can out run them. Sorry Wasco for the term.

Flask I really want to meet you. Girl you do stuff I would do. But right now my body won't let me. I'm glad you don't let the world keep you away. Plus I feel safer in the woods than in the dtreets of Urbun caches. I guess it is because I was raised around the East St. Louis area.

:) Maybe that's why I'm sick. God was watching some of the stuff that I was doing and said, "we gots to do something about that girl, 'fore she goes and kills herself!". :unsure::unsure:

Yes, I'm waiting for the day that I can meet flask. I'll give her a big ol' hug (and I know that she'll hug back, even if she doesn't want to admit it :blink::huh: )

Just when you thought the June Cleaver fan club was dead.

Us little ladies, we'll stick to the parking lot skirt lifters that we can usually find somewhere between our car and the manicure parlor. But, of course, only if there's a secure way to CROSS the parking lot so someone doesn't run into us.

Heaven forfend!

Methinks some posters should try being a little LESS sexist.

michelle

excuse me?

i do not carry a weapon.

i am not afraid.

LOL....great post. I like you.

OT

I think we have a mutual friend. The fellow who got me into this crazy hobby goes by "Oxsling" and caches with "Cajun Lucy"

and i am not dead yet.

Hey.. one more thing Flask. What did the devil look like? I think I've met her.

<ducking and running as advised>

I've been lucky enough to travel a lot for work and am often alone when seeking caches. Carrying all that mace and stuff is nice if you have time to get it out of a pack and use it. Acting like you are comfortable in your own skin and have a lot of confidence is a very good deterrent. Screaming like a banshee and waving a big hickory walking stick is also quite good.

But there's no substitute for common sense. Do some research up front on the area you will be hunting. If there is anything about the area that feels off, just don't go caching. If there is even a whiff of a report about assaults in the area, go find somewhere else to search. There's too many other places to find interesting stuff. I have checked out areas that just feel "off" somehow and not hung around to search.

At home, I usually have my husband along - or one of the dogs.

And without starting a gun discussion, if I was on my own a whole lot, I'd take a gun (sorry, but better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6)

...Screaming like a banshee and waving a big hickory walking stick is also quite good.

....But there's no substitute for common sense. Do some research up front on the area you will be hunting. If there is anything about the area that feels off, just don't go caching. If there is even a whiff of a report about assaults in the area, go find somewhere else to search. There's too many other places to find interesting stuff. I have checked out areas that just feel "off" somehow and not hung around to search.

And without starting a gun discussion, if I was on my own a whole lot, I'd take a gun (sorry, but better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6)

The screaming/waving stick had me chuckling as I imagined it in my head, though it's probably what I would be doing.

As for the common sense thing I'm having a heck of a time not knowing german and all, but if an area doesn't look right to me, I won't cache it. The most recent thing I can think of was when I parked near my location, and there was a car just sitting there, out in the wilderness, with two male occupants doing nothing but staring at me as I came in. Silly enough, I got out of my car, acted like I didn't notice them, but after a few minutes of walking I looked back towards my car and they were still staring. It unnerved me so much I turned around and parked on the other side of the park, farther away from the cache, but with much more people. They were probably just wondering what the heck I was doing out there, just as much I was wondering about them, but in these cases it's better safe than sorry I say.

As to an above poster who mentioned crime rates in my area, even if there was the lowest crime rate ever in this area, that doesn't mean I'm entirely safe. Pretty safe sure, but there is never a absolute.

All in all, from looking around this thread I've gathered some great advice. Confidence, some self defense courses, and common sense are all things I'll work on for my further geocaching adventures. I most likely will never have to exercise them, but hey, it doesn't hurt :)

But about the gun thing, again I can't carry one, so it's really a moot point. I've been overseas so long I've never even seen a real one, and I'd probably shoot my own foot off to boot :unsure:

I do plan on returning stateside some day, so maybe then I'll head down to the gun range to keep myself, and my toes, safe.

Here in Canada we can carry bear spray (for bears) and I do when I am in an area that is mainly wilderness

the only time I didn't carry it I ran into two bears but I was fortunate to be able to avoid them

I also carry a knife and a FA Kit as well as my phone for those times I have coverage

But mainly I let someone know where I am going....I don't usually worry about urban caches and human predators where I live ...most of the time they make a lot more noise than I do and I can avoid them when I am in the bush

Edited by hike n'bike

Life's risky. Car wrecks, bee stings, crazy shooters, criminals. Going out the door (or staying home) is risky.

Risk can only be minimized, not eliminated. Life's also a series of tradeoffs, balancing the odds of danger with the potential for adventure.

My three basic rules for life:

Pay attention to surroundings. Look for dangers and for beauty.

Trust gut feelings. If they're wrong, you're no worse off.

Pointless risks are pointless. Useful risks are those that might pay off with something amazing.

Most of the time, I'm more worried about chiggers than criminals. Odds are chiggers will find me. So far, though, no sign of criminals.