Help loading caches to explorist 210!

olskool53

Help! I'm a first timer. I have loaded the cache to my 210 using the Magellan geocache manager and it appears in my GPS. The problem occurs when i press goto ... geocache ...then a up one level file appears(??), when i press this my geocache files appear....OK. When i press the cache that i want to map Nothing happens...it goes back to the up one level file???? I am confused, shouldn't it show a trail to my geocache?

Any help would be appreciated, I just wanted to go hunting with the kids today for our first cache..........Nothing is easy!

Is there a way to manually enter the coordinates into my 210?

Hmm. Are you designating the geocache POI file as active in Active Setup (depending on your firmware, it might be named something different, but similar). This should be a screen where you designate the active basemap, detail map, Regular POI file, and Geocache POI file.

Use the click stick to highlight the Geocache POI file, pick your file from the list, hit enter and you should see the file name in the Active Setup screen. Then when you go back to the top level and hit GOTO/Geocaches it ought to display your list of caches that you can choose from.

As the above poster said, you have to have that particular file/list set as the default list. If that is done, the caches will show up on the map page like little treasure chests.

Press the menu button, select "Preferences", select "Active Setup", scroll down through the boxes until the box for "Geocaches" is lit. This SHOULD be the same as the file you created in Magellan's Geocache Manager. If it's not, click on it. Then click on "Select File". "Up one level" shows up here, but underneath that should be a list of the files you've created in Magellan's Geocache Manager. Scroll down to the one you want, click on that file. If it's not currently the default file, it will ask you to confirm that you want to make that file "active". Answer yes, and it will return to Active Setup. Just press the "Esc" button until you're back at the map page and the caches should show up on the map.

If the list you made in Magellan Geocache Manager is NOT showing up, you've not go it transferred over.

I'd suggest creating the file in Magellan's Geocache Manager and naming it something very identifiable. Maybe even something corny like "Experimental List". Anything that is not a common Windows/Magellan/GSAK or whatever name. That way it'll be easier for you to see & find.

Magellan's Geocache Manager is pretty easy to use and up until a week ago, I used it and my 210 exclusively.

After your list is set to the default, you can still use the go-to like you asked, but you probably won't need to. Once the little treasure chests show up on the map, you can just move your pointer over to the chest until you see the name of the cache. Then, just click on it and it'll bring up that cache information. At that point, you can choose it as your go-to.

I hope I've explained this okay. It's awfully hard to write it! I could show you easier! LOL

As the above poster said, you have to have that particular file/list set as the default list. If that is done, the caches will show up on the map page like little treasure chests.

Press the menu button, select "Preferences", select "Active Setup", scroll down through the boxes until the box for "Geocaches" is lit. This SHOULD be the same as the file you created in Magellan's Geocache Manager. If it's not, click on it. Then click on "Select File". "Up one level" shows up here, but underneath that should be a list of the files you've created in Magellan's Geocache Manager. Scroll down to the one you want, click on that file. If it's not currently the default file, it will ask you to confirm that you want to make that file "active". Answer yes, and it will return to Active Setup. Just press the "Esc" button until you're back at the map page and the caches should show up on the map.

If the list you made in Magellan Geocache Manager is NOT showing up, you've not go it transferred over.

I'd suggest creating the file in Magellan's Geocache Manager and naming it something very identifiable. Maybe even something corny like "Experimental List". Anything that is not a common Windows/Magellan/GSAK or whatever name. That way it'll be easier for you to see & find.

Magellan's Geocache Manager is pretty easy to use and up until a week ago, I used it and my 210 exclusively.

After your list is set to the default, you can still use the go-to like you asked, but you probably won't need to. Once the little treasure chests show up on the map, you can just move your pointer over to the chest until you see the name of the cache. Then, just click on it and it'll bring up that cache information. At that point, you can choose it as your go-to.

I hope I've explained this okay. It's awfully hard to write it! I could show you easier! LOL

Thank you! Like i said im new to this! My mistake was i was entering the info manually into magellan geo manager. What i needed to do was save the file to MGM. Thanks for the help guys! I can't wait to get back out there!

I used my 210 for 7 months and just upgraded to a Garmin 60CSX. I think the 210 is a wonderful unit to start out with. I know many have issues with Magellan, so as long as you know the customer service issues up front.

The 210 is easy to use (especially for newbies). I think it's a great value for the money (abt. $150). It comes with the ability to hook up via USB (the Garmins in that price range hook up via serial port.)

I found Magellan's Geocache Manager easy to use. You can still use GSAK with it, but you have to export to the 210 (as opposed to send to GPS) .

In MY personal experience, I found it easier to use the map page than the compass page. (AGAIN, that was MY preference.)

One drawback to it is that it can only hold 200 geocaches per file. This isn't that hard to work around, imo. You just make multiple files. (I did it by city/region.) Garmin owners find it annoying. I found it easier than having a billion (okay an exaggeration) all in one file. Again, it's all personal preference.

Feel free to message me with any questions. I'm still fond of the 210 although I've moved up. (And I DO still keep the caches current in the 210 -and riding around in the glove box- until the 60CSX has totally proven itself!)