Regional Differences

SidAndBob

It's funny how things are done slightly differently in different parts of the country. For instance, whilst in Cornwall recently we noticed that many caches offered a monetary prize for the FTF between £1 and £5. I'd never seen this before.

What regional differences have you seen?

I’ve noticed that the further south you go, the more caches there are. This may seem obvious but it then allows those cachers who live further south to acquire large cache numbers faster than people in the more-civilised north and then to brag about it. Extensively. <ducks>

Er, that wasn’t directed at anyone in particular but I have my fire extinguisher ready if anyone thinks the cap fits.

As far as FTF prizes goes (which I don’t usually take even if FTF), I thought most caches had a quid or something put in as a prize. Is that not the case south of Leeds?

I’ve noticed that the further south you go, the more caches there are. This may seem obvious but it then allows those cachers who live further south to acquire large cache numbers faster than people in the more-civilised north and then to brag about it. Extensively. <ducks>

Er, that wasn’t directed at anyone in particular but I have my fire extinguisher ready if anyone thinks the cap fits.

As far as FTF prizes goes (which I don’t usually take even if FTF), I thought most caches had a quid or something put in as a prize. Is that not the case south of Leeds?

In our area you very occasionally see a prize like a pen or an unactivated geocoin, but I've never seen money.

We are reasonably far south, but don't have a huge number of caches in the area and many involve several miles walking. We seem to break all the rules. :unsure:

Cache containers often seem regional too. I found some great flare canisters around Kidderminster that I've never seen anywhere else and some horrible small plastic non-watertight boxes somewhere else.

Yep Terrain ratings vary quite dramatically I think - depending on what other local caches are rated at.

and language

In Cornwall anything forming a boundary with vegetation on is called a Hedge - even if its a earth filled stone bank covered in grass with trees on the top it's a hedge! Yet if you use the Hedge term in a clue it confuses visitors who seem to think a hedge is a row of Leylandi! Now I give Bilingual clues for locals/visitors.

Yep Terrain ratings vary quite dramatically I think - depending on what other local caches are rated at.

and language

In Cornwall anything forming a boundary with vegetation on is called a Hedge - even if its a earth filled stone bank covered in grass with trees on the top it's a hedge! Yet if you use the Hedge term in a clue it confuses visitors who seem to think a hedge is a row of Leylandi! Now I give Bilingual clues for locals/visitors.

Yes, we were a little surprised not to find a hedge at Giant's Hedge. :cool:

It is quite common in the North East for a £1.00 coin to be left as a FTF prize to buy chocolate with (choccy money) we always leave it for the first geokid to find.

Daniel has found a £1.00 FTF prize several weeks after a cache has been realeased and it has been found a few times, sadly or luckily for Daniel we dont have many geokids around here.

Mandy :cool:

It is quite common in the North East for a £1.00 coin to be left as a FTF prize to buy chocolate with (choccy money) we always leave it for the first geokid to find.
A pound coin for FTF? - nice if labelled "choccy money". I've left a 50p before now just to make a proper "trade up" in a small cache. It's my standby when I run out of swag.

I have noticed that busy bigger caches that are family-friendly seem well stocked. I.E. on the fringe of parks, near well-known Lake District locations etc. It looks like families who geocache normally go out well stocked with swaps. I'm off daan sarf this weekend so I will judge if there's a subjective difference.

Terrain: I don't know if it varies by location but I sweated my way 400ft up a hill for a 1.5 and did a cache and dash for a 3 star! It would be good to get re-ratings by actual visitors.

I think it's time for a Real Meaning Dictionary. I'll start a thread. :)