Oak Leaf Itch (Gall) Mites

~Hylife~

This Link leads to a page explaining in more detail what they are.

A few weeks ago, while out caching with my parents, my mom contracted what we thought was poison ivy. The syptoms were so adjitating that she went to the ER to have it checked out. They agreed with our poison ivy hypothesis and prescribed some ointment. The rashes remained and spread vastly. It was at this point that she went to her regular doctor, who suspected that the rash was not in fact poison ivy, but actually scabies, a small mite that burrows in the skin and causes rashes and itching. The mite is most commonly found in places where poor hygine is practiced, so my mom thought that, since she works at a dialysis center, she contracted it from one of her patients. So she was prescribed another cream that is meant to kill the mites, and though not overly effective, it did kill some of the parasites, and with multiple applications, she doesn't have as many areas of rash anymore.

Of course, I got it then. However, after one application of the cream, all itching has stopped and the rashes are disappating, unlike my mother's long-going rashes.

So, one day, my mother saw on the news a report of the oak leaf gall mite being reported in Illinois. We now know that's what we have. Along with us, appearently some of my moter's co-workers have the ailment as well, from gardening and stuff.

I gather the best way to prevent the mite is, when you get back from caching or whatever, wash your clothes immediately and shower before the mites have a chance to get under your skin, as it takes a few hours..

So anyways, I just thought I should warn everyone, specifically midwesterners, and see if anyone else has had this problem while geocaching.

Sound a lot like the chiggers (red bugs) we have down here in Texas. I'd much rather deal with Ticks, Mosquitos, Poison Ivy, than those nasty chiggers.

This Link leads to a page explaining in more detail what they are.

A few weeks ago, while out caching with my parents, my mom contracted what we thought was poison ivy. The syptoms were so adjitating that she went to the ER to have it checked out. They agreed with our poison ivy hypothesis and prescribed some ointment. The rashes remained and spread vastly. It was at this point that she went to her regular doctor, who suspected that the rash was not in fact poison ivy, but actually scabies, a small mite that burrows in the skin and causes rashes and itching. The mite is most commonly found in places where poor hygine is practiced, so my mom thought that, since she works at a dialysis center, she contracted it from one of her patients. So she was prescribed another cream that is meant to kill the mites, and though not overly effective, it did kill some of the parasites, and with multiple applications, she doesn't have as many areas of rash anymore.

Of course, I got it then. However, after one application of the cream, all itching has stopped and the rashes are disappating, unlike my mother's long-going rashes.

So, one day, my mother saw on the news a report of the oak leaf gall mite being reported in Illinois. We now know that's what we have. Along with us, appearently some of my moter's co-workers have the ailment as well, from gardening and stuff.

I gather the best way to prevent the mite is, when you get back from caching or whatever, wash your clothes immediately and shower before the mites have a chance to get under your skin, as it takes a few hours..

So anyways, I just thought I should warn everyone, specifically midwesterners, and see if anyone else has had this problem while geocaching.