CITY NAV FREE UPDATE

daveinns

This may be old news but it was new to me , so I thought I would share it.

The source was http://www.gpscentral.ca/mapsourceupdate.htm

New Info: You may be eligible for a free Map Update - City Navigator NT 2008 DVD [or non-NT] for use with the products listed here. If the product was purchased after May 1, 2007, the map data may be out of date. Customers can receive a free map update by first registering their Garmin unit at www.mygarmin.com.

The registration process will identify those customers eligible for a free update. By providing the necessary address information, etc. a free map update disk will then be mailed to the customer. The Garmin website will support this feature beginning August 22, 2007.

Products which are eligible for a free map update are as follows*:

All nuvis, Quest, GPS V, zumos

StreetPilot c330, c340,c550, c580, III, 2610, 2650, 2620, 2660, 2720, 28xx series, 7200, 7500, GPSMAP 496, GPS 18, GPS 10BT

iQue 3200, 3600, M5

MapSource City Navigator North America

MapSource City Navigator North America NT (when used with a qualifying compatible Garmin handheld GPS unit)

These Garmin products are not eligible for a free map update (and ship with v8 North America maps):

StreetPilot i2, i3, i5, c320, c330, c530, 2730, Quest 2, iQue 3000 - M3

*Italicized models are non-NT.

PLEASE NOTE that the iQue M4, GPSMAP 378, GPSMAP 478 currently cannot be updated.

Thanks,

Garmin's customer support just verified that a free upgrade DVD for the C550 I bought with V8 after May 1 will ship as soon as it is available.

I also confirmed that the "My Garmin" website now supports ordering the free upgrade without contacting Garmin customer support.

GW

I also confirmed that the "My Garmin" website now supports ordering the free upgrade without contacting Garmin customer support.

Where? I don't see it anywhere on "myGamin"? I bought it from Amizon on Aug. 2nd and registered it on mygramin on the 3rd. Do you have to buy it from gramin to get the free update?

Where? I don't see it anywhere on "myGamin"? I bought it from Amizon on Aug. 2nd and registered it on mygramin on the 3rd. Do you have to buy it from gramin to get the free update?

I just called them to ask about it on the same day I installed v*8. They told me that I was eligible for the FREE update disk and that it would be sent out that day. So that I should receive it by next Wednesday. They also said that anyone who has purchased v8 after May 1st and has registered it is automatically going to get the update disk.

myGarmin™ Services

Free map update available for your StreetPilot c550, North America. >> Order Now

If you don't, try clicking on the link that lists your reciever with its serial number.

If that doesn't work, shoot Customer support an e-mail or call them.

Note that not all Garmin car navigators qualify for the free upgrade. The following models are excluded from the offer: StreetPilot i2, i3, i5, c320, c330, c530, 2730, Quest 2, iQue 3000 - M3. Most of these models have been discontinued.

Edited by Glenn W

Thanks for the info guys!!

I couldn't find the link on the site so I called support... my call was answered right away which caught me off guard, I'm used to 45+mins with Sprint. He logged in as me and said it wasn't there but that I was eligible so he put it in the system himself and said it would go out today or Monday. I love Garmin... Sprint should follow their model.

Note that not all Garmin car navigators qualify for the free upgrade. The following models are excluded from the offer: StreetPilot i2, i3, i5, c320, c330, c530, 2730, Quest 2, iQue 3000 - M3. Most of these models have been discontinued.

How come the C330 is on both lists?? Says that it is eligible than on bottom excluded?

I have a 60csx. I noticed it's not on either list. I bought City Navigator V8 in June. I thought I had registered it when I unlocked it, but Garmin shows no record of that. City Nav isn't a choice on the registration list. Any ideas for me?

It'll be friday before I'll get a chance to call them during their business hours.

I have a 60csx. I noticed it's not on either list. I bought City Navigator V8 in June. I thought I had registered it when I unlocked it, but Garmin shows no record of that. City Nav isn't a choice on the registration list. Any ideas for me?

It'll be friday before I'll get a chance to call them during their business hours.

MapSource City Navigator North America and NT are on the list. Those other Gamin units have the maps preinstalled, not like the 60csx, thats why there on the list.. so your CN v8 is covered.

If you look on mygarmin at your 60csx properties, you'll see that your CN is listed there, it's not list as a separate registered item. I have a 60csx also and I too bought CN v8 in June. I looked on the website and couldn't find the free update so I called. They sent it out to me and I had it within a few days.

Does this mean that I could go out and buy CN 8 today and qualify for a free upgrade to CN 2008 ?

I'd like to find the cheapest route to upgrade 2 receivers. I have a Gpsmap 60cx and a Venture Cx, both running Metroguide 7. I had planned on upgrading both to CN 2008 by using the "two" unlock codes that I thought would be provided. Of course Garmin nixed that plan by changing it's policy. Does anyone know if I could buy CN 8 now and get 2 unlock codes ? If so, could I then get a free upgrade to CN 2008 ? I would then be able to put CN 2008 on one GPSr and keep CN 8 on the other. I could live with that, if it is possible.

If that is not possible, I suppose I could buy CN 2008 and a 2nd unlock. Can anyone advise what a 2nd unlock would cost ?

Thanks for your input.

I have a Street Pilot c530 which has City Vav built in. The c530 is on the excluded list above - probably because CN was built in and (I guess) cannot be updated?

But.....

I also have a Legend Cx and since my ownership of a c530 entitled me to use City Nav, Garmin very kindly sent me a free copy of City Nav so I could install it on my Legend. Actually they were going to charge me $15 but since their computer was down, I got it for nothing. I also have Topo Canada on the Legend. Anyway, I have a copy of City Nav. V8 that is installed in Map Source and on my Legend. It is also built into the c530 but I don't know which version. I bought the c530 in Dec. '06.

I have several questions.

- Will I ever be able to update the c530?

- If I can't update it, can I load a more current City Nav onto it by loading a SD card with whatever newer version might become available?

- How do I find out the current version of City Nav on the c530?

- Is there some kind of subscription service that will provide updates to maps like City Nav. or Topo Canada or does one simply throw out the map and buy a new one after X years?

- What about my c530. Is it just an expensive, but useless toy after X years?

You can purchase the map update for your 530. It's possible depending upon the space available on the unit that you may only be able to load Canada or the US and not both at the same time. You can find the version by going to Settings (Wrench) > Map > Map Info.

There's no subscription service. You have to purchase the updates when and if you need them. Many people only update every other year and are fine with that.