etrek summit too old school?

i have just started geocaching again after many years of not. My daughter is now old enough to geocache with me.

i have an etrek summit. its works well enough but i see a lot has changed since i started years ago.

are there any recommendations for a new gps? what are some of the new features i should look for if i purchase a new unit?

For caching, the Summit is more than enough. Unless you want to do something more with your GPS, use it and spend the savings on that precious daughter. Maybe a new backpack so she can carry all your caching supplies, a new bicycle for caching that way, or a celebratory happy meal at the arches after a hard day caching.

I use an old black and white Vista that I have had for almost 4 years and getting close to 650 caches found. I think you should just hone your skills with what you have as it is more fun to learn how to get that geosense using something that is not state of the art. We have been all over with ours and it has always taken us to and from the caches.

I would say a Camelbak for the little one as I get tired of carrying the Littlest_Hkrs water all the time. Maybe a Camelbak for yourself.

Enjoy the game.

i have an etrek summit. its works well enough but i see a lot has changed since i started years ago.

are there any recommendations for a new gps? what are some of the new features i should look for if i purchase a new unit?

The best 'new feature' in the eTrex range is unquestionably the new Media Tek chipset designated by the H in the product name. Although I'm not 100 percent certain that is the chip used in the low end models like the basic yellow one. But it's definitely in the new VistaHCx, which is probably the one you want because it has the Compass like the Summit.

The new chips are getting rave reviews and are at least as good as the SirfstarIII chips and most often, better!.

I used to have a Summit and not having the 'pickstick' on the front is a real pain especially when trying to mark and name waypoints in the field. For my money life is too short to not get the VistaHCx. You can pick one up on ebay for $230 and sell your old Summit for $100

$0.02