how long should one keep a tb?

jmap117

we own a couple of tb's that someone has had for over a month. it appears that they were swapped for other tb's from an event cache. when, if ever, do i contact the geocacher as to his/her intentions regarding the tb's? also, what is the advantage/disadvantage of merely swapping tb's with other cachers?

thanks for your input,

jim (jmap117)

I think it also depends on the mission of the TB. I found one recently that wanted to visit all the major league baseball parks, I'm in Seattle and 2 months after I found it I was going to Minnesota, so the owner was okay with me holding on to it since I was bringing closer to it's goal.

I'd say if you have it longer then 2 weeks or so, let the owner know. TB owners just want to know their TB's okay and is moving along, so just keep them informed.

But I'm still new. :)

I feel guilty if I hold them more than a few days unless they are on a mission that I can complete for them in a somewhat longer time frame. I keep a little excel sheet on the TBS I have moved. Average for 182 bugs and coins is 8.84 days. :o

I had one of my own stay with a guy for almost a year.. I thought it was done, but then it started moving again. Finally ran off somewhere in Oregon a couple years later.

2 weeks is a reasonable upper limit for folks at home, and certainly a good point to send an email and ask. They could be on a month long cultural tour and have not caught up on logs but you have to ask to know.
I agree. Two weeks is very reasonable. One month is too long unless it's moving a long way.

I think it's fair to send an e-mail and ask. But be nice.

I currently have a TB and a coin that I need to move along, I've had them for about 2 weeks and really had intended to pass them along sooner. But then we went on vacation (I'd intended to find a cache for them then, but things didn't work out) and I got very sick, and am just now beginning to feel normal again. Bad timing. Things happen to people, they don't necessarily intend to be so lax about their TB passing duties.

Two weeks is the listed limit. Definitely try to put them out again within that limit. If possible. And that's where it gets tricky sometimes. A lot of people do not do that much geocaching. I'm not about to ban them from moving bugs. And, it seems that there are more and more micros being hidden. I try to find good caches to leave bugs in. Sorry, that cache is wet. Not leaving the bug there!

After two or three months, I'll send a friendly e-mail thanking the cacher for their intrest in my bug, and asking if they'll be sending it on their adventures soon.

Send me a polite e-mail expressing your concern, and your bug will go into the next cache that I find, in which it will fit.

I agree with the two week rule, but I can understand how a month or so might happen occasionally. I picked up a TB while on vacation in Oregon that wanted to visit all 50 states. But I wanted to make sure it found some interesting place to drop when I got back home in California. I knew I would be going to the Feather River on Labor Day and waited until then to drop it. I felt bad holding onto the TB for a little more than a month, but I'm glad I did because I think I helped the TB along its stated goal.

I guess my point is...it probably depends on the stated goal of the TB and how best you can help it on its way.

(This is my first post....I'm a newbie)..JimAHS

I've had a Red Jeep TB for more than a month. I emailed the owner and asked him if I kept logging it all over our area and then took it with us to Vancouver would that be ok. I got a great response. He loved the idea. So whenever we go to a cool cache around our area (Okanagan Valley in BC), I take a picture and log it. We'll find a great place to finally drop it for good when we go to Vancouver at the end of the month.

So I guess it's up to you and/or the owner of the bug.

My bug was in the possession of one person for almost 2 months. She was taking a vacation around Canada and since my bugs goal is to visit touristy places and have it's picture taken I didn't mind. She finally dropped it in Ontario, where it's been sitting ever since. Hope someone grabs it soon.

I've had a TB in my possession exactly two weeks today and I got a reminder from GC that I should move it or contact the TB originator if there's going to be a delay. I think this is a courtesy owed the TB owner, as they put their own money into it.

I e-mailed the owner prior to the two weeks being up, telling him I was traveling to Florida soon and would find a home for it there. Got a nice e-mail back from the TB owner thanking me for the note and glad to hear it was moving on to a good cahce very soon.

I've had a TB in my possession exactly two weeks today and I got a reminder from GC that I should move it or contact the TB originator if there's going to be a delay. I think this is a courtesy owed the TB owner, as they put their own money into it.

I e-mailed the owner prior to the two weeks being up, telling him I was traveling to Florida soon and would find a home for it there. Got a nice e-mail back from the TB owner thanking me for the note and glad to hear it was moving on to a good cahce very soon.

You know, for the most part, an update can be as good as a drop. I release bugs so I can hear from both cachers and my bug. It is nice to know that both are alive.

Although there is one I'm starting to worry about. :huh:

I have had one since last Sunday- when I logged it I mentioned that I am traveling west (which it its desired travel route) at the end of the month- that way when the owner checks the log they will know what the plans are for it. After reading this- I may email them anyway when I get home tonight. :)

GC120TZ

Ouch. That's too bad.

I sent a note to the cacher offering to take them off their hands, postage paid. I won't even log them all. I'll just pass them along to various people in the US community and let them place them.

If you get a response and need help in placing them, I will be glad to help out, especially if being in ky would help out any of them. My TB passing along references are in my profile :P