How about a real puzzle cointest?

moscow32

Ok, I'm heading out for a while. I'll make some points which shouldn't be considered as hints. :o

1- The answer has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

2- Some of you are on the right path. Keep on going!

3- The game isn't Identify the Moth... It's solve the puzzle.

Good luck!

edit to add a 3rd point

Edited by moscow32
From what I can tell, the Bacon Cipher only uses A's and B's. This puzzle has too many letters (M O C S W) to fit into the Bacon method.

I didn't say I got it to work :o I just thought it looked promising since we have groups of the five letters, and that cipher uses groups of 5 A's and B's to make a letter.

Like I said, I didn't get anything out of it. And Moscow posted some of you were on the right track, so now I'm going to read through all the posts!

Can someone please pass over some Tylenol....preferably one of you Canadians that have the good stuff!

Hi guys! I just got back from a cache run where I ran out of daylight too fast! Lots of fun, and no, I didn't drop any coins tonight. (Sorry, The Walkabouts, LB4T, and SOC...)

Like I said before, I'm ok if it doesn't get solved tonight. So far, I have not received the correct answer.

You won't like the next hint, so don't ask for it until you are absolutely ready for it. I promise. You won't like it.

I'm ready!!! Anyone else?

I came across the Nihilist Cipher, a Russian (Moscow?) form of cryptology. It also involves a 5 X 5 Polybius square for the English language (3+2=5 as in Moscow32). It looks like a keyword can also be used, which would essentially leave us all back at square one.

Even if no keyword is involved, I am having some trouble figuring out the real workings of the Nihilist Cipher. Anyone still out there and willing to help?

I came across the Nihilist Cipher, a Russian (Moscow?) form of cryptology. It also involves a 5 X 5 Polybius square for the English language (3+2=5 as in Moscow32). It looks like a keyword can also be used, which would essentially leave us all back at square one.

Even if no keyword is involved, I am having some trouble figuring out the real workings of the Nihilist Cipher. Anyone still out there and willing to help?

I'll look it up...

I'll look it up...

Yowsa...from what I can tell, that cipher uses 2 keywords. Oh vey..

http://www.animal.ahrgr.de/showAnimationDe...en&anim=215

Hi guys! I just got back from a cache run where I ran out of daylight too fast! Lots of fun, and no, I didn't drop any coins tonight. (Sorry, The Walkabouts, LB4T, and SOC...)

Like I said before, I'm ok if it doesn't get solved tonight. So far, I have not received the correct answer.

You won't like the next hint, so don't ask for it until you are absolutely ready for it. I promise. You won't like it.

I'm ready!!! Anyone else?

No, whats the point if we are not going to like it!!!! I am expanding my resources, so even though I may not be present I have not surrendered.

He did say that some of us were on the right track. I'm going out for a while and will rest my brain a bit for the challenge. That is if there isn't any homemade wine at this barbeque we're going to! LOL

The problem tothat statement is he announced that after 4 pages or so of dialogue :o . What track is he reffering to?

Just found this a bit ago. To eliminate the clutter, have copied essentials to notepad to print a copy.

Great puzzle!!! Very cool. To the rest of you, don't sweat if the answer doesn't jump out at you. Be patient! After all, the first known cyphers were used in ancient Egypt, and they have been evolving since then.

From my very quick glance, it looks like you have to use some sort of software in order to use GOST.

Yes, that is what I got from the readings that is why I asked. I don't know a thing about PERL :unsure: .

Yeah, don't go down that path. it's much simpler than that.

Well that eliminates GOST :( .

Go caching, if you can. That might help.

I've changed my mind about the hint. I just can't bring myself to do that to you people. It involved anagraming in Latin, and that was just too much.

I'll work up something that isn't quite so brutal.

Anagramming would have been the easy part, but in Latin?? Heck, english is an obstacle for some!

We WENT caching, lol! A 4 step multi was completed today, but we still can't figure out the puzzle :unsure:

Alms, alms for the poor *holding hands out in a begging posture for a hint*

I found a 4 stage multi also, but I had to phone a friend on 2 of the steps. I couldn't find any of the stages, just the final!

Edited by moscow32

Last hint???

thms

haei

esdm

cblo

ieen

pexi

hnpa

enae

rarj

the cipher has been named lex parsimon iaej

Hope it helps. I have no clue.

Well I know a bit about lex parsimoniae (aka Occam's razor) no clue where the J comes in, unless there is ROT10 substitution in there somewhere.

And to answer an earlier question, yes, wordsmith.org. Get AWAD (a word a day) from them 5 days a week. :unsure:

How would one take a keyword and turn it into placing the alphabet into a cipher? I really need to stop thinking about this.

Okay... Here's how I have been doing it. Create a grid using the letters MOSCW across the top as well as the side. Then start filling in the grid with the keyword. Duplicate letters are dropped. After the key is in, finish with the rest of the letters in the alphabet. Remember that a letter can only be used once, so if it was part of the key don't add it again.

Here's the grid using "key" as the key

MOSCW

M KEYAB

O CDFGH

S ILMNO

C PQRST

W UVWXZ

Then decode the message by finding where the letters intersect. MM = K OO = D Etc.

This really looks like it's the way to solve it, but I just can't determine what the key is.

Maybe the clue from Vanity Fair has something to do with it...

Anyone have any ideas? I think we can solve this as a group if we pool our ideas.

How would one take a keyword and turn it into placing the alphabet into a cipher? I really need to stop thinking about this.

Okay... Here's how I have been doing it. Create a grid using the letters MOSCW across the top as well as the side. Then start filling in the grid with the keyword. Duplicate letters are dropped. After the key is in, finish with the rest of the letters in the alphabet. Remember that a letter can only be used once, so if it was part of the key don't add it again.

Here's the grid using "key" as the key

MOSCW

M KEYAB

O CDFGH

S ILMNO

C PQRST

W UVWXZ

Then decode the message by finding where the letters intersect. MM = K OO = D Etc.

This really looks like it's the way to solve it, but I just can't determine what the key is.

Maybe the clue from Vanity Fair has something to do with it...

Anyone have any ideas? I think we can solve this as a group if we pool our ideas.

No additional ideas, yet, but that's the way I've been approaching it. I started out with the straight alphabet in the grid, only recently (maybe a couple of hours ago) added the key to the grid as described. I, too, strongly believe this is the proper cipher, simply because of the letters used in the puzzle. What other ciphers use such limited letters (except the one using only A's and B's)?

What is the key? Ugh!