How about a real puzzle cointest?

moscow32

Ok, here's the deal. I don't post a lot in these forums, but I do lurk, a lot. There have been a lot of cointests over the last few days that have ended within minutes of them being started. A lot of the puzzles require that you a) be really good at guessing random numbers or b ) spend a lot of time here in the forums. Here's a chance for you to stop and think a little bit. You know that if you win, it will be worth it.

Here's the puzzle:

bewilder2.jpg

To the winner, I will send all 4 editions of my Delicious Cache coin: the trackable version, the Gold LE, the Glow LE, and the Glitter LE. The Glow and Gold LEs have been cache only, so some of the Michigan cachers have seen them (I know LadyBee4T has at least seen all 4 versions!). My pictures haven't turned out well, so I haven't posted pics yet, but they are nice looking coins.

Here's the rules:

1- Send me an email with the answer through the site. Don't post it here and don't send me a private message (I don't always see those).

2- Don't send me an email with guesses. I'll provide a crosscheck for you to know if you have the right answer.

3- Guessing is ok, as long as its not in my inbox. :)

4- Working together to solve it is ok.

Here's the crosscheck:

The answer is a single word. Take the values of the letters (e.g. A=1, B=2, C=3, etc) and add them up. If the answer is more than 1 digit, add up each digit. Continue until you have a single digit. If your answer is correct, that digit is 9.

For example: If I thought the answer to the puzzle was GEOCOIN, I'd get the numbers 7,5,15,3,15,9,14. The sum is 68, which isn't a single digit. 6+8=14, still not a single digit. 1+4=5, single digit, but not 9, so I know that's not the answer. Sure you could brute force it, but that would be a lot of time wasted. :)

Have fun, and I'll go back to lurking.

Edit for smiley

Edited by moscow32

I do not get it

It's a puzzle. It's worth 4 geocoins. That makes it a challenging puzzle.

So much for my going back to lurk mode. :)

There is no such thing as lurking for you now :) !! Once this puzzleis finished we plan to tar and feather you so you stand out like a sore thumb.

I do not get it

It's a puzzle. It's worth 4 geocoins. That makes it a challenging puzzle.

So much for my going back to lurk mode. :)

There is no such thing as lurking for you now :) !! Once this puzzleis finished we plan to tar and feather you so you stand out like a sore thumb.

Well, at least i have something to look forward to!

Well since we can work together, lets start the dialogue!!!

1. I first attempted to guess at what the picture was. I am thinking that would be to easy.
  2. The wording appears to be the word Moscow over and over in some sortof cryptograph format. I was thinking that I would be able to replace letters like hte cryptographs in the newspapers, however they are all five letter words.
  3. I thought that perhaps the puzzle has to be some sort of long winded question, with the answer obviousely being the one word.

Any other thoughts?

Well since we can work together, lets start the dialogue!!!

1. I first attempted to guess at what the picture was. I am thinking that would be to easy.
  2. The wording appears to be the word Moscow over and over in some sortof cryptograph format. I was thinking that I would be able to replace letters like hte cryptographs in the newspapers, however they are all five letter words.
  3. I thought that perhaps the puzzle has to be some sort of long winded question, with the answer obviousely being the one word.

Any other thoughts?

I was thinking like your #1, but I like #3 .....

Just to be clear: You will absolutely know the answer once you have it. There will be no doubt about it.

If this were a cache, i would probably rate it at least a 4 star difficulty.

Damenace gets bonus points for attempting to start some community discussion. Anyone care to join him?

Damenace gets bonus points for attempting to start some community discussion. Anyone care to join him?

I would love to. I just don't have anything to contribute. :)

same here except i bet it has to do with his forums icon coincidence it is something with a bug and so is this background

Just to be clear: You will absolutely know the answer once you have it. There will be no doubt about it.

If this were a cache, i would probably rate it at least a 4 star difficulty.

I thought I absolutely knew it but he said no :)

observations:

there are 5 letters in each group

there are 5 rows

there are 5 columns

there are 5 different letters

no group repeats itself

exceptions:

the last group "ccs" - perhaps this is the key to the puzzle, or is irrelivant and there to confuse us

Out of the 25 combanations none spell "Moscow." I think that is the trick.

observations:

there are 5 letters in each group

there are 5 rows

there are 5 columns

there are 5 different letters

no group repeats itself

exceptions:

the last group "ccs" - perhaps this is the key to the puzzle, or is irrelivant and there to confuse us

Out of the 25 combanations none spell "Moscow." I think that is the trick.

but moscow has 6 letters, so of course it cant be spelled?

Cool, puzzle. And yes Moscow is 6 letters long, but only has 5 unique letters. Perhaps I should go dig out the e-mails from our trade, where I asked you about your name!

You've got one of the LE Glitters from that trade, right? What did you think?

The glitter is my personal favorite!

i looked through his profile and couldnt find anything that would help. he has not made any puzzle caches that look like this, and has not found any puzzle caches that look like this.

i think ive seen this puzzle before, but cant come up with where, and if i did im sure i neglected to solve it :)

and if you really enjoy this puzzle, i have to plug www.draculasriddle.co.uk, which is an 82 level riddle that is awesome!!

i am assuming this puzzle could be made with any 5 letters. i am also assuming that the background picture is a hint