No contour lines with Magellan 500 3d topo mapsend

While on the Map screen>Menu>Map Setup>Now toggle the joystick to the right>now go down the list to see if Topo Lines is check marked.

Thanks for the quick reply...I toggled and went down the list but there is no Topo Lines on the list. I selected mark all and still no contour/topo lines. My settings are highest detail and I've zoomed in to various levels but still no contour lines...

Make sure your topo map is the Active Map....click Menu...Active Map...Detailed Maps...if a topo map is not your Active Map there will be no Topo Lines choice in the Display tab under Map Setup. Once a topo map is active then zoom into at least 0.80 mile....the contour lines will be displayed.

Edited by rws

Make sure your topo map is the Active Map....click Menu...Active Map...Detailed Maps...and then try zooming in to at least 0.80 mile....

Thanks for your response too. I have the topo map active...I can see all the small streets and I've gone down to 100 feet. Did I do something before I exported the region? What/where would I check my settings on the 3d topo software? Thanks again for your help.

In the regions screen on the right side of the display in Topo3D, make sure the topo and POI boxes are in bold face (try clicking on the T and P to see what I mean). You'll also see the estimated size of the file to be compiled increase and decrease with the changes.

If you had the T toggled off, that would account for no contour lines in the file on the GPS. However, since they are toggled on by default, I doubt that's the problem. Several people have reported the problem you are seeing, and I'm not sure that a solution was always found. One problem was traced to something associated with also using MapSend Worldwide Basemap--is that in your library?

If these things can be ruled out, I'm down to suggesting uninstalling and re-installing the program.

In the regions screen on the right side of the display in Topo3D, make sure the topo and POI boxes are in bold face (try clicking on the T and P to see what I mean). You'll also see the estimated size of the file to be compiled increase and decrease with the changes.

If you had the T toggled off, that would account for no contour lines in the file on the GPS. However, since they are toggled on by default, I doubt that's the problem. Several people have reported the problem you are seeing, and I'm not sure that a solution was always found. One problem was traced to something associated with also using MapSend Worldwide Basemap--is that in your library?

If these things can be ruled out, I'm down to suggesting uninstalling and re-installing the program.

Thanks for your suggestions... The T and P were both Bold and downloaded file sizes suggest they were incorporated (I broke the US down into 6 regions and Colorado for a total of about 1.3 gb). I'm not using the worldwide base map. If nothing else is suggested, I'll try re-installing and re doing the regions...

Try scrolling the map to an area with lots of steep hills.

IF you are seeing lots of small streets, and the area that the are in is fairly flat there may not be enough of a terrain veriation to reqiure topo lines. With my explorsit 500 unless I am in an area with at least a few hills I do not see a lot of topography displayed.

I have been out of the loop, so to speak, for awhile in geocaching and gps. So, I hope that my reply is relevant to this post.

I had a problem with my Merigold not showing topo lines when they were clearly showing up on the computer (Mapsend Topo 3D USA). After much frustration and hair pulling, I came across an obscure reference to this problem on a web search. Turns out that if you have the software installed on any hard drive other than the c drive, topo contours will not upload to the gps. Sure enough, I had the program installed on my d drive. I uninstalled it, reinstalled it on the c drive, and magic...it worked perfectly. So, you might give it a try. Hopefully it will work for you!

Take care.

RadioCAD

I'm glad you got it working, too...but just to throw a little monkey wrench in the gears, I'm running T3D on my D drive with no problem. It may be that in some circumstances T3D requires the C installation. But it might have just been the re-installation that you did, and perhaps it would have worked as well on the D drive the second time around.

O well, that's a mystery we can all live with.