Best Handheld under $300?

BigBoy007

Well just as the topic states I am in search of the best GPS I can get for less than $300. When I started my search I was going to get the Magellan Explorist 500. It seemed to be a good unit for the money and has a lot of great features. Jus tbefore I was going to buy it I searched a bit more and found the Garmin Etrex Vista HCX had come out and I started saving up a bit more money to ge that one. This is where I need help. Of these two, or any others you ay suggest, what is the best? Within my budget buying the Magellan would allow me to purchase the unit pus maps. However I have been reading that their costomer service sucks and that scares me. The Garmin does seem to be a better unit but is more and the maps are more so I would not have them right away.

Here is what I would like to have and what led me to these two options.

1) My main use will be on my bike. I want something to tell me how fast, how far, and how long I have been riding. A compass would be nice here but not necessary. Must have bike mount compatibility.

2) I would also like to start geocaching. Both units mentioned seem to be setup for this.

3) Additional maps for street use or turn by turn directions I can add on.

4) I ride quads at the beach and want to be able to track my route and see the distance I have traveled. Here there can be some wooded areas where the trails go. Also I use my 4X4 in simular environments.

5) Needs to have color screen.

6) AA or AAA batteries.

7) Memory expansion capabilities. SD or something simular.

8) Must be waterproof.

Anything I missed? Baseed on these requirements am I looking at the right equipment? I have never had a GPS and I don't want to buy a cheap one now and in 5 years regret that I didn't spend a little more and get a better one. That's why I'm looking at higher end models even though an Etrex legend would problably suite my needs right now.

Thanks for all and any help.

Garmin Legend HCx wins hands down for under 300.00 - Vista HCx if you really need a barometer and magnetic compass.

H series Garmins are brand new unit just released with ultra sensative chip, and has everything you just requested. For bicycling, the Explorist 500 lacks a lot of features for bicycling. The Garmin's can tell you stopped time, moving time, total time, average moving MPH, etc. You can display up to 8 different data fields while bike riding or ATV riding.

The Explorist will soon be discontinued.

But in the next month, Magellan is releasing a new Triton 400 series that might be worth looking at.

Garmin Legend HCx wins hands down for under 300.00 - Vista HCx if you really need a barometer and magnetic compass.

H series Garmins are brand new unit just released with ultra sensative chip, and has everything you just requested. For bicycling, the Explorist 500 lacks a lot of features for bicycling. The Garmin's can tell you stopped time, moving time, total time, average moving MPH, etc. You can display up to 8 different data fields while bike riding or ATV riding.

The Explorist will soon be discontinued.

But in the next month, Magellan is releasing a new Triton 400 series that might be worth looking at.

Well after reading this the Magellan is out. I really wanted to go with Garmin anyway. They just seem to be better liked.

I see the eTrex Vista HCx going for under $300 (Offroute.com).

With the current $50 rebate, you can also get the GPSMAP 60CSx for under $300.

If you attend a geocaching event you will see more eTrex and GPSMAP units than anything else.

I had ruled out the GPSMAP 60CSx because I thought it was more expensive than that. I did a side by side comparison on Garmins website and the Vista HCx and the 60CSx look very much the same. The advantage of the 60CSx looks like the tide tables. I really don't need that and it is also bigger and heavier. Other than that not much difference. Am I missing something? Are the maps better maybe. I couldn't tell anything else from the comparison.

I had ruled out the GPSMAP 60CSx because I thought it was more expensive than that. I did a side by side comparison on Garmins website and the Vista HCx and the 60CSx look very much the same. The advantage of the 60CSx looks like the tide tables. I really don't need that and it is also bigger and heavier. Other than that not much difference. Am I missing something? Are the maps better maybe. I couldn't tell anything else from the comparison.

The 60CSX is bigger and heavier than the eTrex units. If you are mountain biking I think that would add to the vibration of the unit.

The eTrex units are a perfect size for a bike's handlebars.

Now as negatives, the eTrex buttons are on the side and are not conducive for use while biking. The 60's buttons are on the front and would be easier to operate while riding. If bigger and heavier aren't issues, also consider the 76CSX. It's usually a good bit cheaper than the 60 models and is virtually identical operationally and internally. You might find the 76CSX (or CX) to be a good choice for the bike.

I'm not saying you can't operate the eTrex on your handlebars. I had one on my bike at one time, but it's really designed to be held in the palm of your hand.

I agree that the Magellan units wouldn't be ideal for bike use. They just don't have all the available data fields that a bike rider would want. Garmins do.

Edited by briansnat

from the garmin website, it looks like for the legend and vista type, the hcx each have a high sensitivity receiver, and the cx doesn't. How big a difference would that make?

here's a compare link to what i was seeing: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=309

also, is the external antennae shown on the gpsmap 60cx worth the extra few dollars?

Edited by aclays
from the garmin website, it looks like for the legend and vista type, the hcx each have a high sensitivity receiver, and the cx doesn't. How big a difference would that make?

It makes a big difference. Do you need that difference? That's for you to determine. The CX units get decent reception under trees. The HCX units get outstanding reception under trees. If you will be under a heavy tree canopy much of the time you may want to go wit the HCX. If you're out in Arizona or Nebraska the CX will do fine (actually it will do fine anywhere, its just that the HCX will do much better).

also, is the external antennae shown on the gpsmap 60cx worth the extra few dollars?

I'd say no. I have a 60CSX and have never encountered the need for an external antenna even though I'm often under a heavy leaf copy. With my old 60CX there were times I could have used the antenna, but not with the CSX.

The high-sensitivity chips started being used a while back with the SiRf chip set and that made a big difference relative to the previous technology. There are currently several models with chips which are of higher sensitivity (which means they can hang on to a signal when others give up; they don't actually have greater accuracy). The GPSMAP 60 CSx does have the SiRF chip set and in many houses it gets a signal indoors. The 60CS does not. None of the eTrex line (even if they had x in the model name) had a high-sensitivity chip until the units that were recently released with an H in the model name. The chip set in these new eTrex units it apparently not from SiRF.

The GPSMAP 76 line is a fancier unit (traditionally with more memory in a bigger box) with nearly the same software and buttons. I prefer to have buttons below the screen rather than above the screen.

The place where the 60CSx beats the smaller units is on the screen size and the buttons. I have etrex models and find that the buttons on that model are significantly less user friendly than the ones on the GPSMAP units. The interface software (screen display) is pretty similar; the eTrex models lack the status bar at the top of the screen, so they show slightly less data, but this is not really significant.

You might just want to go hold both units in your hands to see what you think. You can do that at various retail establishments or geocaching events.

Other minor differences between HCx and 60CSx you should think about to see if you care:

- 60CSx comes with a 64MB microSD card, HCx comes with none. 1GB cards are <$20 these days, so this isn't a real big deal, but having said that, I still like having my "real" maps on my big card, and use the original little card for testing custom maps with...

- 60CSx's screen is slightly larger, but HCx has slightly more pixels...

- HCx battery life is quoted at almost 40% better than 60CSx.

Have fun choosing!

RenHoek

Are the maps better maybe. I couldn't tell anything else from the comparison.

The base map on either unit is total garbage so you would need to purchase maps for either unit if you want mapping, autorouting, etc. to work. You would purchase the exact same map set for either unit.

just a clarification, if it says 'autorouting', that means if you make a wrong turn, it'll automatically recalculate the path without having to press the goto button a couple times?

Not necessarily. Autorouting means that when you choose a point to navigate (waypoint, Point of Interest, address, etc.), the unit can find and display turn-by-turn road directions between you and your desired destination. Many autorouting units (if not all) will indeed recalculate a new route to the destination if you miss a required turn. The Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx (and similar units) have the option to automatically recalculate the route, or prompt you first (requiring input from you) before recalculation.

just a clarification, if it says 'autorouting', that means if you make a wrong turn, it'll automatically recalculate the path without having to press the goto button a couple times?

Not necessarily. Autorouting means that when you choose a point to navigate (waypoint, Point of Interest, address, etc.), the unit can find and display turn-by-turn road directions between you and your desired destination. Many autorouting units (if not all) will indeed recalculate a new route to the destination if you miss a required turn. The Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx (and similar units) have the option to automatically recalculate the route, or prompt you first (requiring input from you) before recalculation.

Great, thanks. I went ahead and bought the etrex vista hcx with the north america navigator v8. I tried getting the explorist 500 before, but two of my orders from different companies were canceled, so I take that as a bad omen about magellan :blink:

There's a reason that Garmin is doing a $50 rebate on the 60CSx. they know it's not worth the money now that the H series are out.

Regarding screen size. The eTrex has more pixels/inch than the MAP60 but the 60's screen is a tiny bit bigger, but it is only bigger because the individual pixels are a tiny bit bigger. In other words if you look at the HCx screen an inch closer then the effective size of the screens is the same.

As an exaggerated example ask yourself what is bigger a 17" CRT computer monitor or a 20" Television. The Television has a bigger screen but the monitor has effectively a bigger screen because the finer resolution means you can view it much closer.

Regarding the new Hi Res chipset, the eTrex use the new Media Tek chip, it's apparently a bit cheaper than Sirfstar but in all the tests I've seen at it's worst it is as good, and at it's best it is better than the Sirfstar, but not by much. It is also much more economical with the batteries.

In other words the Vist HCx basically makes the 60CSx obsolete unless you want a bulky unit with buttons on the front.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the Vista. I really don't care about the ease of use on the bike since I will most likely have it on the screen that shows speed/time/distance/etc. while riding. For other things it will be great to have a more compact unit.

One more question.

What maps are best for driving with this unit? City stuff with turn by turn. Also are there any other maps that would be recommended?