White Elephant Geocoin Exchange

Damenace

The time has come to start planning the next coin exchange. As some of you may remember I mentioned that I was going to do a White Elephant Geocoin Exchange for November. When I first mentioned the idea many people inquired on how I was going to do the actual exchange part of this mission. Well it wasn’t until 02:00 in the morning that I realized how I wanted to make this happen.

First I might add that I am not taking reservations at this time so please do not state your intentions, they will be overlooked. Below I have outlined how this will work:

1. The first 100 people to email me at a later date will be eligible to participate. The participants will be determined by date and time stamp from the email you send. A separate email account has been established to handle this mission. Posting your intent in this thread will not count, emailing me at my personal email address will not count. Again a NEW email address has been established for this, all correspondence will be dealt with through that account.
  2. There will be no need for a seeking list, in fact I encourage you to not send a coin off of a persons seeking list.
  3. You must be willing to see this mission through the end, here are the steps:

1. You email your intent via the given email address that will be given at a later date. Subject line will contain the following information in the following format: “Damenace – WEGE”. The format is important to allow me to sort through the emails in a timely fashion. The body of the email will contain your real name and shipping address.
    2. You will be assigned tomailing addresses
    3. You must be willing to ship anywhere for this mission to work
    4. You as the participant will agree to ship ANY random coin to the first address you are assigned, again a seeking list is not needed allow it to be a random coin
    5. In return a participant will you send you a totally random coin. Here is where the exchange part occurs
    6. You will open this package that was sent to you. You will need to decide if you want to keep the coin or replace the coin with another random coin

• If you decide to keep the coin you place another random coin in the package and resend it to the second address you were assigned

• If you decide not to keep it you will package the coin up and send it to the second address you were assigned to. No further action is required from you mission is complete.

[*]Please make the envelope as reusable as necessary

[*]Please not on the envelope somewhere the letters WEGE, so we do not get this mission mixed up with your regular trades

[*]know how carry everyone is but for the sake of making it fair please do not send more than one coin

I think I covered everything that needs to be covered for the time being. Once we get people signed up there will be an email sent out with a bonus feature that only those participating will be able to join in on..

Feel free to fire away with all the questions, as I am sure this may be a little coinfusing for some. After all this all played out at 02:00 in the morning.

First question...aren't you supposed to be working right now?! - jk.

Second question...did you get that wege worked out?

Third question...what's for dinner?

Ohhhh you wanted questions in regards to this subject didn't you?! What's the email address I can reserve at? :D

:grin::D:grin::grin::D

conspiracies abound!?

Edited by UOTrackers

Yes, I am working can't you tell!!! :D

Not yet, still refining :D .

What do you want (what am I getting myself into???)!!!

Ohhhh you wanted questions in regards to this subject didn't you?! What's the email address I can reserve at? :D

:grin::D:grin::grin::D

conspiracies abound!

Whats this suppose to mean?

Edited by Damenace

Yes, I am working can't you tell!!! :grin:

Not yet, still refining :D .

What do you want (what am I getting myself into???)!!!

:D:D:grin::grin::D

conspiracies abound!

Whats this suppose to mean?

:D:D you know me too well! How bout...mmm sushi! I'll have to go back and re-read the directions, I look forward to this mission, lot's of fun! It will be hard not to add in extra's but I understand the reasons.

OK I think I got it now. In a nutshell, we wait till you say go and post some super secret special email address, then we all rush to flood your mailbox with emails. The first 100 by date and time stamp get in. You send us the addresses of 2 other participants then we mail out 1 coin on one date? do we wait for a second date to do the 2nd/or received coin? Or do we jsut do that once we receive a coin?

Edited by UOTrackers

I ate some brownies today and I didn't get sick yet :grin:

Sounds like it could be fun, trackable/nontrackable or either?

Boy you will have your work cut out for you...

sounds like you should mint an white elephant coin (hint hint) :grin:

Glad to see you posted :grin: . This is already in the works, but cannot be discussed in the forums. More info will be dislosed in the email that will go out after everyone signs up.

So to summarize we send out 2 packages and receive 2 packages each??? Once we receive one we can decide to keep the coin or pass it on.... so everyone will get 2 names.

Sorry if I am being redundant. :grin:

In the end you will have sent out two packages but only received one.

So to summarize we send out 2 packages and receive 2 packages each??? Once we receive one we can decide to keep the coin or pass it on.... so everyone will get 2 names.

i thought i understood the first time i read it through, but now i dont anymore.

Scenario 1)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

Keep the coin you received

Send out a second coin

Receive a second coin? - this means u send two and get two

Scenario 2)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

Resend the coin you received

Receive another coin - this means u send two, but only end up with one coin from the exchange, and you keep one of your coins.

correct me if im wrong please!!

question 1) why wait till november, i want it to start now!!!

haha. sounds like a great idea, and i will be looking forward to it

Prior to announcing this there was exchanges planned thru September, I did not want to step on toes :grin: . The goal was to have this completed around the first big day for shopping, yes the day after Thanksgiving :grin: . What better way to celebrate the Holidays than to exchange coins, wait we do not need an excuse to echange coins :D .

I have to be honest with you I have not determined the exact start date, the reason being is that there is a very generous donation to this exchange and it is going through revisions :grin: .

i thought i understood the first time i read it through, but now i dont anymore.

Scenario 1)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

Send out a second coin

Scenario 2)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

Receive another coin - this means u send two, but only end up with one coin from the exchange, and you keep one of your coins.

Alright let me see if I can explain this in details

I will send you two Names we will call them "A" and "B". You will send a totally random coin to recipient "A", that part of the mission is complete.

Somebody will be assigned your name just as you where assigned a player named "A". When you receive your package from someone else you have two choices to make.

You keep the coin and replace it with another random coin(I would hate to see someone forward an empty envelope) and forward the package to your recipient "B", OR you choose to do nothing with the coin and you just forward it on to your recipient "B".

I think I am starting to confuse myself :grin:

Scenario 1)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

Send out a second coin

Scenario 2)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

I will send you two Names we will call them "A" and "B". You will send a totally random coin to recipient "A", that part of the mission is complete.

Somebody will be assigned your name just as you where assigned a player named "A". When you receive your package from someone else you have two choices to make.

You keep the coin and replace it with another random coin(I would hate to see someone forward an empty envelope) and forward the package to your recipient "B", OR you choose to do nothing with the coin and you just forward it on to your recipient "B".

so is everyone a recipient A and a recipient B or are half the people A and half the people B

Edited by ByrnedFish

Scenario 1)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

Send out a second coin

Scenario 2)

Send out a coin

Receive a coin

My head is spinning. The way it sound to me now,100 people send out one coin. Then, the same 100 people receive one coin. Then, the still same 100 people have to each either send back out the same coin they received or replace it with a second coin. Then what happens? Do they each receive another coin from a different person to keep or replace? Whoa...I'm making myself dizzy.

If 100 people each receive one item from another person, but send out two items to two other people, there will end up being 50 people getting one coin and 50 people getting 2 coins. To keep everyone ending up with the same amount of received coins, they would each have to send out as many coins as they receive. Please correct me if I mis-calculated this, it is quite confusing!

My head is spinning. The way it sound to me now,100 people send out one coin. Then, the same 100 people receive one coin. Then, the still same 100 people have to each either send back out the same coin they received or replace it with a second coin. Then what happens? Do they each receive another coin from a different person to keep or replace? Whoa...I'm making myself dizzy.

You are all making this too hard! :grin:

What you don't realize is that Dennis is the "B" recipient for everyone. Everyone exchanges 1 coin, then everyone sends 1 coin to Dennis! :grin:

JK

If 100 people each receive one item from another person, but send out two items to two other people, there will end up being 50 people getting one coin and 50 people getting 2 coins. To keep everyone ending up with the same amount of received coins, they would each have to send out as many coins as they receive. Please correct me if I mis-calculated this, it is quite confusing!

50 people get one new, and keep one of their own, and 50 people get two new ones, and send two of their own maybe??

Yes themore I think about it the more confusing it seems. LOL But it appears to me that in total each person will send out two packages and to come out even will have to also at some point during the exchange also receive two.

thats what i came up with too, unless 50 people are A and 50 people are B, which might work?? Im having trouble figuring it out

This is very simplist but I think of it like this.

--If on a designated day 100 people sent out a package. Those 100 people then will receive a package. So at this moment they have all sent one and received one coin.

--They all then send out another package (either the coin they received or another out of their collection) They will now all receive the second package. Now they have all send out 2 coins in 2 separate packages and also received two coins in two separate packages. Even steven.

Of course all this sending is going on at different times but maybe some will want to see the two packages before sending out their second

Alright now that I am home I got a chance to look at the spreadsheet I put together. I clearly see how I have it outlined will not work!!!

In the end you will never receive a coin since if you decide to not keep the coin and only passed it on then there goes your coin.

In the end I think that I will have to just resort the the same old coin exchange with the bonus later.

However lets get back to the root of this thread, It did say in the title "Your thoughs and Ideas". Since everyone has an understanding of what I was trying to accomplish(no,coinfusing everyone was not the main objective) does anyone have any suggestions on actually making an exchange work???

Alright now that I am home I got a chance to look at the spreadsheet I put together. I clearly see how I have it outlined will not work!!!

In the end you will never receive a coin since if you decide to not keep the coin and only passed it on then there goes your coin.

In the end I think that I will have to just resort the the same old coin exchange with the bonus later.

However lets get back to the root of this thread, It did say in the title "Your thoughs and Ideas". Since everyone has an understanding of what I was trying to accomplish(no,coinfusing everyone was not the main objective) does anyone have any suggestions on actually making an exchange work???

OK - glad you said this because as I was reading it just now it seemed that some people could end up with no coin at all after having sent at least one out. I think LB4T was close except we all fail at the part where we receive a coin and then send that coin on. If a person sends one of their own coins out and forwards on the one they recieved to thier 2nd addressee, the person sending would only get one coin, while others will receive 2.

I ran through several scenarios and none are working if we plan to forward the coin we receive on. Must be the time of night. :lol:

Stick to 100 people, 1 coin sent out.

Edited by GPX Navigators

If each participant is in both the A and the B list doesn't is all work out in the end. and you at least end up with one different coin. Or 2 if after the first round you decide to keep it and send on another one that you already had. But your overall number of coins will have remained the same as it's like doing 2 trades or acting as a middle man for 1 ??

So 100 folks in the trade

They pick a coin to send and send it to their A person - (who is also one of the participants)

All A's get a coin - at this point everyone has sent one and received one.

Now you have a choice to send on the coin you have just got, or keep it and pick another from your collection to send.

All A's now send to their B name

All B's get a coin

so by now everyone will have sent and received 2 coins, even though one of the ones you sent was the first one you got

as long as the B is not the originator to send to A and B decides to pass the coin on ie back to A otherwise it's all back to the beginning.

Actually you could do this forever - 100 participants and you all get allocated a number, the first day of every month a new list is generated with a name against your number who is the person you need to send a coin to...

I think

Sue

As I am from Germany, I don't understand the "White Elephant"-thing... could someone please explain that to me?!

Have a look at the english version of wikipedia. This game seems to be a variation of "wichteln" or "schrott-wichteln" if you know that. If you need more explanations in german, contact me through my profile or via mail: my nickname here @gmx.de

Well, with all this (home-grown) coinfusion around, i don't understand why anybody should go out of this game with one coin less than before. If there are two lists (for example call them List for sending A and List for sending B ) and everybody is sender and reciever on both lists, everything should work fine.

In the beginning the senders on List A mail their coins to "their" recievers. Some days after that everybody gets a coin. So everybody sent a coin and got one, mission A accomplished. Now let's switch to list B. Every sender can decide to resend its new coin or to send one out of his stock to his new reciever. The coins are send and arrive some days later. Again everybody sent one coin and recieved one.

Everyone sent one of his/her own coins in the beginning of part A, everyone recieved one of his/her coins at the end of part B. Some of us resend their A coin during part B, so that's it for them. They give one coin and get one coin. Some of us keep their coins recieved in A, so they have to send another "own" coin. They give two coins and get two. That's it - so hard to understand? :lol:

Edited by wutzebear

Everyone sent one of his/her own coins in the beginning of part A, everyone recieved one of his/her coins at the end of part B. Some of us resend their A coin during part B, so that's it for them. They give one coin and get one coin. Some of us keep their coins recieved in A, so they have to send another "own" coin. They give two coins and get two. That's it - so hard to understand? :lol:

No, not really. For me it's quite clear how it should work! It is just an exchange of coins, no one will have one more or less at the end. Just one or two other coins...